After user / password... game crashes to desktop

Tredo

Ok first off... hello everyone!

This is amazing, I loved this game in live and like many of you played till the moment the servers died... and sat there for a little while wondering... 'What am I going to do now?'

Anyways, this is great to see all the hard work you guys are putting into the game.

So I installed everything, patched, and everything is working great. Got my first character made, then was doing some more reading and added the character and ship builder. Went into that, went all the way through it like Silver told me, and created and deleted the first one, then in slot 5 created a new character. Keep in mind I only have 1 in game thus far so slot 5 is for sure clear.

When I load up the game, every time, even after about 10 attempts, after user name and password the game crashes to desktop. The game was running fine before, got in game, flew around a little, walked around some.. so I know the game runs fine on my system, something about the C&SB that is causing the game to crash.

Windows Vista 64bit, 2.8 dual core intel processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 9800m GTS 1GB dedicated card, this machine will run anything on high or very high settings. I know its not the machine. After doing the config I get around 180 FPS with everything turned up.

Any help would be great....

Ok first off... hello everyone!

This is amazing, I loved this game in live and like many of you played till the moment the servers died... and sat there for a little while wondering... 'What am I going to do now?'

Anyways, this is great to see all the hard work you guys are putting into the game.

So I installed everything, patched, and everything is working great. Got my first character made, then was doing some more reading and added the character and ship builder. Went into that, went all the way through it like Silver told me, and created and deleted the first one, then in slot 5 created a new character. Keep in mind I only have 1 in game thus far so slot 5 is for sure clear.

When I load up the game, every time, even after about 10 attempts, after user name and password the game crashes to desktop. The game was running fine before, got in game, flew around a little, walked around some.. so I know the game runs fine on my system, something about the C&SB that is causing the game to crash.

Windows Vista 64bit, 2.8 dual core intel processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Nvidia 9800m GTS 1GB dedicated card, this machine will run anything on high or very high settings. I know its not the machine. After doing the config I get around 180 FPS with everything turned up.

Any help would be great....

Posted back on your original post under the download topic. See that response to prevent a repeat. :(

Posted back on your original post under the download topic. See that response to prevent a repeat. :blink:

Still getting the same error, if I do a complete uninstall and reinstall it works fine, till I restart my computer then I have to start all over again.

Still getting the same error, if I do a complete uninstall and reinstall it works fine, till I restart my computer then I have to start all over again.

Server's currently down, buddy. seems to have -just- crashed. shame too. I just found out about this emu today, and was, back in the day, a -rabid- EnB player (pegasus galaxy, had a terran Enforcer, and a sweet Progen Warrior who seemed almost OP)

Server's currently down, buddy. seems to have -just- crashed. shame too. I just found out about this emu today, and was, back in the day, a -rabid- EnB player (pegasus galaxy, had a terran Enforcer, and a sweet Progen Warrior who seemed almost OP)

Welcome Muse, I just got it downloaded and played today for about 3 hours.... its great to be home!

Guest Miyamoto

Hi,

I have the same problem here. My solution right now is to delete the net7 directory and reinstall net7. It take 3 minutes with the 2 phases of updating, and then, I can logon again. I'm obliged to do that sequence everytime I want to play.

CU

Muse, are you the Muse that I knew, from the French United guild?

Hi,

I have the same problem here. My solution right now is to delete the net7 directory and reinstall net7. It take 3 minutes with the 2 phases of updating, and then, I can logon again. I'm obliged to do that sequence everytime I want to play.

CU

Sorry man, my old handle for EnB was Anthem I think,

Hi,

CU

A simpler solution that works for me on one if my computers (only happens on one of the 4) is to click "Help" on the N7 launcher. Select "Advanced Settings" and click "Force Update" on the box that pops up. Reopen the N7 launcher and let it "update". Game works as advertised a that point. Takes about 15 seconds to accomplish all of that.

My neighbor fixed his by adding Everyone with Full Control to his permissions for the EnB and N7 folders, but that did not work for me. It seems to be an issue of the "authlogin" files corrupting on game exit, however, I haven't found a fix that works for me other than having the update re-run. Hope this helps some. At least, it should keep you from having to completely re-install your files again.

This is what I have to do every time I run the game now if I want to log in... any ideas why ?

