EnB Sanbox

EnB Sandbox  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Well do you agree that EnB is a Sandbox?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Now really misses Kindergarden and Sandbox!
    • Searing is a couple of slices short of a loaf!

In my humble opinion this is exactly how the project works from a Kindergarden perspective (I know kinda a push to get to that level but we can do it)

Enb Sandbox

First ..... Davidr99 and Tienbau ...its their Sandbox .....Teinbau likes to break the sandbox occasionally and toss the sand around...saying it is not structurally sound or the sandbox

he wants and then Davidr99 has to get all the Devs together in some manner and put the Sandbox back together...they usually do this on regular basis...4 or 5 times for fun.

Second..... The various Devs are in charge of figuring out where the Dump Trucks go.....who gets the Shovels...and placement of Sand Pails....there never seems to be enough of these

for everyone so they make do with coffee cans or pop cans or whatever else they can come with ...but they seem kinda rushed all the time...never enough toys everyone.

Third...... The GM's are in charge of picking up Cat Poop..the sandbox is often overrun by neighborhood cats using the sandbox for a litter box....so we run around picking up the cat poop

and dead birds or other stuff before the users either eat the cat poop or throw the cat poop at each other....generally this then digresses into the EnB version of kindergarden

Fight club....never enough Gm's in the sandbox.

Fourth..... The Users are the ones who play in the Sandbox and attempt with much enthusiasm to eat the cat poop or throw at it each other or fight over the dump trucks and sand pails....

they generally say it is a wonderful sandbox and really don't mind the occaisonal cat poop or pail disappearing....but...keep talking excitedly about the bigger better sandbox

that tienbau/davidr99 and the devs and other staff have planned...they also get more then excited when Santa comes to the EnB Sandbox...but thats another story

Fifth.... Donors pay for the sandbox they can be anyone from users to devs to old westwood adults who like and miss the sandbox and so support this ....like most kids that use

the sandbox such issues rarely cross their minds till they run out of buckets or shovels or the cat poop gets too thick....

Anyway all is as it should be in the project IMHO if we just keep the above in mind.....thru all the wrangling and cat poop etc ..the important thing is the EnB Sandbox continues.

my 2c worth

Searing

• Upvote 1

In my humble opinion this is exactly how the project works from a Kindergarden perspective (I know kinda a push to get to that level but we can do it)

Enb Sandbox

First ..... Davidr99 and Tienbau ...its their Sandbox .....Tienbau likes to break the sandbox occasionally and toss the sand around...saying it is not structurally sound or the sandbox

he wants and then Davidr99 has to get all the Devs together in some manner and put the Sandbox back together...they usually do this on regular basis...4 or 5 times for fun.

Second..... The various Devs are in charge of figuring out where the Dump Trucks go.....who gets the Shovels...and placement of Sand Pails....there never seems to be enough of these

for everyone so they make do with coffee cans or pop cans or whatever else they can come with ...but they seem kinda rushed all the time...never enough toys everyone.

Third...... The GM's are in charge of picking up Cat Poop..the sandbox is often overrun by neighborhood cats using the sandbox for a litter box....so we run around picking up the cat poop

and dead birds or other stuff before the users either eat the cat poop or throw the cat poop at each other....generally this then digresses into the EnB version of kindergarden

Fight club....never enough Gm's in the sandbox.

Fourth..... The Users are the ones who play in the Sandbox and attempt with much enthusiasm to eat the cat poop or throw at it each other or fight over the dump trucks and sand pails....

they generally say it is a wonderful sandbox and really don't mind the occaisonal cat poop or pail disappearing....but...keep talking excitedly about the bigger better sandbox

that tienbau/davidr99 and the devs and other staff have planned...they also get more then excited when Santa comes to the EnB Sandbox...but thats another story

Fifth.... Donors pay for the sandbox they can be anyone from users to devs to old westwood adults who like and miss the sandbox and so support this ....like most kids that use

the sandbox such issues rarely cross their minds till they run out of buckets or shovels or the cat poop gets too thick....

Anyway all is as it should be in the project IMHO if we just keep the above in mind.....thru all the wrangling and cat poop etc ..the important thing is the EnB Sandbox continues.

my 2c worth

Searing

nice post but your poll options does not work

comes up with don't have perm error

gonzo

I guess that makes BETA's the little bratty kid who comes along and kicks over your sand castle?

Only when his private poop-less sandbox is broken. ;)

Spot on Searing!

