Old EnB or New EnB?

134 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Give-aways continue when the game goes 'live'?

• YES! The new E&B is Warm and Cozy!
    • NO! I want to be the Only one to reach the Top!
    • I'm just happy to be playing again

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]The world of EnB according to Mimir;[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]The community is incredibly helpful, LOL ask a question in any of the chats and you will get a plethora of answers. All the same across multiple channels this is GREAT news for the new as well as casual player. I don’t see this changing after we go live. The difference from here than that in live was that everyone (or most) live by the old saying that “There is no such thing as a stupid question.” In live I really didn’t see much difference.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Developers and GMs are approachable by anyone in here; in live it was mostly unheard of to request/demand changes. There was whining on the forums but for the most part the access to the development team was nonexistent.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]There are some glaring differences in the way mobs behave and how ore fields are laid out, but these I think will get better over time. (Proof is in the new pop rock rework).[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]Then as now we are getting character nurfs and reworks , this is to be expected (you as I don’t have to like it).[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]A major recent difference is the ability of players to submit not only suggestions but art work and actually see them implemented into the game.[/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"]We are not all C++ or C# programmers but recent developments by the “powers that be” are definitely open to requests and changes. This is something you most likely will not see anywhere else in the gaming community.[/size][/font]

Two thumbs up! Five gold stars!!! And a ton –o-smiley faces for EnB now over EnB then.
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Actually, I rather like the tamer EnB on the emulator. The players get along (usually), people help each other freely, and we all try to make each others playing experience enjoyable. In a sense, essentially we all belong to the same guild of EnB. I really don't think that culture will change.

Competition for high end gear, or prizes awarded by the devs may make things a bit more interesting, but I don't believe that it will engender a fundamental change in the player's actions towards one another.

Live was fast paced, expensive (regarding purchases made in game of player crafted items or rare loot) and sometimes unpleasant with obnoxious players, kill stealing, and others who tried to game the system. But for all of that it was still fun, if a bit more tense. Frankly, I am just grateful to be playing EnB again and more especially so given the gaming culture that predominates on the emulator.

• 2 weeks later...
The so called 'peacefulness' is an illusion based on the state of the game. If/When the project goes live there will be the same group effort and competition that there was in live. The positive in this is that those fighting for the rare/top items/recipes eventually filter down to the normal players. Will there be people camping to get raid items, rare drops, etc? Without a doubt. But there will also be a large number of players willing to help people out just as there are now.....and was in live.

imo...
i like the friendly coooperation between all players ,know and unknown.
i've seen some asshats and ks'ers but mostly its all cool. i never played "live" and i can imagine it being alot harder to do things with 5000 others doing it too.
i think there is not much conflict between races because we all play all the races.i cant see dogging a jen on my pw , then logging in my own jen.
i have built for, or passed creds/loot to a total stranger, as well as had items passed to me.
i would not like it if say , we had a pvp sector,containing the last comp for Blattu's oracle of knowledge, and you got killed everytime you enter the sector by an opposing " big guild"
im just happy to play with all you masters

B

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Crichton' timestamp='1319150767' post='47502']The so called 'peacefulness' is an illusion based on the state of the game. If/When the project goes live there will be the same group effort and competition that there was in live. The positive in this is that those fighting for the rare/top items/recipes eventually filter down to the normal players. Will there be people camping to get raid items, rare drops, etc? Without a doubt. But there will also be a large number of players willing to help people out just as there are now.....and was in live.[/quote]
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Crichton. A big part of the way EnB was is due to the the nature of the people that joined initially and set the 'tone' for the community. That tone was hyper-competitive and prone to people scratching and clawing their way to the top, regardless of who they have to climb over to do it.

When Sunset happened, we all had a nice big break from the game, which let us reflect on our own behavior and the behavior of others. And it seems the bulk of us decided, "God, we were [i]jerks[/i] back then!" and decided that, when the E&B Emu project went public, that this would [i]not[/i] be the case.

Right now, the couple hundred or so players that exist are the core of the new community. We will be setting the tone and attitude that the community will possess for as long as we don't endure another Sunset-like 'reset'. Sure, things WILL change as populations rise and competition for resources and levelling opportunities becomes more heated. However, we've established a foundation of cooperation and comeraderie here that can and will survive the population boom, [i]if we make sure to nurture it.[/i]

If make sure new folks realize that being a heartless, amoral, inconsiderate jerk isn't welcome around here, and encourage proper etiquette and gratitude whenever we can, I see E&B's community being one of the most mature and uplifting of any game I've ever been a part of. It's already well on its way now.

