Community Advocate Program

Kyp

Community Advocate Election  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who will you choose as your first Community Advocate?

Hello everyone,

During our development meeting last night we discussed this as a pilot program. We're going to try something a little new. We want you all to come together and elect a Community Advocate. It will be this individual's responsibility to talk to all of you on a regular basis, and help us by providing input and guidance from you, the fans of Earth and Beyond. This position will require a nomination and a vote, just like a standard election (but there will be no vitriol or personal attacks like other standard elections :) )

Once they've done so they will bring these concerns to us and share them with us to assist us more with the big picture rather than individual complaints, they will also be allowed to attend most discussions and have the ability to visit the developers in the dev channels of the Teamspeak at will. This person will be required to sign an NDA for our content purposes and will only be allowed to release what we tell them is OK, so that we may maintain storyline secrets or future surprises we have for you when so desired. This person needs to be exceptional at communications to be considered, the development team reserves the right to discontinue this program at any time if we feel it is not meeting its expectations either with you, or with us. Also, final decision authority will always of course remain in the hands of the developers.

• No current or past members of the project staff are eligible for this position.
  • You are not eligible if you have a past disciplinary record documented in our database.
  • You must have exceptional writing and communications skills.
  • You will be required to use teamspeak and have an operational microphone.
  • To become a nominee you must have at least 5 backers that are willing to post that they would also nominate you for the position.
  • You may serve a maximum term of 6 months (in 3 month increments), no re-election for at least 2 terms following a full 6 month term.
  • You must make yourself available for this as much as you can afford, if you are absent for longer than 15 days it will be considered abdication and a new election will be held as necessary.
  • These rules can be changed or added to if needed to prevent abuse of the system.

In exchange, the perks are well.. pride I guess. You'll get a nifty tag in and out of game, get to help your fellow players AND direct access to developers to talk about issues and ask questions. Sound like a fun job? Post here and nominate yourself and find some supporters, once there are at least three Nominees we will hold an election for the Community Advocate. The election will be a poll for 7 days, and once it is resolved, the advocate will then be in place for 3 months and up for reelection 1 time following if the community wills by majority as incumbent.

Let me know if there are any questions regarding this.

----

I have added the poll with the two eligible advocates. May the best one for the job win! I'll close it in 1 week's time as of 7:30pm EST on 12/22/2010

-Kyp

Final tally with staff member votes discounted:

Lannister: 40 votes

TraderMagoo 16 votes

Lannister is your new Community Advocate. His position will commence starting January 1st and will last for 3 months, at which time you can put forth another nominee or re-elect him as you so desire, so get your ideas to him as soon as you can, he'll need time to put all of his data together at the time of our next meeting.

Congratulations Lannister

Edited by Kyp
Final Tally
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd like to be a part of the team (since I like to help where I can) but there is only one little issue with that. With a certain PS3 game that came out last week and with another PC game expansion coming out in a couple of weeks I will probably be taking some leave from the game here to play the later one I mentioned. How long will said advocate program be going on?

I'd like to be a part of the team (since I like to help where I can) but there is only one little issue with that. With a certain PS3 game that came out last week and with another PC game expansion coming out in a couple of weeks I will probably be taking some leave from the game here to play the later one I mentioned. How long will said advocate program be going on?

this initial election will last until we have the three nominees and I can post a poll for everyone to choose the most qualified for the position or a couple of weeks, if this initial election isn't setup within the first two weeks of december we'll just discontinue it. We believe this would be something of interest to someone out there that really wants to help make a change and get this game moving along much faster. Make no mistake, there's a bit of work involved, but in the end it'll be worthwhile.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

All 3 above seem very active in game and on the boards. I havent been playing long enough to know everyone but magoo has lots of knowledge about how everything works(and doesn't), and would get my vote. Again, I don't know everyone but gemini, vaden, magoo any would probably make a good community advocate.

this initial election will last until we have the three nominees and I can post a poll for everyone to choose the most qualified for the position or a couple of weeks, if this initial election isn't setup within the first two weeks of december we'll just discontinue it. We believe this would be something of interest to someone out there that really wants to help make a change and get this game moving along much faster. Make no mistake, there's a bit of work involved, but in the end it'll be worthwhile.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

I Pick Winxp1

• Downvote 3

Either Pax Or Buzzstpoint for me

Not withstanding this election et al...

