MINERS - please respond - cherry picking

Guest Builder

Make the high level ores in a field more likely to be the ones that pop if the lower level ores are not taken from a roid first?

Level 4 roid

3 x level 3 ores

2 x level 4 ores

1 x level 5 ores

if the order of mining was the level 3, then 4, then 5, you'd have low chance of popping the roid. If you went straight for the level 5 then you would have a high chance of popping the roid. Reward players that clear as they are going along and make things harder for the high level removers. Remember some roids popped had benefitial effects and others didn't.

[Work Computer]

Cherrypicking is a playstyle and by all means it is the "path of least resistance" for mining.

And because it is by far the most effective and lucrative way of mining guess what - anyone who is not bound by "community morals" doesent give a toss how much whining happens on forums.

In fact, with this amount of whining I would cherrypick more because some people seem to take this so seriously that I bet they would play their miner less because of it. Less miners flying about is only good for yourself :)

Keep up the cherrypicking because it's obviously working ;)

• Downvote 1

Remember some roids popped had benefitial effects and others didn't.

[Work Computer]

Eeeeps. The return of teh evil popping roids...!

In live, I seem to recall 99.57% of the popper roids usually contained a mob some 10 CL's higher than my JE, that could usually one-shot me before I could warp away lol

Since the server is down atm, I thought I'd entertain myself with the drama unfolding here...

Yeah, I voted in the poll too. (#4 on both questions) It always amazes me when people get all twisted up about one thing or another, but this is wonderfdully rediculous! I mine ALOT, so I've found a couple things that make my day more enjoyable. Perhaps it will work for you too!

First, if there is another person in the field, try inviting them to your group! This game is designed for group play, so you get a bonus for grouping! (amazing huh?) Besides... you might even make a new friend!

Next, ask if that person is looking for anything specific, and try to help them out!! For instance: If you dont need or want the titanium, and they do... SAVE IT FOR THEM! Maybe helping others rather than bitchin will make everyones day go a little smoother!

All that being said, if you're after specific ores, just go get em! Don't let anyone else tell you how to play!

When you go to the market, is it rude to take only one chicken from the meat cooler? Am I rude for taking the chicken you wanted because I got to the store first? Please people...

So if you happen to come accross me, (The blonde in the big black ship with the sails on it) ask for an invite! lets have fun! But if you complain and get bitchy you will get a polite dismissal and if that doesnt work we move on to the ignore list.

It's late and I'm not going to read this whole thing, to be honest...

In live, 'cherry picking' didn't bother me... I wouldn't rush for that sweet lv9 grail water if another player was around and not rushing for it, but if they were, then the race was on... and that roid would respawn eventually anyway.

But this isn't live..

The whole deal about having to clear an entire field before any single roid respawns changes the mechanics...

Haven't prospected enough since that change, around others, for it to be an issue, but then I've not hardly prospected since ST3 ended either...

No opinion yet, with that in mind, just wanted to mention that point for those not familiar with prospecting, or don't prospect that often.

• 4 months later...

First, if there is another person in the field, try inviting them to your group! This game is designed for group play, so you get a bonus for grouping! (amazing huh?) Besides... you might even make a new friend!

Next, ask if that person is looking for anything specific, and try to help them out!! For instance: If you dont need or want the titanium, and they do... SAVE IT FOR THEM! Maybe helping others rather than bitchin will make everyones day go a little smoother!

This reminded me of some things I forgot from live... inviting another miner in the same field to a group was always easy to do and always a win win... and I can also recall needing different things and doing exactly that... trading off ores and getting done in half the time...

I don't like the options. I feel like "cherry picking" is a very broad term and can have many meanings. There's also so many different scenarios that could explain why someone was unintentionally cherry picking. For instance, I may not see you if they rocks are spread out. Typically I will apologize and move on once I see you - unless you're someone that irritates me in chat and then I'll just move along and cuss at my monitor.

I think if there are other people in a field and you come along looking for particular ores for whatever your reason is, then you should be considerate to the person/people already in the filed and either ask if it's ok for you to snag XYZ or move along to an empty field. Otherwise, if there's no one there, who cares?

I cherry pick all the time if I need something specific and there's no one else in the field. In fact just the other day I was looking for grail water and went to 13 different fields and never ran across a single other player. The more I think about it, I cannot remember the last time that I've ever seen a person in another field outside of Glenn - and I do a LOT of mining.

And JE's you have to remember a couple of things. If you're cloak mining, chances are, no one can see you - especially a lower lvl Progen. So don't throw a hissy fit if someone else starts mining. Also, you have very low signatures. This makes it very difficult to see you if you're not cloaked when you're in a field that has things spread apart 17K from both ends - If you're on one side and I'm the other, most likely I am not going to see you.

I didnt vote cuz the first question needs another choice... I love to vote in polls... but really this poll will never accomplish its goal imo cuz some people will by pass the vote due to poor filtered choices... you need an all of the above choice imo...

anytime you leave an ore in a roid for any reason imo you cherry picked it... but also imho and keep in mind that except for the sole tt I will make to build me stuff... ALL my toons are miners... and imo its a players right to pick and choose at their discretion what they will and wont mine from a roid.

unless I am missing some options here, I can only think of 2 reasons why a person would not like a cherry picker

1. they wanted those resources

2. xp bonuses (which btw if you are a role player you have no right to worry about as a role player would not know what xp is :D )

In both of those cases I say too bad on you... if you wanted resources and someone else got them oh well... and sorry but its not my job to max out your xp so oh well...

