Old EnB or New EnB?

134 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Give-aways continue when the game goes 'live'?

• YES! The new E&B is Warm and Cozy!
    • NO! I want to be the Only one to reach the Top!
    • I'm just happy to be playing again

As I toot along in the game there is one thing I have noticed that is different from when the game was live. There is a lack of competition between the classes. On one hand the peacefulness is a great change from every other game out there but i cant help to think of the cut-throat days when the game was live.

I understand the testing, and unavoidable wipe have a hand in this, but......

Do you think this will change when the game returns to 'live'?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Do you really want the full harshness of the original game?

:->

I am sure it will be different then it is now but this rocks so hard , it will keep me here forever.

By the way there is competition but its usually in a guild vs guild skirmishes.

Join one of the big guilds and you will see

While the diehard progen players will always make fun of Junkpie characters , eg dandy walkin' , barrier of Kleenex shield

I bet most of them have at least one of them, I think its because we all know its a big free test session that trying something suicidal (eg JE combat , ducks from certain jenpies I know) is just part of the fun.

Also the new classes have opened up some options, eg no longer do you have to dual box with a warrior class and a TT to recharge your shields or do all your building. You have options eg hard hitting PP or Power Cell JT ,both with shield recharge.

I think that because we can have 3 free accounts each it encourages spreading toons out so you can mix and match.

Enjoy it all

Alk

• Upvote 1

Cut-throat-days in live?

never seen on orion server.

Fairplay and honest and helpful people I remember and that's why EnB was so special.

And what about war between the races? pretty stupid if most of us have toons of all kinds.

I was also on Peggie and as with many this was my first mmo.

To be honest I didn't know malteasers from monkey poo til someone said "Hi" and set me right.

Remember this was before many of us understood the mechanics of doing things the smart way.

Reason I almost cried when it closed and found other games were a cess pit of cannibals, I've got no time for people who can't have a laugh and be civil even when being competitive.

Gapetto - the new classes rock , still need a little fine tuning but very playable and make our game even better. The PP is absolutely my favourite class hands down, the TS is good but is lacking a skill and some devices , the JT is in my opinion lacking an offence ability(they took away psi shield) , dare I say it the ability to use missiles.

Overall I love this game even with the lumpy moments , it all works out in the end.

Feel lucky you were not with us when it would be taken away completely while being made playable.

All the best

Alk

What do y'all think of the new classes, not sure if I want to try something different. It's scary. :unsure:

Of the 3 new classes, the PT is far and away the most effective in direct combat, with firepower comparable to a TW. The JT is the least effective offensively of the 3 new classes, but she can make your reactor much better with her Reactor Opt skill. She can also build Reactors, with the Negotiate skill (for less money than a JE). Both PT and JT can recharge shields, but neither can hull patch. The Scout can build devices second only to the TT, can make more money mining due to negotiate & a larger cargo hold, has JS and hull patch, and has equal firepower to the TT, with more reactor and device options than a PE.

Thank you for your responses, I think I'll start a TS and maybe try a PP a little later. I'll have my eldest daughter try the other classes to start. Me and my 2 daughters, 1 for each class to fly around together; should make it lots of fun, but then I love EnB so I'm just so freaking glad it's back...I can quit sending hate mail to EA I suppose.

Thank you for your responses, I think I'll start a TS and maybe try a PP a little later. I'll have my eldest daughter try the other classes to start. Me and my 2 daughters, 1 for each class to fly around together; should make it lots of fun, but then I love EnB so I'm just so freaking glad it's back...I can quit sending hate mail to EA I suppose.

Nah...don't give up on the hate mail. We can't keep 'em honest, but at least we can let them know how we feel!

The game was never meant to be competitive and the classes were never meant to be balanced. They were supposed to compliment eachother in groups. A TE could never beat a PW, a JD could usually kick anyones ass, and it was supposed to be that way. A JE died if a mob gave it a dirty look, which was unfortunate with the poor sod only having short range weapons. But who cares, unless you played the game only for the arena in which case you would probably have both a PW and a JD character.

The competition evolved from the fact that desirable loot was being camped. Overpopulated servers or not enough alternative equipment for high end characters. Some guilds cooperated in near 24h operations to control certain encounters. The JDs got a lot of attention of course because noone could beat their dps in short encounters, and they would be on top of the loot when the mob died so they could take it and get away quick. A group of well equipped JDs could take down virtually any target, loot it and be gone in a few seconds. However they would never last in long drawn out battles so with their scan boost and all they could wait until the TEs and PWs thinned out the monsters, swoop in and take the final kill and get the loot.

