Different ways of healing.

Hrarthgar

I was thinking today about the different classes and their type of play style. What occured to me is that even though they are different play styles they all have the same shield recharge skill. just a Very Large Charge.

Well you have the TT wich is pure trader and stays ouf of the fight most of the time. I like the idea with the Large shield recharge as it is, since most people are comfortable witht hat style recharge for their class. And I think it is great for them. And I think it is balanced meaning they may need help with some of the other classes out there to help them keep their reactor up.

The other calsses I think need to be changed.

the Progen Privateer. Has lvl 9 reactor and can do the very large shield recahrges endlessly. I can keep them going without running otu of reactor and do them just as fast as teh skill recharge will let me. Which cuts out the need for a JE or any skill that requires me to need reactor maintainence. I was thinking the PP would be a GREAT candidate for a HOT (heal over time) skill.

--- My idea for the PP was to do something witht the shield invert (say a reverse shield invert) skill where it is sucking the Shields from enemies and sending it to the group members in a constant flow. Now the idea is that the PP is more of a fighter class and not a healer, so I would think the "shield drain nova" or whatever woudl be an offensive weapon, It could still do the damage of the shield nova, but the added bonus is the smaller heal over time that can be given. What is good about this is that in large battles where a TT might not be able to keep up the PP would be able to drain a TON of mobs at one time sending thier shield recharge to the group. So the PP doesn't out heal the TT, but can be a welcome addition to heals when there are lots of angy things out there.

--- For the JS i was thinking the jenquai are more of a direct class. Choosing stealth and instant damage, and cunning techniques to take down a mob. They already have a psi shield so I think it could be put into practice as something more on the line of a skill like a "Shield Lattice" or something, where maybe they can crystalize the shield of say the tank so that it takes much less damage from mobs, say a 25% less or whatever. And instead of healing at all, thier skill is to Copy the tank and maintain a copy that the mob targets.

------other idea for the js was that With the addition of the less damage taken on shields, the Psi shield is used moer of a healing technique. So that the goal is for the tank to never take damage... psi shield the tank, put the -25% or so resistance on him, and heal through preventative measures.

idk I just feel like they are all the same heals really just in a different package. I mean I know the TT already gets shield charge which helps out a lot, and kinda makes it the same as me not being able to shield charge but having lvl 9 reactor.

just food for thought. would like to see what people think of this or the other ideas that might be flying around out there.

Interesting ideas. It would be nice if the different classes could be differentiated a little. I really dislike how the PP can spam shield recharging endlessly. In my opinion, it really undermines the TT in a combat setting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting ideas. It would be nice if the different classes could be differentiated a little. I really dislike how the PP can spam shield recharging endlessly. In my opinion, it really undermines the TT in a combat setting.

Yes I totally agree that the PP is a bit overpowered shield healer, because the groups I go with use the PP we don't usually take a JE or other classes that we don't need.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Like the PP idea but I was thinking transferring it from mobs will essentially make it like shield sap-- instead I was thinking exactly how Shield Inversion works now except that it heals all friendly targets in range at a constant rate instead of damaging hostiles. Although on giving it more thought this makes it really tough to work out for high-level raids where the damage gets focused on the tank etc.

Like the PP idea but I was thinking transferring it from mobs will essentially make it like shield sap-- instead I was thinking exactly how Shield Inversion works now except that it heals all friendly targets in range at a constant rate instead of damaging hostiles. Although on giving it more thought this makes it really tough to work out for high-level raids where the damage gets focused on the tank etc.

Yeah, I guess I don't want it to work like shield sap. but I think that since the PP is more of a combat class anyways he can still use his shield invert, just like think it could return a small amout of the damage done as heal, not reall sap. Just has like a 2 way ability with it. Would also have to supplement the tank with a heal over time heal like a heal that instead of being big say has to be renewed every so many seconds or so that would heal for say 5-10k every second?

