TS or JE advice

So I used to play this game quite a bit on live, but now I am in love with this emulator project. Brings back such good memories.

Anyways I was always an explorer at heart. I loved randomly free warping around to find new locations and mine some rare stuff. I like to be able to contribute to a group and be able to handle my own against something long enough to kill it... or get away.

This path obviously took me to a JE or PS. PS was too slow and bulky for me. Didn't have sex appeal like JE did... so JE was the winner lol. JE isn't very strong tho, so avoidance is a better choice than confrontation.

Now there is the ability to make the 3 unreleased classes....

Should I go TS or JE for my mining/exploring/soloing needs?

Does the TS cargo space become an issue?

Will TS offer higher survivability without becoming a full blown warrior type?

Jenquai Explorer v Terran Scout:

Scout's Advantages:
L9 Engines, upgrades 10 levels earlier than JE. Fastest Class, period.
Larger Cargo Hold
Negotiate for cheaper refining/building, better prices for vendored ore
4 weapons rather than the JE's 3
Afterburn Skill, to be added.
Longer range weapons
Has use for Explorer Only explosive debuffer.
Better Device builder, due to lack of racial restrictions in building.
Can use equipment from all 3 races.

Scout's Disadvantages:
Ammo Costs
Can't build ammo
No hide skill, but shields only L8.
Higher base signature, but partially offset by access to Jenquai engines.
2 skills need adding (Afterburn & Null-Factor)
L5 Hacking probably of limited use, if any.
2nd build skill, Engines, among least popular build skills.

JE's advantages:
L9 Reactor, and reactor upgrades 10 levels sooner than other explorers
Can cloak to avoid being seen
No ammo use/costs in main racial weapon
Better 2nd build skill, reactor, compared to Engines. JT; however, can build reactors with Negotiate 5.
Lower base racial sig (0.5 v 2.5)
Can share scan range (only other class that can do that is JW)
Sheild Leech currently more useful than Live, but may change.

JE's Disadantages
Few Plasma choices in racial weapon. (all outside of race)
Fewest Weapon Mounts
Weakest hull
Weakest shield.

Get a PM Navigation Computer and put points into Navigate, regardless of Scout or JE. Both classes benefit greatly from this device (TTs do too). JE with a L7 one, max Navigate L8 Engine, and L8 200% quality Laz/RR+ can do 7567 Warp.

I love my TS when I am off on my own... I have to say JE is definitely a better support class then the TS. Even though the TS has HP a very desirable skill. They don't have access to as many equipment buffs as the JE, and the JE's Leach skill is very helpful in raid parties.

Also I should probably say that I had a much easier time leveling my TS to 150 then my JE.

Can JE handle their own at any point? I seem to be getting pretty wrecked by enemies at my CL. I guess this is why I wanted something a little more durable but still was able to mine.

So far it seems like TS is generally better for solo play than a TE? Edited by blindsyde

[quote name='blindsyde' timestamp='1302203271' post='38512']
Can JE handle their own at any point? I seem to be getting pretty wrecked by enemies at my CL. I guess this is why I wanted something a little more durable but still was able to mine.
[/quote]

For a JE you'll have to keep EL and TL ahead of CL. The Coma device isn't working properly yet, but when it does it will help you greatly, because it will reduce an enemy's ability to see you to hit you with return fire. They run from L3 to L9. You also want to get some plasma beams, and a chimaera device (plasma debuffer). There are some Terran manufactured plasma beams that are available at some vendors. Always use the lowest sig engines you can get your hands on with a JE, L2-L4 SS. AFAIK L7 and L8 SS aren't in game yet.

You also should make use of your teleport enemy skill (L3 Fold Space), it's not working quite as well as in Live, in that it teleports them randomly, rather than away from you, but it does work at the proper range now.

