Crashing to Desktop when going through a gate

Ever since the Decembet update, I've been crashing to the desktop pretty much every time i try to gate to a different sector. (Occasionally i can gate successfully, i'd say about 1 in 10 times ). Then when logging back in, I select the character and it flips to the galaxy map screen for a couple of seconds, then boom back to desktop. This happens 4-5 times before it finally lets me back into the game. And it isn't a time issue between logins, as I went to bed when i crashed gating last night, and it still took 4-5 tries to login this morning.

I know there are some lag issues in certain sectors since the December update that Tien is working on, and I'm sure that this is probably a symptom of those issues.

I did notice that when i 1st try to log in after a gate crash, the location of my character still shows the sector i was gating from.. and it takes another login/crash or two before it actually shows my location as the new sector.

Is there any extra commandline options i can try to produce some kind of log or feedback as to why this keeps happening? I was running 2 clients on this machine without a problem before the update, now I can't even keep one connected. I've tried doing a forced updated, but I still have the problem. I've tried turning on/off the packet optimizations and also the prototype re-ordering with no noticeable change in the frequency of crashes.

As far as I'm aware everything was running fine on my newer rig, even after the update, but that system is currently 300 miles away. I guess I should have stayed awake and finished the Xmas content Quest on that system, as I don't see it happening on this one.

Laptop Specs: Acer Aspire 5672WLMi - Intel Core Duo T2300, 1GB DDR2 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400.

New System Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, MSI 790FX-GD70 Mobo, Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 in CrossFire Mode, 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1.5TB Hard Drives, LG Blu-Ray Writer, LG DVD Burner, Antec TruePower 750W PSU, ASUS 24" 1080p LCD Monitor, Creative 5.1 Surround Speakers, Logitech G15 Keyboard, MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000.

Have tried force updating without any luck in curing the problem.

Last night i even uninstalled EnB and net7 launcher, manually trolled my registry getting rid of any left over keys, downloaded files again and reinstalled and updated. I kept my fingers and toes crossed, but to no avail. The first gate I went thru ( ABG -> Saturn ) boom .. CTD again. Logged back in, selected toon, galaxy map briefly pops up, then CTD. CTD 3 more times after selecting a toon, any toon not neccessarily the same one, before it actually puts me in my ship.

I'm even CTD'ing when docking and undocking.

It is starting to get very frustrating. I don't mind testing software and having it crash on me, as long as something useful is being generated from it. But right now, I feel like the only thing happening is my patience is disappearing.

I'm running Win XP SP3 on this laptop .. and it was comfortable running 2 clients without a problem before the update at xmas.

I almost always play solo, so grouping is not the issue. I've even checked and dbl checked my router and firewall settings... And it happens on all 3 accounts i have, so its not a corrupt toon.

I just cannot fathom this out .. and i;m running out of hair to pull out.

Any advice will be welcome ... As I mentioned before I'd love to be able to run the game and generate some kind of log for you guys to see exactly why its crashing...

At least then something useful will come of this..

After 3 CTD's this morning after doing the fresh install, I haven't had one since... knock on wood .. I can gate again !!

Dunno what happend... one minute i was moaning to Soldier .. than i gated successfullly .. and again ... and again ..

Dang it .. i cursed myself by editing this ... tried to gate into ABG .. and CTD .. and again and again trying to log back in.

Edited by Woozy

Have tried force updating without any luck in curing the problem.

Last night i even uninstalled EnB and net7 launcher, manually trolled my registry getting rid of any left over keys, downloaded files again and reinstalled and updated. I kept my fingers and toes crossed, but to no avail. The first gate I went thru ( ABG -> Saturn ) boom .. CTD again. Logged back in, selected toon, galaxy map briefly pops up, then CTD. CTD 3 more times after selecting a toon, any toon not neccessarily the same one, before it actually puts me in my ship.

I'm even CTD'ing when docking and undocking.

It is starting to get very frustrating. I don't mind testing software and having it crash on me, as long as something useful is being generated from it. But right now, I feel like the only thing happening is my patience is disappearing.

I'm running Win XP SP3 on this laptop .. and it was comfortable running 2 clients without a problem before the update at xmas.

I almost always play solo, so grouping is not the issue. I've even checked and dbl checked my router and firewall settings... And it happens on all 3 accounts i have, so its not a corrupt toon.

I just cannot fathom this out .. and i;m running out of hair to pull out.

Any advice will be welcome ... As I mentioned before I'd love to be able to run the game and generate some kind of log for you guys to see exactly why its crashing...

At least then something useful will come of this..

After 3 CTD's this morning after doing the fresh install, I haven't had one since... knock on wood .. I can gate again !!

Dunno what happend... one minute i was moaning to Soldier .. than i gated successfullly .. and again ... and again ..

Dang it .. i cursed myself by editing this ... tried to gate into ABG .. and CTD .. and again and again trying to log back in.

