My Miner's Christmas Wish List

Given that Merlin's tenure (while certainly fun while it lasted) has more or or less produced a shipwrecked legacy of former über-roidballs turned into the slimmest of pickings (to be rectified in the December content patch)... I'd like to suggest some guidelines and/or ideas for how to make a fair yet fun mining situation:

1. A happy medium: No roidballs, i.e. the condensed piles of multiple and overlapping L7-L9 roid fields in a 2km radius AND something more than a spread of 20 roids in a 50km distance.

As a basic guideline, I'd recommend a density of about at least 1 roid every 2.5km linear thrusting distance when using a line or circular spread, or about 2-5 roids per 8 cubic km when clustered.

Ideally, a miner should have to thrust between every other second roid:

[-]...[M]...(JE)...[M]...[X]...[X]...[Y]...[X]

This loose diagram could represent the ideal spacing, where our heroic (JE: insert PS or TS as the case may be) is parked on top of, and is mining a roid. Immediately adjacent to her are two targetable/mine-able roids [M]. Behind her are the many roids she's already mined; beyond her are the roids [X] out of her reach. The [Y] roid represents the next probable roid she will want to go to (assuming no guardian mob is waiting for a Jenquai lunchable nearby) to be able to reach all the roids nearest her without necessarily having to thrust again.

2. I support group mining: massive fields (not roidballs, but simply massive fields covering a wide radius that would take an individual miner several hours to clear alone, or perhaps an hour to clear with a team of PS, TS, and JEs and perhaps a TT or JT as an "ore cart"/shield buffer (all whom together could bring a respectable amount of DPS and support to bear on any pesky guardians).

Perhaps setting these up to overlap popular hunting areas (BBW and Antares come to mind) would allow for miners and warriors and traders to group for mutual benefit.

3. Less diversity of ores in any given field: Merlin was on to something with fields containing one type, and one range of levels, such as L7-L9 Hydrocarbon fields. Nearby (but not necessarily intermingled with the hydrocarbon field) might be a similar L7-L9 field of metal ores. Figure on using 12-16 slots for each type.

But having one field with all four types (hydrocarbon, radioactives, crystals and metal ores) can be brutal on miners, especially the cramped hulls of the PS who might also need to carry ammo (as she might not be as quick as the TS or as stealthy as the JE, thereby forced to fight her way out of a sticky situation).

4. Shorter Respawn timers for HULK fields. Yes, the cherry picking of hulk fields has been beaten to death. It is never going to go away. BUT things might be made a little less discouraging if we know that they are on similar respawn timers to normal roid fields. The rarity of things like prototypes and faction space suits can be easily adjusted down to under 5% drop rates to compensate and keep a healthy market for them.

5. Better CR$ (credits) and Trade xp for Hulk "Junk" loot. Pretty self explanatory - since the overwhelming majority of hulk loot is debris and wreckage salvage - getting a little more xp and CR$ for it, or perhaps some higher tier "junk" would be nice, and worth the disappointment of mining for several hours and coming up with only six half eaten Terran space suits.

6. Ore Guardians: Merlin scored points here as well - by not making the ubiquitous Manes the default guardian, it provided some variety and some hope for beam users (Terrell will be able to explain this at length, but it has everything to do with these beasts being immune to energy beams in Live, and a relative rarity of plasma beams). Hopefully this change will be kept for the better.

7. Level appropriate Guardians/Pop rock MOBs: With the possible exception of BBW/Paramis and Cooper/Antares/Deneb/Ardus... the typical roid field at L7-L9 should not exceed CL55 mobs, nor be weaker than CL45 (with finessing made for the presence of especially rare ammo comp ores, and whether or not the mobs exhibit pack/social aggro behaviour, etc...)

Mid-level and lower level fields should scale accordingly (L1-L3 fields with CL0-CL15, L4-L6 fields with CL20-CL40)

Just some thoughts for y'all DEV types.

Otherwise, happy holidays~!

• Upvote 2

I agree,looks good,only other thing I would ask is a proper density of ores that are "Mission" ores.The ones I'm talking about are the ores for the Cygni missions,Charons Dust/Platinum/Homerite to name just a few.When you have to gather 3600 Charons Dust and the best you can do is 10 from a clear field then you might as well just drop the mission.

I'll have to agree with Seeker as well on his wish list.