• Upvote 2

Agreed except that the Scout does not have higher negotiate or larger cargo hull than the TT. No one does. rolleyes.gif

When I said larger cargo hold and Negotiate, I was talking about how a Scout could make more money than a JE or PE in mining. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in EnB only explorers (JE, Scout, Sentinel) can mine. My comment about the TT was that the Scout is second only to the TT in device building (ie: ahead of the PE, JE, JT, and JW.)

Edit: looks like you deleted your reply before I could complete my response.

• 1 month later...

Hmm..won't let me vote. :unsure:

Anyways I use to play peg and the competition there was mostly friendly. I was a jenpie explorer and loved to pick on the big dumb PW's.

On the emulator here I will still occasionally mention how dumb progens are. (i mean come on...how can you NOT pick on a race that is to stupid to properly make kids?) :)

Edited by Kalstang
  • Upvote 1

I don't understand why people are giving the OP neg ratings...

Orion wasn't too bad in LIVE, but AnDRAMAda was full of guilds fighting for boss kills. I can still remember waking up at odd ball hours to simply log-on and kill RD Base, Controller, Warder and such. Yeah thinking back now, being that hardcore in games makes me laugh, but being around people that dedicated was fun too.

There's not much need for competition right now, everyone has atleast a dualbox setup and can 'solo' stuff themselves. But as things get converted over to true raids they won't be able to and hopefully the competition returns. Nothing wrong with competing for mobs, and while everyone more or less gets along; once it becomes me and my guild/friends group against yours, I'm not your friend for the next few minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted I'm just happy to be playing again because even in Live I tried to be a generous person, sure if I spent millions on parts & then had to build something I wanted some compensation. AND I know that not everyone played like me, I wouldn't expect them to, that's the beauty of online games: everyone bringing their own unique personalities and somehow everyone seems to get their fair share of enjoyment out of the game. I'll say this now and as long as I'm playing, if I have the recipe and you bring me the parts then the button click is free, any tips will not be turned down but they're not expected

As far as racial competition goes, I think the reason there's so much about the Gate War (or was it Wars, plural?) in the game, Live and now, is to actually teach us what CAN happen if we allow tensions to grow. As George Santayana said: "Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I will admit, however, to only playing the "tissue paper hulled" Jenquai, but that's only because the Jenquai seem to fit my play style best (cloak & dagger), but I hold no animosity towards Terrans and Progen.

• Upvote 1

Cut throat? EnB Live? think you have the wrong game-- unless your only experience in MMOs is EnB LIVE and EnB Emulator- and no Andromeda was not that way either-- sure there was drama, and a small handful of guilds mightve been that way (*snicker*) but EnB live could never be categorized as 'cut-throat'. Infact you will always here the cut-throat type players ridiculing the EnB community of being a bunch of care-bears.

Edited by irrelevant

• 7 months later...
[quote name='Red' timestamp='1291442600' post='29231']
As I toot along in the game there is one thing I have noticed that is different from when the game was live. There is a lack of competition between the classes. On one hand the peacefulness is a great change from every other game out there but i cant help to think of the cut-throat days when the game was live.
I understand the testing, and unavoidable wipe have a hand in this, but......
Do you think this will change when the game returns to 'live'?
[/quote]

Personally, I like the community the way it is now as opposed to Live in the cut throat department. There are still occasional snaipes back and forth, but frankly...it's enjoyable to have people mostly on good terms no matter what class/race they are.

Im in favor of keeping the peacefulness, But trying to find a way to create PvP for guilds to fight each other (maybe even races) Something like faction wars in eve would be great for story line, and pvp fun in here.

This is a lot of work to do, and i dont feel the servers are ready for it. the hardware needs to be updated for pvp of any kind beyond 10-15 man battles to take place.

I'm honestly not seeing it, the new Market seems a lot more forgiving (as in not charging at this time) but competition isn't really something I saw on live. In fact, I always found the Arena to be an absolute laugh riot. The devs went to all the trouble to set up a complex, balanced game that all classes had their part in participating in, and everyone went into it to just shoot up their opponent with their guns. Which is a contest that the PW would ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS win. Maybe this JD might be able to make a good showing with the proper strategy, but this was never a game designed around one on one PvP -- or PvP at all, for that matter.

The bigger "competition" I saw on live was the lack of cooperation between builders and miners to produce equipment, and that hasn't changed. It's still easier for one person to produce that than to synchronize actions in the Market. The JS and PP have introduced more competition for the TT, but I don't see it as much as more competition as just different faces. The "pure" builders may gravitate to TT while the ones who want to have a more combat role may go for PP, but it will probably still be dominated by the highest level players.

