Please Please Please

Rossdie

My suggestion is no more content updates until all these proxy opcode crashes and the lag is fixed please. Right now as is it's getting hard to impossible to do the raids when people keep opcoding out or lagging out of the game. This has been going on 3 or 4 patches ago and the more that gets added the worse it gets. I can say this is feeling more like live everyday and you guys are doing great work, but we can do without the full effect of live especially the time after they announced the shutdown when lag was so bad it wasnt worth playing anymore. I won't pretend to know how you Dev's go about testing the new content but I think it needs a bit more before being put on the play server. I would be more than happy to do so, in fact I have been on the PTR before it just wont work properly for me for some reason when I log on there.

• Upvote 1

My suggestion is no more content updates until all these proxy opcode crashes and the lag is fixed please. Right now as is it's getting hard to impossible to do the raids when people keep opcoding out or lagging out of the game. This has been going on 3 or 4 patches ago and the more that gets added the worse it gets. I can say this is feeling more like live everyday and you guys are doing great work, but we can do without the full effect of live especially the time after they announced the shutdown when lag was so bad it wasnt worth playing anymore. I won't pretend to know how you Dev's go about testing the new content but I think it needs a bit more before being put on the play server. I would be more than happy to do so, in fact I have been on the PTR before it just wont work properly for me for some reason when I log on there.

none of these problems were visible during testing (especially the lag), but we're overhauling the code to try to resolve the problem.

I ran some ping tests on the play server and several of my pings timed out, this and other instrumentation on the server are indicating that some of the opcode problems and lag could be coming from an external source, we are coding additional security measures to curtail this in case it is a factor.

Unfortunately we don't see lag problems until there are a lot of people on the play server. All we can do is guess what is taking a long time and try to re-code it. If we were to get each system working 100% correctly before moving on we'd have lost all our development staff a long time ago. It's always been 2 steps forward, one step back in this project.

Plus no-one wants to hop onto the PTR to stress test so basically we have to leave the play (stress test) server for that.

Lag wasn't an issue until the update, so let's hope it was something that was added that it causing the problems, that would be fairly easy to find.

I don't know about the proxy bad-opcode crashes, not seen any reports of those for some time. Are they still occurring or is that all fixed now?

• Upvote 1

The proxy opcodes have been a problem for a long while now and have been getting worse, now you can get them just standing in a station. The fishbowl was the worse place for them when they first started, now they are everywhere. Just got 5 different occasions of it doing the Mordana raid, granted I run three accounts so the 5 occasion were spread over the 3 accounts but it is very frustrating when it happens on a raid. I havent even attempted the FB because of it, already lost two Mordana spawns and dont feel like going part way through the bowl just to crash out. I would be happy to go on the PTR server if my chars from the player server can be copied over to it. I will test all day if u wanted me to. I bet I can get the other Builders Inc people to help also, all I have to do is speak with Magoo. Anything to get this game even better than when EA ran is what I am willing to do.

The coders will work on the lag problem, but we content devs will continue to work. It's probably the new features like delayed mob spawns (used for raids) and mob behavior that are causing the problems and these problems are with the code. I'm not saying it's the coders' fault because I know they tested their work and I have tested it some myself. Code does not always transfer over perfectly from dev to play server because they are on different scales. PTR will be used mostly for balancing large raids and may be used for the fishbowl in the future.

Anyway us content devs will continue working on things we know will not cause server problems while the coders sort out the lag/opcode problem. We will try to have a small update for you in January but it will probably be mostly bug fixes. No guarantees on the January update since we've only had a week to work and are busy with holiday things.

The coders will work on the lag problem, but we content devs will continue to work. It's probably the new features like delayed mob spawns (used for raids) and mob behavior that are causing the problems and these problems are with the code. I'm not saying it's the coders' fault because I know they tested their work and I have tested it some myself. Code does not always transfer over perfectly from dev to play server because they are on different scales. PTR will be used mostly for balancing large raids and may be used for the fishbowl in the future.