To further elaborate on hulks and Junk loot. All loot on hulks should be within 1 level, plus or minus, of the level of the hulk. This means that on a L8 hulk ALL items that can drop from it must be level 7, Level 8, or Level 9, nothing else. Debris & Wreckage slag should only be on hulks in the L1-L3 range since those are L1 and L2 items respectively. As a miner once we move on to higher level mining, it's really not worth our time to pull wreckage slag or debris from hulks, unless it's needed for a specific reason. It would be better that the lower ranking explorers of all stripes, mine that, and if it's useful (like in Bogeril items) sell it to builders. They would get money for better gear, and trade XP for doing so. Ores partiuclarly refined ones should occasionaly appear on level apropriate hulks.

Since much, if not most mining is done solo, orefield guardians, in most orefields should be of such that they can be handled by explorers. If you want explorers to have to bring warrior protection, then don't use Manes, they don't drop anything worth a warriors time & ammo. Progen Sentinels are the only class that had any use for Manes Essence, other classes just vendored it, and since it is relatively low level, there's little cash for doing so, and often no Trade XP. If you want us to group with Warriors, partiuclarily at high level, then the orefields need to have rare ores in them, or hulks with items more valuable than most, and the guardians need to have something worthwhile for Warriors to be willing to farm them. Otherwise it just doesn't work.

A nice christmas present for the Jenquai would be a (6 or 10 sec) L9 Plasma beam, with a Scan and Reactor recharge buff. One that does more DPS than the Pitt Sr, but less than the Defender's Pride. Not unique, no damage enhancers (meaning no turbo, or beam focus type buffs), whose parts can be built by a TT, JT, or PT.

The issue with roids being left with junk loot , I think I may have an idea.

Those items are locked in high lvl roids , why not make them worth 500 trade XP (something worthwhile), so that people who can mined this lvl can get something out of it.

Just a thought

Alk

I would like to suggest that field clearing bonus be taken into consideration as well. This may have been covered earlier but I'd like a solo miner of an apporpriate level actually be able to get the clearing bonus without having to have every mod available to do so. I've been frustrated in fields so vast and with even a 30 minute respawn timer you are unable to clear the field before it starts to respawn.

Personally, Hulks are over emphasized, there should be no more than a couple at most in any given field. Additionally aside from prospecting issues I think further consideration needs to be given to players that by nesessity end up playing solo a great deal. I realise that MMO's were designed for players to band together but there are quite a few of us that are casual players that would like to have access to some of the juicier drops items and currently that just isn't possible. I'm not asking for the NPC's to be nerfed to the ability level of a starting JE but some method of scaling would be appreciated.

In any event I would simply like to say regardless to the fix applied I am once again just grateful to be bale to play this game again.

Just my two credits worth.

Seeker,

1) Agreed the overlapping roids are not cool. But I would not like to see all ore fields based on your formula. Because that would make the roid fields a bit too similar. Some fields like in Xipe totec were spread over maybe 30-40k and had roids that were 5k apart. In glenn they were about 2k or less apart and within thrusting distance. The variety is welcome because mining is pretty braindead and every little can help to make it a bit more interesting.

2) Group mining how you want it, where warriors help the miners, has always been quite a failure. Mainly because the warrior flies about a lot of the time doing nothing. Also, if the miners team up to kill guardians then they don't need the warrior. Unless ofcourse the miners are low level and the guardians are not - but that is a rare exception.

A well constructed field would be needed in order for the warrior to not weigh down the miners levelling.

3) I would not generalize on that. Fields with less diversity could be used for levelling. But don't make all fields like that. Those with a much wider range of ores could be used to mine for cash ie. contain more valuable ores.

This way rare ores will stay rare, cherry pickers will not feel repressed, and mining is a bit more varied.

To further elaborate on hulks and Junk loot. All loot on hulks should be within 1 level, plus or minus, of the level of the hulk. This means that on a L8 hulk ALL items that can drop from it must be level 7, Level 8, or Level 9, nothing else. Debris & Wreckage slag should only be on hulks in the L1-L3 range since those are L1 and L2 items respectively.

Realistically, if the hulk is L8, there should only be L7 and L8 items on it. If there's an L9 item on the hulk it should be an L9 hulk, with ONLY L8 and L9 items.

Realistically, if the hulk is L8, there should only be L7 and L8 items on it. If there's an L9 item on the hulk it should be an L9 hulk, with ONLY L8 and L9 items.