What's the name of your character that's stuck? When you have this problem, does it keep you from getting back on just the character you were playing when you CTD'd or all of them? I would suggest trying rebooting your computer when this happens. I've noticed that CTDs sometimes seem to mess something up networking-wise, which prevent you from connecting to sector servers again until your networking hardware and software is reset.

What's the name of your character that's stuck? When you have this problem, does it keep you from getting back on just the character you were playing when you CTD'd or all of them? I would suggest trying rebooting your computer when this happens. I've noticed that CTDs sometimes seem to mess something up networking-wise, which prevent you from connecting to sector servers again until your networking hardware and software is reset.

The character i play the most is Cometus but when i CTD it affects all the toons on that account.

When I get booted to desktop, I normally do take the time to reboot the laptop, but as you can imagine I've gotten really tired of doing that lately. It doesnt matter which character I was playing at the time of the crash, trying to log in any other character on that account will result in 3-4 more crashes to desktop after i select the character and the galaxy map pops up briefly, then BOOM ! desktop. I can log in immediately if I try a different account without any crashes.

I did notice that more often than not, If the Red location circle appeared on my galaxy map when gating, then I would not crash.

Is there some kind of log I can generate to see why exactly it is crashing ?

I have another, "old", PC ( Athlon XP 2000+, 1GB RAM, GF4 ti 4600 ) here but i need to get windows reintalled on that one before I can install EnB on it. and I left all my windows install media down at the beach house ....

I'm gonna try taking my router out of the equation later on tonight... It's been acting a little flaky lately .. So I will let you know how it goes. (i could ping the router, and get on the internet .. but it would not let me access the router set-up pages .. just sat there unable to find 192.168.0.1 for 20 minutes )

Hmm.. If logging into a different account fixes it, it may in fact be server-related. Does that always work? Does rebooting always work?

I did some more testing tonight... and if i try to log on any of my accounts after i CTD, they all CTD after i select a toon, and it flips over to the galaxy map. For the next 3-4 times after that, i log in and select character, galaxy map, CTD. Rebooting doesn't fix the problem. I even removed my router to see if its flaky firmware was cutting me off, but I get the same result plugged directly into the cable modem. What seems strange to me is that if I CTD, and decide to take a break for an hour or two, or even the rest of the night, I still CTD again that 3-4 times when i decide to try and log back into the game.

The apartment complex where I currently live supplies it's own media package, a custom version of dishnetwork, and for the "broadband" internet it has a T1 connection shared to all the subscribers, and the "support" staff here are as useful as an inflatible dart board. They won't allow any other cable tv or internet vendors hook up to the buildings, so they have a monopoly, and switching ISP's is impossible.( i hate this place... only get 1/10th of the bandwidth i have at beach on a good day )

Any suggested downloads so i can try and figure this out ? I took most of my software and games discs down to the beach and left them there, but I think i have an old version of port explorer hiding around here somewhere that i can install and see if anything is conflicting.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cometus

I did some more testing tonight... and if i try to log on any of my accounts after i CTD, they all CTD after i select a toon, and it flips over to the galaxy map. For the next 3-4 times after that, i log in and select character, galaxy map, CTD. Rebooting doesn't fix the problem. I even removed my router to see if its flaky firmware was cutting me off, but I get the same result plugged directly into the cable modem. What seems strange to me is that if I CTD, and decide to take a break for an hour or two, or even the rest of the night, I still CTD again that 3-4 times when i decide to try and log back into the game.

The apartment complex where I currently live supplies it's own media package, a custom version of dishnetwork, and for the "broadband" internet it has a T1 connection shared to all the subscribers, and the "support" staff here are as useful as an inflatible dart board. They won't allow any other cable tv or internet vendors hook up to the buildings, so they have a monopoly, and switching ISP's is impossible.( i hate this place... only get 1/10th of the bandwidth i have at beach on a good day )

Any suggested downloads so i can try and figure this out ? I took most of my software and games discs down to the beach and left them there, but I think i have an old version of port explorer hiding around here somewhere that i can install and see if anything is conflicting.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cometus

Hmm. If rebooting doesn't help consistently, I get the feeling it has something to do with the server, but the fact that you end up CTDing on all your accounts makes it less simple. Next time you CTD, do me a favor and ping play.net-7.org, and use Port Explorer to check if any UDP sockets remain open after the CTD.

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar problem. I CTD'd trying to dock with Luna Station, and now I keep crashing when I try to load that toon. I have an alt on the same account that loads just fine, and one on another account that also loads fine. I also tried logging in a number of times, kept crashing. I tried it on a different computer, same thing. Any ideas?

I'm having a similar problem. I CTD'd trying to dock with Luna Station, and now I keep crashing when I try to load that toon. I have an alt on the same account that loads just fine, and one on another account that also loads fine. I also tried logging in a number of times, kept crashing. I tried it on a different computer, same thing. Any ideas?

