Poll: is your machine modern-era or E&B era?

234 members have voted

1. 1. Is your machine...

• Relatively current as of now (blows E&B away)
    • Relatively current as of E&B sunset (played E&B very well but is rather outdated now)
    • Outdated as of E&B sunset
    • none of the above (clarify?)

i still remember the 5 1/4 floppys)

That was a nice improvement from the tape drives. Tapes would take forever to load. My first floppy was Zork(1), and still have it though the data has probably oozed off the edges by now heh. Funny, I still play around with Inform, compiler and all that, fun stuff. Inform/Infocom = the great-great granddaddy of mmorpg's.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My PC is to slow to run EnB and Windows Media Player at the same time. When hunting, I also need to turn the graphics options waaayy down.

I need a new PC.

I also have a 5.25 drive somewhere in the attic. Haven't used it recently, so I don't know whether my disks have turned to ooze yet or not. I have the original SimCity (it came with both 3.5 and 5.25 disks), F19 Stealth Fighter, Out of This World and a football game all on 5.25 disks. Maybe some others I can't remember. My versions of Zork are all on a single CD compilation released by Interplay years back.

My 3.5 drive is actually an Super Disk drive that uses the IDE bus. It's about 50% faster (and much quieter) than a normal 3.5 drive, but still slows down my other IDE drives so I leave it unplugged/disabled. I should replace it with an external USB drive.

I play on several machines, all newer than my old rig (which still runs but I gave it to a friend), but the coolest one is definitely the netbook. It's of "this generation" and generally sucks at playing games since it's..well, a netbook. But, since ENB is so old it actually runs it quite well.

Sorry to hear about your old PC dude. That thing belongs in a museum!

still remember that game: http://www.mobygames.com/game/pc-booter/alley-cat/screenshots

A few months ago I found a stack of old 5 1/4" Disks. As I never changed my desktop case there still is the original drive in it. So I inserted the disk, told my BIOS to boot it and it worked.

It was the right speed and 4 color CGA. Awesome coding. No useless OS. Loads in a few seconds. And still is a lot of fun. If only it had soundcard support instead of the gruesome bleeping.

My rig is pretty old now tho: AMD Athlon Slot 800MHz, GeForce 4 TI 4600 128MB, 768 MB SDRAM-133. Runs EnB pretty well.

Framerate drops a little in larger Asteroid Fields tho.

It just won't break down so I can buy a new one :mellow:

I don't even know.

3.6Ghz Celeron (Single Core)

2GB Kingston DDR2

512MB Radeon HD 2600 Pro

And some random HDs I found from an old system I had.

I kinda put it all together 6yrs ago (Minus the Gfx card). It still runs decently. Can play Dragon Age, Call of Duty 4, Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5, etc. So I can't complain :P

EVGA 8800GTS 2.5 GB video ram

3.0 system RAM

Duo Core 2.4ghz processor (both cores OC'd to 3.0)

I believe that counts as blowing E&B away. :P Gaming is my life. So much so that I'm in the process of going to school for gaming design and development.

My specs are way over E&B capabilities.

Asus M3A32-MVP

Phenom II X4 955

8GB DDR2 800

Sapphire HD4870 512MB

300GB Velociraptor

2TB SATA

320GB WD IDE

NEC 3500 DVD/RW

Creative Soundworks DTT3500 5.1

Leadtek WinFast PxDVR3200 H

PC Power & Cooling 750W CF Edition

Coolermaster Cosmos S

Samsung 2232BW

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case x1

G.SKILL 2GB DDR3 ram x2

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard x1

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor x1

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP x2

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7210.12 32meg cache x2

SeaSonic S12D 850 Silver 850W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Active PFC Power x1

LG W2353V-PF Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail x1

Just ordered this setup, should have it in about a week, will post pictures once I get it completely set up.

My XFX Radeon 5850 showed up today, looking forward to adding that in to replace the Radeon 2900. For EnB, prolly no difference thought I do wonder about how it might address the slowdowns when approaching things like ore fields and such.

My XFX Radeon 5850 showed up today, looking forward to adding that in to replace the Radeon 2900. For EnB, prolly no difference thought I do wonder about how it might address the slowdowns when approaching things like ore fields and such.

I recentlly upgraded the video on my current machine to the Nividia GEforce 8400 GS, previously I was using the onboard video from my ASUS P5KPL-CM MOBO. I noticed significant differences of gate times and docking, everything looked much smoother and loaded much faster, so I believe you will notice big differences, I did.

I just ordered this:

Alienware AuroraALX Cosmic Black Chassis

Intel Core i7 Processor 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB cache, 4.8GT/sec)

12GB 1333MHz (6x2GB) Tri Channel Memory

1TB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 "Stripe" (2x500GB - 7200rpm)

1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5870 graphics card

Soundblaster XFi Titanium PCIe card

Have to wait until the 5th of Feb thou:( :(

I just ordered this:

Alienware AuroraALX Cosmic Black Chassis

Intel Core i7 Processor 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB cache, 4.8GT/sec)

12GB 1333MHz (6x2GB) Tri Channel Memory

1TB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 "Stripe" (2x500GB - 7200rpm)

1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 5870 graphics card

Soundblaster XFi Titanium PCIe card

Have to wait until the 5th of Feb thou:( :(

Those Radeon cards are the best on the market for their price. I wanted to get some 5970's but they are out of stock until the middle of Feb.

Those Radeon cards are the best on the market for their price. I wanted to get some 5970's but they are out of stock until the middle of Feb.

