Foul and Offensive Lauguauge

We have had several reports of certain players using foul/offensive/abusive language, in the New Players, Market, General and Broadcast channels, THIS IS NOT ALLOWED. If players want to talk like that please take it to OCC or private tell channels. This game is a place for all ages and we want it to be enjoyable for everyone to enjoy and have fun. From this point on ANYONE that cant seem to control their language will receive a 72hr ban. If you think this is unfair please refer to the Rules of Conduct that you agree to every time you start the game. So let's think before we speak and everyone please enjoy this great game.

Side Note: For EVERYONE that is reporting this type of incident you need to have a screenshot of the player acting out in this offensive nature.
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What about using the good old speech-filter like in live?

and why do you need a screenshot to verify?
thought you guys can read the files?

Besides this i DO appreciate a polite and kind conversation too,
but don't need "political correctness"

[color=#444444][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial,]AND

i would appreciate the way SoldierGM handled it:

he checked the files and talked personally to the player who was involved.......

much more the enb way imao [/font][/color]

[quote name='gretl' timestamp='1302550011' post='38829']
What about using the good old speech-filter like in live?

and why do you need a screenshot to verify?
thought you guys can read the files?

Besides this i DO appreciate a polite and kind conversation too,
but don't need "political correctness"
[/quote]

Speech filter is kind of a joke, I mean I don't have a problem with vulgar language but for those that do, it blocks the word but it does not filter you being able to discern what is generally meant just based on the sentence and the conversation.

Like if I were to say..."**** you, you can suck my ****" it doesn't take a genius to fill in those blanks even though I "filtered" the words. So yeah, be respectful of others and just watch what you say, not that hard and if it is, you have issues. :) Edited by DiabloMuerto

While I do believe that foul language does not have a place in MMO gaming, atleast on public channels, I do find it curious that it should be brought up by a GM named after an offensive act.
  • Downvote 1

[quote name='Laloric' timestamp='1302558772' post='38847']
While I do believe that foul language does not have a place in MMO gaming, atleast on public channels, I do find it curious that it should be brought up by a GM named after an offensive act.
[/quote]

Gleek was the space monkey pet of the Wonder Twins, from the 1970s/80s era Saturday morning cartoon show, the "Superfriends".

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Wondertwinsross.jpg[/img]

Unless this has taken on some horrific meaning like about 99.9995% of the entries on the Urban Dictionary site...

At any rate, best practice for a game with exposure to minor children:

[i][b]Don't say it if it isn't something you'd say to your mom or to your boss.[/b][/i]

(This assumes you love your mom, and don't want to be fired from your job.... lol )

[quote name='-Seeker-' timestamp='1302559176' post='38849']
Gleek was the space monkey pet of the Wonder Twins, from the 1970s/80s era Saturday morning cartoon show, the "Superfriends".
[/quote]

Seeker, gorwing up we used to call forcing spit between your front teeth "gleeking"
[b]"Spitting[/b] or [b]expectoration[/b] is the act of forcibly ejecting [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva"][color="#0645ad"]saliva[/color][/url] or other substances from the mouth. It is currently considered rude and a social [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo"][color="#0645ad"]taboo[/color][/url] in many parts of the world including the West, while in some such as [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China"][color="#0645ad"]China[/color][/url] it is considered more acceptable. It is possible to transmit infectious [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease"][color="#0645ad"]diseases[/color][/url] in this way.

Spitting upon another person, especially onto the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face"][color="#0645ad"]face[/color][/url], is a universal sign of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anger"][color="#0645ad"]anger[/color][/url], [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatred"][color="#0645ad"]hatred[/color][/url] or [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contempt"][color="#0645ad"]contempt[/color][/url]. It can represent a "symbolical regurgitation" or an act of contamination."

But unfortunately all I can find is a Wiki on it, [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleek_(Involuntary_spit)"]Here[/url].

Oh and I never heard of that show, must have been under the radar on me.
  • Downvote 1

[quote name='Laloric' timestamp='1302558772' post='38847']
[/quote]

If a type of spitting is considered an offensive act, I'd like to know when I moved to bizzaro world.
  • Upvote 1

I completely understand Laloric is only posting an interesting bit of irony, and growing up, I myself remember calling that act of spitting the same thing, (run on sentence yet?) I don't think it is relevant enough to distract from the OP which is, (has to be run on by now) that offensive language is not appropriate in an MMO. To drive that point home, I'm an instructor in the military and I don't allow offensive language in my classroom, regardless of all of us being "thick-skinned" and grown up. I do swear, but it has it's places; gaming, where it may impact another person's enjoyment and in the professional classroom environment where it can detract from the lesson are not among the list of places it should be allowed.

[quote name='Eviticus' timestamp='1302567987' post='38864']
If a type of spitting is considered an offensive act, I'd like to know when I moved to bizzaro world.
[/quote]

+1
Never heard of "gleek" in that contest in my rather long life until it was posted here, in fact until now "gleek" was just nonsensical word . . . and still is.

I've also heard 'Gleek' as a term to describe rabid "Glee" fans (awful FOX TV show).

ANYWAY... Just don't run your mouth on the public channels with offensive language. It's not hard to figure out what's offensive, so "It doesn't seem that bad to me" isn't going to fly. Just be a reasonable human being and there'll be nothing to worry about, lol.

Also, if you want to report someone spouting nasty language, etc., in a public channel, please try to include the exact date and time it occurred. You can easily include this information in your screenshot by running the "/time" command right before you take the screenshots, which will print out the current UTC date and time. That'll make it much much easier for us to search the chat logs. Thanks.

Just be nice!

[quote name='GenghisBob' timestamp='1302663360' post='38978']
That should fix the problem! The 12% of players that read this forum post should consider themselves warned.

