EnB on Android?

I randomly had the idea that my G2 might be able to emulate Windows. A quick check on the Android Marketplace confirmed it. It's a modified version of DOSBox, and I'd be able to install Windows 98. I'm looking at the EnB retail box (of course I kept mine - didn't you?), and it says that it can run under Win98. I'm wondering if the launcher would work...

Has anybody else tried this yet? I'll post my progress if I can get it up and running. I've been able to play EnB while tethered to my phone's internet, so my connection can support it. I wonder if I'd be able to give the VM network access?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, logistically speaking, I would think so. This phone is probably close to as powerful as the laptop I ran EnB on when my alienware died. Like you said, connection is a nonissue, 3g is way faster than 56k. I say it's worth a shot! *waits for someone to rain on the parade*

The emu will not run on win98, only xp and above I believe.

What are the hardware requirements?

Minimum Configuration

Windows® XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000 (Service Pack 2 or higher), Windows 98 (Windows 95 and Windows NT are not supported)

56 Kbps or faster Internet connection

500 MHz Intel® Pentium® III or AMD® Athlon™ processor

128 MB RAM

4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive

1.5 GB free hard disk space (additional space required for Windows swap-file and DirectXâ„¢ 8.1 installation)

32 MB Hardware Accelerated video card with DirectX 8.1 compatible driver

DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card

Keyboard

Mouse

Recommended

800 MHz or faster Intel® Pentium® III or AMD® Athlon™ processor

256 MB or more RAM

16x or faster CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive

2 GB free hard disk space

Taken from here

DirectX 8.1 is going to be the major stumbling block. It all depends on whether you can you install DX8 and run in on the hardware and drivers supplied for your phone.

Also, you probably won't be able to use the launcher (the .NET Framework is barely supported in Win98, and the launcher is unlikely to run), but you can get around this by using net7proxy directly.

Good luck. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I managed to get Windows 95 running, but it was a Russian version, because that's what the program came with. I've since had to send my phone back because of an unrelated problem, and now the new one is acting up, so I might have to return that one, too. Once I get a stable phone, I'm going to install an English version of Win98, and see if I can install EnB. Will post any updates. In the meantime, What are the lowest specs you guys have been able to run the emu on so far?

@Slayerman: Those are the specs for the original game. Once I got the idea in my head, I checked the retail box just to confirm that the game could be run on Windows 98. My phone meets (and exceeds) all the requirements as far as memory and processor speed. Since Windows can run, I assume it can emulate the architecture well enough to be able to run Windows apps, but I won't know for sure until I get it set up properly on my phone. Like I said in the first post, I don't know if I can access the data connection, and now C Del has me worried about DirectX. I know the phone supports 3D, as there are a number of 3D games out for it, but I don't know if the Windows emulator will be able to work with that. We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Here's a neat thing that was just pointed out on Engadget today:

"APK puts Windows 95, 98 and XP, plus Linux on the EVO 3D" -- [url="http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/30/apk-puts-windows-95-98-and-xp-plus-linux-on-the-evo-3d/"]http://www.engadget....-on-the-evo-3d/[/url]

Now you can play EnB on the EVO 3D :P

But the behind the scenes story really is along the lines of being able to run a full OS on android using the Boch's Pentium Emulator APK ( [url="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1389700"]http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1389700[/url] ) - I'm sure it'd run on more than just the EVO 3D. Edited by Zathman