Suggestions for pushing the Limit for combat Encounters

SO!

if any of you saw my post in the player advocate forums(which i doubt cause i only posted 30 or so minutes ago) then you are away of the insanity with which i am attempting to suggest.

i recently read a thread in this very section that suggest having more landable content. while that was nice in and of itself i thought to myself when i noticed this one comment(that comment being that something 25 CL's higher would be practically untouchable. ) which made me think...

My idea will seem like to some as further granulation, and not very helpful but i think it has some merit... in that it will allow us to tackle higher level combat content... without having to do much more than adding a skill and possibly new items to match in effectiveness...

i was thinking that all races have there specials, Lasers for the Jennies, Projies for the Progies, and Missles for the terrans, what if we made this more niche... like say damage type specialization skill added...

so say for instance.

Progen = Explosive

Terran = Chemical

Jenquai = Plasma

we not only add racial bonuses(if thats possible) to the various races for the damage type. we add a skill to enhance that either by increasing damage by a certain percentage or offering other effects to damage over time,
this would allow us to tackle other content well beyond out current CL limits.

the only downside i could see here is balancing PVE vs PVP, obviously these increases would unbalance PVP. which would have to be remedied. but either introducing stronger equipment modules or re-scaling sheilds/health so as to give a further gradual increase over time to match the improvement to the damage types.

again though. this is just a rough... very rough idea i wanted to throw out here for discussion :)

Progen & Terrans could probably switch, since PLs mostly don't have explosive ammo, while MLs do. Progen are generally better off with the 3 damage types they have, impact, chem, and Plasma on their PLs. Grav-link has hidden debuffs, I think one of them is to impact, and they have an existing line of chemical debuffers, while only the PE has a good line of explosive debuffers, since the salamander line is explorer only.

[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1302634901' post='38910']
Progen & Terrans could probably switch, since PLs mostly don't have explosive ammo, while MLs do. Progen are generally better off with the 3 damage types they have, impact, chem, and Plasma on their PLs. Grav-link has hidden debuffs, I think one of them is to impact, and they have an existing line of chemical debuffers, while only the PE has a good line of explosive debuffers, since the salamander line is explorer only.
[/quote]

didn't consider the equipment bonuses... primarily because the low level equip doesn't always have much in relation to that...

i still think a race specific bonus would go more towards driving a focus towards a specific weapon type and damage type to help with min-maxing and getting the most out of our 150 levels... i also wonder, because this was mentioned by terrell, to offset the addition of new skills could we need slowly start to ramp up the amount of skill points gained from levels? like say once you hit trade/combat/explore level 20 you start to get 2 skill points per level instead of one? this will of course all require balancing and examination to make sure there is no fit of unexpended skill points... but i hope the gist of the example is apparent. Edited by akira87429

[quote name='akira87429' timestamp='1302642010' post='38915']
didn't consider the equipment bonuses... primarily because the low level equip doesn't always have much in relation to that...

i still think a race specific bonus would go more towards driving a focus towards a specific weapon type and damage type to help with min-maxing and getting the most out of our 150 levels... i also wonder, because this was mentioned by terrell, to offset the addition of new skills could we need slowly start to ramp up the amount of skill points gained from levels? [b]like say once you hit trade/combat/explore level 20 you start to get 2 skill points per level instead of one?[/b] this will of course all require balancing and examination to make sure there is no fit of unexpended skill points... but i hope the gist of the example is apparent.
[/quote]
I believe that at L20 of one exp bar (Example CL20) gives 2 SP per lvl after, then at L40 of a exp bar you get 3. Correct me if im wrong but think those are the points given.

[quote name='Maniac' timestamp='1302643997' post='38918']
I believe that at L20 of one exp bar (Example CL20) gives 2 SP per lvl after, then at L40 of a exp bar you get 3. Correct me if im wrong but think those are the points given.
[/quote]

which if thats the case... then it should make a bit easier to implement something like this as we know there is a value to modify sp received per level... or at least it would lend itself to that thinking..

[quote name='akira87429' timestamp='1302642010' post='38915']

i still think a race specific bonus would go more towards driving a focus towards a specific weapon type and damage type to help with min-maxing and getting the most out of our 150 levels... i also wonder, because this was mentioned by terrell, [b]to offset the addition of new skills could we need slowly start to ramp up the amount of skill points gained from levels? like say once you hit trade/combat/explore level 20 you start to get 2 skill points per level instead of one? this will of course all require balancing and examination to make sure there is no fit of unexpended skill points... but i hope the gist of the example is apparent[/b].
[/quote]

This increase of skill points at L20 in each XP type to 2 per level, and at L40 to 3 per level already happens. 2 new L7 skills for everyone, means that 42 skill points would be required to max both new skills. I'd suggest raising total skill points by somewhere between 21 and 30, give or take if everyone got 19 skills instead of 17. It's enough to max at least 1 of the new skills, but would still require you to make decisions w/r/t the new skills.

It's still possible to eventually max everything, but it will take many overdings to do it, and how many depends on your class. For the original 6 classes PE and TW took the fewest(397), PW & JW took the most (419), and TT/JE were in the middle (412). The JT requires 379 if her skills have no further changes, the Scout requires 368 according to the planner, and the PT takes 376, but is 1 skill short. Those numbers are the total amount of skill points required, including the ones you get prior to 150.

Edit: You earn 276 skill points between L0 and L150.

just to clarify Terrell, are you suggesting this as an extra skill that needs to be learned and then have points spent on it, or just an intrinsic skill that gives a background handling bonus?

I like this idea, adds further richness. Perhaps a small amount of extra skill points could be awarded at key 'achievement' intervals, like say for warrior class their first solo level 20 CL kill, for Tradesmen upon completion of a dangerous trade/blockade run and maybe for explorers the first level 5 asteroid they prospect, or their first self-pushed wormhole to VT (which for me back in live was a key event for the game).

I don't know if this would unbalance things though ... Maybe this could just be left as a thing to develop at the 150+ levels? After all there should be some variation in styles depending on which path you want to go down for that character.

It's really Akira's idea, first proposed in the feedback thread about TWs. I think it's a great idea, for each class to get 2 more L7 skills, I think that all the classes would love this, but the Scout and especially the Seeker, would love it the most. I was thinking awarding some extra skill points before 150, to account partially for the new skills, but not enough to max more than 1 of them, with a few points left over, so you still had to make decisions. Even with more skill points before 150, but less than enough to max both new skills, the players end up needing more overdings than they need now to max everything.

I don't know if, when each class got a new skill early in live, there were any adjustments in the earning of skill points. It's quite possible that the original amount of skill points in getting to 150, may have been based on everyone having 16 skills before it was upped to 17, so if we up it to 19, then it makes sense to add some skill points.

Using overdings alone works too, I'm not sure what's better.