CTD after usernam/pw entered

Running on Win Vista, and have followed the FAQ guidance.. have set the client.exe to compatibility mode (win xp sp2) and run as admin, run the e&bconfig.exe as admin, set to 1024x768, ran performance test, accepted. Still crashing. Tried reset the update. Still crashing. Tried uninstall completely and reinstalling, still crashing.

The game starts, get the opening intro, then get the login screen. I enter in my un/pw. After that E&B just goes away.. the dos box is still there, and the game isn't minimized.

Is there anything I may have missed? Or any help would be welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help!

yep, I was plagued with this one for about 3 months.

The unlikely solution is to run a full checkdisk, and restart the computer.

Yes I was skeptical too when I read about this fix, but along with all the other victims of this one and the clever fella who suggested it here in the first place we all swear by it.

Give it a try ...

yep, I was plagued with this one for about 3 months.

The unlikely solution is to run a full checkdisk, and restart the computer.

Yes I was skeptical too when I read about this fix, but along with all the other victims of this one and the clever fella who suggested it here in the first place we all swear by it.

Give it a try ...

this thing happens to me everyday mate....but i tire down the server by repeatedly trying until it gives up and lets me in...lol...read my other post in "need help for launching game" in general discussions...maybe you are running the game while something is updating in the bground? check out the task manager often....i run vista too and i am having trouble as listed in those threads...if your running some P2P or some file sharing software...nows the time to give it a permanent X and close it completely and then retry your game....good luck getting ingame....

my .5 cents worth!!

UmaXX

@tienbau - why not see if there is a port conflict with other generally available softwares?

Edited by Indianajones

I am having the exact same problem. Launch the game, put in my username/pw hit enter and it freezes for a second than crash to desktop. The command prompt window stays open for another minute to two until it says MVAS thread running and then closes. It usually works after 1-2 retrys but I have tried a dozen times so far today no luck. I even tried waiting until it sayd MVAS thread running before I logged in, no luck.

I typically have alot going on in the background, plenty of IE, FF windows, a remote desktop session, trillian, antivirus (nod32), utorrent, rightmark CPU clock utility, CPUGenie, skype, feed reader, PDANet, hotspot shield, active sync, free download manager, depositfiles download manager.

These are programs I always have running even when EnB works.

Windows 7 Pro x64

Catalyst 10.8 (Radeon Mobility 4570)

4GB of RAM, with all my applications ~2.6GB

Maybe we can figure out some common theme as to what we are running that causes it.

As per a previous suggestion to run checkdesk, I decided to give that a shot, and there is nothing wrong with my disk.

Intersting I closed deposit files download manager and I got in, random chance possibly? I will keep you posted... Weird, after i logged in selected my character I CTDed, second time around I got in..

Edited by Genestarwnd

Hello, I am getting the exact same issue.

I have vista 64 bit running. I have closed all background applications besides the firewall. I have made sure to add the Net 7 program to the exceptions list. and I have been trying for a while. I do notice when I check the local cclient button it tells me that the tcp port has reset after the avatar loads.

I don't ever see the avatar, it crashes before that. but the little dos screen says it resets? Is that the prob, idk

Edited by Hrarthgar

YAY.. I found out what works for me. Just enabling the debug mode works great.

Still having a prob figuring out how to run all the other accounts I have... It seams that the comp I have might not like it. trying again this morn.

It seems to run in the back ground and I can switch to the other account, but when I alt-tab to it I have no control of it. I can see that when I hover over the task bar at the bottom I can see the rendered preview but can't get it to come back up... trying it in a non windowed mode today.

Oh, I am Hrarthgar =) since you can only have 3 accounts per name I made another =)

Edited by Collisto

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing flawlessly for the last month or two. Yesterday, I did a big computer wide driver up date; everything works great... except EnB. I am now having the same problem.

I have run the EnB config again. All good.

I have tried Packet Optimization off/on.