I just want to say publicly that Buzzstpoint is an excellent Officer and one heck of a Progen!

His commitment to Shield quality and his self-less "Can Build" attitude is an inspiration to others...

Not to mention his ability to be there and in time!

Thanks Buzz!

Pax appreciates the consideration...

But has to decline due to reasons of duty and the needs of the Republic!

Hello everyone,

During our development meeting last night we discussed this as a pilot program. We're going to try something a little new. We want you all to come together and elect a Community Advocate. It will be this individual's responsibility to talk to all of you on a regular basis, and help us by providing input and guidance from you, the fans of Earth and Beyond. This position will require a nomination and a vote, just like a standard election (but there will be no vitriol or personal attacks like other standard elections ;) )

Once they've done so they will bring these concerns to us and share them with us to assist us more with the big picture rather than individual complaints, they will also be allowed to attend most discussions and have the ability to visit the developers in the dev channels of the Teamspeak at will. This person will be required to sign an NDA for our content purposes and will only be allowed to release what we tell them is OK, so that we may maintain storyline secrets or future surprises we have for you when so desired. This person needs to be exceptional at communications to be considered, the development team reserves the right to discontinue this program at any time if we feel it is not meeting its expectations either with you, or with us. Also, final decision authority will always of course remain in the hands of the developers.

Let me know if there are any questions regarding this.

Concerns:

I think there should be three people each time. It is hard to only have one person , that person may only play one race and not understand the other races when a bug or problem happens. Having more people give more chance one of the Advocates would be on, and if you only have one and that person looses their rank because they are not on, we have none till a new one is brought it.

If it is voting, if you have a guild with a bunch of people, I am afraid with a group having so many people, it will be a popularity contest. How about nominations from five people but you guys would review the nominations and choose the 1, 2,3 or how ever so many people.

Edited by Alessan
  • Upvote 1

I think there should be three people each time.

Nice idea, Alessan!

Seems fitting and proper to have a Jenquai, Terran and Progen Community Advocate imo.

Maybe throw in some Class Representatives too...

One for each community?!

Have them all meet in a Community-based Council...

Jenquai Council, Terran Council, and Progen Council?

Edited by Dora the Sabine Explorer

Sounds like a very good idea. I like the concept of someone within the community of players, and outside the devs world, that can take input from his/her fellow players and give the devs a different insight into what players feel about the way the EnB world works and evolves. Howver, like many ideas, putting this into action presents a myriad of problems.

I believe that the outlined selection process stands a strong chance of becoming nothing more than a simple popularity contest. That's not a problem if that's what this is about and that's what the devs want. However, I don't think that's the case. What I'm hearing is a call to the community of players giving us a chance to tell them what we like and what we don't like and asking what our hopes and dreams for the future of the game are.

Much of what lies before us in the game is already loosely mapped out. We all know that. I think this is the dev's way of telling us, "We're finally getting a handle on this thing. Now its time to give you guys out there a bigger voice in what we do next."

So, how do you implement something like this? How do you go about finding people that have the time, patience, heart, desire, and love of the game to perform this task? Frankly, I have no idea. Perhaps a popularity contest is best way. At least then you know you'll get someone everyone knows and will talk to.

I just hope that the person (or persons) that get this opportunity find a way to leave personality out of it and give everyone an equal chance to be heard. If this goes forward, as I hope it does, I don't want anyone to be able to say they were left out or ignored because the advocate didn't, or wouldn't, take the time to listen to what they had to say.

Thanks,

Reddbeard aka Dave

Concerns:

I think there should be three people each time. It is hard to only have one person , that person may only play one race and not understand the other races when a bug or problem happens. Having more people give more chance one of the Advocates would be on, and if you only have one and that person looses their rank because they are not on, we have none till a new one is brought it.

If it is voting, if you have a guild with a bunch of people, I am afraid with a group having so many people, it will be a popularity contest. How about nominations from five people but you guys would review the nominations and choose the 1, 2,3 or how ever so many people.

And just like A President, even when u r done, you should still get to keep a special tag saying you did the position. U only get to keep the tag if you complete one of the terms and were not kicked out because u where not one.

I must admit i like the idea of having 3 people whose main toons are and have much knowledge of each race, terran, progen, jenq.

i think it is clear that vaden is a nominee. and as ive posted earlier i definately concur with that.