Skill powerup timers

kemperor1

In live, wasn't there a ring around non-instant skills that went around in clockwise fashion so you could see when the skill would hit? Not having it isn't usually a problem but when I'm in a tight situation like high respawn Chavez I need to know if my psi shield is powering up or has hit or has been interrupted. If I'm right and it is supposed to be there, what would be involved in getting it back in the game?

Thanks,

Aiel

Don't remember such a thing. It might've been there, but my swiss cheese memory can't recall something like that. On the other hand, you do currently have a power-up animation, just not on your hotbar. AFAIK, mobs can't currently interrupt your skills, so until that gets implemented, you won't even trigger any UI for interrupted skills.

Even though I don't have proof, my best memory of there being timers on the buffs is double digits and in the top right or left hand corner of the buff's icon it would count down I do remember closely seeing this Back in live, when u used a power down skill, self destruct, or get gravity linked by ten-gu mob there was a count down in the icon window. Even the plague's bite active buff had a timer. Why bother when it seems we can handle a lot of missing features in the emulator. Without a picture they wont go near the idea. :) It's a nice thought though...

Edited: Ok i was close maybe we invented our own timing based on the number of buffs we used. here's 2 examples pictures from http://www.enbx.com/community.htm ;)

ScreenShot88-01.jpg

ScreenShot138-01.jpg

Edited by Orga2

ahhh, that would explain the numbers, they are a countdown until the buff ends yeah?

Once we've got the christmas update out the way I'll have a look to see if we can get those working. Along with hack, and some other skills that need looking at.

Hi

The numbers on the buff icons were not timers but the number of times the buff had been activated on your ship.

I have a vague memory (I could be wrong) that shortly before the buff would expire it flashed on and off.

Riia

In live, wasn't there a ring around non-instant skills that went around in clockwise fashion so you could see when the skill would hit? Not having it isn't usually a problem but when I'm in a tight situation like high respawn Chavez I need to know if my psi shield is powering up or has hit or has been interrupted. If I'm right and it is supposed to be there, what would be involved in getting it back in the game?

Thanks,

Aiel

The answer is YES! When activating a skill, by either pressing the HUD with a mouse click or hotkey, the outside solid green line ring, would start painting at the top, advance clockwise until completing the ring. It looked just like the same ring we have in game now to show weapons "activated on target" It would stay painted for a split second, showing that the skill had been completed before vanishing. This was very useful, showing if the mob had interrupted your skill (ring painting process disappears) or if you wish to cancel the skill to activate another, more needed skill. Also needed (as OP stated) to see EXACTLY when the skill is done so that you may start another one.

Missing and needed IMO. :rolleyes:

Yes! Perhaps my memory isn't as bad as I thought! :rolleyes: my question is whether or not the code for it's still around and just needs to be enabled / tweaked or if it would have to be redone (doesn't seem too bad but I'm just a novice Java guy so idk for sure) anyway glad someone else remembers it as I thought it was, thanks

Is that what the FB normally looked like in live? Like somebody spilled a bag of doritos everywhere?

Yes Gren that is what the FB looked like in live, the master was the last mob to show up, the FB is nothing like it was right now, you didn't have all the bosses swimming around the bowl like you see now, you had to kill in a certain order and you couldn't kill the destroyers, soul thief's and such or you would ruin the boss spawns.

Very needed for my menace, the activation animation is a bit of a guessing game atm. ;)

And yes, going by what I hear about the current FB versus the one in live, the live one was a slaughterhouse. You basically had to keep teams of TTs and JDs with summon ally on the very edges of the sector to make sure everyone didn't get crushed in the first wave. JEs and PSes ran around suicidally rezzing everyone that would drop before getting mowed down themselves, at which point they would self-js and start over again.

Great times! :)

Edited by Mighty Gamera

Very needed for my menace, the activation animation is a bit of a guessing game atm. ;)

And yes, going by what I hear about the current FB versus the one in live, the live one was a slaughterhouse. You basically had to keep teams of TTs and JDs with summon ally on the very edges of the sector to make sure everyone didn't get crushed in the first wave. JEs and PSes ran around suicidally rezzing everyone that would drop before getting mowed down themselves, at which point they would self-js and start over again.

Great times! :):D

The bad thing is we can't do it that way now. As much as i would like to bring it back as in live, we have not that much people on

to have always 3 or 4 full groups online.

greets

Hexergirl

The bad thing is we can't do it that way now. As much as i would like to bring it back as in live, we have not that much people on

greets

Hexergirl

Maybe when the game is ready to go Live, more people will play. They don't have to worry as much about the hiccups that go with the testing phase.

I do agree that the fishbowl (all major raids for that matter) should be difficult enough that you need a good mix of classes to beat it, otherwise it would just be mostly PWs, PTs, and TWs, for DPS, a few explorers for JS, and a few TTs.

In raids there should be a need for all the support classes, otherwise there won't be much for them to do at L150+.

Maybe when the game is ready to go Live, more people will play. They don't have to worry as much about the hiccups that go with the testing phase.

I do agree that the fishbowl (all major raids for that matter) should be difficult enough that you need a good mix of classes to beat it, otherwise it would just be mostly PWs, PTs, and TWs, for DPS, a few explorers for JS, and a few TTs.

In raids there should be a need for all the support classes, otherwise there won't be much for them to do at L150+.

Agreed, at the peak times, it seems there are at least 3 groups if not more in the bowl at a time right now, if we made it more raid style again and made it so that it would take possibly two groups including explorers for js and traders for shield recharge to take down the bowl, that would be more ideal. And for the people who like the bowl the way it is now, can we possibly make a portion of Cooper with the fishies that drop possibly just comps (not the big stuff like weapons, shields, engines, etc) but stuff that may require a single small group to survive, and leave the rarer stuff for inside the bowl.

Agreed, at the peak times, it seems there are at least 3 groups if not more in the bowl at a time right now, if we made it more raid style again and made it so that it would take possibly two groups including explorers for js and traders for shield recharge to take down the bowl, that would be more ideal. And for the people who like the bowl the way it is now, can we possibly make a portion of Cooper with the fishies that drop possibly just comps (not the big stuff like weapons, shields, engines, etc) but stuff that may require a single small group to survive, and leave the rarer stuff for inside the bowl.

Yeah I wasn't happy to see a pw show off his nova & shield sap skill at one of the nav's in cooper. Sense those ten-gu mobs outside the FB in live could zap the pws reactor or shield, but every mob had debuff's that was equal to the weakness of the player's class. There was a good reason why pw's didn't just nova and shield sap the life out of a group of ten-gu, they were even some what feared by maxed out pw's. It took 6 players to take "Desha" down not 1 player...those were the days. I pick on that mob because it obviously has the most rewarding rare item around that's not atm in the FB.

greets

Hexergirl

Actually if you had to find the items needed to open the gate, then you could have enough people together. It doesnt have to be exactly as brutal as in live, just power the mobs down a bit so 2-3 groups could do it.