Player Harrassment by Dev's

Apparently if your mining grouped with your guild mates to share mining xp your doing something wrong. Grouped with guildmates chatting and trying to clear what someone said was an unclearable field in New Edin and they pop a lvl 66 on top of us and killed 3 of the 4 of us. (Didn't get me though did ya :)). Devs where right there to watch and I guess it's funny to them. Seriously though, why not say hey don't mine here, or hey I want this spot to mine? Whats the deal, we're here to have fun, not to have fun at someone else's expense. Grow up dev's.

• Upvote 1

Apparently if your mining grouped with your guild mates to share mining xp your doing something wrong. Grouped with guildmates chatting and trying to clear what someone said was an unclearable field in New Edin and they pop a lvl 66 on top of us and killed 3 of the 4 of us. (Didn't get me though did ya :P). Devs where right there to watch and I guess it's funny to them. Seriously though, why not say hey don't mine here, or hey I want this spot to mine? Whats the deal, we're here to have fun, not to have fun at someone else's expense. Grow up dev's.

I remember there was a thread about devs doing this when there were certain minefields that had the elite devices (from Der Todesengel and Ardus encounters) since they wanted to test something in the roid drops.

Kind of a delightful poke at people who were hording the elite devices that were either "leaked" or otherwise never meant to be available to players at this point in the ST.

My guess is those particular roid fields (superclusters in very tight dispersion patterns) in New Edinburgh are not supposed to be there (N.E. in live had only L4-L6 ores/gases as I recall)... and are temporarily there to test out how the 100+ object roid fields handle.

The Devs might have seen that as players "exploiting the test", which is in itself a bit of a dodgy view of things, since this whole game instance is a test. :)

Still, that is a rather annoying thing to do. Testing content like this should be done in the dev sectors like Nebulous, if they need to be done on the play server.

O M F G

I can't believe they are still griping about dynamic events.............here.

Do what most of us would do and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP out of there sheesh.

Unbelievable!

Please do not box if you're afraid of a little death!

Peace!

I remember there was a thread about devs doing this when there were certain minefields that had the elite devices (from Der Todesengel and Ardus encounters) since they wanted to test something in the roid drops.

Kind of a delightful poke at people who were hording the elite devices that were either "leaked" or otherwise never meant to be available to players at this point in the ST.

My guess is those particular roid fields (superclusters in very tight dispersion patterns) in New Edinburgh are not supposed to be there (N.E. in live had only L4-L6 ores/gases as I recall)... and are temporarily there to test out how the 100+ object roid fields handle.

The Devs might have seen that as players "exploiting the test", which is in itself a bit of a dodgy view of things, since this whole game instance is a test. :)

Still, that is a rather annoying thing to do. Testing content like this should be done in the dev sectors like Nebulous, if they need to be done on the play server.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

i for one LIKE this. for me it adds a little spice (like a pop rock) to mining.

the fact that you immediately started cursing about it, and the "abusing power" devs here and in chat just proves to me that you need to grow some thicker skin.

there are better ways to voice your anger,

maybe asking why it happened would be a start.

i for one LIKE this. for me it adds a little spice (like a pop rock) to mining.

the fact that you immediately started cursing about it, and the "abusing power" devs here and in chat just proves to me that you need to grow some thicker skin.

there are better ways to voice your anger,

maybe asking why it happened would be a start.

yea - by the way, Cheeseball - I don't like your name. I do not like being a Dev Toy, and if Devs want to put in "sweet spots" as the dev who killed my toons put it, they need to not be in player accessable areas, and we need to be given lists of where we should not mine.

And Fuzzdome. How did your name get by the tos restrictions?

What? We think kids are stupid now? I have young folks running these wtf and stuff like past me like I'm stupid. I just say sgo. They say, "Whassat?" I say, "Sucks getting old."

If you say wtf in front of a 10yo now, they know exactly what you mean, so don't think OMFG gets past them.

I say apply the TOS instead of just waving it around and clean up these names and boot those using these cute little ploys to get past the TOS. Otherwise don't wave it at me when I spell it out.

post-323-049150100 1291033473_thumb.jpg

post-323-049150100 1291033473_thumb.jpg

--Disclaimer: I wasn't there and didn't witness the mob spawn nor the interchange. Just voicing an (unasked for) opinion as a fellow miner.