[quote name='Noxmire' timestamp='1323217360' post='49283']
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Crichton. A big part of the way EnB was is due to the the nature of the people that joined initially and set the 'tone' for the community. That tone was hyper-competitive and prone to people scratching and clawing their way to the top, regardless of who they have to climb over to do it.

When Sunset happened, we all had a nice big break from the game, which let us reflect on our own behavior and the behavior of others. And it seems the bulk of us decided, "God, we were [i]jerks[/i] back then!" and decided that, when the E&B Emu project went public, that this would [i]not[/i] be the case.

Right now, the couple hundred or so players that exist are the core of the new community. We will be setting the tone and attitude that the community will possess for as long as we don't endure another Sunset-like 'reset'. Sure, things WILL change as populations rise and competition for resources and levelling opportunities becomes more heated. However, we've established a foundation of cooperation and comeraderie here that can and will survive the population boom, [i]if we make sure to nurture it.[/i]

If make sure new folks realize that being a heartless, amoral, inconsiderate jerk isn't welcome around here, and encourage proper etiquette and gratitude whenever we can, I see E&B's community being one of the most mature and uplifting of any game I've ever been a part of. It's already well on its way now.
[/quote]

I dunno about that, on Gali we had a few jerks, but they were few and very far between.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Riz' timestamp='1323475077' post='49493']
I dunno about that, on Gali we had a few jerks, but they were few and very far between.
[/quote]
Yeah, Galileo was pretty tame. Geez, most mmo's back then were at least moderately tame ...at least compared to some of the communities on the newer mmo's today. A lot of asshats now me thinks (in other games). Kids these days hah!

ps. I blame WoW.
All the non-mmo players it brought around :blink:
when mmo's became "cool". Edited by Daywolf

[quote name='Dragoncove' timestamp='1316459914' post='46334']
I'm honestly not seeing it, the new Market seems a lot more forgiving (as in not charging at this time) but competition isn't really something I saw on live. In fact, I always found the Arena to be an absolute laugh riot. The devs went to all the trouble to set up a complex, balanced game that all classes had their part in participating in, and everyone went into it to just shoot up their opponent with their guns. Which is a contest that the PW would ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS win. Maybe this JD might be able to make a good showing with the proper strategy, but this was never a game designed around one on one PvP -- or PvP at all, for that matter.

The bigger "competition" I saw on live was the lack of cooperation between builders and miners to produce equipment, and that hasn't changed. It's still easier for one person to produce that than to synchronize actions in the Market. The JS and PP have introduced more competition for the TT, but I don't see it as much as more competition as just different faces. The "pure" builders may gravitate to TT while the ones who want to have a more combat role may go for PP, but it will probably still be dominated by the highest level players.
[/quote]
Sorry, I'm afraid you are misremembering arena, it was the PS that owned the arena, so much so that there was whole whinefests on forums about it, and a retooling of PS skills to help alleviate the complaints, even after the retooling PS's had the strat's down to the point that they still owned.

PW's may have 6 weaps, but if they never get to shoot them, what (becuase of menace) what good would even 12 weap slots do? Even if they got the drop on some hapless PS, all they needed to do was powerdown and wait em out. Powerdown made the PS untargetable, true, you couldn't move or shoot while in powerdown, but while in powerdown, your shield and reactor were recharging.

One of the fav strats in arena was go and mine one of the high value balls, warrior types not being able to mine would try and jump you right after you mined it, when they did, power down and hunker the ball. While they were busy trying to get at you, fellow team members had run in 4 lower value balls, when they left to go stop that from happening you took your ball in. Then switch it up, let them "get" you, stand toe to toe with them until 50% shield, then menace them! As they ran helplessly away finish them off. If they managed to call in the calvery, power down and thumb your nose at them, if you was good enough at junk talk you might distract them long enough for your team mates to run in many more balls.

The only down side to arena was xp/rewards, the xp was minimal at best, you could get tons more xp even as a JE from combat in the same time frame, and other than brag rights there weren't tangable rewards.