I guess my thought kinda gets bogged down cause I like fighting with my PP, but I need to realized it has to it should be able to be a main healer, just want to fight and heal at the same time lol

--- For the JS i was thinking the jenquai are more of a direct class. Choosing stealth and instant damage, and cunning techniques to take down a mob. They already have a psi shield so I think it could be put into practice as something more on the line of a skill like a "Shield Lattice" or something, where maybe they can crystalize the shield of say the tank so that it takes much less damage from mobs, say a 25% less or whatever. And instead of healing at all, thier skill is to Copy the tank and maintain a copy that the mob targets.

------other idea for the js was that With the addition of the less damage taken on shields, the Psi shield is used moer of a healing technique. So that the goal is for the tank to never take damage... psi shield the tank, put the -25% or so resistance on him, and heal through preventative measures.

The V'rix had something similar to this in Live, only it would make the tank(whichever one you started shooting first) completely immune to damage, so you would have to switch targets. That obviously wouldnt work for players, but maybe a reverse of that, making all damage taken by the anyone under its effects be split among the everyone else in the group thats also under its effects. If you didnt put it on anyone with L8 shields they wouldnt share the damage, but they also wouldnt share the damage if they were targeted themselves.

The JS no longer has Psi-sield, and Psi-shield would have to be reworked for that to happen, it currently ignores all resists and takes full damage, even still it takes too long to activate(it isnt reduced by item buffs unlike some other skills) and currently caps at 20k, 14k without raid gear. End game this skill is a joke, only there for pre-buffing to help you survive that first shot with L8 shields.

Maybe have the L6(4th) skill work as a single target, and the L7(5th) skill be the nova, and have the nova split the heal among group members, and keep the 4th skill worth using on a single target. Would need a very low, or instant, activation time if its going to work over time.

Disclaimer: I don't play a TT, so forgive me if any of this seems unfair. I will admit that I'm a fan of both the PP and JS classes and do play both.

For the PP

With L9 shields and high reactor, perhaps allow the PP to have a damage split skill? Basically, this new skill allows the PP to extend his/her shields around a single target (within the group only), thereby taking a maximum of 50% of the damage that target would normally get. It's reactor use is similar to how cloak works in that it consumes reactor for as long as it's active, and prevents other skills and devices from being used until the extension is turned off. It has an initial energy use for the activation and then a reactor/second consumption as well. Any target may also only have one of these buffs at a time, and activation is prevented until the skill is turned off fully. This is to prevent multiple PPs from chaining/overlapping the activation of the skill.

So for the duration of the skill, the PP must rely on natural recharge (plus buffs if you have a JS/JE in group). This would make the skill easy to balance around recharge times so that a solo PP couldn't keep the extension up all the time and won't be able to turn it on/off to throw a recharge between activations.

This should be a 5-tier skill where each tier allows the PP to take more of the damage, starting at 10% for tier 1. This would allow lowbie PPs to be part of high level combat groups, but be "gimped" for raids. This is to prevent lowbies going into raids for freebies by effectively hurting the groups.

In this scenario, if you have a PP in the group, they won't be healing, but will be doing damage mitigation. You'll still need a TT/JS to augment and top off the tank (presumably the PW) and the PP as well as a JE to constantly top off the PP's reactor. This allows groups with more healing/mitigation potential (and therefore less dps) to be able to handle mobs more safely, but take more time. Groups with superior dps will take down mobs faster, but with more risk. Seems like a good trade off.

For the JS

With level 8 shields as max, it's hard to give the JS a new heal related skill based off of shield cap like the PP, but with his/her superior reactor, perhaps a small heal over time makes sense. Again, like the PP's skill, it's initial reactor use to activate, and then constant reactor drain while it's in effect.

The amount healed depends on the skill level (assume this is your typical 5 tier skill) and needs to be investigated/balanced more carefully than I can come up with right now. Suffice it to say, it should not be more efficient than Shield Recharge. It can heal more, but should cost a lot more reactor to do so. The benefit of using this versus Shield Recharge is that it's a consistent amount of heal to the group, whereas Shield Recharge is a large heal to one target, with much smaller group heals (using Area Shield Recharge). The negative is that it should be a huge drain on reactor, but the JS can afford it.

This type of heal would allow content devs to create some interesting environmental/area damage skills for mobs.