In general, anything that gets put out into the play environment and is thus player-accessible should be considered fair game by the player base. The only exception to this is anything where a DEV or GM has publicly communicated on the FORUMS that such activity is considered an exploit and should be stopped.

Example: Lots of folks knew about the super devices in roids that peppered VG. Lots of folks camped those roids to obtain items that weren't necessarily meant to be in game right now. There was no mention on the forums that this was an exploit and such activity should be stopped. If a DEV/GM had stepped in and posted something, then any consequences after the fact should be treated as warranted, right? Well some would say in this case, it's obviously a bug/exploit... But without proper communication how is anyone to know it's not a test of various game features?

Example: Shadow Point was another one of these spots with uber mineables. Those were removed a long time ago. What was left behind was a very large field of roids. The fields are unclearable for the most part due to the mechanics of roid respawn once a field has been interacted with. Aside from being able to sit there and mine forever (barring hold restrictions) there is currently nothing to be gained here aside from ores. Is this a honey pot per the DEV in the screenshot above? Again as there was no public posting on the FORUMS, I would say no. Folks were mining, even forming mining groups to try and tackle the field. They were playing by the rules and having fun. They were not even obtaining anything out of the ordinary. Again, without proper communication, then there's really no reason for some random DEV/GM type to come along and punish players for doing something that hasn't been explicitly forbidden.

There are plenty of asteroid fields that are large. Yes many are clearable, but many are not. Has anyone tried to solo clear Arduinne planet? Glenn gas field? VG's level 4-6 field near Ratatosk Trail 4? Saying that a field simply being 300 roids large is an exploit is poor logic. Who's to say that it's not a test mining RAID field that requires more than one group to clear? How is the player base meant to know it's not intended for player use when it's sitting out there in player space?

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. My point here is, if something on the play server isn't meant to be there and the DEVs don't like players interacting with it, then post that information on the forums. Yes there's a risk that more folks will go and exploit it, but at the same time, any consequences imposed later on will be totally expected.

Devs harassing players: No good. Posting communication to say "Don't mine here" is just a trap for players who didn't read it: No good either. The only good remedy is removing the asteroid field from content, stop play server, push content, start play server. Job done. Probably doesn't take much effort or time and avoids a lot of aggravation.

(I've not seen Shadow Point but if it's like Redemption or David's Ideal Home then might players be able to clear out one particular sub-field gaining the clearance bonus and move onto another sub-field? Rinse repeat).

You're right. Posting on the forums isn't enough, with the ultimate answer being a play server shutdown with the offending fields/content removed being the correct solution. But barring that due to logistics (holidays, real life, etc) posting on the forums isn't all bad since it's public and can be communicated to others by word of mouth.

To say a field is unclearable is just a challenge to us miners. :)

I've personally cleared out the two uber-dense fields in New Ed with another guildy... It can be done. :P

Besides... Other than these uber fields there's no real reason to group up and mine. It seems everything in this game is becoming solo-able. Fields that can be cleared by one person with no mob aggro to be seen. I miss the big hunting-mining ops we had in the past before sunset.

I've been out and found Shadow Point and it's like asteroid fields everywhere at the moment - not even worth logging in an explorer to go visit. It is devastated or decimated like everywhere else. I counted 10 clouds in the Glenn gas field, lol.

yea - by the way, Cheeseball - I don't like your name. I do not like being a Dev Toy, and if Devs want to put in "sweet spots" as the dev who killed my toons put it, they need to not be in player accessable areas, and we need to be given lists of where we should not mine.And Fuzzdome. How did your name get by the tos restrictions?What? We think kids are stupid now? I have young folks running these wtf and stuff like past me like I'm stupid. I just say sgo. They say, "Whassat?" I say, "Sucks getting old."If you say wtf in front of a 10yo now, they know exactly what you mean, so don't think OMFG gets past them.I say apply the TOS instead of just waving it around and clean up these names and boot those using these cute little ploys to get past the TOS. Otherwise don't wave it at me when I spell it out.

getting a bit personal are we?

whether you like my name or not is immaterial to the discussion but try to get the spelling correct.

i don't pretend to know why someone did that to you. my guess is that you LOOKED like you were macro-mining as that seems to be the standard response when suspected.

if its just a matter of the field shouldn't have been added then the person in question should've just told you to move along instead of dropping a 66 on your head. (i still find this humorous.)

all of your group save one died once. ONCE, who cares? especially when we're lucky to be playing at all.

climb down off your cross, build a bridge and get over it.

• Downvote 1