Tried the Prototype Reorder.

Tried the Debug Launch.

And various combinations.

I completed a Check Disk last night but no go.

Any further ideas I ought to try?

I have been playing flawlessly for the last month or two. Yesterday, I did a big computer wide driver up date; everything works great... except EnB. I am now having the same problem.

I have run the EnB config again. All good.

I have tried Packet Optimization off/on.

Tried the Prototype Reorder.

Tried the Debug Launch.

And various combinations.

I completed a Check Disk last night but no go.

Any further ideas I ought to try?

I assume you updated your graphics drivers? What kind of graphics card do you have?

Nvidia GeForce GTX260M

Yup. I upgraded the drivers.

Have you made sure client.exe is running in compatibility mode? (assuming you're running Windows Vista or 7)

Go into nVidia's control panel; you should be able to get to it through the right-click menu of the desktop. It's been a while since I've used an nVidia control panel, so I'm not sure on the particulars, but check to see if any graphics settings are being forced on. Make sure applications can set resolutions, anti-aliasing (AA), and anisotropic filtering (AF) themselves.

It's the EnB client. Go to where you have EnB installed (Should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Earth & Beyond\"), go into the "release" folder, right-click on "client.exe", go to "Properties", click on the "Compatiblity" tab, select "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", select "Windows XP" from the drop-down box, and click "OK".

• 3 weeks later...

That was perfect. Thanks for all the help. I hope this thread continues to help others with the same issue.

I tried all this to no avail. if I uninstall and reinstall it works once then if I ctd or shut down it does not work I really liked this game live and want so much to play it now. any other suggestions?

I tried all this to no avail. if I uninstall and reinstall it works once then if I ctd or shut down it does not work I really liked this game live and want so much to play it now. any other suggestions?

In the launcher, before starting the game, go into the "Launcher" menu in the upper left-hand corner and click "Reset Updates", then click "OK" on the dialog box that comes up. I have a feeling you may need to do this every time you want to run the game, which is regrettable, but it's a lot better than reinstalling each time.

In the launcher, before starting the game, go into the "Launcher" menu in the upper left-hand corner and click "Reset Updates", then click "OK" on the dialog box that comes up. I have a feeling you may need to do this every time you want to run the game, which is regrettable, but it's a lot better than reinstalling each time.

well this did not work I still ctd the second I press accept after password I too am running windows vista with 64 bit on a laptop. I have run chkdisk tried turning off several programs like virus checkers and changed my firewall. I have added exceptions to firewall. I tried just deleting net7 launcher and reinstalling it. I downloaded a program to turn uac off. Everytime I ctd at the same spot. I guess I should have insisted on xp on this laptop. anything I can do to help with this? Is there a way of tracking what is happening? I would be glad to help with this in any way possible to make the game more enjoyable for all.

Thanks Timboron

well this did not work I still ctd the second I press accept after password I too am running windows vista with 64 bit on a laptop. I have run chkdisk tried turning off several programs like virus checkers and changed my firewall. I have added exceptions to firewall. I tried just deleting net7 launcher and reinstalling it. I downloaded a program to turn uac off. Everytime I ctd at the same spot. I guess I should have insisted on xp on this laptop. anything I can do to help with this? Is there a way of tracking what is happening? I would be glad to help with this in any way possible to make the game more enjoyable for all.

Thanks Timboron

Sorry you're having such trouble. Sometimes is does help to change the compatiblity mode on "client.exe" to another version of Windows, like "Windows 2000". Just do the same thing you did before to set compatiblity mode for Windows XP, but select Windows 2000 from the drop-down list. I really wish I could help you further, but there are things we just don't know about the Earth & Beyond client, programmed way back in 2001/2002, like why it hates more recent versions of Windows at times. Another thought arises; have you run the E&BConfig tool? If so, try setting the game to run in Windowed mode.