Keep in mind that the devs could easily take away this freedom to cherry pick by locking a roid so while this debate is age old a consensus is also pointless unless we are going to make a new kind of server in addition to the pve server, the pvp server, and now introducing the NO Cherry Picking Server (which we would interestingly enough combine with the no multi-box/macro server lol).

My vote goes here, back in live my JE mined what he needed. It didnt matter too much back then as fields respawned faster than you could mine them (unless their was a bunch of JE/PS's also rapein the field), and the cherry picked roids vanished after a while. Their were the few that complained (mostly because you beat them to the last crystal containing discordite/appolonite in scan range), but then their were many other places to go mine if their were people cherry picking at your usual belt.

Hello,

You guys are funny! You are all bickering about something I am doing away with! I am adding 3 to 4 times the amount of ores that are in each sector, splitting up the ores into 2 sub groups so that there should never be a reason to totally fill up your cargo holds while mining. The "Only" time you should ever 'Cherry pick" is if you need a sertin ore for a mission! I for one never have cherry picked a field as it is almost just as fast to pull all the ores as it is to wade thru them. I will say that once poppers start going into a field you will be in for some surprises if you pull out one ore and move on! That ore you just left behind might just become a rock monster and eat your ship! lol TTYL :-)

Merlin

I will say that once poppers start going into a field you will be in for some surprises if you pull out one ore and move on! That ore you just left behind might just become a rock monster and eat your ship!

Can foresee so much fun turning ore fields into mob clusters with that :)

Can foresee so much fun turning ore fields into mob clusters with that :)

Then they better be chickens cause da fox is still hungry, and for all you other miners out there, if ya cherry pick i dont care, just dont cherry pick the chickens!! Da fox is still hungry :)

As roids appear they have multi levels of ores in them and a many of times I have tried to clear a field for a bonus . Example: I was clearing a level 6 field that had a few 7s in it to have an 8 be in a roid that I could not mine. <now can do an 8 but take 70% of reactor to do> now its a field that's buts up with a 9 roid that stops me from clearing a field. :) also a side note , while being the only one in a field I have based it to store the 'loot' and came back to roid field to finish the cherry picked one that I didn't have room for and they were gone and field had re-spawned also sometimes hearing roids spawn while trying to get a field emptied , so no idea individual roid spawns as well as whole full field re-spawns <that too have seen while basing it and returning> and come back to have all the contents changed. In live I had a roid that I was doing the old one at a time shuffle to have it change on me and ores refilled , but now find a lot of empty roids mostly crystal so no way to clear fields :D

Kta JE miner 1st JStarter and will try to make mean :)but builds will come last

<so far all the Kta---- names have been mine but the kids play the mules and will get Kta out if need for a JS or KtauncleTT out for protection>

• 3 weeks later...

As roids appear they have multi levels of ores in them and a many of times I have tried to clear a field for a bonus . Example: I was clearing a level 6 field that had a few 7s in it to have an 8 be in a roid that I could not mine. <now can do an 8 but take 70% of reactor to do> now its a field that's buts up with a 9 roid that stops me from clearing a field. :) also a side note , while being the only one in a field I have based it to store the 'loot' and came back to roid field to finish the cherry picked one that I didn't have room for and they were gone and field had re-spawned also sometimes hearing roids spawn while trying to get a field emptied , so no idea individual roid spawns as well as whole full field re-spawns <that too have seen while basing it and returning> and come back to have all the contents changed. In live I had a roid that I was doing the old one at a time shuffle to have it change on me and ores refilled , but now find a lot of empty roids mostly crystal so no way to clear fields :D

Kta JE miner 1st JStarter and will try to make mean :)but builds will come last

<so far all the Kta---- names have been mine but the kids play the mules and will get Kta out if need for a JS or KtauncleTT out for protection>

currently some of the asteroids appear "empty" but if you click on the first box like you normally would you can mine what's there.

Hello,

You guys are funny! You are all bickering about something I am doing away with! I am adding 3 to 4 times the amount of ores that are in each sector, splitting up the ores into 2 sub groups so that there should never be a reason to totally fill up your cargo holds while mining. The "Only" time you should ever 'Cherry pick" is if you need a sertin ore for a mission! I for one never have cherry picked a field as it is almost just as fast to pull all the ores as it is to wade thru them. I will say that once poppers start going into a field you will be in for some surprises if you pull out one ore and move on! That ore you just left behind might just become a rock monster and eat your ship! lol TTYL :-)

Merlin

This topic is kind of crossing over into the other thread about mining thoughts.

However the expression; "you can make some of the people happy some of the time, but not all the people happy all the time," comes to mind.

I remember warping into fields in live that had critters from pop rocks in them due to people either cloaking or warping away instead of killing them. They would leave them for the next person to deal with.

