Need new certificate for play.net-7.org

Hi folks, figured I'd give the stress test a try. Currently attempting to run E&B on Linux using WINE, but here's the rub. The certificate for play.net-7.org has expired, and WINE borks up the connection because of it - unfortunately, doing an 'Install Certificate' from the launcher won't work, it gives me an error dialog saying that feature is not implemented. I figure it's WINE getting in the way :P

Anyone know how I can fix that? I.e. anyone have the certificate files for me or any of the developers have an idea on what to do here? I'd love to play E&B again but haven't a Windows machine for it, and my laptop is already screaming at the idea of having VMWare or VirtualBox running on it :)

Hi folks, figured I'd give the stress test a try. Currently attempting to run E&B on Linux using WINE, but here's the rub. The certificate for play.net-7.org has expired, and WINE borks up the connection because of it - unfortunately, doing an 'Install Certificate' from the launcher won't work, it gives me an error dialog saying that feature is not implemented. I figure it's WINE getting in the way :)

i too play from linux and opened similar thread https://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/381-playnet-7org-ssl-certificate/

try to turn back the clock ;-)

i too play from linux and opened similar thread https://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/381-playnet-7org-ssl-certificate/

try to turn back the clock ;-)

Wups! Missed that one. I'll try the clock thing but not really in favor of it :) A "proper" solution for us Linux users would be kinda cool. Maybe make the certificates part of the NET7 updates or something...

Still nothing, end up with INV-300 again. It's not my ISP either, if I telnet to port 443 on play.net-7.org I can connect just fine - I assume the login is TCP based and the game data is over UDP?

Firewall's cleared, but I am in a NAT setup so maybe that has an effect somehow. Not sure.

Still nothing, end up with INV-300 again.

if the system date is set back to aug/09 before cert expired and the files are in right place, then no idea whats happening.

(you can use strace to see what files ssl is accessing/missing)

i use wine from git btw, maybe thats how it works for me

if the system date is set back to aug/09 before cert expired and the files are in right place, then no idea whats happening.

(you can use strace to see what files ssl is accessing/missing)

i use wine from git btw, maybe thats how it works for me

update: this is strange.... copied EnB to other computer (ubunty/jaunty/32bit, wine 1.0.1) and it just works (LaunchNet7.exe does not work even with mono installed, but launching proxy directly works). no extra ssl files (strace shows them missing), no turning back time.

update: this is strange.... copied EnB to other computer (ubunty/jaunty/32bit, wine 1.0.1) and it just works (LaunchNet7.exe does not work even with mono installed, but launching proxy directly works). no extra ssl files (strace shows them missing), no turning back time.

Huh, weird. I followed the Wine install guide posted elsewhere on the forum, and no joy on logging in when the game starts. Getting INV-300 error all the time. Running WINE 1.2 on Ubuntu/Karmic/32bit, on a rather old laptop (shouldn't have issues running E&B though).

The thing is that I can't see why it's borking up, from what I've been reading so far it -should- work no problem, but it's getting frazzled somewhere.

Huh, weird. I followed the Wine install guide posted elsewhere on the forum, and no joy on logging in when the game starts. Getting INV-300 error all the time. Running WINE 1.2 on Ubuntu/Karmic/32bit, on a rather old laptop (shouldn't have issues running E&B though).

The thing is that I can't see why it's borking up, from what I've been reading so far it -should- work no problem, but it's getting frazzled somewhere.

I'm not sure if you already know this or not ... I have some news - you don't actually need the net7 play cert to get into the game :) Providing you don't use local-cert you're just using the certificate on the play server, which works.

Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best :)

Unless of course you're trying to get a local server to work under linux ... in which case - good luck with that. You shouldn't ever need to use the 'play' cert ever because that's tied to the play server, so if my understanding of certs is right, it won't work for you anyway. Use the 'local' cert and tweak whatever emulates your 'hosts' file on linux, to set the loopback.

