RUMOUR: Devs - Squash or Confirm ST5/Player-wipe in December?

Some chat channels were abuzz this evening with rumours of an upcoming player-wipe/new stress test and/or advancing from ST 4 to one of the following:

"ST5" (Stress Test)

"Alpha Test"

"Beta Test"

"Pre-launch Testing"

Or whatever the official name of the next stage we will be moving to at some point (which might of course, involve a player-wipe).

I probably know a *little* better than to ask - but for the sake of putting a rumour to death (or otherwise converting it to Gospel Truthâ„¢) - I want to put this out to request an authoritative answer to this question, from Kyp, Tienbau, Kenu, etc. :

Will there be a player-wipe and an advancement to the next development stage for the emulator in December?

And before the online-equivalent of brickbats start to be hurled...

[insert standard disclaimer about this being a stress test and how a player wipe can happen at any time the developer team deems necessary]

We have absolutely no plans to move to Alpha (which would be the next logical stage) in December. This is definitely just a rumor. Additionally, there are no plans for a player wipe in the foreseeable future.

In short:

Nope and Nuh uh

We have absolutely no plans to move to Alpha (which would be the next logical stage) in December. This is definitely just a rumor. Additionally, there are no plans for a player wipe in the foreseeable future.

In short:

Nope and Nuh uh

Thanks, good to know, but even better to know that Alpha is tne next logical phase rather than another stress test. Thanks for the extra info.

Not sure how these rumors get started, but yes Cdel is definitely spot on. There's no plan to do any more wiping if it can be helped for certain. Even if we have a dev show up in the main room of TS and say something like that, we don't really mean it, its usually just a joke.

Let's put it this way for the future, if you don't see a post from an LDEV or Admin that says we're wiping, you can assume we're not and that its just a rumor. (Short of catastrophe with the db or something. :) )

A little off-topic but I thought I would ask. Who are the active devs, GM's, admin, etc right now? Or is that list pretty variable? A few people who have been MIA on the boards in a while like David, Suricata, Merlin, (I think I saw a post from Byakhee a couple weeks ago), anyone else I'm missing?

A little off-topic but I thought I would ask. Who are the active devs, GM's, admin, etc right now? Or is that list pretty variable? A few people who have been MIA on the boards in a while like David, Suricata, Merlin, (I think I saw a post from Byakhee a couple weeks ago), anyone else I'm missing?

I think Byakhee is still here and active (I think he lurks the game and CTDs me whenever I start to badmouth his missions)

I heard Merlin had a nasty computer crash and is having trouble getting back into game. (I really miss having him around)

Suricata may be taking a break (after imo totally messing up mobs and loot) He is active with 3D stuff as seen on his web page.

Not sure about David, think he may still be here... just busy??

All I know or think I know.

I think Byakhee is still here and active (I think he lurks the game and CTDs me whenever I start to badmouth his missions)

LOL I was talking about this with a toon in game the other day and we came up with CTB. Crash To Byakhee, its what happens when you are doing a progen mission and get stuck and need a GM to fix. :P

Just kidding B, please don't wipe my progens :unsure:

I just hope there won't be a player wipe at all (ever) but if there is we all will just have to deal with it and work to get everything all back again.

Edited by CptGemini

Sorry if I am just being stupid here, but are there two wipes? One the db is cleared of everything and we will need to re-start our toons inc. the names? And the other is we have all the toons we have created but have to start over from 0 on each? I have seen both types here.

Save early, save often :P

+1

I have been effective in getting my old guild mates to play the EMU.

Hi Lordfalcon and Eagleyes :unsure:

I am also currently trying to get my RL brothers to start playing this weekend.

The last thing I want them to see or have to tell them that all their work and time was for Naught.

No ST 5, There should be a guarantee of some sort like what is being said by Cdel and Kyp it

Would go a long way in retaining the support and winning back the players that have given up.

We all have played a MMORPG that did some sort of change, weather it be small or large and all the while maintaining character information and data, and all the while still collecting funds.

IMO, Put the safty precautions in place and go Alpha with the gaurantee

that everything possible will be done to Presever your / our efforts..

Do everything possible to preserve player data and Characters and items, Do it now because you will have too eventually.

Alpha, Beta and Live should have some sort of guarantee of character preservation.

Yes that is a large and scary step that any DEV or EMU would want to make but at some point it will have to be done..