[quote name='Whitelighter' timestamp='1294833417' post='31989']
I don't understand why people are giving the OP neg ratings...

Orion wasn't too bad in LIVE, but AnDRAMAda was full of guilds fighting for boss kills. I can still remember waking up at odd ball hours to simply log-on and kill RD Base, Controller, Warder and such. Yeah thinking back now, being that hardcore in games makes me laugh, but being around people that dedicated was fun too.

There's not much need for competition right now, everyone has atleast a dualbox setup and can 'solo' stuff themselves. But as things get converted over to true raids they won't be able to and hopefully the competition returns. Nothing wrong with competing for mobs, and while everyone more or less gets along; once it becomes me and my guild/friends group against yours, I'm not your friend for the next few minutes.
[/quote]

-- 3AM Controller Raid, be on or lose your slot for 6 weeks (we will KS your slot in the rotation since itll be "wasted" otherwise). Signed Static.

-- Tada-O Gate goes active in about 4-6 hours, be on. Yes I know its midnight on a Monday morning. Contact some of the other guilds, MM will have four groups out there, so we gotta make sure we have enough DPS to beat them in credit.

-- Warder going active in 30 minutes, get on your JDs and get here. *gets there, sees 100 people nose down into the spawn point*

-- 1 Dallia, 2 Ryle, 3 Cookoo, 4 Wizzard, 5 Skydude, 6... etc etc A 7 is rolled. The person that gets the loot isnt even the right profession for the item. This fact isnt noticed by the raid leader, or ignored. Loots it anyway, or accidentally (on purpose) ninjaloots the whole corpse when its released to them. Drama ensues for the next 3 weeks bitching about it.

-- Not a member of Static, MM, OC, TOG or any of the other "allied" guilds that ran with OC or MM? Shucks out of luck son, youre never getting a skull shield or fury. Also good luck getting a controller rotation slot. The thing spawns like once every 2 weeks, and theres 4 guilds already on it. See you for a tryout the next time one of them fails in 5 months. Oh btw, did we mention that if you fail your tryout, we will just finish the job for ya, better luck in 2003! Or you can try KSing someone and guaranteeing yourself to never be invited to the rotation, good luck KSing 6 groups of Static.

-- Market: WTB Looting rights to Devastating Gaze - 300Mil

Those were the days... Edited by Ryle
  • Upvote 1

Good points Ryle. I remember that about the DG, in Andromeda. Before the fishbowl made DGs much more obtainable, I was quoted a price of 800mil for one. Needless to say I didn't get one until after the fishbowl came about, and my JW got one first. My JE instead had to use two Pitbull Sr. and a L8 Ruby Disruptor, and since my favorite orefields were guarded by CL48-56 Manes, my Ghost Edge beams never got any use on my JE. Would have loved to use them while mining, but they only healed my enemies (Manes).

The improvement to the Mars Construction Project, which included the Gaze of Amah, a L9 Plasma beam I could earn through mining, and an exception to the rule that Explorers cannot build weapons, made the issue better. The requirements were high, but well worth it, 15 passes worth of specific ores for the recipe, one pass worth of ore for one of the parts, good RD faction to get the next part (sold at a space vendor in BBW north of QAR), and the third part at Jove's Fury. Also requred a maxed build skill. The Eye of Destruction from the Fishbowl complemented the Gaze of Amah by having the same refire rate. Now that the Made to Live beam exists, things are a bit better than live since it complements both beams both by buffs & refire rate. (thanks devs for adding that beam, and making it with parts that are manufacturable or vendor.)

I belonged to one of the smaller guilds on Andro that were lucky enuf to be friends with MM, and get in on some of the raids. There was always some kind of drama from other guilds about timing sucks and such. I still remember the "allied" forums on MM's site for rotation issues and such. For the most part things went pretty smoothly after the big guys got a rotation going.

And Ryle is spot on about some of those raids and the camping that happened. :)

Market channel went by so fast with sell ad spammers it was hard to watch lol.

The community here now is vastly better than live. In live I kept many of the channels closed because of asshattery. Here I have most of them open, and not one name on ignore. ;)
Maybe it's because most of the folks here now, are older, more mature, or core folks who loved the game and are glad to be back.

I was on Galileo and don't remember any harshness at all. Why would anyone even what that in this game? There are enough games out there if your looking for that. The community on my server was always friendly and helpful just like it is here. Most of the people here i think like it this way.
  • Upvote 1