keymap.ini

vasi

Our validation/check script is equal opportunity. At the same time, it's also conformist, if it doesn't match, it must be overwritten!

I know its a little of a hassle guys but the best bet is to just make copies of the ones you want to keep and replace them, otherwise we'd have to take extra time out to find a way to exclude those files and I'd rather be working on the game and its systems than the patcher at the moment. :P

There is also another way to do this so you don't need to manualy copy keymap.ini file on each update when you are using windows.

It's simply done with an bat file.

I'll show you how to do this.

First we need to find the keymap.ini file that we want to save and copy it over to a location where we want the backup.

Then open notepad since it's a text editor that comes with windows and it's windows default program to edit bat files.

Now past this code in it.

XCOPY keymap.ini d:\"Earth & Beyond"\Data\client\output\ /v /w /y

the only thing you will need to change in this is:

XCOPY keymap.ini d:\"Earth & Beyond"\Data\client\output\ /v /w /y

XCOPY keymap.ini and then the path to where your keymap.ini file is in your E&B gamedirectory.

Note that you will need to type in quotes before and after a folder or filename that have special character and spaces just like I did when i typed in the earth & beyond folder.

The /v, /w and /y you need to leave where they are since they removes some promts that normaly whould have been showen and would make the restoring slower.

Now save the file as a bat file (In my case I called it: Restorekeymap.bat) in the same folder where we made at copy of the keymap.ini file.

Now for easy access to this you could create a desktop shortcut but that is up to you.

Try starting the bat file by dubble clicking it and follow the screen that is showed. When you press a key then it should close but the keymap.ini should be copyed to the right location.

Hope this helps all of you who want it easy ;)

Kind regards

Satis

Ok, I know I might get flamed for this question; but what is it that people are doing to the INI file which is requiring people to keep there modified copies?

Also just for the batch file copy you created if you have something like this:

XCOPY C:\"Program Files"\"EA GAMES"\"Earth & Beyond"\Data\client\output\keymap.ini d:\"Earth & Beyond"\Data\client\output\ /v /w /y

then when you put the short cut on your desktop, you will be able to run the batch file from any place.

*kicks up the flamethrower*

When you change the control keys in game, it writes the config back to keymap.ini

When you patch the client, keymap.ini gets restored.

A batch file is a nice idea but not entirely necessary in this case. Another option is to >

CTRL+Lclick then drag to "Output"Untitled.jpg

See screenie.

post-219-12635912743615_thumb.jpg

Ok, I know I might get flamed for this question; but what is it that people are doing to the INI file which is requiring people to keep there modified copies?

Also just for the batch file copy you created if you have something like this:

XCOPY C:\"Program Files"\"EA GAMES"\"Earth & Beyond"\Data\client\output\keymap.ini d:\"Earth & Beyond"\Data\client\output\ /v /w /y

then when you put the short cut on your desktop, you will be able to run the batch file from any place.

well the keymap.ini is modifyed by the game if you change a key bindings setup, like going to FPS setup or change a single key or maby your own prefered setings with alot og key changes.

but when they make an update it will be overwriten by the original keymap.ini file that is in the patch and you will have to set all keys again. that's why we save them.

About the other sugestion to the batch file with xcopy I did it my whay to simplify it for none coders so it would be easy to understand it.

Kind regards

Satis

The average gamer will not understand batch files, but otherwise a helpful suggestion.

How long does it really take to change the patcher/update file list? Really? 30 seconds? less? It's time well spent, not wasted. Some dev just go find patch.net-7.org/Client/Files.txt , open in notepad , F3 (search) keymap.ini , delete, save, close. Problem solved for everyone.

• Upvote 1

How long does it really take to change the patcher/update file list? Really? 30 seconds? less? It's time well spent, not wasted. Some dev just go find patch.net-7.org/Client/Files.txt , open in notepad , F3 (search) keymap.ini , delete, save, close. Problem solved for everyone.

If this could be done it would be great :)

And just to add, before the crash, this file did not get updated.