The last thing You or the Community wants to see or hear from some sort of MMORPG or gaming Forum is "EnB EMU FAIL !"

Don't hate me for saying what others are thinking themselves or are affraid to say or ask.

Phorlaug...

Active content and code developers are something like this:

Kenu, Kyp, Byakhee, Evermore, Hexergirl, Riia, Tienbau, David, Peteburn, Webby. and maybe one or two I'm forgetting.

Suricata is bogged down with life at the moment, so evermore has taken over mob work and Merlin is around (he is on teamspeak often) but his computer is having problems with EnB. Hopefully that will get resolved soon.

Not sure about the active GM team or active Admins, but don't forget Cdel and Slayerman are helping too.

As far as wipes go, the next one will either be before beta or before live. We will only wipe when absolutely necessary, but if we don't wipe at certain times (like before beta) it might cause problems once we go live. We would prefer not to wipe before beta and will only do so if it is absolutely necessary. When that time approaches we will see if we have to.

What exactly would you like a guarantee of? that we won't wipe? or that we will only wipe when absolutely necessary?

Save early, save often :P

Oh we do now, ever since some of the past incidents we've made daily backups since, even if we were to go and delete the whole db right now, the farthest back you would go is 12:00am CET (think that's the right timezone) of the previous day. :unsure:

@Phorlaug:

I'll just put it this way, when we ask for people on the PTR, show up so that we get our testing needs to confirm things, and as long as that happens, there won't be another wipe until the day we go live barring some catastrophe that is somehow unrecoverable (like the simultaneous failure of 5 hard drives since we have a proper raid config with them now. Which of course would require teh datacenter to more or less be underwater....)

What exactly would you like a guarantee of? that we won't wipe? or that we will only wipe when absolutely necessary?

Your word or that of the EMU rather, that everything possible will be done to preserve or retreive your / our Characters

data when an unforseen event should occure.

Something like what Kyp is saying below Is good enough for me.

I'm all for leveling the playing field when starting a new permanent Character and server and we all know this Time it's serious "WE ARE LIVE" .

From what we see here and now, a wipe on a whim will never happen (slight exaggeration).

Oh we do now, ever since some of the past incidents we've made daily backups since, even if we were to go and delete the whole db right now, the farthest back you would go is 12:00am CET (think that's the right timezone) of the previous day. :unsure:

@Phorlaug:

I'll just put it this way, when we ask for people on the PTR, show up so that we get our testing needs to confirm things, and as long as that happens, there won't be another wipe until the day we go live barring some catastrophe that is somehow unrecoverable (like the simultaneous failure of 5 hard drives since we have a proper raid config with them now. Which of course would require teh datacenter to more or less be underwater....)

Kenu, Kyp thank you for being sincere and to the point, I know I feel a little more at ease.

Theres a little deja vu with this thread, it seems this may of been discussed on the last forum boards.

I remember saying the best thing for the players to do would be to map and record the location of their ore and mob fields.

So when we go live with our permanent characters on the stable server we'll be ready.

Phor....

Edited by Phorlaug

If I am understanding the above concerns.

People are looking for assurances that their current ST4 toons are saved somewhere and updated somewhat frequently so that if something crashes their characters can be restored.

I hope nobody is asking for their ST4, alpha, beta.. whatever is going to be preserved into LIVE. Once the testing is complete I personally expect a wipe.

I believe this is the case? Just skimmed above so if already confirmed/answered I didn't see it.

Thanks for all the hard work!

While I know there will be a wipe when we go to "live" I still wish there wouldn't be. I absolutely hate leveling in this game for the first 120 levels or so. I don't think I can force my self to start over for the 5th friggen time, even if the end game is still the ENB I love. I just don't think I can force myself to stick around that long.

While I know there will be a wipe when we go to "live" I still wish there wouldn't be. I absolutely hate leveling in this game for the first 120 levels or so. I don't think I can force my self to start over for the 5th friggen time, even if the end game is still the ENB I love. I just don't think I can force myself to stick around that long.

Well on the bright side, re-leveling you will be starting out with everyone at the same level and be able to group and play the game the way it was meant to be played. I just started recently and starting over for me wouldn't be bad at this point as compared to folks who have been here a while. I can see both sides of the arguement but if there isn't a wipe, there will not be many people actually leveling. Sort of how it is now. I like to group, even if I can solo and that's pretty much all anyone does due to the lack of lower level folks being on. A lot of unwillingness to group too with the limited amount of mobs available currently.