Player Made Station Advertisements

Reyla

If technically possible to put into a patch, this idea is to vote on the forums to put into the station advertisement rotation our own player written and voiced station advertisements along the lines of the Getco, Tada-o and Shakti advertisements. They could be for other in-game points of interest / attractions that haven't seen any advertisements. Or if players would approve, some of the other vendors own advertisements.

who will police the content of the ads? again if we start using language filters its gonna be taxing the server unnecessarily arent we? just my 1 cent worth ;)

Me! Or someone else... anyone really. If I'm understanding the OP correctly, he means we could have people submit their advertisements, and the community could vote on which ones they like best, or something along those lines. The adverts could then be patched in with content.

Me! Or someone else... anyone really. If I'm understanding the OP correctly, he means we could have people submit their advertisements, and the community could vote on which ones they like best, or something along those lines. The adverts could then be patched in with content.

i dont think he meant that CDel...i think he is stressing more on....builders advertising their products et al. isnt that right mr./ms. reyla?

i could be wrong and IF i am wrong i am definitely gonna be glad to tune into those player made ads in stations myself regularly....

101.4 - ENB ROCKS

UmaXX

i dont think he meant that CDel...i think he is stressing more on....builders advertising their products et al. isnt that right mr./ms. reyla?

i could be wrong and IF i am wrong i am definitely gonna be glad to tune into those player made ads in stations myself regularly....

101.4 - ENB ROCKS

UmaXX

I got the same impression as C Del. I don't think Reyla is suggesting Vaden, Magoo, and other builders have their own station ads. :P

Would be nice if we could also give the class leaders more voiced dialogue, but since getting the orignial actors to do new voiceovers isn't going to happen, is it possible to make passable imitations?

Maybe CDel could audition some of the community to be voice actors. If we find some good voice talent, maybe we could recast the whole thing and have the new cast re-read all of the old content and then read the new content to keep it consistent (if it applies). Probably a lot to ask for CDel and anybody who would get the part, but it would be nice to see some of these NPC's who have never had a voice before be heard.

Maybe CDel could audition some of the community to be voice actors. If we find some good voice talent, maybe we could recast the whole thing and have the new cast re-read all of the old content and then read the new content to keep it consistent (if it applies). Probably a lot to ask for CDel and anybody who would get the part, but it would be nice to see some of these NPC's who have never had a voice before be heard.

Good point, I never really liked Vinda or Ariad's voices, but Merjan Kathrada and Lady DeWinter's voices are nice. Really didn't like Ariad's, especially since it didn't fit the best looking Jenquai NPC (in my opinion) in the game, and the best looking class leader (JT, but she replaced Merjan in Live with the patch title Merjan Missing).

Was always curious to hear Science Officer Sharik (who in Live was a Terran woman) and Gloria Whitley's voices (In Live she was a grey-haired Jenquai woman who came accross as desperate). Whitley was jealous of Sharik in Live, because Sharik "got all the guys". Wish I had a screenie from Mercury station in Live.

In live they had a contest for players submissions for adverts...not voice or audio ones..but the ones you see on terminal screens and on station walls etc. That one with the kitten was one of the winner/runner ups as well as the possesion is 9/10ths for infini corp etc.

What Reyla was kicking around (and others) in player chat was to have a contest for AUDIO content along the same lines..instead of the same loop of tada-o,shakti etc. have some new or other game aspect/corp highlighted with audio station enviroment. Say audio at least for sundari,getco,sparta etc. or some adverts for comp companies like "evolving your building needs...EVOLVER." sort of that thing. Or say other points of interest than shakti...like say..."Risco planet..ancient ain't so ancient any more! this message sponsored by Getco tourism board".

Got to tell you hearing the same 3 ads loop over and over while building for other players sort of drives me batty..bet it does others too! :) having something rotate in new now and then would be cool..especially with some of the fan bases nutty humor it would be refreshing to say the least.