Now that TSMC is reporting they've fixed their problems with low yield at the 40nm processor fab it should help a lot clearing the backlog and maybe even restoring these items back towards their original price points. I was lucky enough to get my 5850 at the original $259 MSRP but I'm a stubborn SOB and was willing to wait on Amazon - I realize not everybody else is as patient - or as cheap :( - as me.

So anywhooo there's a good chance you mgith get your order fulfilled ahead of time.

Over the last year and a half  I have slowly been upgrading; and now between the Black Friday deals at NewEgg and a couple christmas gifts I now have a completely new rig that is now last year's tech lol, but will last me for a long time:

HAF 932 case

700w generic modular psu (can't complain for $35 and free shipping)

Asus P5Q-SE mobo

Core 2 Quad 9650 with Zalman Fatal1ty HSF

8Gb (4x2) ddr2-800 with stock timings 4-4-4-12   2x2 Mushkin blackline enhanced, 2x2 Patriot viper II

HIS 4890 factory oc 900/1000  (I blew-up my 4870 by leaving skylight open and it rained, they sent me a 4890 as a replacement(didn't tell them it was my fault))

Razer Barracuda audio card, Tarantula kybd, Copperhead mouse

Logitech Z5300 THX 500w 5.1

LG 22x dvd burner

LG 8x BluRay burner

Acer 24" 1920x1080 2ms monitor

Hitachi 2TB HDD

Pretty new rigg here:

Windows 7 64 bit

CPU: Intel i7 processor 920 2.6ghz

Mobo: xfx intel x58i mobo

PSU: Toughpower 850Watts

Ram: 6gig paired Corsair Dominator

HDD: 1x WD 75gig Raptor, 1x terabyte WD , 1x WD 350gig, 1x External Seagate 1 terabyte

GPU: Running 2x Nvidia XFX 275gtx

Soundcard: Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Fatal1ty Professional Series

Cooling: Alphacool Chieftec Aegis CX-05 pure copper watercooled.

Running on a Samsung 22" Syncmaster t220 20000:1 dynamic contrast

LG Blu Ray drive

Extras:

Keyboard: Logitech G15 (new version)

Mouse: Logitech G5

To really answer ... there are 3 quad core high end gamer machines in the house , one is a dedicated media server, and an Xp single core laptop.

Up until a month ago there were 2 quads, and two old dual cores on vista. I sold the machine I ran E&B on originly, BUT i run it on a laptop I enherited back from somone. ( an aspire 9400 with 2 g's of ram, so about the same as a good desktop would have been in the E&B days ) , I doubt I will upgrade it, Microsoft says it will run Windows 7 but it's almost as cheap for me to buy a new laptop and I play Startrek online so I think I see one in the not too distant future.

We just got rid of the last of the vista virus in the house and upgraded to windows 7. I oddly only hated vista for being slow and a Memory pig. We somehow managed to avoid all the problems with it everyone had. :angry: Yeha oddly Xp was more drama here ... I will never know why ... :lol:

same old dinosaur...

1.3ghz p4, 768mb rambus rdram, 120gb HD, 128mb Nvidia GeForce 4400 AGP 2x. ;P

1.5ghz laptop/tablet, 1024mb ddr, 40gb HD, no "real" vid card.

OMG RAMBUS!!!!!!!!

I had a similar rambus setup for live.

3.06 HT P4

512 rambus 1066mhz

40GB HHD

AGP 5200FX(I think it was)

17" Viewsonic CRT

Cheapo Evercool water cooling

Now:

AMD 940 BE at 3.6

4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2

30GB OCZ SSD +250GB HDD

XFX 260GTX BE

42" Vizio LCD

Same water cooler

N this one can play ENB and number crunch with BOINC at same time with no lag.

:) OK I had a Dinosaur

A 1st AN17,mobo - adopted it from an old server box.

Geforce 4400,video card

512mb of Penyon,ram

300w ATX GU,psu

single core amd 2200+,cpu - that was a lot of power back then. :P

and it ran for awhile with XP and even through Vista until Vista SP1 was born and then that corrupted the bios on it lol but sense then it played E&B good enough for that and a few other mmorpgs games not to mention eve. lol

Then there came the transformation which I knew I needed a reliable and long lasting gaming rig if i was going to build one. So i decided to swap my parts for these it was cheap cost 1/2 less then an AlienWare tower and saved energy too. :P

Out with the old and in with the new!

GA-EP45-DS3R, mobo - (1600Mhz fsb),(2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 video slots),(dual Bios) got it right when it was being announced got a discount b4 they raised the price and realized how energy efficient it was.

Nivida EVGA Geforce-8800GT,gpu - checked the results it is most stable and rarely over heated during that year out of all it's numbers.

Wolfdale E8400 3Ghz,cpu - decided to switch with Intel because speed was my main issue with multi-tasking on a computer.

Corsair 2x XMS(ddr2),ram - got those as a freebie from a friend. :)

BFG Tech 550w,psu - for now 1000w does not look good on my bill so I'll stick to the 550w sense my PC is energy efficient.

With this cheap budget build I'm practically saving money while still being able to have a good time blowing stuff up in E&B and cost less then the full price of a AlienWare gaming rig. xD There is of course much more pluses to this build but you can do the research. :P

I play on my Dell Studio XPS 1640 laptop.

This thing is awesome.

Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 CPU running at 2.66 GHz

8 GB DDR3 RAM

500GB Western Digital SATAII HDD

Also running a 1 TB External eSATA HDD

ATI HD 4670 with 1 GB Dedicated RAM

blu-ray drive

1920x1080 screen resolution.

for a laptop is not bad.