Loot assignment

Tyran

Can loot be randomly assigned when grouped?

Full group -> kill mob -> open hulk -> only loot assigned to you is highlighted, thus lootable

* There may need to be maximum range for this.

* You may need a method to easily assign your own loot to a specific player in the group, or free it for anyone to take.

* Make it an option that loot can be randomly assigned

While this is a long shot suggestion, it does add a certain 'fairness'. Also, loot whoring and the bitching that ensues can be avoided.

When you loot something valuable while grouped it is yours because you got it, not because your team allowed you to have it. It also removes the need for a lotto within a group when they loot say a plague's bite.

Basically, this suggestion is to avoid the sh!tstorm called fastest finger first...

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1301064514' post='37164']
Can loot be randomly assigned when grouped?

Full group -> kill mob -> open hulk -> only loot assigned to you is highlighted, thus lootable

* There may need to be maximum range for this.

* You may need a method to easily assign your own loot to a specific player in the group, or free it for anyone to take.

* Make it an option that loot can be randomly assigned

While this is a long shot suggestion, it does add a certain 'fairness'. Also, loot whoring and the bitching that ensues can be avoided.

When you loot something valuable while grouped it is yours because you got it, not because your team allowed you to have it. It also removes the need for a lotto within a group when they loot say a plague's bite.

Basically, this suggestion is to avoid the sh!tstorm called fastest finger first...
[/quote]

If loot stealing is a problem in the group, doesn't sound like a very nice group to be with. Sounds like they all deserve each other.
  • Upvote 1

Remove the jackasses opportunity to be jackasses.

It's like the firearm debate. If nobody had them, people would not be getting shot.

Please don't say it is good to be able to spot the jackasses because given a little push here and there most people can be taken down to that level.
  • Downvote 2

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1301078429' post='37169']
Remove the jackasses opportunity to be jackasses.

It's like the firearm debate. If nobody had them, people would not be getting shot.

Please don't say it is good to be able to spot the jackasses because given a little push here and there most people can be taken down to that level.
[/quote]
I don't know - isn't it just like the debate about cherry-picking. Some people say they enjoy cherry-picking because they know it ticks other people off. Perhaps the same is true of loot stealers - they do it just to tick others off.

or, what i think is the most fair option, is don't turn off looting restrictions. That way you each take turns getting loot. If the corpse is credited to you, the item is yours. End of discussion. If you want to be slightly better than a jackass, you share stuff you don't need/want with the group.

I don't see a need to complicate it any more than this.

[quote name='Yuritau' timestamp='1301084073' post='37173']
or, what i think is the most fair option, is don't turn off looting restrictions. That way you each take turns getting loot. If the corpse is credited to you, the item is yours. End of discussion. If you want to be slightly better than a jackass, you share stuff you don't need/want with the group.

I don't see a need to complicate it any more than this.
[/quote]

There is one potential problem, no-trade equipment in a corpse you have looting rights to that you can't use, but as long as the /credit kill command works, it's not a problem. An option for open looting within the group, selectable by group leader, vs round-robin works, IMO.

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1301078747' post='37170']
I don't know - isn't it just like the debate about cherry-picking. Some people say they enjoy cherry-picking because they know it ticks other people off. Perhaps the same is true of loot stealers - they do it just to tick others off.
[/quote]
Indeed, which is why it needs to be avoided. It's not without a reason that almost all MMO's since have round robin looting.

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1301103998' post='37193']
Indeed, which is why it needs to be avoided. It's not without a reason that almost all MMO's since have round robin looting.
[/quote]

But then where would be the fun?

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1301103998' post='37193']
[/quote]

The loot system used here IS a round robin system. Everyone takes turn looting corpses.

IMO also should be a command to Lock the Loot for a Group, especially in a raid situation when you have to allow someone else in your group to loot a unique item that they need and you dont.
Prevents people from coming in and stealing the loot when you un-target the corpse.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1301262645' post='37402']
There's already a way to do that. (Not that I know the command off the top of my head, mind you.)
[/quote]

it's an option checkbox in the group find/leave window.

