SWTOR - EA Involved?

Eh, TOR to me is a disgusting adulteration of a once-proud series anyhow. I love storyline, and no matter what you do, an MMO will never, ever, ever have the capability to tell a story and immerse the player that a single-player RPG does. I was heartbroken when I heard this thing was being developed instead of a KotOR 3, which I bet would've been incredible on a current-generation console.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1300284938' post='36664']
Eh, TOR to me is a disgusting adulteration of a once-proud series anyhow. I love storyline, and no matter what you do, an MMO will never, ever, ever have the capability to tell a story and immerse the player that a single-player RPG does. I was heartbroken when I heard this thing was being developed instead of a KotOR 3, which I bet would've been incredible on a current-generation console.
[/quote]
I was hoping for a 3rd installment as well... The first 2 were 2 of my favorite games to play on the xbox. A next generation installment would have been nice, but they decided to turn it into a MMO. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think it will be the same. Oh and I think EA has its hands in BioWare who produces MassEffect as well. Which to be honest I like the Mass Effect series so far. Edited by HellHas

[quote name='HellHas' timestamp='1300311445' post='36684']
I was hoping for a 3rd installment as well... The first 2 were 2 of my favorite games to play on the xbox. A next generation installment would have been nice, but they decided to turn it into a MMO. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't think it will be the same. Oh and I think EA has its hands in BioWare who produces MassEffect as well. Which to be honest I like the Mass Effect series so far.
[/quote]
I suppose it isn't necessarily bad that they're making an MMO, but I was let down when they didn't make a 3rd single-player game. I dislike their move to make an MMO because, while it may be in the style of KotOR, it really isn't the same game at all - it's like making Halo an RTS (lols) or turning Mass Effect into a non-RPG FPS. *shrug*

[quote name='Eviticus' timestamp='1300318294' post='36703']
I am fairly certain Bioware is able to safeguard their products from EA enough. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are two franchises I like quite a bit and they were done by Bioware while under EA.
[/quote]
Was Bioware under EA when they made the first Mass Effect? I love the Mass Effect series, but I feel like they cheapened the second game with the introduction of ammo and the crappy upgrade system where you can't buy anything and credits mean absolutely nothing, but you have to sit and mine all day long to get upgrades. They did make major improvements in the second ME, but they also lost some of the core character of the original. I already have ME3 on pre-order, and I'll stay with ME without a doubt for its great storyline and RPG gameplay, but I hope they find a better balance of the complexity of the first game and simplicity of the second in the upcoming game.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1300345444' post='36730']
Was Bioware under EA when they made the first Mass Effect? I love the Mass Effect series, but I feel like they cheapened the second game with the introduction of ammo and the crappy upgrade system where you can't buy anything and credits mean absolutely nothing, but you have to sit and mine all day long to get upgrades. They did make major improvements in the second ME, but they also lost some of the core character of the original. I already have ME3 on pre-order, and I'll stay with ME without a doubt for its great storyline and RPG gameplay, but I hope they find a better balance of the complexity of the first game and simplicity of the second in the upcoming game.
[/quote]
Yeah I hope they can as well and improve further... Mining was a bit tedious.

[quote name='Amythiel' timestamp='1300359714' post='36737']
Bioware doesn't make bad games, doesn't matter if EA publishes it or not.
[/quote]

Westwood Studios didnt make bad games either... Till EA sunk their claws into them! If EA's running the MMO expect it to be abruptly shut down/staff re-focused on other projects lessening the content and attention the game should get in turn forcing it to lose player interest and thus... Get shut down... EA's motto... you give us a MMO we'll run it into the ground!

That could well happen but the star wars fanbase is massive and if there's one thing ea Loves it's making money. I'd like to see what ea's cash flow backing a solid development squad would be like. Of course I may be too optimistic but I can hope...

There's a wild difference here that none of you account for in that situation, but mostly I suspect its because many aren't aware of how the games industry works on the inside. Lucasarts has a publisher-producer on every game product that isn't directly made by Lucasarts. Generally it's Haden Blackman (Dev Shug Ninx during dev on SWG for example). That producer can pull the carpet out from under any company at any time to protect the franchise. LA writes it into every contract as part of the IP licensing. I doubt they'll make an exception in EAs case (or BioWare for that matter). This is mainly so they can pull the plug if someone tries to re-write Canon storyline without first clearing it through LA.

[quote name='Kyp' timestamp='1300392130' post='36762']
There's a wild difference here that none of you account for in that situation, but mostly I suspect its because many aren't aware of how the games industry works on the inside. Lucasarts has a publisher-producer on every game product that isn't directly made by Lucasarts. Generally it's Haden Blackman (Dev Shug Ninx during dev on SWG for example). That producer can pull the carpet out from under any company at any time to protect the franchise. LA writes it into every contract as part of the IP licensing. I doubt they'll make an exception in EAs case (or BioWare for that matter). This is mainly so they can pull the plug if someone tries to re-write Canon storyline without first clearing it through LA.
[/quote]

And we should expect no less. If I was George and company I'd flip a s**t if someone ran the name of my franchise into the ground over some game. I think the collective concern is ea stripping bioware like what happened to wws. Let us ay. Ayyyyyy.

[quote name='C Del' timestamp='1300345444' post='36730']
I suppose it isn't necessarily bad that they're making an MMO, but I was let down when they didn't make a 3rd single-player game. I dislike their move to make an MMO because, while it may be in the style of KotOR, it really isn't the same game at all - it's like making Halo an RTS (lols) or turning Mass Effect into a non-RPG FPS. *shrug*

[/quote]

I thought ME1 was ok but not great - CBS and the inability to really change outcomes with the dialogues kind of showed the rails too much for me. However, they did some friggin' cool stuff and all in all, it was enjoyable to play once.

I was considering ME2, but I've taken to finding Let's Plays on games first so I can get a preview. After seeing this - http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=9721 - in its entirety, I have to wonder if EA did get their hooks (and hacks) into Bioware's production process. There is a LOT of writing that's just not up to par, plot rails are just right in the open, etc.

So, I dunno if Bioware is still free to do as they wish. The official word from EA is "they're an independent studio" but ME2 just seemed like a lackluster sequel with some real hackage embedded in it, and that wasn't happening with Bioware games before.

However, DA2 seems to have some major changes too, so something's definitely changing in Bioware. I'm not a DA player so I've no opinion on whether 2 is better or worse tho.

Well I am a fan of ME2, more so than ME. I also like DA (Just recently finished Origins, going to go through Awakenings then the Witch Hunt DLC, then start on DA2. :) ) But I think that is just because it is my type of game. Not to say that the changes that EA wrought upon the sequal (not sure what they are, if they even are there) are the parts I liked or didn't like, I don't know. But I did enjoy it alot. I would play through it again but I wouldn't feel right without doing it via an imported save from ME1 on a new character, and playing ME1 after ME2 feels almost like trying to do math with an abacus after setting aside my calculator. =/

Granted we, and by we I mean most if not all of those who were in EnB during Live, have a deep seated unease(if not outright loathing) of EA. But companies like that are fairly vast. The left hand is not always working with the right hand. This is the company that in one way or another had their claws in and yet managed to be involved with good games(in my opinion) such as the SimCity series, Battlefield series, Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, System Shock 2, Command and Conquer series, and the Dungeon Keeper series. They have been accidentally involved in one way or another with good stuff for over a decade.