I'm not sure if you already know this or not ... I have some news - you don't actually need the net7 play cert to get into the game :) Providing you don't use local-cert you're just using the certificate on the play server, which works.

Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best :)

Unless of course you're trying to get a local server to work under linux ... in which case - good luck with that. You shouldn't ever need to use the 'play' cert ever because that's tied to the play server, so if my understanding of certs is right, it won't work for you anyway. Use the 'local' cert and tweak whatever emulates your 'hosts' file on linux, to set the loopback.

the problem with the cert from play.net-7.org is, that its invalid. it expired in august last year. certificates need to be renewed after they expire or they wont be accepted anymore (that why for example your browser says the cert is invalid if you access https://play.net-7.org. of course it will work after you tell your browser to shut up and accept the cert anyway, but thats not how its supposed to work ;)

maybe linux is more restrictive than windows on this and refuses to work with an invalid certificate.

the problem with the cert from play.net-7.org is, that its invalid. it expired in august last year. certificates need to be renewed after they expire or they wont be accepted anymore (that why for example your browser says the cert is invalid if you access https://play.net-7.org. of course it will work after you tell your browser to shut up and accept the cert anyway, but thats not how its supposed to work :)

maybe linux is more restrictive than windows on this and refuses to work with an invalid certificate.

you don't need that cert :) unless you're trying to run a server. The play cert will be invalid on any PC other than the play server.

you don't need that cert :) unless you're trying to run a server. The play cert will be invalid on any PC other than the play server.

Point, the thing is that the NET7 Launcher does complete it's login, it starts the game client, and the game client basically keeps throwing me INV300, I registered an account, activated it, so I figured that couldn't be it. The only thing I can come up with at some point is this:

ERROR_INTERNET_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR

The application experienced an internal error loading the SSL libraries.

That's what WINE logs every time I hit the 'login' button in the game. Which is a bit weird given that the error in question (12157) is this:

ERROR_INTERNET_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR

The application experienced an internal error loading the SSL libraries.

Which if you ask me is a bit weird given that WINE should be emulating all of this, unless I'm missing something in my WINE install.

O...kay we're now entering the twilight zone. I did an strace run to see what was going on, and instead of 12057 this time I got 12037 - which is the "certificate expired" error. So I figured I'd set back my date to before the cert expired and lo and behold, I was able to log in. I was also able to create a character (yay), but when trying to enter the game it gets stuck on the loading screen and throws me back to the login screen with the following output on console:

Forgot to add: this is by running the net7proxy directly and not through the launcher.

01/04/09 00:00:13 Starting E&B...

01/04/09 00:00:17 Launch E&B successful

01/04/09 00:00:17 UDP packet optimisation selected (reduces server load).

fixme:d3d_caps:init_driver_info Unhandled vendor 8086.

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f580,0x00000000), stub!

fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.

Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.

fixme:d3d8:ValidateVertexShader (0x1a2f220 (nil) (nil) 1 0x33f3fc): stub

fixme:d3d8:ValidateVertexShader (0x1359610 (nil) (nil) 1 0x33f3f0): stub

fixme:d3d8:ValidateVertexShader (0x1359980 (nil) (nil) 1 0x33f3f0): stub

fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x143e38,0x18efe0): stub

fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBufferImpl_SetVolumePan (0x143e38,0x18ef68): stub

fixme:crypt:CRYPT_CriticalExtensionsSupported unsupported critical extension "2.5.29.32"

fixme:crypt:CRYPT_CriticalExtensionsSupported unsupported critical extension "2.5.29.32"

01/04/09 00:01:30 MVAS thread running

01/04/09 00:05:13 Received Master login confirm, new UDP port is 3637 Avatar_id = 1073827255

01/04/09 00:05:13 <server> Master Login received - UDP sector port: 3637

01/04/09 00:05:13 >> Commence Login check

01/04/09 00:05:13 Sending Login packet - connection active

01/04/09 00:05:23 Error in packet format for packet d

01/04/09 00:05:23 Bad opcode through to Proxy: 0x3f00 Length: 0x0

fixme:d3d8:IDirect3DDevice8Impl_ResourceManagerDiscardBytes Byte count ignored.

