Many more jobs on mission terminals

sirmorte

Sadly, there are far too few jobs on mission terminals. Many times I will go to a terminal to find no or few jobs. When you consider that our test popuation isn't that big, this will become a big problem in the works. Trust me, no one likes to stand by a mission terminal and wait for jobs to repopulate. I strongly suggest that you substantially increase the jobs available at the terminal.

If this isn't doable, how about adding a number of high experience jobs for repeatable missions,which I would like even better. Most mission esperience, other than the High Earth supply and combat missions, have pathetic rewards for the time and work involved. Everyone is doing Fenrus=Sumerled runs or some job terminals. Few players are doing missions, especially if they find these to be not worth the work. If we add a lot more repeatable mission NPCs, this would open up more possibilities. Again, you have to give a sizeable reward in exp or items for players to take these.

Even better: have missions geared to a set plot line. This would make it more interesting to do;however, the rewards have to be worth the work or everyone will still do the tedious trade runs and terminal jobs.

I don't know that this question has ever really been answered. Why is there just a limited number of missions that spawn at a time? IIRC from live, there used to be several pages of jobs in each terminal, you could just only take so many at a time.

As it stands now two people can take all the jobs available from the terminal I try to run jobs from (lvl50 combat jobs from Aganju?). That's with the second person having to wait for the respawn to fill up their mission allotment.

Job system has been a work in progress for a while and will be again when the developers get the time.

I have not done many jobs in the current system that the emulator uses but the XP reward in my opinion was pretty darned good taking into account the completion bonus XP. But I couldn't do jobs endlessly even if they were persistent across disconnections - personally I'd rather do a variety of other stuff.

I remember in live staring at a blank terminal too waiting for the refresh. And when there were jobs, waiting for the right ones to become available and take them. And the large groups of characters that were always standing around the terminals waiting for jobs were a feature.

If the job terminal is getting you down try something else.

;)

Job terminals still need some work, but having them in their current state is, IMO, way better than not having them.

While I agree that having the jobs working is GREAT, more jobs or more general missions would be nice. :blink:

---------- Edit ---------------

Had a thought as I pushed the Save button... How about adding additional jobs (that are not level or race/class specific) at the terminals that have none now. These could be mini missions for gear, ores, credits (aye, credits not really needed atm.)

Edited by Mimir

While I agree that having the jobs working is GREAT, more jobs or more general missions would be nice. :blink:

---------- Edit ---------------

Had a thought as I pushed the Save button... How about adding additional jobs (that are not level or race/class specific) at the terminals that have none now. These could be mini missions for gear, ores, credits (aye, credits not really needed atm.)

We're pretty much in agreement, I think that every job terminal in every station that has them should ultimately have jobs and more than one level of jobs. I'm just happy that there are jobs at all, but I agree that refreshes should give way more jobs than they do.

The premier job spots will remain those that are near the JE's wormhole destinations either in where you start, where you finish, or both. Aragoth Station L100 jobs in Live were the most popular ones because of their destinations near the ABB and Jupiter whs and their start near the VT wh. Depending on the jobs available there, Aragoth Station will likely be popular again simply because of it's location near the weft in VT.

Your idea in the edit is pretty good IMO, whether it's done via terminals or NPCs.

• 2 weeks later...

I would actually like to see the number of jobs you can take be limited to one, while increasing the amount of XP granted by the job to an amount equal to the current max of six (or whatever amount is determined to be balanced). Trade jobs at the moment are frustrating because even if you get them all to the same pick-up destination, you end up having to transport the people you're ferrying all over the place. This would also be great for when tons of people are working job terminals without having to have 5-6 pages of jobs for people to scramble for.

One change I would like to see, if it's not already the case, is that Trade & Combat jobs also give faction improvement with their sponsor, like the Explore jobs do. Currently, IMO, Explore jobs are the best they give you specific destinations as to where your satellites or garbage are dropped, both trade & explore expierence, and positive faction with the job's sponsor.

Currently the flaw with the Trade missions, which in Live were actually the best missions, is that if you get a trade mission it doesn't say both where you pick up the person and where you deliver them to. In Live they said in cases of one way trade routes, "Deliver the passengers/diplomat/supplies etc, to X destination" You would then receive said cargo when you took the mission. For the round trip missions they would say "Go to X and pick up your carge, and return it to Y" Y being the base where you took the mission, X being the pickup point for round trip missions.

IMO it would be fine for Trade missions to get them at base X, go to base Y to pick up your cargo, and take said cargo to base Z. I suggest simply changing what the mission job description says, sso that when you take a job, it says where station Y & Z are. Positive faction with sponsor should be added as part of the reward IMO, otherwise I think they're fine.

