Unopened sectors

As the title suggests, how can we get these "new" areas opened faster? Is this discussion moot due to upcoming changes? What are the new sectors like?

-rek

Some of the new sectors may be storyline related, which means that the devs would have a specific time after the Emulator goes Live to open them. For those that are not open for non-storyline reasons, I'm curious as well.

I just wish some of the content that currently can only be found in closed sectors (item drops with no story reason that I know of for being unavailable) was available elsewhere.

Or that jobs stopped asking me to visit Ceres/Thule once in a while.

@Yuritau: Example of loot that is only available in a closed sector which you think has nothing to do with story. Perhaps we can either enlighten or link it to story for you.

@Jrky & Terrell: The only ones I can speak for are Ardus and Der Todesengel, they are the only ones that I have closed, and they become available at specific points in the story, the first being several months after live, the second being closer to a year. (assuming we follow the same schedule EA/Westwood did). To answer the question though, what we need are people that are willing to test and document, its boring as hell (the writing parts) but it helps us get things done a LOT faster. We have very few testers that are willing to put in the necessary work for that.

@Kyp adding in some stuff that just plain isn't available at ALL, just cause.

vega MCG 4 Ceres/Thule

Dolphin Tail L6 Not Available

Hidden Eye & Invisible Eye Not Available (these two I suspect are tied to something.. could be wrong)

Aquila Minor IBWS 5 & Aquila Minor IBWS 6 Not Available

Zalty's Pride Not Available

Ying-Lung's Pride Nebulous

Wyvern's Pride Not Available

Strong Shield Model Y Only Available if you rip it from the L5 version

Just a few things I've noticed so far that I've tried to find.

The Hidden Eye in Live was sold by the Veil Trader in Kitara's Veil, the recipe for the Invisible Eye was one of the items you could receive as a reward for doing the Balm Run. The Balm Run was repeatable and offered several things you could obtain from the Councillor in Prasad Station's Hangar.

Edit: During the devices in asteroids bug, my Terran Explorer was able to get those in her recipe book.

@Kyp adding in some stuff that just plain isn't available at ALL, just cause.

vega MCG 4 Ceres/Thule Available in Ceres/Thule of Sol & Chandilar of the Eridani system, though no idea if both of those are closed, both belong to the independent team

Dolphin Tail L6 Not Available Available at a vendor, in open and available space.

Hidden Eye & Invisible Eye Not Available (these two I suspect are tied to something.. could be wrong) See Terrells comments above.

Aquila Minor IBWS 5 & Aquila Minor IBWS 6 Not Available I'm sure this one is probably an oversight.

Zalty's Pride Not Available definitely not, appears to be related to red dragon storyline, a mob or npc named "Fang Anh Nu". Something Webby or one of his team members would have to enlighten you on I would think.

Ying-Lung's Pride Nebulous If it's only in Nebulous, there's probably a good reason seeing as that's our testing sector :) Riia would probably be the best person to answer that. The effect may not be working yet or something of that nature.

Wyvern's Pride Not Available Should be a mob drop from the same mob that drops Zalty's Pride

Strong Shield Model Y Only Available if you rip it from the L5 version Intended, this was how this item worked in the live game, and there are several other lines that do this too.

Just a few things I've noticed so far that I've tried to find.

See bold for comments.

@Kyp

Do the Shears map to something storyline-ish? When I started playing EnB, the Shears were open, so I'd imagine they should be open now too. Or are they closed pending V'rix storyline?

Closed pending v'rix, to enlighten slightly for those who don't remember the story: Humanity and our persistence in screwing with Gate technology caught the attention of the Ancients, whom are the "gods" of the universe, at least in some form or fashion. They manufactured the v'rix as defenders of certain things, this technology was related to something used in the ancient past to cause extreme havoc and almost ended the universe. The shears are v'rix versions of a gate that carried them across time and space to investigate and do whatever was necessary to prevent the gate technology from being abused. Humans were too primitive to handle it.

Closed pending v'rix, to enlighten slightly for those who don't remember the story: Humanity and our persistence in screwing with Gate technology caught the attention of the Ancients, whom are the "gods" of the universe, at least in some form or fashion. They manufactured the v'rix as defenders of certain things, this technology was related to something used in the ancient past to cause extreme havoc and almost ended the universe. The shears are v'rix versions of a gate that carried them across time and space to investigate and do whatever was necessary to prevent the gate technology from being abused. Humans were too primitive to handle it.