[quote name='Maniac' timestamp='1301269210' post='37435']
IMO also should be a command to Lock the Loot for a Group, especially in a raid situation when you have to allow someone else in your group to loot a unique item that they need and you dont.
Prevents people from coming in and stealing the loot when you un-target the corpse.
[/quote]

A command to turn on/off a group loot delay of say 60 seconds would be nice. That way you could have the regular loot scheme going, and when you untarget the corpse, looting opens up ONLY for group members for the following 60 seconds. After those 60 seconds, loot opens up to anyone.

if you cant hunt with people you trust,say hunting for a bite then you shouldnt hunt with them.every time i hunted a bite or something uber,we all in the group understood before hand that this or that person was gona get that loot this way it isnt an issue. personily i think its a good system so why try to reinvent the wheel at this point. :huh: Edited by Foxninja
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='Foxninja' timestamp='1301293925' post='37496']
if you cant hunt with people you trust,say hunting for a bite then you shouldnt hunt with them.every time i hunted a bite or something uber,we all in the group understood before hand that this or that person was gona get that loot this way it isnt an issue. personily i think its a good system so why try to reinvent the wheel at this point. :)
[/quote]
That is not a system, that is more of a gentleman's agreement. I don't like that though, there's too much room for argument.

The current round robin, if I'm not mistaken, gives you the entire corpse. Again not favourable because some corpses can be too good while others are too bad. This is because the corpses can drop a lot of items at once, or only one. While in the long run (weeks?) this may be fair, in a short time (playing with random group) this can be rather imbalanced.

If every single item of a corpse was assigned randomly both normal mobs and bosses would be a lot fairer.

Ofcourse there would not be true random - I doubt other mmo's have that. Instead it would be random that is affected by counters like:

Mob drops an item

Player 1 : 50% assign chance
Player 2 : 50% assign chance

Player 1 gets item

Then another mob drops an item, because player 1 is a drop ahead his assign chance is lowered...

Player 1 : 33%
Player 2 : 67%

Etc etc etc..

[quote name='Yuritau' timestamp='1301202235' post='37292']
The loot system used here IS a round robin system. Everyone takes turn looting corpses.
[/quote]My bad you are right with the round robin being turn based.

What I'm suggesting is very different to turn based looting of entire corpses.

[quote name='Tyran' timestamp='1301335207' post='37530']
The current round robin, if I'm not mistaken, gives you the entire corpse. Again not favourable because some corpses can be too good while others are too bad. This is because the corpses can drop a lot of items at once, or only one. While in the long run (weeks?) this may be fair, in a short time (playing with random group) this can be rather imbalanced.

If every single item of a corpse was assigned randomly both normal mobs and bosses would be a lot fairer.

[/quote]
It is already possible for multiple people to loot the same corpse at the same time, although it is through a bug, why not implement it to be normal, with the individual loot in a mob divided by round-robin, starting with a random group member on every coprse. You couldnt control which order drops show up on a mob, or which group member it starts assigning loot to, so no way to exploit it. Corpses would still need a group-ownership timer that doesnt expire when the corpse is opened so only group members could loot the corpse and not just anyone nearby.

• 12 years later...

This is a dated topic but has been an issue in the MMRPGs I have played for some time.  I see the first post was by a Progen Trader and though I don't know that profession, I'm guessing it's not much different than a Terran Trader.  A Trader's job in combat is support, meaning they have their eyes and hands full nursing the team, watching everyone's condition even when the fight is over.  Warriors can basically fire and forget and look after themselves.  If they are doing their job well, Trader's are at a distinct disadvantage looting.  While a warrior may want a rare item to equip, a Trader usually wants it to analyze.  Letting a Trader have a rare item that will be destroyed and the analysis may fail is not appealing.

The only answer I ever found, no matter the game, was not to party with loot hogs.  Then again, rare drops have a transforming affect.