Combat joba aren't as vital as the other 2 jobs in terms of obtaining combat XP, but they should remain for those who wish to do them. In live they also awarded some Explore XP upon completion. Perhaps that and a positive faction adjustment for completion should be added.

Kyp, then why not the same missions? Frankly, who cares how many people drop off trash or satelite to the same planet? Thus, they would be repeatable missions on job terminals and available to everyone.

Kyp, then why not the same missions? Frankly, who cares how many people drop off trash or satelite to the same planet? Thus, they would be repeatable missions on job terminals and available to everyone.

No no, I mean just more being listed. I'm not against them being added. I was just dropping a very vague hint that job lists are in part responsible for some of the lag people have experienced, though it's already being fixed now.

No no, I mean just more being listed. I'm not against them being added. I was just dropping a very vague hint that job lists are in part responsible for some of the lag people have experienced, though it's already being fixed now.

Is/was there an issue with the database getting queried too often over and over trying to populate the job terminals?

Is/was there an issue with the database getting queried too often over and over trying to populate the job terminals?

No the one that was identified has to do with the job list being built, it was getting a little spammy from what was let on, hard to explain exactly but it had to do with the new list being generated at the end of each timer.

If the job refresh is causing some lag could we possibly remedy it by making the job list semi-static? We could introduce a player-specific job timer so when a certain job is accepted you can't accept that job again for a certain time. This is so people can't grab the same exact job over and over again and have just one waypoint to go to... 5 min should be long/short enough.

If the job refresh is causing some lag could we possibly remedy it by making the job list semi-static? We could introduce a player-specific job timer so when a certain job is accepted you can't accept that job again for a certain time. This is so people can't grab the same exact job over and over again and have just one waypoint to go to... 5 min should be long/short enough.

More timers would be exponentially worse. B) (that's the root of the problem, I believe.)

Personally I think that "you must wait X minutes before taking another job" is a bad thing. It only increases the time each player has to spend at the job terminal. IMO such timers would only result in job terminal camping like there was in Live particularily at the terminals in Aragoth Station & Net-7 SOL.

Personally I think that "you must wait X minutes before taking another job" is a bad thing. It only increases the time each player has to spend at the job terminal. IMO such timers would only result in job terminal camping like there was in Live particularily at the terminals in Aragoth Station & Net-7 SOL.

If the job list was static it wouldn't be a problem. But Kyp has already shot that idea down. B)

If the job list was static it wouldn't be a problem. But Kyp has already shot that idea down. B)

Whether it's static or not, you will have people waiting, needlessly, around the terminals, when they could simply get their quota of 6 jobs and be gone. If the list is static, and as many people can grab that job as they want, what's the point of putting a wait timer in? Having to wait, for no good reason, is something players will simply find annoying.

Whether it's static or not, you will have people waiting, needlessly, around the terminals, when they could simply get their quota of 6 jobs and be gone. If the list is static, and as many people can grab that job as they want, what's the point of putting a wait timer in? Having to wait, for no good reason, is something players will simply find annoying.

You could still get 6 different jobs... Just like you do now. The timer would be for each individual selectable job.

You could still get 6 different jobs... Just like you do now. The timer would be for each individual selectable job.

Why would anyone other than a JE want to get 6 different jobs, unless they had the same or nearby destinations? For any player, JE included but more so with the 8 other classes, it's more efficent to have jobs to the same destination, or jobs whose destinations are all fairly close together.

In Live even with the annoying timers, people still got jobs from VT to either N7, DCO, or ECS Dauntless, all of which are within 2 gates of each other, and all of which were within 1 gate of the JE's ABB wh destination.

Can you select the same EXACT job now? No, you cannot. It disappears from the terminal once it's taken. If the jobs were static and did not disappear then you could select the same job over and over again six times. The timer would stop that from happening if we were to go to a static, non-respawning list of jobs.

Can you select the same EXACT job now? No, you cannot. It disappears from the terminal once it's taken. If the jobs were static and did not disappear then you could select the same job over and over again six times. The timer would stop that from happening if we were to go to a static, non-respawning list of jobs.

If I select 2 jobs that are deploy satellite at Vio in Antares, what difference does it make if they're the exact same job or not? I'm still doing 2 jobs that require the exact same thing. The only potential difference is which faction I get improved, IF the same job is sponsored by 2 different factions. Why should I have to wait several minutes after the first deploy sat job to get the second?

Maybe the answer is to add repeatable missions to NPCs that will give at least the same experience or better. This has two advantages:

1. It shouldn't affect lag

2. There would be no wait in getting the missions

3. Developers can provide plots with some of these missions. I love plots. Thus, they can have "find the traitor mission" that requires inteveiwing several NPCs. They can Require short deliveries similar to what occurs on High earth that provides both explore and trade experience.