Anyway us content devs will continue working on things we know will not cause server problems while the coders sort out the lag/opcode problem. We will try to have a small update for you in January but it will probably be mostly bug fixes. No guarantees on the January update since we've only had a week to work and are busy with holiday things.

]

I know everyone is doing a great job, and I am sure they do test eveything, just a bit frustrated is all so dont think I don't appreciate what you guys do. I for one was very anxious to see this updat and it's great, I love the Mordana back in and that from what I have heard the FB raid similar to what it was in live, I like it.

ok my bad,

just spent a bit of time with the profiler and there were a couple of issues that would have had an impact, one of which was quite severe, which was caused by a series of unfortunate events. Something hadn't been working properly for quite a while, this was fixed in the last update which opened up a new source path that was very CPU intensive (involving STL's ::map container, a 'naughty-but-nice' time saver).

I've done another round of anti-lag and hopefully after the next restart things should be a little better.

I did a live code change which should alleviate the bulk of the problems, so things ought to be starting to get a bit better even before the restart.

Also thanks Jamosite, I didn't realise I had to get 10 ppl together for things to start crapping up. Do they need to be doing combat?

Something to consider Tien, if you guys have a big update on PTR - why not post on the forums/in-game that "hey on X day at X time we'd like to stress test the new content on the server so please jump over and help out"? I'd bet the turn-out for that would be a lot better. Just a thought that might help get people over there when you need the extra bodies.

Something to consider Tien, if you guys have a big update on PTR - why not post on the forums/in-game that "hey on X day at X time we'd like to stress test the new content on the server so please jump over and help out"? I'd bet the turn-out for that would be a lot better. Just a thought that might help get people over there when you need the extra bodies.

Yeah, but i would suggest to copy over ALL accounts from play to PTR not just requested ones.

That way all can at every time log on PTR and test things.

Nice side effect is, the PTR would have the same state as the play server + the update to test.

greets

Hexergirl

First let me say, You Devs are doing an awesome job! Even through enduring the lag and ctd's etc. I still think this content update is awesome! :lol:

I'm with the others above on the ptr thing... If you guys announced testing requests, most if not all folks would be happy to jump on there and help.

The last couple times I was on it, ptr was bugged badly in more ways than I can count, starting at char creation and going from there.

Get ptr fixed and give us a list of stuff to test, and I'm sure we can get er done. :)

thanks for the support guys!

I have changed my mind again ... I don't think it's completely to do with the server code, the object handling appears to be quite optimal now. It looks like the big lag problem is caused by the comms system, which I'm looking at now. There are quite a few tips and tricks kicking about on the internet that people have discovered over the years which ought to make things look better.

Also at the same time, I really need to get to the bottom of the bad opcode issues. With that in mind I will need to recruit some people for a 10-man siege of one of the raids on the play server. I seem to have broken the PTR for now as I did a big code update and now it won't start :P

I'll be online tomorrow to try to get to the bottom of why we're still getting these issues. I feel once the bad opcode and connection issues are fixed we'll have a much better setup.

thanks for the support guys!

I have changed my mind again ... I don't think it's completely to do with the server code, the object handling appears to be quite optimal now. It looks like the big lag problem is caused by the comms system, which I'm looking at now. There are quite a few tips and tricks kicking about on the internet that people have discovered over the years which ought to make things look better.

Also at the same time, I really need to get to the bottom of the bad opcode issues. With that in mind I will need to recruit some people for a 10-man siege of one of the raids on the play server. I seem to have broken the PTR for now as I did a big code update and now it won't start :(

I'll be online tomorrow to try to get to the bottom of why we're still getting these issues. I feel once the bad opcode and connection issues are fixed we'll have a much better setup.

You can count on my three accounts to help you test on the Raid, just name the time and Raid you want to test.