Psi Shield

tszydd

If Psi Shield had a visual bar like shield and Hull it would be super. Its hard (for me anyway) to gauge how much damage I'm taking and when I should start a refresh on Psi. After fighting the same mob a few times you get a feel for it tho. A graphical representation of the status of Psi Shield would really be helpful for JD's and JS.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

If Psi Shield had a visual bar like shield and Hull it would be super. Its hard (for me anyway) to gauge how much damage I'm taking and when I should start a refresh on Psi. After fighting the same mob a few times you get a feel for it tho. A graphical representation of the status of Psi Shield would really be helpful for JD's and JS.

Thanks

As you said, you get a feel for it when fighting duplicate mobs. You can count how many hits you've taken or just watch the buff icon. It will start flashing when it's about to wear off. I don't think countdown timers are really needed. While very handy they're prolly not worth the effort needed to code IMO.

Thanks

Hello Szydd,

Welcome to Jenquarum.

I but together a Build and tactic build for the Defender.

You'll find it here -----> Defender Combat Tactics

To add to your original post.

On your graphics tab you can change the way you Psionic Shield graphics look in Detail

but not the Graphic itself, doing this will increase or decrease some lag you may have

coming mainly from your graphics card in general. Find your balance.

The Tactics should help some.

Phorlaug...

Hello Szydd,

Welcome to Jenquarum.

I but together a Build and tactic build for the Defender.

You'll find it here -----> Defender Combat Tactics

To add to your original post.

On your graphics tab you can change the way you Psionic Shield graphics look in Detail

but not the Graphic itself, doing this will increase or decrease some lag you may have

coming mainly from your graphics card in general. Find your balance.

The Tactics should help some.

Phorlaug...

You help my case here from your guide, I play the Psi shield tactic.

"You will need to Max out this skill and Use any Item that will increase its damage absorbtion. You will basically be Spamming this skill but time it right so that you can get another Shield up just before the one fails."

If you gain an add, or two.. you really have no idea how your Psi shield is holding up because you have no representation of how many HP it has or how much HP it has left. While everyone else can just look at thier shield bar. "oh.. its half full, i have 50% left." Whereas I'm tanking almost blind, or need to practice on new battles to get a "feel" for them.

Edited by szydd

you know how we could do this?

When you have a Psi Shield active, your shield bar could become the 'psi shield' bar, so you'd be able to see exactly how much is left, then, once it expires or exceeds its damage cap, the shield bar would flick back to the normal shield.

This would be pretty easy to code, but I'm not sure how people would like it ...

Unfortunately we can't control the flash rate of the buff icon. Wish we could!

• Upvote 2

But then the old code words in non-fb group chat wouldn't mean the same

p

p

pppppp

someone wake up that JD

It was always part of the fun playing a JD, trying to guess at what point you need to start tossing out PSI Shields again.

Where as in fb the above chat meant Pull...Pull

What Tienbau suggests looks great.

Only issue I could think of is if you have low shields and it gets cast on you, you won't know how much shieldpoints you have remaining as it is hidden.

Perhaps psi shield could increase your shieldcap so when it runs out - your shieldcap automatically drops..?

What Tienbau suggests looks great.

Only issue I could think of is if you have low shields and it gets cast on you, you won't know how much shieldpoints you have remaining as it is hidden.

swings and roundabouts ... I did think of that, but hey that's part of fun eh? Hopefully your shield will have recharged by the time the Psi shield runs out, but you don't know until it's gone ...

The other thing we could do is to turn the shield a dark grey or something like that when it's on its last legs. Or have it flash brightly for a couple of secs just before it conks out.

you know how we could do this?

When you have a Psi Shield active, your shield bar could become the 'psi shield' bar, so you'd be able to see exactly how much is left, then, once it expires or exceeds its damage cap, the shield bar would flick back to the normal shield.

This would be pretty easy to code, but I'm not sure how people would like it ...

This would be WIN imho, and perfect too. Would like to see what other JD mains think.

This would be WIN imho, and perfect too. Would like to see what other JD mains think.

My only concern would be the group panel, would it be displayed there as well, or would group members see your real shields? Not just JD's, but how would other classes feel about their shields being replaced with the Psi-Shield values whenever its cast on them? Cloak already screws up the shield display on the group panel, usually causing it to show it always full or always empty, this may make it even worse.

IMO, adding a new shield bar for psi shield (and for the same matter, impervious haven), in different color, like purple, that was activated only when it's enabled, and visible to player and other players, would be the optimal method.

problem is, it might be impossible.

swings and roundabouts ... I did think of that, but hey that's part of fun eh? Hopefully your shield will have recharged by the time the Psi shield runs out, but you don't know until it's gone ...

The other thing we could do is to turn the shield a dark grey or something like that when it's on its last legs. Or have it flash brightly for a couple of secs just before it conks out.

Once Psi-Shield takes over the graphical bar display, have the tooltip you get on mouseover display the numerical values for BOTH equipment shield (blue) and psi-shield (purple?). That way your current protection level is the one being displayed so you can keep an eye on it, but you can also see your regular shields if you need to.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1298957573' post='35448']

[/quote]
I'm curious if this is the best (least complicated) way for psi shield to work based on this example:

Say a JD/JS has 1000 shieldpoints and 300 shieldpoints psi shield...

You cast psi shield on self --> shield cap increases from 1000 to 1300. The next 300 damage you take lowers your shield cap and current shieldpoints as the psi shield is going down. You are left with 1000 points when it expires and after that your shield takes normal damage.

Let's say you already took damage and are left with 400/1000 shieldpoints during combat. You then cast psi shield, increasing your current shieldpoints to 700 and capacity to 1300.

Basically psi shield would increase your shield cap and reduce it each time you take damage.

Doesn't a Psi Shield run out over time even if it doesn't take damage? If so, does it slowly loose damage resistance or just shut off (while at full power) after a certain amount of time?

How would this show on the above mentioned Psi displays?