Out of context help

Super Bowl Winner  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who should I root for in the Super Bowl

• Pittsburgh Steelers
    • Green Bay Packers

Ok, here is my issue. I have watched every Super Bowl since 1980 and have found a reason to root for at least one of the teams competing. This year I am struggling to find a reason to root for either of them. Here is my background. I grew up with my older brother and father who were both Steelers fans, I didn't want to follow the group so I rooted for the Raiders and have been a fan for 30 years. Going all the way back to the early 70's and the Immaculate Reception (google it if you don't know what that is), I have found it hard to ever root for Pittsburgh. 95 I rooted for the Cowboys against them, 2005 I rooted for Seattle, 2008 I rooted for Arizona. Now on the other side, we have Green Bay. When they first went back to Super Bowl in 96 with Favre, I rooted for them and in 97 against Denver, well being a Raiders fan I automatically have to root against Denver. After that point, Packer fans started to get a little too full of themselves and made it difficult to want to root for them again. I was hoping for a Bears/Jets Super Bowl, but since they both lost, now I don't know what to do. Here's my pro's and con's:

Green Bay pro - I am from the midwest

Steelers pro - They are from the AFC same as my team

Green Bay con - Aaron Rodgers little championship belt thing he does when he scores

Pittsburgh con - Ben Roethlisberger is a tool

Green Bay pro - Clay Matthews Jr. The hair, the attitude, great player, fun to watch

Pittsburgh pro - Troy Polamalu. Ditto

So I'm asking for a little help, please vote on who you think I should root for.

I am similarly conflicted. As a Bears fan I'm not predisposed to cheer for the Pack, but I do like the fact that they are from the NFC Central, errr, North. I liked the Steel Curtain back in the day but agree on the douchieness of Rothlisberger.

However, here's something to consider . . . Steelers fans grow up as Steelers fans. Packers fans, on the other hand, need to be forced to be Packers fans:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2008-01-16-father-arrested_N.htm

However, here's something to consider . . . Steelers fans grow up as Steelers fans. Packers fans, on the other hand, need to be forced to be Packers fans:

http://www.usatoday....-arrested_N.htm

I like stupid people...they're job security for me.

Back on topic, I usually cheer for whomever takes my favorite team's division, assuming it wasn't my team (I'm still in shock over the fact the 'Hawks made the playoffs with a losing record). Besides that, I always cheer for anyone playing against the Steelers, so I guess I'll be a cheesehead for a day.

Ok, here is my issue. I have watched every Super Bowl since 1980 and have found a reason to root for at least one of the teams competing. This year I am struggling to find a reason to root for either of them. Here is my background. I grew up with my older brother and father who were both Steelers fans, I didn't want to follow the group so I rooted for the Raiders and have been a fan for 30 years. Going all the way back to the early 70's and the Immaculate Reception (google it if you don't know what that is), I have found it hard to ever root for Pittsburgh. 95 I rooted for the Cowboys against them, 2005 I rooted for Seattle, 2008 I rooted for Arizona. Now on the other side, we have Green Bay. When they first went back to Super Bowl in 96 with Favre, I rooted for them and in 97 against Denver, well being a Raiders fan I automatically have to root against Denver. After that point, Packer fans started to get a little too full of themselves and made it difficult to want to root for them again. I was hoping for a Bears/Jets Super Bowl, but since they both lost, now I don't know what to do. Here's my pro's and con's:

Green Bay pro - I am from the midwest

Steelers pro - They are from the AFC same as my team

Green Bay con - Aaron Rodgers little championship belt thing he does when he scores

Pittsburgh con - Ben Roethlisberger is a tool

Green Bay pro - Clay Matthews Jr. The hair, the attitude, great player, fun to watch

Pittsburgh pro - Troy Polamalu. Ditto

So I'm asking for a little help, please vote on who you think I should root for.

As a miserable Raiders fan to another, I too find it hard to root for anything to do with the Steelers. I really like Tomlin as a coach, but can't stomach him as a Steeler.

Besides a buddy of mine is a guard for the Packers. I am obligated to root for him and the Packers by default.

Edited by Muhir

• 2 weeks later...

GREEN BAY PWNED THE STEELERS!!! :huh:

Sry this is late, but I was rooting on Green Bay before the superbowl.

I always have believe they have a good coach and it's not just the quarterback that makes the team a winner. Sense Brett Favre left the team. Most thought that was like loosing an arm or a leg. But Green Bay pulled through with a new Quarter Back no cheerleaders surprisingly maybe there a distraction during football who knows. :blink: And won the game with skillz and technics was awesome game and beer!!!! lol

Just in case people were wondering, I still couldn't decide who to root for prior to the game. When the Packers jumped out to the big early lead, I started rooting for the Steelers, just for the simple fact that I wanted a decent game to watch not a blowout. But, the commercials are always the best part. Little kid in the Darth Vader costume was funny, the amazing rack commercial with Faith Hill was good, the Snickers commercial with Roseanne was awesome.

And Christina Aguilera messing up the national anthem was priceless.