Mining

You call this a stress test and it is. I signed up to play the Earth & Beyond I knew so well. I built up skills in LIVE. One of them that carried forward was the ability to dance while I mined. Now I know this does not mean a lot to most of you, and that is okay. But I am now afflicted with Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, and dexterity is definitely a problem for me. You call dexterity a skill, and I can assure you it is not. I am losing mine. And I do love mining. Please consider giving us back the ability to dance in the clouds. I miss it very much.

[quote name='mounas' timestamp='1302628317' post='38898']
You call this a stress test and it is. I signed up to play the Earth & Beyond I knew so well. I built up skills in LIVE. One of them that carried forward was the ability to dance while I mined. Now I know this does not mean a lot to most of you, and that is okay. But I am now afflicted with Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, and dexterity is definitely a problem for me. You call dexterity a skill, and I can assure you it is not. I am losing mine. And I do love mining. Please consider giving us back the ability to dance in the clouds. I miss it very much.
[/quote]

Dance?

Do you mean hit the emotes and spin/roll/loop/dive the ship?

[quote name='Telpahak' timestamp='1302634778' post='38908']
Dance?

Do you mean hit the emotes and spin/roll/loop/dive the ship?
[/quote]

No - I think one might have to have been really into mining to understand the emotion behind it. Mining was like a dance. Now with all the various interupts, it is like a chore. I seldom mine anymore, and even like glenn with that horrible woman telling me I cannot mine yet because my ship is in motion (I used to use the very act of mining to sling my ship into a stop.) the pleasure is gone.

Some of us are miners and some of us are hunters. I am a consumate miner - or I was....

sorry what is it you want me to do? I know the standstill thing is a pain, I keep meaning to fix it but then I have to fix connection issues instead. It was done originally to fix the problem where you'd be static and you'd still get that 'you must stop to mine' message.

I will make it less sensitive. Any other problems?

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1302663063' post='38977']
sorry what is it you want me to do? I know the standstill thing is a pain, I keep meaning to fix it but then I have to fix connection issues instead. It was done originally to fix the problem where you'd be static and you'd still get that 'you must stop to mine' message.

I will make it less sensitive. Any other problems?
[/quote]

Hey - you gotta do what you gotta do. I am not the only player in the game. The way I see it, the majority must take precedence. I was simply asking for a return to what was fun for me.

By the way... No drugs involved yet, and the immunosuppressive injections I must take daily have not arrived yet. They do not sound like fun.

Less sensitvive? True dat Edited by mounas

that "you must stop moving to mine" message can be pretty annoying, especially when you aren't moving and have to begin moving then stop again to be able to mine. But yes, there are higher priorities for our server developers. However! if you are annoyed by ore guardians that are respawning frequently to interrupt your dance, I am working on making them more level balanced and less constant.

[quote name='Kenu' timestamp='1302715158' post='39028']
However! if you are annoyed by ore guardians that are respawning frequently to interrupt your dance, I am working on making them more level balanced and less constant.
[/quote]

Special request to look at the Sults at one of the hidden fields in Nif. They are the most cantankerous, aggressive, and fast spawning field guardians I have ever seen. ;)

Lannister

[quote name='Kenu' timestamp='1302715158' post='39028']
that "you must stop moving to mine" message can be pretty annoying, especially when you aren't moving and have to begin moving then stop again to be able to mine. But yes, there are higher priorities for our server developers. However! if you are annoyed by ore guardians that are respawning frequently to interrupt your dance, I am working on making them more level balanced and less constant.
[/quote]

oooo. Thanks for reminding me. Kenu did indeed request a mod to allow him to be able to adjust the respawn times for guardians which I haven't done yet ...

because stability and login problems are more important, right tienbau?
though when your head hurts from bashing it into your keyboard too many times while trying to fix those problems, ore guardian timers could use a little attention ;)

I would say the belts seem too sparse right now. I do a lot of my mining out at Swooping Eagle currently. I was a PS miner back in beta out in Antares I think mostly and I also got out into Deneb way back when you had to fly to it with no points and they were beautiful and decked out in all kinds of stuff. Now they look barren and desolate and not worth the trouble of going to. Just my .02

Mmm, a mining thread I haven't dug into yet :D
Mining has changed back and forth a few times just in the few months since I got back. It's never had quite the flow to it it had in Live. That may be partly due to the fact that my miner hasn't maxed out his mining skills or equipment yet, but I think most of it is due to game mechanic differences.
I'll be busy elsewere this evening, but I'll go on a mining spree tomorrow night and get back to you with my evaluation.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1303197689' post='39373']
ok ... I have made a few improvements to warp and prospecting. Should make mining a bit less stressful! Just restarted the server with the changes, log in and see if it helps.
[/quote]
Working much better now, no delay to start mining after warp.