I could warp into a field and not get the clear bonus because someone has just left due to a pop rock and the field is partially cleared. Scenario two is I don't get the bonus because the rock popped and I can't kill the critter or by the time I get some help to the field has respawned.

Keep in mind also some of us *raises hand* level our combat last, so we may have good explore and/or trade levels but our combat is low so we may not be able to handle a mob our "level" as efficiently as someone who levels combat first, keeps their combat/explore/trade semi-balanced while leveling, or is in a group with someone with good combat levels.

On a side note a person with a miner that just mines for component minerals will not mine the same way as we "miners" do, they won't be as prone to clear a field but look for what they need and move on (again impacting field clear bonus for a miner who doesn't know the field was just picked through). Hence my suggestion in the other thread to either increase the explore xp per asteroid/gas cloud (which could prompt more mining/combat parties) and/or increase the trade for refining. I miss the combat/mining parties :-(

I lose track with all these cherry picker posts and threads over the years... but you know if you just gave a clear bonus on a per roid basis... this whole subject would be gone for good... cuz then if a person cherry picked and didnt clear... that would be a gift to the next miner who has to take less ores outta a roid for the bonus...

personally while leveling... I will never cherry pick... but once I hit el50 or if I need certain ores for a build or mission I will always cherry pick just what I need... and screw you and your mother (unless your progen) if you are gonna toss a popper at me cuz I just needed ammo ores and thats all I took...

fix the real problem... if there were no clear bonus on a per field level then this argument is moot... although I guess it would still exsist... cuz in reality... the reason people hate cherry pickers is cuz I took the ore you wanted and left you with junk... awwwwwww /cry

/edit maybe I should stop cherry picking the boss/named mobs as well during combat... hmmm

Edited by Avani

ok first, why don't I have 'permission' to vote on this poll? (or any, it seems)

Second, "cherry picking" isn't griefing, it's just annoying, since if the "best" ores are all removed, what is supposed to be a level 5 field might only be a 4 by the time someone else arrives. This messes it up for the serious miners who clean out an asteroid belt completely.

Second, "cherry picking" isn't griefing, it's just annoying, since if the "best" ores are all removed, what is supposed to be a level 5 field might only be a 4 by the time someone else arrives. This messes it up for the serious miners who clean out an asteroid belt completely.

actually what might be a L7-9 field is just an 8-9 field as its most likely that the ammo ores are gone at L7... so I guess we didnt mess it up that bad after all :)

now where is that damn maid to clean out the rest of the field for me... ... ... and lets get something straight once again... everybody EVERYBODY cherry-picks at one time or another... and anyone that doesnt is a liar...

ok here is another idea... make all ores of a certain level sell at vendor either raw or refined for the exact same amount of credits... so this way the "serious" miners who are just in it to mine will always get the same xp and credits... how does that sound...

Or have a despawn timer on a 'roid that starts the first time any ore of any kind is pulled from it, then if it's not emptyed in 5 min, it goes away, for another 'roid to spawn in it's place.

This could have an adverse effect:

If there is a time between the despawning of the roid and the respawning - this method could be used for effective field clearing as you would only cherry pick roids for the whole field to collapse.

But if there is no time between the despawning and respawning, you could use this mechanic to effectively despawn roids that do not contain favourable ores. So it will probably create more cherry picking than ever.

Perhaps we can combine this thread with "thoughts on mining"?

The thoughts and responses do crossover with what is posted there. Prospecting is directly affected by playstyle and "needs" in game.

As I stated in other thread we need to be mindful of different play styles, need, and rl issues that can affect gameplay. This was an issue in live that was addressed by asteroid despawning after a period of time. The cherry picking issue is more of taking needed ore vs taking it all and leaving others with "leftovers." If I remember correctly asteroids would "despawn" after a period of time if anything was taken from it.

Perhaps we should address the real irritation which is; "people are taking what I want before I can get to it" and "I can't fully clear all the ores, because the good ones are already gone." Which really boil down to different play styles, so how do we address it to keep everyone happy?

Suggestions have been; 1 make it asteroid clear bonus vs field clear bonus 2 have asteroids despawn if anything is taken and items are left in them 3 increase ores to meed "need" 4 more pure fields of "single level ores"

Some of these will help, but again some will only increase the irritation because if you have "pure" fields they will become camped and a point of more argument.

Perhaps the best fit might be to make it more explore xp and remove the bonus. This way mining will be more like combat/trade xp (neither get bonuses). Miners will be prone to take everything as opposed to the "choice" ores and if they don't whoever cleans it gets the xp. If asteroids respawn independently of the "whole field" it would allow more people access at that field and remove the argument of "its gone when I get there" or "my field I started it and want the bonus" or "I didn't get the bonus because someone took ores" and would give those levelling explore more access to the xp perhaps even get more mining/combat groups going.

Well, last night I ended up cherry picking myself. I needed to collect 100 Wreckage Slag in under 4 hours for my HU. There was no way I was going to get that much clearing whole belts. So in that case it's justifiable I guess.

Maybe we should start CPA meetings...

Hello... My name is Zyrith... And I'm a cherry picker! *sobs*

• Upvote 2