Ah okay. I started a few months after retail launch so must've missed that patch. Thanks for the clarification.

@Kyp Neither database knows which vendor has the dolphin tail L6.. care to enlighten me? ;p

Perhaps the database you're searching with needs a good solid kick, and perhaps there's a bug. :) I'll look, but it did show up in a vendor search on one of our tools.

Perhaps the database you're searching with needs a good solid kick, and perhaps there's a bug. :) I'll look, but it did show up in a vendor search on one of our tools.

which tool? Both enbdatabase.net-7.org and enbarsenal.com list it as no vendors.

I've also flown around to all the getco vendors I can think of.. no luck yet.

Where do i sign up? Would love to help with game dev but have no real programming skills except for VB.

@Yuritau: Example of loot that is only available in a closed sector which you think has nothing to do with story. Perhaps we can either enlighten or link it to story for you.

@Jrky & Terrell: The only ones I can speak for are Ardus and Der Todesengel, they are the only ones that I have closed, and they become available at specific points in the story, the first being several months after live, the second being closer to a year. (assuming we follow the same schedule EA/Westwood did). To answer the question though, what we need are people that are willing to test and document, its boring as hell (the writing parts) but it helps us get things done a LOT faster. We have very few testers that are willing to put in the necessary work for that.

which tool? Both enbdatabase.net-7.org and enbarsenal.com list it as no vendors.

Both are very outdated, i'm working on getting the enbdatabase (but not that site, will be the integrated one at net-7.org) updated, but waiting for the content devs to sort a few things first :)

not a tool you guys can use, it requires being a developer. sorry.

Where do i sign up? Would love to help with game dev but have no real programming skills except for VB.

Programming is not a prerequisite to game development. Imagination is. :(

Programming is a prerequisite only to the game programmer. The more of those we can get who can work with the team the better honestly; however, we can probably use more content developers. I'll set up an application on the forum soon.

so kyp, now the plan for the emulator is to open like live did and wait on their time schedule for content ? because that wasn't the original plan that was announced. and really if it is we'll see more and more people leave as the boredom gets worse

Rabidcajun, our goal IS and always was a working game, which we've more or less met. That was the initial goal laid out when this project began. The plans for the story only got started around 2 years ago give or take 6 months and they've been to start from a point shortly after the gate war from that time forward. For all those who talk about starting at sunset, that's not ever (that I'm aware of) come from the mouth of a developer, and if it has they were speaking on their own accord. It has been established in our meetings that this is where the story would begin. If players get bored and leave, that is their own prerogative, we're trying to build a game not pander to people who are helping to test it to keep them around. If its frustrating now, you can always come back later when you don't have to deal with the quirks of testing. The terms "Like live" don't mean the end state of the story, I can only assume that's what's being alluded to here. That refers only to the systems and functionality of the game. We've always also planned to fix things that were unbalanced and broken.

I never said anything about no content or waiting for content during live, you're drawing your own conclusions. There will be content for every leg of the story arc. By the time we get through there'll be plenty to do, so I'm not worried about players leaving, honestly. The only thing players leaving hurts is donations, and in turn our ability to host a public server. In the long run, it's self-punishment for being unhappy with the game.

Rabidcajun, our goal IS and always was a working game, which we've more or less met. That was the initial goal laid out when this project began. The plans for the story only got started around 2 years ago give or take 6 months and they've been to start from a point shortly after the gate war from that time forward. For all those who talk about starting at sunset, that's not ever (that I'm aware of) come from the mouth of a developer, and if it has they were speaking on their own accord. It has been established in our meetings that this is where the story would begin. If players get bored and leave, that is their own prerogative, we're trying to build a game not pander to people who are helping to test it to keep them around. If its frustrating now, you can always come back later when you don't have to deal with the quirks of testing. The terms "Like live" don't mean the end state of the story, I can only assume that's what's being alluded to here. That refers only to the systems and functionality of the game. We've always also planned to fix things that were unbalanced and broken.