I have noticed that in addition to mining, both L1&2 cloak and powerdown also used the same rules for whether the ship was 'moving', would it be possible to seperate and return them to the previous PITA system, while keeping mining on this new system?
Powerdown could be exploited for advantages as it is now (moving while powered-down), cloak is irrelavent since noone uses L1/2 after they have combat cloak which can be used while moving anyway. Or have Powerdown bring the ship to a stop, the same way activating the prospect beam does.

[quote name='will' timestamp='1303221343' post='39391']

I have noticed that in addition to mining, both L1&2 cloak and powerdown also used the same rules for whether the ship was 'moving', would it be possible to seperate and return them to the previous PITA system, while keeping mining on this new system?
Powerdown could be exploited for advantages as it is now (moving while powered-down), cloak is irrelavent since noone uses L1/2 after they have combat cloak which can be used while moving anyway. Or have Powerdown bring the ship to a stop, the same way activating the prospect beam does.
[/quote]

Mostly good points but (very) minor disagreement about low level cloak - I still use it if I need to go AFK for a while in a guarded ore field as the low power drain allows my char to stay there virtually indefinitely. Have no problem being stationary before I can exercise it (like before), though, think that's a valid restriction.

Back to the main point - thank you Tien, I'll have to get back out there and check out the changes. It was really a pain before and why I stopped mining for a bit.

[quote name='will' timestamp='1303221343' post='39391']

Powerdown could be exploited for advantages as it is now (moving while powered-down)
[/quote]

well to be fair it only means that you can powerdown/cloak slightly more quickly than before.

Or is there still a way to move powered down? Could you give me an example please?

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1303267698' post='39487']
well to be fair it only means that you can powerdown/cloak slightly more quickly than before.

Or is there still a way to move powered down? Could you give me an example please?
[/quote]
You can activate the skills as long as your engine is 'off', while you are decelerrating to a stop. Which means you can move while powered-down until you run out of momentum. Mostly abusable by the current bug to come out of warp at warp speed, where you could power down while moving 5k+ thrust, and while on planets, where base speed is doubled, and you can reach up to 2k thrust easily. Once you've come to a stop, you are stuck there without ending powerdown. Easiest example I could think of is doing this to get to the center of a grav well while powered down, such as GoBB/Controller's grav well. Dont know how useful it is right now, but could also interfere with any future content located in gravwells/planets.

My ship now warps to 1.0k from any asteroids, where previously, my ship would warp to 0.0 from the asteroid. Was this change intentional?

Also, would it be possible to have initiating prospecting to drop cloak? This was how it worked on live.

[quote name='Yendor' timestamp='1303315066' post='39507']
My ship now warps to 1.0k from any asteroids, where previously, my ship would warp to 0.0 from the asteroid. Was this change intentional?
[/quote]
I noticed this too. I haven't bothered getting a tractor speed boost yet, but if this continues, I'll have to get one. The wait to tractor something in from 1 k is disproportionately long compared to the other stages of mining, at least without a boost...
Aside from that, mining now flows much better.

[quote name='will' timestamp='1303308908' post='39501']
You can activate the skills as long as your engine is 'off', while you are decelerrating to a stop. Which means you can move while powered-down until you run out of momentum. Mostly abusable by the current bug to come out of warp at warp speed, where you could power down while moving 5k+ thrust, and while on planets, where base speed is doubled, and you can reach up to 2k thrust easily. Once you've come to a stop, you are stuck there without ending powerdown. Easiest example I could think of is doing this to get to the center of a grav well while powered down, such as GoBB/Controller's grav well. Dont know how useful it is right now, but could also interfere with any future content located in gravwells/planets.
[/quote]

The Auto-Follow is also enabling use of Powerdown and Mining while moving right now, this is definently a new bug, as it didnt allow it a few weeks ago. Easily reproducible too, and not limited like the other methods.

[quote name='will' timestamp='1303388486' post='39560']
The Auto-Follow is also enabling use of Powerdown and Mining while moving right now, this is definently a new bug, as it didnt allow it a few weeks ago. Easily reproducible too, and not limited like the other methods.
[/quote]

ah good example, thanks! Also with warp to asteroids would 0.5k be better?

• 2 weeks later...
[quote]My ship now warps to 1.0k from any asteroids, where previously, my ship would warp to 0.0 from the asteroid. Was this change intentional?[/quote]

Yes, it was intentional to hopefully stop the infinite tractor beam that sometimes showed up when some people mined from 0.0 distance.

yes it was to try to stop the locked tractor beam. I have since changed the warp distance for resources so you approach to 0.5k, which should make the tractoring a bit faster.

It doesn't completely fix the locked beam as I've managed to get a few since the change went in, but in each case there was a tiny amount of lag at just the wrong moment.

One day I'll go in with packet logging, try to reproduce the issue and then try to work out what happens differently with the locked beam.