I had the same problem on my laptop, a Vaio with XP installed. We tried everything and it still wouldn't work. I eventually rebuilt the PC from the manufacture's backup. Everything worked fine after all the relevent updates were installed. Tere were about 5 files in the system32 directory that had different file sizes but the same version numbers (I kept a hard copy directory listing at the time) so I have always wondered if these were the cause. Wish I'd kept the data so I could have posted but had a clear out couple of months ago and shredded 5 dustbin fulls:(

Rolo

Sorry you're having such trouble. Sometimes is does help to change the compatiblity mode on "client.exe" to another version of Windows, like "Windows 2000". Just do the same thing you did before to set compatiblity mode for Windows XP, but select Windows 2000 from the drop-down list. I really wish I could help you further, but there are things we just don't know about the Earth & Beyond client, programmed way back in 2001/2002, like why it hates more recent versions of Windows at times. Another thought arises; have you run the E&BConfig tool? If so, try setting the game to run in Windowed mode.

I got around the whole ctd thing by installing an xp partition on my pc.At first it did not run but after the fourth or fifth update it worked and now I can play for hours and no ctd. It was both a challenge and a learning experience. It led me to believe that some of the problems with running it on vista and windows 7 may be a .net problem when I have some time I will investigate this further and post my findings. Timboron

I got around the whole ctd thing by installing an xp partition on my pc.At first it did not run but after the fourth or fifth update it worked and now I can play for hours and no ctd. It was both a challenge and a learning experience. It led me to believe that some of the problems with running it on vista and windows 7 may be a .net problem when I have some time I will investigate this further and post my findings. Timboron

It's a problem with video hardware and driver compatibility between EnB, which was written in the DirectX 8 days, and the more modern video cards and their drivers and operating systems, which are not necessarily tested for compatibility with programs this old. .NET isn't the problem; we can be sure of this because the role the .NET framework plays in our software is entirely complete well before the client even starts up.

gote problems to my computer its windows 7 it dint work when i gote the game on my c disc so i instalt e&b i gote the map EA games frome my c disc (program fils x86) end put it on my E disc then done the update pute n7 on it en update it end it works fine now

greatings fern

I have a similar problem.

When i start up the net 7 client, i get to the log on screen as normal, i enter my password, the hand glows up, and it crashes to desktop with the dos box still open.

Net7Proxy version 1.99

Using IP: 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)

30/01/11 01:09:26 Attempting to connect to IP address: 87.106.15.67

30/01/11 01:09:26 Sending login.

30/01/11 01:09:27 login OK

Is what it says.

Now before this i had installed the game today, went through the process of getting it all running, and i have been playing several hours without a problem. happiley enjoying my JE after a 6 year break. Then i tried to run it in windowed mode, and the problems started. I have tried everything, including setting Ebconfig, net7 and E&Bclient to winxp SP2 compatibility, and running everything in admin mode. I Eventually went back to standard 1900x1200 non windowed mode, kept XP-SP2 settings, and it keeps crashing the moment i hit enter after entering my password.

I run Win7 64 with 4 gigs of ram, and a ati-radeon 4800HD. The problems started after adjusting it to windowed mode, but setting it back the way it was makes no change. Restarting the computer doesnt change anything either. I only have standard programs like IE7 and gmail notifier running in the background.

Edit 1: A new day, a new try, i uninstalled everything, reinstalled the demo, patched it, reinstalled net7 launcher, updated it. Ran the net7 config tool, selected windowed mode, 1024x768, tested performance and this caused the configuration tool to stop working. So i ran it again, didnt test performance. Ran the game, i managed to get to the character screen, saw the loading screen briefly, and again it crashed to desktop. So i tried it again, now it crashes right after entering the password, like it did yesterday.

Its almost as if i shouldnt change anything in the graphics settings, and stick with non windowed mode 640x480 and not even coming close to either configuration tool, after i ran a fresh install. Surely this shouldnt be the case?

Edited by Marijnroorda