Not that I disagree with the post, but what percent of players have/will read this post?
[/quote]
I don't think it matters much. Those who read this post will be warned, those who didn't read it or who just don't listen will get a 72 hour ban. This is all common-sensical anyhow.
  • Upvote 3

Aww man for ****** **** sake...

Why the ****** **** are we ****** talking about some **** that can be ****** avoided with a ******-****** swear filter?

GM's have nothing better to do? Maybe change your tag to [SS] instead?
  • Downvote 5

Read the code of conduct/ rules and regulations and pay close attention to page 8 rules 2 and 5. Do you have nothing better to do than harass the staff about enforcing the rules that you agree to everytime you log in?

I don't think you understand...

I won't be doing anything else but filling out complaint forms all day - just to get people banned.

Don't you see how much fun you can give me like this?
  • Downvote 2

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1302726864' post='39045']

I won't be doing anything else but filling out complaint forms all day - just to get people banned.

[/quote]

Have you ever read the story, "The boy who cried wolf."? Sheesh, we're going to know if people abuse that sorta thing, honestly, and point for point, he's got you. The rules apply to you, like it or lump it. The GM isn't being SS or overzealous, besides, using the SS as comparison you are coming into danger of invoking Godwin's Law. Tread lightly lest ye lose by internet default. ;P

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1302726864' post='39045']

[/quote]
Hey. Guess what's a good way to get yourself banned? (That) ;)

P.S. In all seriousness, don't do that. We have chat logs, we will look through them, and when we find that you're making false accusations and wasting the GMs' time, the banhammer is going to swing right back around in your direction.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1302729825' post='39056']
Hey. Guess what's a good way to get yourself banned? (That) :(

P.S. In all seriousness, don't do that. We have chat logs, we will look through them, and when we find that you're making false accusations and wasting the GMs' time, the banhammer is going to swing right back around in your direction.
[/quote]

Pretty sure he wasn't going to make false accusations. When I played language happened at least every 3 minutes or so with all chat channels up. Usually Ty understands basic concepts of reality from what I know.

[size="3"][i]Just saying[/i][/size]

[quote name='Heirku' timestamp='1302817653' post='39129']
Pretty sure he wasn't going to make false accusations. When I played language happened at least every 3 minutes or so with all chat channels up. Usually Ty understands basic concepts of reality from what I know.

[size="3"][i]Just saying[/i][/size]
[/quote]

Am I misreading sarcasm?

[quote name='Tyran']
[color=#444444][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial,]I won't be doing anything else but filling out complaint forms all day - just to get people banned.[/font][/color]
[font="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial,"][color="#444444"][/quote][/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial,"][color="#444444"]
[/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma, Verdana, Arial,"][color="#444444"]I think that's (at least) arguably a statement of intent. :([/color][/font]

Just back from IRL farming so late response but...

C DEL you obviously don't understand this. Heirku is right.

As for Kyp...

Should a person be banned for loving to try to get people banned who break the rules? There is no abuse there, not even if I enrage people enough to swear in public channels. It is their responsibility that they swear and if anything the GM's should be happy that there is a watchful eye helping zem enforce ze regime.

(I'd like to also mention I was doing geological surveying at a certain Kyp river the other day. You know what I did? I pee'd in it.)

Going back to farming again now :lol:
  • Downvote 1

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1303431434' post='39591']
As for Kyp...

Should a person be banned for loving to try to get people banned who break the rules? There is no abuse there, not even if I enrage people enough to swear in public channels. It is their responsibility that they swear and if anything the GM's should be happy that there is a watchful eye helping zem enforce ze regime.
[/quote]

No, you're right, if they cuss its their fault, I imagine they'll use ignore on you to solve the problem. However, it [b]is[/b] abuse to just report people who aren't guilty, which is what it looked like you were saying, seeing as it is what you said. If you do that, you will be punished no matter how you look at it. If you do it within the rules, and provide people who are swearing they will be punished and you will be doing a good deed... which would make me think you were sick, given your history on here. :D

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1303431434' post='39591']

(I'd like to also mention I was doing geological surveying at a certain Kyp river the other day. You know what I did? I pee'd in it.)

Going back to farming again now :lol:
[/quote]

*checks himself* I am not a river, and I have no pee around me, therefore I do not give the slightest damn. I hope you filled it up and it made you feel good about yourself. :P
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1303432808' post='39592']
No, you're right, if they cuss its their fault, I imagine they'll use ignore on you to solve the problem. However, it [b]is[/b] abuse to just report people who aren't guilty, which is what it looked like you were saying, seeing as it is what you said.[/quote]Didn't really say that but like Heirku said - people like to swear so there is plenty of ban potential and I will be filling out forms all day, for my pleasure.

Like during live, I got a few people's names changed by reporting them because they contained 'the' and 'of' type of words - all were L135+ and ended up with silly random names chosen by a GM :)

Funny thing an ingame so-called friend once told me that some ****** reported his guildie's name and it got changed. Did a silent evil laughter that moment :D

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1303432808' post='39592']*checks himself* I am not a river, and I have no pee around me, therefore I do not give the slightest damn.
[/quote]Symbolism?

Oh wait, you're too mad to realize that. Tyran -11 : River Kyp -15 (since it's not me)

Now rly going...

Tyran,

You really need to learn to understand emotion, you don't even rile me. If you did, I'd ban you and that'd be the end of it. :)

I usually get a chuckle out of your posts, but that's about the extent of it.

Also, take it back on subject and quit trying to start a fight, you're not gonna get it. Keep poking me and we'll start with a mod review on all posts to make sure you can't post anything inflamatory toward me or anyone else.