Buildable Starbases.

Eckman

I'd like to see guild have the option to construct their own star base. This is no easy task, it should take hundreds of thousands of materials to make. The guild leader should be able to choose from say like 10-15 pre rendered designs, each with their own component requirements. Bigger the base the longer it takes to make. no money should be involved as there seems to be an over abandance of funds. Only guild member will be able to dock at their own base and no other guild starbase. Size will determine which material, equipment vendors will be available and to what max level. The bases will accomodate all classes. Players will still need to seek out their appropriate starbases for training, but the guild ones will have most of the supplies they will need. The guild leaders and server staff will be the ones to choose the location of the base.

This is just an idea I have been mulling over since I started playing here. Please leave constructive feedback. IE "This sucks" or "This is awesome" is not constructive.

• Downvote 2

Not to be "that" guy... But I believe the game you're looking for is EVE Online.

No i'm in the right game. They are devloping it, no reason they can't create new content. You're (or were) part of the devs, perhaps you can give some sort of insight beyond telling me im in the wrong game. Cmon show some insight please.

Edited by Eckman

Idk if this is possible, sounds like a huge pita to code if it is and would probably fall wayyyy down the list of priorities seeing how the devs have their hands full getting skills, items, and new content working along with fixing bugs and balancing things out. EnB doesn't lend itself to the idea nearly as well as Eve (ever been in an Eve starbase? Not much to it.) But I'm certainly not against it and if the dev team ever grew to the point where they have the manpower available to do such a thing I think it'd be awesome. Time being though, I'm ok with f7 being everyone's guild hq ;)

In and of itself, creating a starbase in the game somewhere and filling it up with NPCs, terminals, etc, isn't hard to do, but it's a content thing and not really something that could be dynamically generated at a whim. As far as I understand it right now, it can be done with developer tools, which ultimately require patch updates to the clients. I don't see that as being scalable to the degree that a guild can do build their own.

Something that might be doable (and palatable to the devs and community) is rotational "ownership" of some station somewhere. Winning rights to that station happens through some currently unavailable content, and the winner may get to designate some features/aspect of the station and have bragging rights for a period of time. That could easily be something handled as flavor content through in game contests etc. Might even be fun for the devs. But deploying it would definitely fall in the category of "patch update."

When I made my comment, I thought you were referring to how in EVE, a corporation could build a starbase out in space (assuming they had the right EVERYTHING ELSE in place) without intervention by devs. In EVE, starbase building is part of the core game, so anyone could do it at any time without patching clients.

This is something that's quite difficult to do. I always wanted to see this done in live, but of course EA wasn't willing to put a little thing called "work" into the game.

The problems with guild starbases are numerous and difficult to overcome. The most important are the following:

• It would take a long time (really, really long) to code.
  • We have so few players, it would be tough to avoid either having one megaguild-controlled starbase or a hundred useless starbases owned by small to medium-sized guilds.
  • It's a balancing nightmare.
  • We have lots of stuff what needs done 'fore I recokon we'll have the time to tinker with this.

That said, I really would like something like this to be added at some point, but that point is yet a good stretch down the road from here.

• Upvote 2