The only addition I would make would be under #1....

After TB finishes throwing the sand around, all the other Devs rush in to attempt to rebalance the sand so the sandbox is perfectly level, which results in all the sand on one side and all the poop on the other. :P

J/K guys, all in jest yaknow. ;)

Spot on Searing!

The only addition I would make would be under #1....

After TB finishes throwing the sand around, all the other Devs rush in to attempt to rebalance the sand so the sandbox is perfectly level, which results in all the sand on one side and all the poop on the other. :P

J/K guys, all in jest yaknow. ;)

meh, usually after I've thrown the sand around I have to clear it all up and make sure it's a better shape than before. Then all the players come along and manage to throw the optimised sand around in ways I hadn't thought of, so the whole process starts again.

In between we manage to put extra things in. It's still a bit of a bonkers concept though ...

Haven't you people ever heard of concrete ? Much better than sand imho

:P

yep ... but making changes to sand structures is easier :)

Also we don't need to wake up the neighbors at 6am on a sunday morning with a pneumatic drill when we want to make changes, do we <insert name of guy-next-door where I live>? ;) .

Oh god this is all being taken too literally !!

What would your notoriously dodgy connection and setup be represented as in your scenario eh Searing??

yep ... but making changes to sand structures is easier :P

Also we don't need to wake up the neighbors at 6am on a sunday morning with a pneumatic drill when we want to make changes, do we <insert name of guy-next-door where I live>? ;) .

Oh god this is all being taken too literally !!

What would your notoriously dodgy connection and setup be represented as in your scenario eh Searing??

hmmm..... my evil compaq n800v (a laptop to be avoided at all costs ...was hard for me to do in that someone gave it too me for free....yikes...it was a cursed object thats why it was free (duh!)

well....i'm not sure either my evil laptop would represent evil older brother who just pi**es in the sandbox to activate the ammonia of the cat poop occasionally (and of course with all the cat poop teinbau has no idea where in the sand box it is at nor how pi**ing in that particular place would make him clean the whole sandbox ..wasting time on searing fix'es)

or hmmmm maybe the pis**ng in the sandbox could represent those who sought control of the project and then went and made their own classic sandbox but alas....when in kindergarden people in sandboxes tend to "have time outs" on anything representing control and the word "classic" (ie established, conventional, and static) .....

if you want the true "utopia" of a sandbox you need a little bit of ...whimsy, irrelevance, dorkyness and all around just a bit of unreality (to basically rebuild a mmorpg that the major game corp in the world walked away from as "too irrelevant" at least to them....sensible people will play the "Simm's online" and re-live in virtual reality their suburban existance when not in their suburban existance...and pay 19.95/m to do so.....

so being too dumb ...and unpaid....and too distracted to see it was impossible ...we now have the utopia of the EnB Sandbox ...(dang riddick spit out the cat poop) er ...or our somewhat "flawed" version of such (best not to look too close.....i'd say the best way to look at our EnB Utopia sandbox is 4 blocks away from a high tree (kills smell of cat poop) with one eye closed and squinting (too obscure the kindergarden fight club brawling ...and plug'ing your ears to all the unending chants' of we want the sandbox done NOW and holding of breath till they topple over)

ah crap someone let the beta's in to the sandbox (prissy little girls) always whining about what is broken....we never did figure out what Cdel does for the project he just sits on the lp gas tank near the sandbox mumbling to himself making a picture frame with his fingers and waving his arms around)...come to think of it prob better to be on the lp gas tank away from the smell of cat pi**) and look at it from a distance he might be on to something ....and what he is collecting pennies from people to 'view' the sandbox and showing them a secret handshake to get in ...crap he is even letting "girls" in grrrrr

anyway ....for a project that that was out in 2002 ...killed in 2004...source code either burned or buried under 10000 tons of EA headquarters.......and spirited back to life by some kinda coding voodoo by davidr99 and tienbau on a whim (had to be a whim i mean how old where you davidr99 when you decided to take this task on ...15yrs (and no that is not a joke)....

hey.....what do i know ..i only get $$ 0 $$ you'll have to ask the others that make $$$$$ 0 $$$$$$ on this kinda thing ..to me it works as an "EnB Sandbox" but then again what do i know i went from Dev to GM (hits head with palm duh!)

don't let the sand get in your shorts (wanders over grabs riddick sticks garden hose in mouth to wash out cat poop)

my 2c worth

Searing