I never said anything about no content or waiting for content during live, you're drawing your own conclusions. There will be content for every leg of the story arc. By the time we get through there'll be plenty to do, so I'm not worried about players leaving, honestly. The only thing players leaving hurts is donations, and in turn our ability to host a public server. In the long run, it's self-punishment for being unhappy with the game.

You've got a game that is a pretty good framework for continuing as a work in progress.

It's not really all that necessary to follow a contrived order for doing things in a relative "story line" similar to Earth & Beyond history starting from the gate war. That makes it feel like we'll be waiting forever to see the Mordana again, or the creatures in Ardus, or the V'rix in Roc, or the Fenrir in the Tarsis shear, or the V'rix in the Swooping Eagle shear, or the crazy hull tanking Bogeril.

Alternatively the problem may be that the vision hasn't been communicated. Quite often players become frustrated because they hear "it's not the right time in the storyline yet" but that statement doesn't reveal anything. My honest opinion is that the vision for progressing the emulator needs a review and/or communication. Perhaps taking onboard what players think as part of that vision.

A last thought -- I don't think there is a need either to follow conventional practices like alpha, beta and live. You could treat this project as something that could be in a perpetual work in progress state and always going forwards.

I think there needs to be a clear communication of what the story plan is, and what items/mobs/sectors do or don't fit into the current story point.

There are currently many inconsistencies.

If we're sticking to "story" then why is the Tada-O gate open right now when there's no V'rix? Didn't they both exist at the same time? I recall the original Tada-O raids involved attacking the gate and killing named Ten-Gu in Cooper space. It wasn't until much later that it became a sector.

Why were Brimstone Ballistas allowed into the game and then not subsequently removed? Aren't they DT content? Conversely, while items like the Solar Sail 7/8 and Dung Flinger weren't intended to be available during that short stint of uber-roidness, why were they removed from inventories and build lists when the Brimstone Ballistas were left in? There seems to be some hidden jockeying for what items do or don't get removed to support the "storyline."

As far as I know, the Ghost of Black Beard was never a mob in live, and sorely needs balancing. Right now his drops are some of the best in the game, far exceeding some of the late game patch content from the live storyline. Being available now feels unbalanced and detrimental to the continuation of story content.

And with no V'rix mobs at all right now, why do we still see V'rix related drops like the CH1NN2LFL4W? With Ardus closed, why are Dark Matter enriched ores available in roid fields? These were only available in Ardus during live.

This isn't a criticism post, just one pointing out that inconsistencies in the current game implementation may lead folks to incorrect assumptions on exactly what the intended "storyline" is meant to be. I'm not asking for things to get removed, just that some exposure of the plan would be nice. If we go on the premise that we're all testers in the building/recreation of a game, then I think it's valid for everyone to have some better understanding of where things are planned to go.

I'm sure this can be done without revealing spoilers.

Thanks for reading this far.

P.S. Happy Turkey day to all the folks in the States!

You've got a game that is a pretty good framework for continuing as a work in progress.

It's not really all that necessary to follow a contrived order for doing things in a relative "story line" similar to Earth & Beyond history starting from the gate war. That makes it feel like we'll be waiting forever to see the Mordana again, or the creatures in Ardus, or the V'rix in Roc, or the Fenrir in the Tarsis shear, or the V'rix in the Swooping Eagle shear, or the crazy hull tanking Bogeril.

Alternatively the problem may be that the vision hasn't been communicated. Quite often players become frustrated because they hear "it's not the right time in the storyline yet" but that statement doesn't reveal anything. My honest opinion is that the vision for progressing the emulator needs a review and/or communication. Perhaps taking onboard what players think as part of that vision.

A last thought -- I don't think there is a need either to follow conventional practices like alpha, beta and live. You could treat this project as something that could be in a perpetual work in progress state and always going forwards.

Yes, but we don't want the game to be a perpetual work in progress, one day we want to release it for everyone to run their own so we can do other projects. No one wants to stay on the same project forever, at least no creative person I've ever met anyway :( We all love Earth and Beyond sure, but not enough to solely dedicate ourselves to it forever.

Now you will all notice if you re-read my post before that I originally said before rabid replied that this was ASSUMING we followed EA/Westwoods live schedule when I said what I said. We might end up patching bi-weekly by the time all is said and done. It's hard to say for sure until it's "done". The content folks have wanted to follow the storyline since the content teams were created.