+1

P.S. if this takes off..don't link it to a must use of Team Speak!...let it be audio files from fan base submissions or something...many of us (me included) don't use TS for a meriad of reasons...thats one of the reasons several of us didn't stand forth for the Player Advocate nominations...we couldn't meet the TS requirments for the office.

Yep, that's it exactly.

Excellent thought! That's kinda where I wanted to go with my original post. We could have community wide contest to write the scripts and at the same time audition for people to voice the entries that the community/devs/winners decided to include in the stations. Of course if you're talented enough to both write and speak the parts we probably won't hold it against you if you win in both categories - well other than Magoo ;):) .

Edited by Reyla

In live they had a contest for players submissions for adverts...not voice or audio ones..but the ones you see on terminal screens and on station walls etc. That one with the kitten was one of the winner/runner ups as well as the possesion is 9/10ths for infini corp etc.

Actually, that's exactly where I got the idea from! Back in Llve, they also had player written and mod approved news article to post for Net-7 news, and I remember being able to actually view articles written "in character" by players for players in the game at the news stations- the really interesting thing was - the articles they published actually drove a small part of what content they released in the patches afterward as the community learned more about the aliens and so forth. I'm glad you mentioned it.

I can do a passable "West Country" accent, although in outer space there's probably not much call for that.

If you don't know what the "West Country" is, see these youtubes:

That pretty much sums it up really ... I suspect most people not growing up in the UK in the 70's "missed out" on the Wurzels.

I can do a passable "West Country" accent, although in outer space there's probably not much call for that.

That pretty much sums it up really ... I suspect most people not growing up in the UK in the 70's "missed out" on the Wurzels.

Wowee... This makes me less ashamed of the US for making Justin Beiber famous (/facepalm). :P

The main obstacle we face with doing audio ads, additional dialogue, etc. is the inherent limitations of our project. Most people don't have the setup necessary to create good-sounding audio clips. As for me, I have audio equipment, but I don't think I'm much of a voice actor. I suppose we can always just work with what we have, but I don't think we necessarily want garbled webcam audio echoing through stations. ;)

That said, if anyone out there wants to take a crack at a station ad or something, I'd be happy to help and/or at least see what the community can come up with. Some player-original content would add some nice community coziness to the game. :)

Actually, that's exactly where I got the idea from! Back in Llve, they also had player written and mod approved news article to post for Net-7 news, and I remember being able to actually view articles written "in character" by players for players in the game at the news stations- the really interesting thing was - the articles they published actually drove a small part of what content they released in the patches afterward as the community learned more about the aliens and so forth. I'm glad you mentioned it.

Yeah I remember doing the mission chain for Net-7 reporter status. Was pretty cool being able to post news articles and such.

Two things I'll note, it seems to me when I hear people from teh UK or AU sing, they always seem to sound more like us here in the US... and the other, I could prolly see some use for that kind of voice for Bogerils :)

Two things I'll note, it seems to me when I hear people from teh UK or AU sing, they always seem to sound more like us here in the US... and the other, I could prolly see some use for that kind of voice for Bogerils :)

Funny thing about that is that, in any kind of singing ensemble, you're trained to sound more like a Brit. Maybe we're not so different after all! :)

You're right about that accent. It would great for Bogeril. Is anyone out there Scottish or able to do a good Scottish accent? I have an idea for a Terran engineer... :)

• 3 weeks later...

When the word Terran comes about, I can almost hear an American car salesman from New Jersey, hopped up on cocaine, trying to sell me a watch in a Greyhound bus station bathroom.

Brittney Spears just smacks of Bogeril-ness also.

At first, I wasn`t too keen on the idea of new voice work but I think it`d be a great thing.

Anything that can aid and assist immersion for role play is always good.

<<< can do numerous male voices and accents.

I can do Apu from The Simpsons....King Julian from Madagascar....and list i will confirm soon :)

darn...trying to perfect my voice and i am getting the heebiedabajeebies

Edited by Indianajones