Landing on more planets

I love this game but the one thing that really got me twisted when i started playing in like 2001, or when ever, is that you CAN'T land on Earth!!! What the **** is that? I mean that was the one planet I would have thought out of them all that we could land on, but NO.. Anyway I think it would be very VERY cool if we could have more planets to land on. I don't know, maybe I'm the only earthling that would like to do this.. lol .. this might be imposable to do, it might not, but its a cool thought Edited by Bonez

[quote name='Bonez' timestamp='1301439159' post='37708']
I love this game but the one thing that really got me twisted when i started playing in like 2001, or when ever, is that you CAN'T land on Earth!!! What the **** is that? I mean that was the one planet I would have thought out of them all that we could land on, but NO.. Anyway I think it would be very VERY cool if we could have more planets to land on. I don't know, maybe I'm the only earthling that would like to do this.. lol .. this might be imposable to do, it might not, but its a cool thought
[/quote]

i dont understand why you would want to land on earth while this game is all about out-of-earth experience!! if i really had a spaceship i wouldnt want to have the planet earth in front of me...would rather have it on my rear-view mirrors shrinking in size all the time!!!!

i would definitely love to land in kailasa and attain nirvana yall!!

UmaXX

We can create them, yes Rez. We have the technology. :D

Though, simply put by storyline the Progen scorched earth's surface, mostly. (They killed Terra, those bastards!) this is why the Earth's surface isn't included. It would be hard to create realistically and have it render in this engine and so on. Other planets may be a possibility, I mean look at Nostrand Vor, if I'm not mistaken the Progen team did something along the lines of Arrakis there.

[quote name='Indianajones' timestamp='1301464718' post='37786']
i dont understand why you would want to land on earth while this game is all about out-of-earth experience!! [/quote]

In his defense, the name of the game is [b]Earth[/b] & Beyond.

However as Kyp said the storyline talks about how Earth is not what it used to be. I would find it cool though if it could be a landable planet with a bunch of abandoned waypoints and broken buildings and such.

Its not so much abandoned, what usable space there is essentially farmland because none of the other planets found by humanity has proven very capable of producing crops that are edible to humans. The only exception I believe is Capella/Kailaasa (forget which is the planet in that sector offhand)

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1301503535' post='37835']
Its not so much abandoned, what usable space there is essentially farmland because none of the other planets found by humanity has proven very capable of producing crops that are edible to humans. The only exception I believe is Capella/Kailaasa (forget which is the planet in that sector offhand)
[/quote]

Yeah, it's Kailaasa. Master Sevti's dialogue talks of this.

I agree with those who suspect that Earth would be a lot of work for little return. In the eighties I always wanted to see much, much more of 23rd century Earth in the first six Star Trek movies. Then I began to come across interviews that explained why Earth, while an object to be saved from destruction, was not seen more in its 23rd century incarnation.

A sailor isn't going to have the same adventures in Norfolk or Portsmouth that s/he will have in the South Pacific or on the eighteenth century Barbary Coast. It's fun to see the size of Earth station (and I do think that should be that largest station) but the action, to paraphrase Captain Kirk, is "out there."

IMO, however, and being a Star Trek fan who believes in an optimistic view of humanity's ability to over come bad events, I strongly believe that the Terrans would have Earth up and running EXTREMELY quickly!

[quote name='echarboneau' timestamp='1301512042' post='37858']

IMO, however, and being a Star Trek fan who believes in an optimistic view of humanity's ability to over come bad events, I strongly believe that the Terrans would have Earth up and running EXTREMELY quickly!
[/quote]

Only if there's PROFIT in it! :D

If there's good ideas for planet based content, it'd be fun to have more landable planets. But never on the big name rocks, imho. Earth, Mars, Shakti, etc. Those ones should never be landable, would take all the mystery and imagination out of them.

[quote name='Yuritau' timestamp='1301517863' post='37866']
If there's good ideas for planet based content, it'd be fun to have more landable planets. But never on the big name rocks, imho. Earth, Mars, Shakti, etc. Those ones should never be landable, would take all the mystery and imagination out of them.
[/quote]

Would be cool to see what Earth's moon looks like (assuming some sort of developed infrastructure had been created there).