The idea of storyline is not revealing it so as not to ruin it for those that want to experience it all again. We have considered that though, in fact its led to something in motion which you guys will see here in a few days. I won't give any other hint yet though.

All games have milestones, these are the ones we chose to follow because they're common to the games industry. While we don't have to follow it, we want to so we can gauge where we think we're at and how close we are to being "done" so to speak.

I think there needs to be a clear communication of what the story plan is, and what items/mobs/sectors do or don't fit into the current story point.

There are currently many inconsistencies.

If we're sticking to "story" then why is the Tada-O gate open right now when there's no V'rix? Didn't they both exist at the same time? I recall the original Tada-O raids involved attacking the gate and killing named Ten-Gu in Cooper space. It wasn't until much later that it became a sector.

Why were Brimstone Ballistas allowed into the game and then not subsequently removed? Aren't they DT content? Conversely, while items like the Solar Sail 7/8 and Dung Flinger weren't intended to be available during that short stint of uber-roidness, why were they removed from inventories and build lists when the Brimstone Ballistas were left in? There seems to be some hidden jockeying for what items do or don't get removed to support the "storyline."

As far as I know, the Ghost of Black Beard was never a mob in live, and sorely needs balancing. Right now his drops are some of the best in the game, far exceeding some of the late game patch content from the live storyline. Being available now feels unbalanced and detrimental to the continuation of story content.

And with no V'rix mobs at all right now, why do we still see V'rix related drops like the CH1NN2LFL4W? With Ardus closed, why are Dark Matter enriched ores available in roid fields? These were only available in Ardus during live.

This isn't a criticism post, just one pointing out that inconsistencies in the current game implementation may lead folks to incorrect assumptions on exactly what the intended "storyline" is meant to be. I'm not asking for things to get removed, just that some exposure of the plan would be nice. If we go on the premise that we're all testers in the building/recreation of a game, then I think it's valid for everyone to have some better understanding of where things are planned to go.

I'm sure this can be done without revealing spoilers.

Thanks for reading this far.

P.S. Happy Turkey day to all the folks in the States!

Most of those inconsistencies came from things being opened earlier than intended by developers who weren't following the plans in place at the time. I don't know why the fishbowl is open, I attribute it to what I said previously but how would everyone react if we were to slam it shut now? They would be very highly upset and I can understand it because it's one of the few end game areas. In terms of loot, i'm not familiar with these ballistae, what are they exactly and what did they come from?

GoBB was a mob created by the previous independent lead, and the time for balancing has not yet come. I suspect we're going to raise more ire when it does. That will be in beta as we ramp up to release. Now, in regards to "And with no V'rix mobs at all right now, why do we still see V'rix related drops like the CH1NN2LFL4W? With Ardus closed, why are Dark Matter enriched ores available in roid fields? These were only available in Ardus during live." I would say that you shouldn't, and they're relics of the original loot system where we just populated it with stuff to make sure it worked. If these are identified they would be removed. In regards to dark matter and other high-end loot being available from ores/hulks i can only speculate as Merlin was in charge and constantly told the rest of the team that he was in touch with the player base and knew exactly what they wanted. Since he was populating most of the ore in all of the sectors, I would suspect its a relic of his time working with the ore. They'll get removed too. We're not so strict about what appears because we're not constantly searching for things that shouldn't be there, we're trying to put the things in that SHOULD.

In regards to the next: Criticism is a good thing when you explain your feelings and not when you just attack which is what most people seem to be prone to doing. As long as it is constructive, the more the better. We want to open Mantis back to the public and let everyone contribute again but we have to make it clear that everyone will have to be very thorough. If you're not going to bother searching for similar/same bugs before posting, then you don't need to involve yourself as it would just make extra work. I am getting to rambling a bit, my apologies. Criticism is good, if phrased appropriately and well intentioned.

Also, much appreciated, happy turkey day back, even if it's not necessarily your thing where you live.

The "Pride" devices were in the game from day 1.

True, they do contain story content of the Red Dragon's, but history, not current events.

They were all dropped by rare mobs, such as Tatsu's Pride mob.

They should be added now imho. I have a list of who drops what and where, if needed.