PeggyLag or Lagasus as some called it was a good server Except for the Lag.
There seem to be order on this server. The After Fish Bowl auctions were pretty cool there was some camaraderie no matter what guild was in the fish bowl. (STOP shooting the Minions !)
Sure there was some Camping from some certain guilds, especially in Roc. I won't mention any names But their initials were A99 :) .
Back to the topic.
Nope this game can be a lot more, its really to bad that we/they have to stay with in the legal parameters of the client.

The giving away of free stuff is nice, but theres no competitiveness so the market has no real purpose theres no real economy.
I'm sure the larger guilds can come up with pricing if they can work together. (Yea good luck with that :blink: )

There has got to be Some sort of Elective PVP in the game (enter the sector), Not an Arena.
An entire NEW sector large enough to get lost in and not be seen. Enter the sector you become prey.Something the size of Capella maybe with the reward large enough to make it worth while for the cautious Jenquai ^_^ or the Overly confident Progens -_- or the Money hungry Terrans ;) . (Stop another subject)

Phorlaug <----Dreams of a [size=4]non-PVP[/size] Land or Station base combat with NPC and a hostered laser or PL and packing a shoulder mount Heavy Mining Laser for the Mining classes to break into the next room in a station or mining in an ancient quarry.

Keep some of what we have, bring back some of what was and think of much much more.

Phorlaug

• 2 weeks later...
I for one love the helpful community. What we have now... THIS is a community. The cutthroat nature isn't a community at all. You guys are awesome, I actually have to force myself to play other games now.

• 2 weeks later...
Been awhile since I posted this, and I think I may of not said it correctly. I never joined into the big fights, fish bowl etc, I was in a small group and we werent privi to such events. These I look forward to in Sunrise. I was thinking more of the builders end of it, keeping prices low on items and still trying to make credits at it. The way it is now building isnt really a money making profession. miners really werent money makers before, JE's could cash in as taxi's, PS had recall but PW's were the money makers far and above, and it was those privi to sell those rare drops who made the most.
Im one of those guys who would like to see a way where the miners, builders, transporters, healers etc can all get an equal share as the big guns. In a game where 1 person can do all the above with relative ease, it makes that impossible, I understand that but a guy can still dream cant he?

Live it wasn't the PW that were richest, it was rare recipe holders that had the POTENTIAL to be richest, e-credits are e-peen, thus most builders now with the recipes are building at or near cost or even free/donations since they have matured in the last decade enough to not need epeen to feel forfilled.

Example: A CFB shield live went for approx. 50-80m credit, now they are under 30m and can be built at cost for approx. 12m by any TT that got the recipe early on before it became progen content, or after it was made raid drop.

Now someone that had a recipe making something with a $38m-$68m repeatedly over a PW that had to farm for hours to get a single drop rare with that profit margin, who would make out more 1 drop or 5 builds a day? Of course the PW is out there shooting it up enjoying content and combat...the builder sitting in a station yacking it up racking up epeen, different strokes diff. folks, if epeen is your thing become a trader/builder.

Now as to miners.....they could make huge bank as well..since they controlled the high end ores needed to craft the comos to build the gear, and since L9 ore sometimes was scarce, if you were a good L9 miner and persisted you could make out quit handsomely. As to the taxi thing, yes JE could make out that way, but most would offer taxi rides as service or for donations, those builders would "trickle down" their profits as tips for fast fetchs from the JE. But the good JE made much more mining.

PS didn't make diddly on CF, the actual costs of mats was the high figure in a CF, once peeps had paid that much they usually didn't have much scratch left to tip the PS, the Ps made it on ores and gene map turn in, they were the only class that could sell the gene maps to the endriago gene repository, since the high end maps went for millions ea. those that had the PS turn them in for them would usually have a tidy sum to tip them at that time, myself I would turn in maps free to players and they did things for me at cost/free for me, gene maps kept my PS in the vast amounts of ammo I expended.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Indeed, I don't know if it was just low level or if I angered the wrong person, but, back on Live EnB, and I'm not sure if this was Pegasus or Galileo more than once I ran into cases of people healing a mob's sheilds/hull and telling me I better not try killing in that sector of space again.

