ceiling and floor roids

This may not be in the right spot for this discussion, but has anyone else noticed that when roids spawn either high or low on the "z axis" and you try to warp to them you get just so close to them and snap back (sometimes even farther than where you started)? The end result is you have to thrust to the roid(s) and this ends up taking so long (my TS had to thrust 14.35k for one in Adriel Prime). I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this, and if so: do these roids affect the field clear bonus, and (maybe) if there's anything the Devs can do to prevent the roids from spawning too high or low?

This may not be in the right spot for this discussion, but has anyone else noticed that when roids spawn either high or low on the "z axis" and you try to warp to them you get just so close to them and snap back (sometimes even farther than where you started)? The end result is you have to thrust to the roid(s) and this ends up taking so long (my TS had to thrust 14.35k for one in Adriel Prime). I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this, and if so: do these roids affect the field clear bonus, and (maybe) if there's anything the Devs can do to prevent the roids from spawning too high or low?

Let me guess that the roids were around +25 or -25 Kilometers on the Z-axis? If so, then that is a result from the Developer, of that Sector, making a very small Depth buffer.

- Marco

Let me guess that the roids were around +25 or -25 Kilometers on the Z-axis? If so, then that is a result from the Developer, of that Sector, making a very small Depth buffer.

- Marco

Currently mining in Adriel Prime with my TS and it seems the floor & ceiling is somewhere around +/- 9.5 on the z (or at least that's were the warp anomaly seems to start). Another sector I've noticed this in is Inverness but offhand I couldn't tell you where that one's floor & ceiling are.

Please do not make the game change any sector sizes on init.

The reason i am requesting this, is i have in development a dynamic sector map generator i have been working on. (Devs: PM me if you want to see a demo)

This loads sector dimensions and nav co-ords from the database fields - granted i only read at x/y as its a 2d map.

Thanks team :D

really glad to see you guys discussing this issue, from the live game i don't recall there being a z axis shift of more than about 5k, virtually all the asteroids spawned in belts that were on a fairly even plane, nor did they have super high center concentraitions I.e. 5-6 roids in the same spot, with outliers 25k away (here i'm thinking of the asteroid spawn south of the nav path in Inverness sector and of a certain crystal field in BBW that is off to the west of the navs). i seem to remember on average 3 different types of roids being in fields and that they were close enough together that you could get a dozen or so without having to move though you'd probably get 2-3 then move closer to the rest.

• 1 month later...

I noticed this last night in Freya. The rocks were fairly spread out and it was easier to warp to each rock. I was puzzled at first why I kept ending up several klicks away after warping. So I used thrusters and noticed I was going almost straight up or down. There were a couple that even using thrusters I could not get close enough to be within the range of my prospect beam. This makes clearing a field for the field bonus or re-spawn difficult if you can't get to them.

i seem to remember on average 3 different types of roids being in fields and that they were close enough together that you could get a dozen or so without having to move though you'd probably get 2-3 then move closer to the rest.

That is how I remember them. These new big ring of rocks fields makes gaining explore exp via mining even more painful because you spend much more time traveling to each individual rock, then mine that one rock then thrust to next rock - rinse, repeat for excruciatingly slow mining exp. In live you could position yourself to be able to tap a few at time before maneuvering. While you didn't get much exp per rock at least you could get a couple rocks fairly quickly so the rate of exp gain, while still less than combat or trade, was at least a tolerable grind.

I thought the rings were an improvement. the thrusting between the roids allows your reactor to recharge. It's also easier to keep track of clearing them and you don't have to look all around to find that 1 that is eluding you by hiding within another type of roid.

I have been doing most of my mining lately in 61 Cygni where the roids are more clustered like in live rather then in the ring formations that many fields are in now. I personally prefer the random cluster formations FAR FAR more then the rings, I like being able to warp over to a cluster and mine 4 or 5 roids without having to move at all then warp to another cluster and repeat I hate having to constantly thrust from one roid to the other. And besides the rings are so artificial, they just look terrible.

I have to say that I like the rings, but not the huge z-axis dispersion. I don't mind traveling up or down a bit, but that warp bug and having to thrust 6k to catch that one oddball 'roid way above/below me is kind of frustrating.

The rings give me a chance to warp away from the ore field guardian(s) lurking in one side of the ring, and mine the other, or drag the mob over to the far side of the ring before warping back to my original position.

I'd like to recommend flattening the z-axis distribution to at least inside the init buffer.

I have to say that I like the rings, but not the huge z-axis dispersion. I don't mind traveling up or down a bit, but that warp bug and having to thrust 6k to catch that one oddball 'roid way above/below me is kind of frustrating.

The rings give me a chance to warp away from the ore field guardian(s) lurking in one side of the ring, and mine the other, or drag the mob over to the far side of the ring before warping back to my original position.

I'd like to recommend flattening the z-axis distribution to at least inside the init buffer.

/signed

I love the variety and patterns, but just that z-axis issue is annoying :huh:

*points up* probably a clearer way of saying what my original post said

• 2 weeks later...

how should we deal with these? We can either treat them as "you can look but you can't touch!!", I can squeeze them inside the bounding box or I can adjust the Z bounds during sector init so all resources / navs will fit inside.

Has there been any further discussion amongst the DEVs about this? Inverness is currently filled with these roids, and it's getting to the point where mining there is almost pointless.

Has there been any further discussion amongst the DEVs about this? Inverness is currently filled with these roids, and it's getting to the point where mining there is almost pointless.

I cannot help with that sector since it is under the Kyp's domain. That would be like me being the guy on the left, with Kyp on the right in this video Not safe for kids (well the URL is not). Age 16 and up. (A bit loud on the volume)

- Marco

• 2 years later...
I've noticed the warp error not just with Ceiling and Floor roids, but also with warping to one of my alts. I will warp an alt to a proposed kill/grind site and park that alt +15k above the mob nav point. If I try to warp to this alt....it creates the warp error...I get to about 9 k from my alt, and about 12k below him, and warp right on past. I have to manually drop out of warp and thrust to my alt manually. This is the same with ceiling the floor roids. So it seems to be a game programming problem with basic game structure of warp limits.