When you crash between sectors, sometimes your position data gets saved incorrectly and it causes your client to crash when the server tells it that your ship is, for example, a thousand kilometers outside the sector boundaries; this is referred to as being "blackholed". I've moved you into Luna Station now, so you should be able to log in again. If you still have trouble getting in, let me know.

When you crash between sectors, sometimes your position data gets saved incorrectly and it causes your client to crash when the server tells it that your ship is, for example, a thousand kilometers outside the sector boundaries; this is referred to as being "blackholed". I've moved you into Luna Station now, so you should be able to log in again. If you still have trouble getting in, let me know.

Tried it on both computers, still crashes when I try to choose Ghinn.

Still crashing. Characters on other accounts are fine, so I'm still playing and enjoying the game, but I'd love to be able to work on my TE.

Does net7proxy crash when the client crashes or does it remain open? The log of net7proxy's output might be useful. If you can, copy the output from the net7proxy box (Right click anywhere in the net7proxy box > Select All, then press Enter) and paste it here.

Does net7proxy crash when the client crashes or does it remain open? The log of net7proxy's output might be useful. If you can, copy the output from the net7proxy box (Right click anywhere in the net7proxy box > Select All, then press Enter) and paste it here.

Net7Proxy crashes shortly after the game crashes. It took a couple of tries before I could copy the output.

Net7Proxy version 1.99

Using IP: 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)

06/02/11 20:04:19 Attempting to connect to IP address: 87.106.15.67

06/02/11 20:04:19 Sending login.

06/02/11 20:04:20 login OK

06/02/11 20:04:47 MVAS thread running

06/02/11 20:04:47 Received Master login confirm, new UDP port is 3653 Avatar_id

= 1073758825

06/02/11 20:04:47 <server> Master Login received - UDP sector port: 3653

06/02/11 20:04:47 >> Commence Login check.

06/02/11 20:04:47 Sending Login packet - connection active

06/02/11 20:04:51 Sending data file 'GalaxyMap.dat'

06/02/11 20:04:52 Sending StartAck to Server 17001

06/02/11 20:04:52 >> Login check: Login OK

06/02/11 20:04:53 TCP connection on port 3500 was reset

06/02/11 20:04:53 Client connections terminated

06/02/11 20:04:53 TCP connection on port 3801 was reset

06/02/11 20:04:57 Client has terminated. Sending termination signal.

Edited by Ghinn

And now it's happening on another account. Docked at Earth Station, accidentally clicked to talk to Donny Elfman, and no dialogue box came up. I hit escape and exited to character selection, but now it's crashing when I try to play.

And now it's happening on another account. Docked at Earth Station, accidentally clicked to talk to Donny Elfman, and no dialogue box came up. I hit escape and exited to character selection, but now it's crashing when I try to play.

What character is it? I'll try moving them into Earth Station. I'm really not sure why this is happening, so I don't know what else to try.

What character is it? I'll try moving them into Earth Station. I'm really not sure why this is happening, so I don't know what else to try.

My second character is working again, guess it was just a fluke. Ghinn still crashes.

Could you try moving Ghinn back to Luna Station? When I click on him, it still says that that's where he is. If it doesn't work after that, I'll scrap him and start over. I appreciate all your help with this. I wish the problem had been apparent, that it could be fixed so other people don't lose characters. I'm just lucky that he wasn't so far along that it's a huge deal to start over.

Could you try moving Ghinn back to Luna Station? When I click on him, it still says that that's where he is. If it doesn't work after that, I'll scrap him and start over. I appreciate all your help with this. I wish the problem had been apparent, that it could be fixed so other people don't lose characters. I'm just lucky that he wasn't so far along that it's a huge deal to start over.

Moved him back. Sorry about this, there are just too many possible places the character could be corrupted, it's nearly impossible to tell where things are hanging up.

Moved him back. Sorry about this, there are just too many possible places the character could be corrupted, it's nearly impossible to tell where things are hanging up.

Damn, still not working. Ah, well. Thanks for trying.

• 2 weeks later...

I get about the same thing when I leave the character selection screen I get error:"Server failed to respond to sector login"

C:\NET7\bin>cd "C:\NET7\bin"

C:\NET7\bin>"C:\NET7\bin\Net7Proxy.exe" /ADDRESS:87.106.15.67 /CLIENT:"C:\PROGRA

~1\EAGAME~1\EARTH&~1\release\client.exe" /DEBUGL

Net7Proxy version 2.00

Params: /ADDRESS:87.106.15.67

Params: /CLIENT:C:\PROGRA~1\EAGAME~1\EARTH&~1\release\client.exe

Params: /DEBUGL

Using IP: 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)

21/02/11 10:58:50 Attempting to connect to IP address: 87.106.15.67

21/02/11 10:58:50 Sending login.

21/02/11 10:58:51 login OK

21/02/11 11:00:05 MVAS thread running

21/02/11 11:01:00 Error, did not receive master handoff ...