[quote name='blindsyde' timestamp='1302203271' post='38512']

So far it seems like TS is generally better for solo play than a TE?
[/quote]

It gets easier when you have Combat cloak, and as a JE make sure you keep the tl and el higher, then go back for cl, mine hulks for prototype sheilds as they have highest cap,a Ward of living stone is a good idea at device L5, plasma beams and a plasma debuffer/rada.
Not a uber killing machine like the PW a JE can kill single targets 10 levels over there own, just takes longer. Edited by questorzarnac

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1302219741' post='38548']
Well, when you said that JE's could use it I kinda figured, you know, that you knew what you were talking about? :P
[/quote]

my whole day and night time isn't meant for EnB only.

i have work, other projects, etc.
and lately i haven't had any free time at all.
that's why it reads Inactive on the left.

i have 3 terrans and that's where i put the time i have available to play on EnB, not on creating and maintaining more noob characters.
i assumed it was in-game because i've seen somewhere people talking about it.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Terrell' timestamp='1302203765' post='38513']
For a JE you'll have to keep EL and TL ahead of CL. The Coma device isn't working properly yet, but when it does it will help you greatly, because it will reduce an enemy's ability to see you to hit you with return fire. They run from L3 to L9. You also want to get some plasma beams, and a chimaera device (plasma debuffer). There are some Terran manufactured plasma beams that are available at some vendors. Always use the lowest sig engines you can get your hands on with a JE, L2-L4 SS. AFAIK L7 and L8 SS aren't in game yet.

You also should make use of your teleport enemy skill (L3 Fold Space), it's not working quite as well as in Live, in that it teleports them randomly, rather than away from you, but it does work at the proper range now.
[/quote]

Using a Solar Sail on a jenquai is about the most wrong choice you could make aside from the SS8. At level 2-7 you should be using Mercurius, Halley DDO, Triffid, as they have lower sigs and buff to lower sig even further. Versus the Solar sail which provides no benefits what so ever besides a 0 sig on the engine itself the thrust is also terrible compared to the other engines listed. Just saying...

[quote name='Redd' timestamp='1303266395' post='39485']
Using a Solar Sail on a jenquai is about the most wrong choice you could make aside from the SS8. At level 2-7 you should be using Mercurius, Halley DDO, Triffid, as they have lower sigs and buff to lower sig even further. Versus the Solar sail which provides no benefits what so ever besides a 0 sig on the engine itself the thrust is also terrible compared to the other engines listed. Just saying...
[/quote]

On a Jenquai with a solar sail and no other sig buffs or debuffs, you will have a sig of 0.5. If you use a Mercurius/Halley/Trifid engine on a Jenquai you will have a sig of at least 0.6, even when you include the sig buff on the engine. In order to get below base sig with a Jenquai using a Mercurius, Halley, or Trifid engine you will need an additional reduce sig buff (activated) or a larger equip buff than what comes on the engine to get your sig below the Jenquai base sig of 0.5.

For a Jenquai with a Mercurius L2:

Jenquai base sig = 0.5
Mercurius sig = 0.4
Sig reduction buff 26%

0.5 + 0.4 = 0.9

If the buff is taken off the total sig you get:
0.9 * .26 = 0.2 reduction in sig
0.9 - 0.2 = 0.7

If it only applies to base sig:
0.5 * .26 = 0.13 sig reduction

so 0.5 + 0.4 - 0.13 = 0.77

By comparison for a SS2: (all solar sail engines are 0 sig)
0.5 + 0.0 =0.5

If you use a Terran you would get a bigger buff, because of the larger base sig on a Terran toon of 2.5, 3.5 if a TW (or maybe my TW is broken, 'cause his base sig is higher than 2.5). This means you'll get bigger sig reductions as 26% of 2.5 (0.65) is a larger number than 26% of 0.5. For a Terran the Jenquai engines you mentioned are better than the Solar Sail, for a Jenquai the opposite is true. Thrust is a little less important for a Jenquai, since we cloak, and can also teleport things. When the coma starts working properly, that may change, a little, for some tactics.