Happy New Year... and what the heck is going on around here? :)

Guest Victor Sheckels

Guest Victor Sheckels

Good evening. I worked with the emulator staff some time ago as part of the writing team (leader of it for awhile, in fact) and since I left I've been glancing in on the project every now and then when I think about it. It's been awhile. Everything looks completely different and it also seems like there's a new team. There are a few nuisances that appear to be gone now, but then I don't think I know (or maybe just don't remember) anyone either.

I'm curious what's up here and what the game currently looks like. How much programming/content is completed? Is it going to be a new game built on the old frame, or following the old story etc.? What's the current procedure for getting playing? Since I'm not really seeing any info that answers my questions I thought I'd just ask. My computer went poof so I'm running on an Ubuntu laptop musing as to whether I could get this thing running on WINE, or whether I might start up in a couple weeks when I get my gaming computer online.

Any info would be appreciated.

As always, you all have my thanks and my respect for your efforts on this project and I hope I find a closer orbit here.

Namaste,

Victor "StarSeeker" Sheckels.

One new guy to another, you download and install the EnB client, plus the character and starship creator, plus the latest EnB patch, plus the Net7 loader in that order from the forum (https://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/forum/91-downloads/). You will need .NET 2.0 for the Net7 app too, but you will not need the Net7 tools, just the launcher.

Edit: you may need to install the Character Creator first so that the EnB installation picks it up? not sure, but I installed mine after the EnB client, and I can't import characters into the game :D

You register for the Stress Test at http://www.net-7.org/stresstest/ using your forum name/pass and confirm via the email you get.

Then you launch the game via the Net7 loader, select the only server you can, it auto-does the rest, and you're on!

Check out the -noclassrestrictions option on the Character and Starship creator - it grants you access to the 3 NEW CLASSES WOOT!!! You need to use the arrows to change professions for them to show up, just FYI.

Also, you might need import the char into the game or something, not sure how that works. I'm actually here looking for information on that atm.

See you in game!

To get the extra classes, install Character and starship creator.

then on desktop icon right click-> properties left click

Then in target add - ( -noclassrestrictions) without bracket and including space to end.

So mine went from - "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\Character and Starship Creator\Character and Starship Creator.exe"

To this ----------- "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\Character and Starship Creator\Character and Starship Creator.exe" -noclassrestrictions

Now when you get to select your class use the arrows to bring other characters around , there will be no speech from Megan.

One last thing you must have empty slot in your character selection to have it be created.

If you haven't played game yet this won't be an issue. Plus you have the advantage that when we have another wipe your same looking characters will be there just back at lvl 0, no need to do it all again.

If you have quickly make a dummy character first time through then you can select which slot will hold your character.

Good Luck and see you in game.

To get the extra classes, install Character and starship creator.

then on desktop icon right click-> properties left click

Then in target add - ( -noclassrestrictions) without bracket and including space to end.

So mine went from - "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\Character and Starship Creator\Character and Starship Creator.exe"

To this ----------- "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\Character and Starship Creator\Character and Starship Creator.exe" -noclassrestrictions

Now when you get to select your class use the arrows to bring other characters around , there will be no speech from Megan.

One last thing you must have empty slot in your character selection to have it be created.

If you haven't played game yet this won't be an issue. Plus you have the advantage that when we have another wipe your same looking characters will be there just back at lvl 0, no need to do it all again.

If you have quickly make a dummy character first time through then you can select which slot will hold your character.

Good Luck and see you in game.

Just to clarify, since I (probably like most people) found out about the extra classes in game, the way you make one of those characters on a pre-existing installation is to:

• go through the character creator and make 1 char
  • at the end, click on a slot that is not occupied in your game and make a character in that slot.
  • Then that char will show up in that slot in game?

Edit: apparently not, I made a char in Slot 5 of the Char creator, and it doesn't show in game. Do you have to do the char creator first, then install?

Just to clarify, since I (probably like most people) found out about the extra classes in game, the way you make one of those characters on a pre-existing installation is to:

• go through the character creator and make 1 char
  • at the end, click on a slot that is not occupied in your game and make a character in that slot.
  • Then that char will show up in that slot in game?

As long as your character and starship creator utility is installed in your main game client directory as it should be, and there's no character occupying the slot on our server where you make it on the creator, it will appear as "Character #x" where x = the slot number. Click it, name it, and you're on! :D

As long as your character and starship creator utility is installed in your main game client directory as it should be, and there's no character occupying the slot on our server where you make it on the creator, it will appear as "Character #x" where x = the slot number. Click it, name it, and you're on! :)

This doesn't seem to be working for me. My chars on the Character Creator seem to be wiped the next time I start the Char Creator. I've just completed making 5 chars, restarted the Char Creator, and they're gone again.

Any ideas?

Edit: you do need to install the separate Character Creator instead of using the one that comes with the patch. It works fine now and I'm having fun playing my Terran Scout :P

well our coders haven't really changed other than some of them going inactive, our content team has changed drastically. It was very small back in the day but now is a bit larger. Most of the changes were due to inactivity as well. A lot of times people just become busy and don't have time to volunteer.

The content team was restructured to work in teams after many instances of stepping on toes made us realize we had to split up the work. That might be why it looks so different

basically we have every major concept working except jobs, but we still have to code improvements to systems like mission completions, mob AI, and scripting for raids and such.

storyline should not be discussed in public to avoid spoiling the story.

It may look drastically different because we lost our forums when one of our servers crashed several weeks ago. These are our new ones.

and yes I do remember you :D

Okay so then getting into the game isn't any different than it was, except for multiplayer being semi-open now? Nice.

@Kenu: Noted. By the sound of things, you've got the game what, 80% done on mechanics and by the look of some maps I've seen maybe similar progress on sectors? What about quest lines and story development and stuff? If you have spoilers--or a compendium or something--please feel free to send these to me privately. victorsheckels at teh geemailz dot com. (Take that, phishbots!) I'd love to dive back in here once I get my new computer fully up and running (by that I mean join the team again)... :P

Suppose I should register in here eh? LOL

• 1 month later...

Just a tip:

Make a back-up of the files in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Westwood Studios\Earth and Beyond\Character and Starship Creator"

Avatar1.dat is the character in slot 1.

Make all the chars you want, And Restore them whenever needed... Like after a char wipe.

I'd be interested in volunteering time for content development, mission and plot writing - especially for the Terran Scout or Red Dragon material, if needed (TS is in need of some mission love, methinks).

If one if y'all powers that be see this, please feel free to PM me here or in game - the two toons in the sigs below are what I play the most.

Just a tip:

Make a back-up of the files in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Westwood Studios\Earth and Beyond\Character and Starship Creator"

Avatar1.dat is the character in slot 1.

Make all the chars you want, And Restore them whenever needed... Like after a char wipe.

Where are these files in Vista?

I don't have a folder named Westwood Studios. My Character and Starship Creator application is located in C:/Program Files/EA GAMES/Earth & Beyond/Character and Starship Creator.

That is where the application is, yes. But they were referring to the saved output files, which are named AvatarX.dat (where X is the slot number 1-5). These are the files that contain the character/starship data which EnB will import. In Vista they'll be in the "C:\ProgramData\" path, while in XP they're in the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\" path, which is where you'll find the Westwood Studios folder.