Works for me in a hulk with 2 or fewer items. If there are 3 it would be possible for a L8 to have 1 of each level, but I'd expect in multiple item hulks (more than 2) there would be mostly junk items, or a weapon, ammo, and junk.

Yep, all by christmas would definitely be a bit rough. Perhaps if were all employed and worked full time on the project maybe, but it doesn't quite work that way. :rolleyes:

Christmas of 2011 would be nice. :) We don't mind waiting.

Best way to make miners needed is stop getting ores from ripping comps. Its way to easy to get alot of ores just buy some comps and rip tada.

And make hulks a little more random with items, why cant you get a Zet or lvl 8 model Z shield from a hulk. Should be able to get about or really any item from a hulk.

Best way to make miners needed is stop getting ores from ripping comps. Its way to easy to get alot of ores just buy some comps and rip tada.

IMO this is more the result of the (currently) skewed economy. If credits were an actual concern then folks would look to buy ores from miners first instead of just ripping them from comps.

Content can be added at any time which you guys have just proven by ripping the behind out of the jennie miner. I hope powerdown for the ps sports the same feature. Powerdown for the ps provides the same function as cloak for the jennie. And if you are going to rip the Jennie miner apart, where the Hell is the CC skill? The Lord taketh away, perhaps he should complete the race/profession before that taking.

So – total aggro for all races, rip apart powerdown, and find the skill to add contemplation. Huge order, I know. But I know you can do anything you set your mind to. You just make the choices you wish to make.

Toreava,

You're right, and we don't respond well to hostility. With that in mind, you lost me after the first sentence or two since this is only the second time I've seen you blast a change to cloak that was done in the INTERIM to stop a very obvious cheat that allowed Jenquai to avoid damage entirely with the right timing. In the long view I can think of three or four such posts like that, of course not all about cloak, and even one where you threatened to quit.

This is the only time I'm going to respond to your opinion regarding cloak, stop posting it on every mining thread you come across. Unless you've got some genuine assistance or information to offer in terms of good ideas that don't hurt the game too, then keep it to yourself, your hostility doesn't help us and it doesn't help anyone else. As a collective whole, I doubt anyone cares about how it makes you feel since they are forced to read it to look at other ideas.

If you continue to blast us or our decisions when you don't know the whole story first, and/or don't offer an alternative aside from 'this sucks kthxbye', I'll moderate your posts so they require review before they're allowed because I don't think anyone cares to see the blatant hostility you seem to show every time something doesn't go your way.

In regards to CC, there's nothing to find to make it work, just code to write. You're welcome to contribute it, if you like, aside from that it's low priority and will be handled before we "go live" with this game.

• Upvote 1

Toreava,

You're right, and we don't respond well to hostility. With that in mind, you lost me after the first sentence or two since this is only the second time I've seen you blast a change to cloak that was done in the INTERIM to stop a very obvious cheat that allowed Jenquai to avoid damage entirely with the right timing. In the long view I can think of three or four such posts like that, of course not all about cloak, and even one where you threatened to quit.

This is the only time I'm going to respond to your opinion regarding cloak, stop posting it on every mining thread you come across. Unless you've got some genuine assistance or information to offer in terms of good ideas that don't hurt the game too, then keep it to yourself, your hostility doesn't help us and it doesn't help anyone else. As a collective whole, I doubt anyone cares about how it makes you feel since they are forced to read it to look at other ideas.

If you continue to blast us or our decisions when you don't know the whole story first, and/or don't offer an alternative aside from 'this sucks kthxbye', I'll moderate your posts so they require review before they're allowed because I don't think anyone cares to see the blatant hostility you seem to show every time something doesn't go your way.

In regards to CC, there's nothing to find to make it work, just code to write. You're welcome to contribute it, if you like, aside from that it's low priority and will be handled before we "go live" with this game.

okay - you are right about the hostility. Just takes me a while to boil over. I love to mine, and from what I have seen,most changes are made to the je regarding combat. I don't do combat. I do understand that the programming does not allow compartmentalization in terms of functions applied for a given purpose. Bummer and not your fault. I know you guys are trying to balance gameplay, but I also see that most changes are made for combat purposes. I guess I'm still seething a little over my alts getting in the way. ykwim.

If you think I'm bad here, you should know me in rl.

oh well...