At least, I -think- that's what was happeneing, all I know is that they did -something- to the creature i was fighting and suddenly a lot less of it's shield bar was coming off per salvo

Strange too, because I didn't think you could heal mobs in E&B. anywho, I much prefer the EnB of now, due to the fact that we just don't see that kind of grief tactic. Edited by muse

[quote name='muse' timestamp='1338061673' post='58291']
Indeed, I don't know if it was just low level or if I angered the wrong person, but more than once I ran into cases of people healing a mob's sheilds/hull and telling me I better not try killing in that sector of space again.

Strange too, because I didn't think you could heal mobs in E&B. anywho, I much prefer the EnB of now.
[/quote]

uhhhh...people healing a mobs shield and hull?

so first in the server status thread you post this:

[quote name='muse' timestamp='1338052145' post='58284']
1:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time and the servers are still down with no dev response. No, not complaining, just a sign of how appreciative I am of your work.
[/quote]

Now you are saying people are cheating and that there is a way to exploit and get people killed by healing mobs?

I have just one question...

Are you a troll?

No, I was talkign about -old- EnB when I mentioned players doing that

The fact that people are nice here, and that they -don't- grief as far as I've makes me enjoy the Emu community far more.

I see how my verbiage in the first post was unclear. editing it now.

And regarding that post on the server status thread? that wasn't trolling. I do -genuinely- appreciate the Emu's dev staff to a great measure, I know they're going through a lot of work for no profit.

I also know that I'm OCD and have grown a bit of a callus on my F5 finger over the last few hours. *shrugs* again, this isn't complaining. People have lives, I'm just very very much eager to get back to my gaming addiction of choice.

Edit the Second: and before you think "People have lives" is trolling, Devs are people too. Edited by muse

no offense intended, was just wondering...the wording just sounded like a large amount of sarcasm. I am the last one to point fingers if people do not type out what they meant...usually my posts are a massive wall of text that could have been summarized in a couple of sentences.

Hey, it's all good, I know for a fact I can be far more blunt and crass than I need to be, and I realize that I need to take more caution in the way I phrase myself.

That being said, I'm having a bit of a google failure. In that I keep hearing on these forums about something called a "Mars Construction Project" but google's coming up dry. I assume it's some crafting quest line for high end gear, but given that my max level in ENB live was 35 on a PW, and 42 on a TS on Sunrise, I can only guess such a thing was/is far above my level.

in live it was a progen warship being built, you would turn in ores for a reward. not sure of its status in the emu, but I remember it from live prior to sunset.

MCP isn't in EMU as of yet, that was a storyline thing. Perhaps in the future the MCP will add rewards for the Terran Scout. The other two explorers had rewards for turning in passes. The passes were rewards for the ores Reon mentions. IIRC most of the ores they required were refines from ores in the L7ish range. You would need to refine the ores, or get another explorer to do so if you don't have sufficent Prospect skill, but all explorers regardless of race should max that skill.

Yeh not to spill any storyline here, you can find the story line from live with a little research anyway.
MCP was a progen player perticipation thing, once the V'rix started their invasion and took primus, the progen came up real short on the ship count, so they instituted the Mars Constuction Project, It was to involve players in the storyline, have resource sink and provide miners content/gear rewards. They would turn in various ores in set quantities for passes, of which could be "spent" on gear rewards froma NPC.

One of the interesting features was there was a real time resource counter, when you turned in x amount of this ore it would add it to a running tally, you could see a actual ingame result to storyline from your individual efforts. When the tally of ores reached a set goul, another progen capital ship would be "manufactured" and sometime in the next few days a skirmish between V'rix and progen would result in tarsis.

There was also the Heal The Maw (HtM) content from the Jenqerium, (jenny supreme council) in which the miners would need to provide the ores needed, but all classes could perticipate in making nonpersisting devices, that were used to "inject" the (not currently in) maw in tarsis that were meant to "heal" it, then turn in the empty injectors to NPC in xipe totec as proof, for tokens, of which they also would be turned in for great gear, that is were most of the "build computers x" came from that enhanced your build percentages in weaps,reactors,shields,engines etc.

Yeah, both of those were great missions. I'm looking forward to them. I'm hoping that they have other missions of a comparable nature for explorers. In Live after der Todesengel opened there was also a series mission for Jenquai & Progen explorers that earned 2 non-manufacturable devices, as well as a choice of a third. To get all the devices you needed Prospect 7 for the final refines needed. The devices associated with this mission are the only items in the database that are Terran Restricted.