For the TT

The major problem I have with my own suggestions is that it makes both of the above classes seem more interesting/fun (at least to me) than the TT. I know it would be a major break with canon to change the TT, but perhaps the community and dev team could come up with some workable middle ground to freshen up the TT. Both of the proposed skills prevent the PP/JS from continuing to do anything other than heal. They can add dps... but with the ongoing reactor drain, it's probably not prudent for them to do so. Perhaps this could be an area of improvement for the TT? Perhaps use of the Shield Charge skill imposes a self-buff that gives them some combat benefit, thus elevating their role in a group?

I'm not sure, I don't play a TT, so it's hard for me to know how my PP/JS suggestions would impact the TT class.

Anyways, just some thoughts, not complete ones either... Any feedback is appreciated.

Edited by Fuulish

The Shield Charge bubble is most desireable in raids with it's buffs, especially to PW's as it enhances their Sap. I don't see any fear of them becoming obsolete in raid settings.

Personally I like having a PP or JS along in a raid group, gives my TT time to shunt reactor without someone getting incapped in the process, not to mention relieve the finger cramping from spamming the recharge button. :P

The heal over time idea is interesting for sure. I'm not quite sure if it could lead to exploitive use coupled with a PW using nova or something, but would be fun to test out at any rate. ;)

To fuulish

I like the idea of giving the PP the a damage mitigation ability but If all the trader classes can be healers would that be taking away all the healing abilities fo the PP away? Just allowing the Tank to go for another few seconds before needing to be healed?

Idk, It is a neat idea that the Pp could absorb some incoming damage, but I think they would need a way to renew the shields of the group. maybe more of a direct link to whoever is targeted and no splash heals?

At any rate I hope if there are any changes the play styles of the characters are looiked at closely. Bold terrans, powerful progens, cunning jenquai.

Oh was going to say I know that psi shield kinda sucks right now, but I guess my though for the js was to be able to keep the tank from taking damage in teh first place. Say if the tank takes a huge hit, the js could refresh the psi shield, maybe there is another skill that reduces more damage. (my thought on damage reduction is say a partial summon where some the attacks pass through the tank and have a much higher chance to miss. So the PW tank with shield sap refreshes his shields, and uses hsi shields own recharge to keep them topped up, while the js keeps mobs from hitting him so often and keeps a renewable shield around them.

I like the basics people have sugguested. My thought on it would be define roles for each healer. Being a healer doesn't mean you just cast big heals, damage migitation and such are very nice when properly implemented. Maybe something like this:

TT- Keeps its current form, the common MMO healer. Handles the big bulky damage healing role

JS- The damage reduction class. Loses the shield recharge ability but gains something akin to PSI shield/Shield-Charge that reduces damage. Seems to fit into the role of Jenquai being more about protecting than doing straight combat. Could even throw a SMALL combat buff on this ability, if it is usable on yourself it could help JS in solo combat while leveling.

PP- The PP would lose Shield Recharge (or cap it at lv5 like some skills are, Combat Shield Recharge or whatever it is) and gain a new class skill that is more of a combat-based ability. I can't come up with anything on what the skill should be though. Both the TS and JT have class only skills, as does most classes, the PP could really use one to set it apart. Plus if the PP loses Shield Recharge, or it is capped at lv5, it would provide the slight nerf needed for the class. Everyone can agree the class is a little too good right now. I mean Crit Target, Menance, Shield Recharge, Lv9 Reactor/Shield, only thing its missing is Grav Link and it would be the Ultimate Progen.

• Upvote 1

@Hrathgar

I wasn't meaning to remove the existing shield recharge skill, but to add a new skill for the PP. As far as I understood, the PP was still missing a skill (I could be wrong) and thus that was the angle I was taking.

PT is 1 skill short, Scout awaits Afterburn & Null-Factor, JT has full set of skills, except for affiliation skill. If there are two possible skills for PT, they'll have to lose one skill somewhere.

For the JT. If you want the JT to reduce incoming damage in raids, give her a line of devices that debuffs weapon handling, or debuffs weapon damage. (by a noticable, but not overpowered amount) This would effectively reduce incoming damage, provided she gets the device to hit. Would fit her role as the explore orientated Trader as well. Deflect buffs are already covered by the explorer classes and the "animal skin" devices.