01/04/09 00:05:24 Bad opcode through to Proxy: 0x3f00 Length: 0x0

01/04/09 00:05:24 Bad opcode through to Proxy: 0x3f00 Length: 0x0

01/04/09 00:05:26 Bad opcode through to Proxy: 0x3f00 Length: 0x0

01/04/09 00:05:28 Bad opcode through to Proxy: 0x3f00 Length: 0x0

01/04/09 00:05:29 Bad opcode through to Proxy: 0x3f00 Length: 0x0

01/04/09 00:05:29 Bad opcode through to Proxy: 0x3f00 Length: 0x0

01/04/09 00:05:31 Bad opcode through to Proxy: 0x3f00 Length: 0x0

01/04/09 00:05:33 Bad opcode through to Proxy: 0x3f00 Length: 0x0

01/04/09 00:06:03 >> Login check: Login FAILED

01/04/09 00:06:03 login failed, go back to the login screen

01/04/09 00:06:03 TCP connection on port 3500 closed gracefully

01/04/09 00:06:04 TCP connection on port 3801 closed gracefully

01/04/09 00:06:31 Received Master login confirm, new UDP port is 3637 Avatar_id = 1073827255

01/04/09 00:06:31 <server> Master Login received - UDP sector port: 3637

01/04/09 00:06:31 >> Commence Login check

01/04/09 00:06:31 Sending Login packet - connection active

01/04/09 00:07:21 >> Login check: Login FAILED

01/04/09 00:07:21 login failed, go back to the login screen

01/04/09 00:07:21 TCP connection on port 3500 closed gracefully

01/04/09 00:07:22 TCP connection on port 3801 closed gracefully

01/04/09 00:07:30 Client has terminated. Sending termination signal.

point taken, that still doesnt change the fact, that this (obviously bought) certificate on the server is invalid/expired since 08.2009 and thus pretty much useless :)

as you can see its at least causing issues for the linux-guys. if it werent expired they wouldnt get errors regarding this.

a new and valid certificate would get rid of those issues.

point taken, that still doesnt change the fact, that this (obviously bought) certificate on the server is invalid/expired since 08.2009 and thus pretty much useless :)

as you can see its at least causing issues for the linux-guys. if it werent expired they wouldnt get errors regarding this.

a new and valid certificate would get rid of those issues.

Some of them :) I can turn back the date and it works, the 'back to login' screen thing got fixed more or less by turning off packet optimisation. Still happens from time to time, and I think there's also a few underlying issues with my laptop that are causing some glitches but those aren't things that are easily fixed (graphics bugs for instance, bugger my cheap laptop and it's teensyweensy crappy video card heheh).

I did manage to play for a bit, only thing I need to solve now on the Linux end is getting sound.

Some of them :) I can turn back the date and it works, the 'back to login' screen thing got fixed more or less by turning off packet optimisation. Still happens from time to time, and I think there's also a few underlying issues with my laptop that are causing some glitches but those aren't things that are easily fixed (graphics bugs for instance, bugger my cheap laptop and it's teensyweensy crappy video card heheh).

I did manage to play for a bit, only thing I need to solve now on the Linux end is getting sound.

reverting your time to make the cert valid isnt how its supposed to work though :)

reverting your time to make the cert valid isnt how its supposed to work though :P

True, but if it lets me play... :P

I really enjoyed E&B back in the day, I ended up playing EVE after E&B was shut down but it just never had the same feel. EVE's a nice game in its own right but E&B is so much more casual (and less of a day job) that I'm glad I can play it again -- I still remember how the whole thing works too :D

Anyhow, I've been digging around a bit, anything in particular that needs tested during this stress test?

• 2 weeks later...