Custom decals

I was just wondering if anyone happens to know what files I need to edit/replace to change the image used for a decal (the star one, to be specific). I know this would be a client-side change, and only I would see it, but I'd still like to do it.

Alternately, if I knew what tools to use to look through the .mix files, then I could dig around for it myself.

Thanks!

-JoeTD

Totally aside, and this should be rather low on the priority list, but I think it would be cool for the Devs to add a few new decals to the game if its at all possible. Perhaps a sunrise decal, a Net7 logo decal (for veteran stress testers, donators or maybe just for those who want to RP a rogue journalist :() and maybe a few others for those wanting to display their faction loyalty on their ship (RD logo, class logos, you know the works)

Just an idea.

JoeTD,

The closest tool you're going to find are the Renegade/RenX tools used for Command & Conquer, it was also built off of the .w3d (Westwood 3d) file format and shares a lot of similarities to E&B.

As for the name of the file, I don't remember right off I'm afraid we experimented with changing them once before (and adding a whole second string of possible icons) but it didn't work out at the time. I'm sure its something we'll end up revisiting eventually.

Success! Here's the instructions...

Warnings:

This is a client-side only mod! Only you will see the new decal!

Furthermore anyone else using the same decal "slot" as you, you will see as using your custom decal too.

Tools you will need:

Steps:

1. Create your decal. It MUST be 64x64 pixels (yes I tried bigger sizes).
  2. Save as a .dds file. When asked, select "BC3 / DXT5" for Compression and make sure "Generate mipmaps" is checked.
  3. Check this page and find the decal you are currently using (i.e. the one you want to replace). Rename your .dds file from the previous step to match the listed name EXACTLY.
  4. Copy the .dds file into <your E&B install>\Data\common
  5. Enjoy!

For reference, I have attached my custom decal to this post. It replaces the "star" decal with my own.

evil_smiley.zip

Also, the decal orientation is 90deg off from what I expected. The top-bottom axis of the image is aligned with the front-back axis of the ship, in game. Scratch that, on my JS the top-bottom axis of the image is aligned with the front-back axis of the ship. However, on my TT the left-right axis of the image is aligned with the front-back axis of the ship. Weird. Nevermind all of that, the orientation of the decal shifts for different ships, just use the normal orientation (top is "up") and everything will be fine.

Alternately' date=' if I knew what tools to use to look through the .mix files, then I could dig around for it myself.[/quote']

For anyone that is curious, I used "Mix File Extractor" from here to pull out the files. Thanks for the pointer, Kyp!

Also, I used DDS Converter (2.1) to convert all the decals from .dds format to jpeg when I made the decal list.

-JoeTD

evil_smiley.zip

Edited by JoeTheDestroyer

Just to let ya know your Link to the DDS Converter dont work, here is the correct address: http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter;29412

One Question I do have is did you repack your file or just drop the new one in the common folder? Does the game automatically use the new one instead of the one in the mix file?

Edited by Maniac

Thanks for the instructions Joe, I'm going to have to try this.

Your welcome!

Just to let ya know your Link to the DDS Converter dont work, here is the correct address: http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/DDS_Converter;29412

Fixed, thanks. (I thought that last bit wasn't important, a session id or something. That's what I get for thinking, I guess...)

-JoeTD

Did you repack your DDS file or just drop the new DDS in the common folder? Does the game automatically use the new one instead of the one in the mix file?

Nope, just the plain file. Yes, the game automatically uses the files in the common folder over the ones in the mix file (you'll find that most games work this way, if you can find the right place to put the file).

-JoeTD

Ok cool, was wondering because im going to try my hand at "Modding" the ships. If it works the same way with the ship designs then it will be much easier to do quick changes.

Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing it!

I would be incredibly surprised if it didn't work the same way for everything. If you look in the common folder, you'll find the devs have already modded a number of things. This was how they added the "christmas" background music, for example.

-Joe

Ok cool, was wondering because im going to try my hand at "Modding" the ships. If it works the same way with the ship designs then it will be much easier to do quick changes.

Models are a biznitch to change, really only because of the format they're stored in. They use Westwood's proprietary W3D format to store the models and (I believe) textures. I know Hexergirl was able to get an object in-game, but I remember things like animations weren't working, so it may not be possible to do much with a player ship other than change the decals. That said, if you get anything neat working, we'd love to know about it.

Models are a biznitch to change, really only because of the format they're stored in. They use Westwood's proprietary W3D format to store the models and (I believe) textures. I know Hexergirl was able to get an object in-game, but I remember things like animations weren't working, so it may not be possible to do much with a player ship other than change the decals. That said, if you get anything neat working, we'd love to know about it.

Lol will do, however I consider myself a novice at it, I only have done a few small mods for Star Trek Bridge Commander and were not really that good.

Plus If I can ever pull myself away from playing EnB and start tinkering I might learn something hehe.

Lol will do, however I consider myself a novice at it, I only have done a few small mods for Star Trek Bridge Commander and were not really that good.

Plus If I can ever pull myself away from playing EnB and start tinkering I might learn something hehe.

Ah, I used to play that game all the time. I always wanted to see an MMO based off of it... too bad STO is terrible, or at least it was in beta and at release.

Ah, I used to play that game all the time. I always wanted to see an MMO based off of it... too bad STO is terrible, or at least it was in beta and at release.

STO has gotten better, but the basic game mechanic is the same. I still play it from time to time, but most of the time I find myself enjoying EnB more...

The best folder for new models is \Data \Client \Art

For music / sound it is \Data \Client \Sound

The mix files give you the folder name.

That is because the mix files are the folders, just packed.

Any model/graphic placed in \Art will be used over the ones in the mix files

Any sound/music in \Sound will be used over the ones in the mix files

The common folder is normally for files they don't match in the types of mix files.

Sure the common folder will work but if you have more files to change it's not a good idea to get them all together in one folder.

And you can change all to normal just if you rename or delete the Art or Sound folder.(and the right basset.ini if changed ;))

Model-Animations are working also, but there are some things to consider because the game just don't expect animations on all models, only some like gates, navs, and mobs.

If you want a new model animated, it must be marked as such a model.

And if you want to test a new model just search the basset id for a model you want to replace and change the file to your new file.

Just if there are graphic friends out there and want to put a hand on the models. :)

I'm not a graphic expert, why i just looked at it how it works to get new models or changed ones in the game.

greets

Hexergirl

• 2 months later...
I just wish they would unlock all the decals from the client. Got about 60 now I think it is, but there are closer to 150 available in the client files. Of course I think the FF one should remain locked. It was intended to only be for those in the original betas.

I still got this from the old forum. (08/09ish)
Put it in the art folder like Hexer said and visit Net-7 in Sol and look up to your left when entering the lobby.
Also works in stations with the same model.

Don't know who made it but I love it :)

[attachment=919:net7nwsrm256.zip]

[quote name='Bacchus' timestamp='1305333077' post='40682']
I still got this from the old forum. (08/09ish)
Put it in the art folder like Hexer said and visit Net-7 in Sol and look up to your left when entering the lobby.
Also works in stations with the same model.

Don't know who made it but I love it :)

[attachment=919:net7nwsrm256.zip]
[/quote]

Well I love coming into a station and seeing this...

[img]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e47/riz666/enb/ScreenShot86.jpg[/img]

Makes me feel all gigitty inside.