New Advocate Election

Lannister's first term will be up at the end of the month, So it is with that I'm going to post and see if there is interest in stepping up and replacing him or if everyone wants to leave him where he is. The rules for the player advocate position are as follows for the current time (as always subject to change at our discretion):

[list][*]You are ineligible if you have a past record with discipline in game or in forum.[*]Must have good writing and communication skills.[*]No current or past staff is eligible, must be a player.[*]Must be able to use teamspeak.[*]Must have an operational microphone, you may not stay in silent mode.[*]To become a nominee, you must post your desire here and have at least 3 other players back you.[/list]

Let me know your opinions, guys.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1300546118' post='36856']
Lannister's first term will be up at the end of the month, So it is with that I'm going to post and see if there is interest in stepping up and replacing him or if everyone wants to leave him where he is. The rules for the player advocate position are as follows for the current time (as always subject to change at our discretion):

[list][*]You are ineligible if you have a past record with discipline in game or in forum.[*]Must have good writing and communication skills.[*]No current or past staff is eligible, must be a player.[*]Must be able to use teamspeak.[*]Must have an operational microphone, you may not stay in silent mode.[*]To become a nominee, you must post your desire here and have at least 3 other players back you.[/list]

Let me know your opinions, guys.
[/quote]

[font="Arial"][size="2"][quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1300546118' post='36856'][/size][/font]
You are ineligible if you have a past record with discipline in game or in forum.[font="Arial"][size="2"][/quote][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Umm what exactly qualifies as discipline? [/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]In Game;
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]A GM asking for chat to be taken private?
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]A stray cuss word slipped into open chat channels?
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]Negative comments about a particular Dev and getting mysterious CTDs?[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]In Forum;
[/size][/font][font="Calibri"][size="3"]Do differing opinions qualify as a disciplinary action?[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"] [/font][size="3"][font="Calibri"]Not that I was trying to get the position, but just checking. [/font]:P[/size]

no temps or permabans can be traced to you, for starters.

People have different opinions, that's just that, as long as you comply with the GM they probably aren't compelled to note your account's file too strongly. :P :blush:

Hello,

First I want to say that I am happy to continue in the Advocate role for a second term if my fellow players see value in it.

With that being said I do want to be clear and up front in that my work activity comes in waves. I have weeks of free time followed by unexpected, frantic, and near panicked activity. This week, for example I am in Ipswich UK after a call early Saturday and so will not be in game until Friday. This also caused me to miss the last Dev meeting on Saturday. In short I give the role what I can but there have been some gaps lately and for that I apologize.

I have spent a good bit of time and energy focus on what I think our the two priorities of the job, and I hope you have seen some progress in these areas:

1. Distilling Player concerns/requests/desires into clear and consolidated feedback to the development community. Most of this comes from in-game contact, polls on the forums, and distilling common threads from forum conversations. This has had direct impact on development decisions and remains my number one priority.

2. Formalizing and normalizing updates from the development teams to the players. This mostly consists of taken output from the devs and posting it hear in the forums. This includes not only formal content update but some of the back end work around balance and bug fixes. This need ally more focus.

So please let the devs know if you are happy with the work I have done or if a change is needed. There is no pride of position or ownership on my part, if the community feels a change is needed then a change there shall be.

Lannister

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Personally I think the 3 month term is way too short. It took a few weeks to get acclimated to dealing with the staff. And I bet it took another few weeks to feel comfortable in the “New Hat”. And there was the time away, all contributing to just now getting the feel for what is expected. I say keep Lannister on for at least another term, and consider the next term for a minimum of 6 months if not a year. Just my two credits worth.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Mimir' timestamp='1300718494' post='36961']
[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Personally I think the 3 month term is way too short. It took a few weeks to get acclimated to dealing with the staff. And I bet it took another few weeks to feel comfortable in the “New Hat”. And there was the time away, all contributing to just now getting the feel for what is expected. I say keep Lannister on for at least another term, and consider the next term for a minimum of 6 months if not a year. Just my two credits worth.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
I was thinking the same thing. It sure does seem like three months went by quick, although I guess it ultimately hinges on how long the advocate wants to stay. 6-12 months seems a bit long though. Maybe we could have a 4-month term, and extend the term limit to 3 terms? That way you'd have slightly less frequent elections and an advocate could server for up to a year. That's assuming everyone wants the term limits.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1300719196' post='36963']
I was thinking the same thing. It sure does seem like three months went by quick, although I guess it ultimately hinges on how long the advocate wants to stay. 6-12 months seems a bit long though. Maybe we could have a 4-month term, and extend the term limit to 3 terms? That way you'd have slightly less frequent elections and an advocate could server for up to a year. That's assuming everyone wants the term limits.
[/quote]

/agree

[size="1"](and not just because you didn't ctd me this am.)[/size]

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1300719196' post='36963']
[/quote]

I agree.

I think Lan has done a good job so far.

I also think Mimir would do a good job.

[quote name='Klyde 2' timestamp='1300744746' post='36987']
I agree.

I think Lan has done a good job so far.

I also think Mimir would do a good job.
[/quote]

WAIT!!! I was just saying that Lan was the choice of champions. [size="5"]Not me![/size]

The first post was posted in my usual "stir the pot" style. Besides the Devs would tolerate me for all of about 20 seconds and we would have to have yet another election.

Don’t get me wrong I am flattered but not Player advocate material I think. And Lan get's my vote.

perhaps 1 of the devs can post ingame (in the teal server shutdown letters) that the pa position is comeing up and come to the forums and make their voices heard.
maybe do this for 3-5 days, at different times to cover the time zone/player schedules.
either by backing someone or post their own intrest in the position.
i feel lann has done good work and may not be ready to step down,but he may also be ready for a break and to just enjoy the game.
i dont really know mimir other than ive seen alot of stuff here on the forums, but hes certianlly knowledgeable enough for the PA.

just my 2 creds 8)

How about a primary and secondary advocate, as I'm sure real life can get ahold of us at times and that would prevent a possible single point failure? Not saying Lann fails, but perhaps he gets called away the 2nd could provide that buffer and step in. Of course they would work in close coordination.

Just a though, I know I try to reach out with Lann and help flow information as best we can together as sometimes we are both occupied else where sometimes.

I give my support for Lannister.

He did a really good job and has written good articles, in which he explained the things to come from the DEV team on the one hand and vice versa distilled the wishes of the playerbase into manageable portions.

He tried to keep a balance between the players view of things and the view of the DEV team of what is wanted and doable.

I think 3 months are too short and we should look for a timeframe which is more suited to the overall pace of the development of our game.

Greggary

[quote name='RojoMuerte' timestamp='1300755207' post='36995']
How about a primary and secondary advocate, as I'm sure real life can get ahold of us at times and that would prevent a possible single point failure? Not saying Lann fails, but perhaps he gets called away the 2nd could provide that buffer and step in. Of course they would work in close coordination.

Just a though, I know I try to reach out with Lann and help flow information as best we can together as sometimes we are both occupied else where sometimes.
[/quote]

sounds good.
well organized teams work better than just 1 person, which is also a single point of failure.