You mean, Luna? :D

there's no storyline linked to the surface of Luna that I'm aware of. I suppose it could possibly be done but one of those things I'd have to look at down the road.

This is a really interesting thread to me. It gets at the need to completely understand our alternative identities on EnB. Some of us want to know where we came from; what our place of origin is like, and how might it have formed us. That sounds like BS on one level, but for those of us really into the EnB storyline and think it was far, far ahead of its time, knowing where our avatar came from and how that place formed the current storyline/situation is a very interesting concept, even an endearing one.

But, alas, I still think creating Earth or Mars would be a lot of work for little return in terms of fun.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1301520197' post='37871']
You mean, Luna? :)

there's no storyline linked to the surface of Luna that I'm aware of. I suppose it could possibly be done but one of those things I'd have to look at down the road.
[/quote]

Yes - but it would need to be more accessible. On the assumption that there's nothing on Earth (anymore) but that the moon might have fared better in the Progen attack so there's still (some) stuff there.

Of course, far, far down the development and story line path - just spitballin', here. :D

Out of all planets I'm sure most time spent by players was in Arduinne. That is even if you take time spent waiting for the warder away.

Lot of gas ores and mobs in a relatively small area is prob why it was popular.

So more Arduinne style planets PLZ.

Just a little idea: [b]Jupiter Deep[/b]. Takes place very deep in Jupiter's atmosphere. Enviro shield is required otherwise you take damage from the crushing pressure. Some light is available through heated plasma particles but the sector is very dark nonetheless. Mobs are scary and black coloured with bright eyes (like deep sea fish). Ores are L6-9 gasses. Unlike other planets this sector is facing downwards so as you travel further from the gate you go deeper and it gets darker. The deeper you go the higher level the ores and mobs get, and the higher level enviro shield is required to not get crushed.

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1301562047' post='37921']
Just a little idea: [b]Jupiter Deep[/b]. Takes place very deep in Jupiter's atmosphere. Enviro shield is required otherwise you take damage from the crushing pressure. Some light is available through heated plasma particles but the sector is very dark nonetheless. Mobs are scary and black coloured with bright eyes (like deep sea fish). Ores are L6-9 gasses. Unlike other planets this sector is facing downwards so as you travel further from the gate you go deeper and it gets darker. The deeper you go the higher level the ores and mobs get, and the higher level enviro shield is required to not get crushed.
[/quote]
That sounds like it would be fun. I don't get the feeling we could make it darker as you progressed, at least not easily, and we can't add mobs quite yet, but the general idea sounds doable.

Jupiters Deep sounds very similar to an idea I had in 2008 for a trip inside the planet eater. Although here it would be gastric juices and chemical damage so requiring means of protection.

And have them suitable combat range CL 50 - 75 (drat all we can do is 66... ).

After all, there must be some reason why we didn't want to enter the planet before!

Hehe, Byakhee you are ebil. :lol:

We already have trouble killing 66's because of various technical problems, lag, ctd's, freezing, etc. Level 75? wow that would take a bunch of groups. :)

[quote name='Klyde' timestamp='1301585412' post='37948']
Hehe, Byakhee you are ebil. :lol:

We already have trouble killing 66's because of various technical problems, lag, ctd's, freezing, etc. Level 75? wow that would take a bunch of groups. :)
[/quote]

If we could even hit it, since it would be 25 CL over max CL.

CL 75 'It'd be a challenge'

I'd like to see someone boast they'd solo'd that mob.
Now only to figure a way to get mobs to follow people through gates.

<Joke?>

I just would hate to get to the situation where you are Alexander the Great with no more lands to conquer. Something of a challenge is needed, rather like me trying to fend off Napoleon and Julius Ceasar on Civ 5 on Deity mode.

Hey Kyp - I could do some interesting missions for your Terrans... :o
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1301851553' post='38139']
Haha, I might take you up on at least 1. We'll see. [s]Finish up Progen space[/s] Fix existing Progen missions first ;P
[/quote]

Fixt