add path warping / traveling

New Edinburgh is another system with a wonky nav path layout.

Jump in from Carp and set course to station it lays out one path. (I forget the names)

Undock and set course to Carp gate, it sets a different path.

Go to High Earth gate and select Inverness or Carp gate and get yet another path.

This isn't anything new though, the live game was nearly identical.

Folks not needing to go afk have always found alternate ways around the issue. ;)

Edit, cause I can't spell

at the risk of contradicting CDel ;), there are small changes we can make to the warp path the client picks. I think the client calculates paths based on two factors, the signature of the nav and it's navigation type. There are 2 navigation types as far as warp paths are concerned:

Warp path nav [1]: This type is to be considered as a waypoint for warp paths.

Destination nav [2]: This tells the client to ignore the nav when calculating a warp path, unless the player is warping to that actual nav. Most stations and gates will be type 2 for example.

The signature of the nav is also used to determine the path, the greater the sig, the more likely it is to be used on a path.

It is possible to have a type 1 nav that doesn't appear on the radar map, but I don't think it would influence the path chosen.

Now for the clever bit - with a high navigation skill, we could allow intermediate navs to be visible, or existing navs could have their signature increased, to cause different paths to be formed.

I will add some in-game tools for devs to have a play around with placing beacons and the like to create different paths - there are existing commands for changing certain aspects of the navs, but I'll have a go at tweaking the nav's stats on the routes you describe to see if we can get better results.

Maybe a new device, like a navigation computer could have a similar effect to the 'Navigate' skill but without the improvements to warp powerup?

I feel contradicted. :P (:P)

I was talking more about manually setting the warp path and/or dictating it from the server side. I like your ideas, though. Sounds like a decent workaround.

I've just finished playing around a bit and yes it is quite easy to coax the client into choosing an easier path by tweaking settings.

I can have the 'navigate' skill do this automatically, and maybe have it in a device later.

It does seem logical that 'navigate' would let you use more optimal navigation paths.

• Upvote 2

all done now, if you have the navigate skill you'll notice big improvements especially after you get level 4 (which seems to be the 'gateway' level for most skills), with pretty much fully optimal paths at level 7.

This is all after the next restart of course.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1299376680' post='35797']
all done now, if you have the navigate skill you'll notice big improvements especially after you get level 4 (which seems to be the 'gateway' level for most skills), with pretty much fully optimal paths at level 7.

This is all after the next restart of course.
[/quote]

My navigate having toons thank you.

Loving the change so far, only one problem I noticed. When warping in ABG from the saturn gate to the mars gate it tries to take you straight through the gravity well between the detention center and the nav path.

[quote name='Talydia' timestamp='1299533673' post='35922']
Loving the change so far, only one problem I noticed. When warping in ABG from the saturn gate to the mars gate it tries to take you straight through the gravity well between the detention center and the nav path.
[/quote]

hah! yes of course it would. I'll see what I can do.

I've noticed the same thing in Earth Sector, where you warp trough the station, while originally you had to take the nav points around it to make it look nice :)

Edit: Nvm, seems i was imagining things. It's working fine. Edited by Amythiel

[quote name='Amythiel' timestamp='1299584161' post='35989']
I've noticed the same thing in Earth Sector, where you warp trough the station, while originally you had to take the nav points around it to make it look nice :D

Edit: Nvm, seems i was imagining things. It's working fine.
[/quote]

no you did indeed see that problem, I wasn't updating the stats correctly for each player - if someone with the nav skill had passed through, they 'infected' the nav with the enhanced pathing info, so everyone else would get that.

This bug has been fixed now, which is why it appears back to normal. It's actually not beneficial to some pilots, especially those leading tours.

Seeing a similar problem in Io/Sol.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v462/Amythiel/?action=view&current=io_sol.jpg][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/Amythiel/th_io_sol.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This applies to both gates. Nav Gateways seems to be completely ignored.

When traveling from Tempest Fringe to Station the client will also make us go trough Pylon Alpha, but Station -> Tempest Fringe is direct travel.

I've noticed an issue in Uranus I have maxed Nav but if I try to warp from Neptune Way 2 to Neptune way 1 it goes via the Saturn gate so instead of one hop warp its a NINE hop warp :D lol

Seems to work from anything coming from the left side of uranus towards neptune gate