Maybe one of the devs posted the wrong versions of files either inside the install package, or inside the update directory that the N7 launcher downloads from.

There's been way too many problems for people lately with this launcher, both with new players and old players alike. The launcher is borked. It needs to be replaced by something better anyways, that is more friendly to both useage, and custom content.

Maybe one of the devs posted the wrong versions of files either inside the install package, or inside the update directory that the N7 launcher downloads from.

There's been way too many problems for people lately with this launcher, both with new players and old players alike. The launcher is borked. It needs to be replaced by something better anyways, that is more friendly to both useage, and custom content.

The installer packages are old, and can't guess if those are the cause, but doubt it, also if that were the case, Ghent, it wouldn't update (in response to the update directory). No, the versions of these files are correct. In regards to the launcher, the problem has never been pinned down because it (as far as has been reported) doesn't happen to that many people.There is a new launcher in the works anyway.

If we could pin down what's causing it for you, we might be able to do something to fix it. So the first step to take care of is this: "Find the common thread."

With all of you affected, what Operating System does your PC run?

The installer packages are old, and can't guess if those are the cause, but doubt it, also if that were the case, Ghent, it wouldn't update (in response to the update directory). No, the versions of these files are correct. In regards to the launcher, the problem has never been pinned down because it (as far as has been reported) doesn't happen to that many people.There is a new launcher in the works anyway.

If we could pin down what's causing it for you, we might be able to do something to fix it. So the first step to take care of is this: "Find the common thread."

Vista 64bit, intel dual core 2.8 duo, 4 GB ddr3, Gforce 9800M GTS 1GB dedicated card.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same issue with crashing after user/login. I am able to get it to work after doing the 'Advanced Settings -> Force Update' then re-launching the N7 Launcher. I also noticed that the 'Current Version' in the updater states 'Version cannot be determined' for both 'NET7' and 'Earth Beyond'. As requested my brief specs are Win7 Ultimate 64bit on an I7 6GB Nvidia GTX480.

I am attaching my _except.txt file as this might help with the issue you are looking for. It is stating an Exception_Access_Violation with the Texture Loader Thread maybe, but thought you might want to check it out yourself.

Hope this helps and thanks!

-Greytech

_except.txt

_except.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Game crashes to desktop after typing Password + enter (with execptions belove)

This started after i installed Win 7 Pro 64bit. Did a full update of Win 7, then installed EnB.

Ive tried every available resolution in the ENBconfig program (from 800x600 to 1920x1200, 17 res in total) and found out that these worked on my system:

800x600

1280x720

1152x720

Neither makes the game look pretty, and icons in terminals are blurry as hell.

Computer: AMD Athlon x2 250, 4GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 1GB.

Played the game on the same comuter using WinXP Pro 32bit SP3, worked like a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

Try running the Ebconfig.exe file before playing the game. it's in EAGAMES/Earth & beyond/EBCONFIG folder. that should fix it right up.

Nope... that didn't do it. Tried the multiple resolutions as well (as mentioned by Balderhagen) but that didn't work either. So far my only way to get this to work is to 'Force Update' before I launch the game. Only takes a minute or two but is really annoying.

Any other ideas?

Ok finally got it to work!!! :D

I tried something suggested by C Del on one of the other posts...

Try both of the following:

Compatibility Mode

Go to your Earth & Beyond folder. (Default: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Earth & Beyond)

Open the "release" folder.

Right-click on "client.exe" and open its Properties.

Under the "Compatibility" tab, set the Compatibility Mode to "Windows XP (SP2)".

Also put a check next to 'Run as Administrator'

Click "Apply" and "OK".

E&BConfig

Go back to your Earth & Beyond folder.

Open the "EBCONFIG" folder.

Find E&BConfig.exe and put a check next to 'Run as Administrator' as you did above.

Worked for me!

BIG THANKS to C Del!!!!!!

Ok finally got it to work!!! :D

I tried something suggested by C Del on one of the other posts...

Worked for me!

BIG THANKS to C Del!!!!!!

Based on the original except.txt you posted for me, the fix was actually the enbconfig run as admin or it sure looks like it was. You were exceeding the budget(s) your computer had set would be my suspicion, either way it was causing the program to read protected OS memory and crashing you. I've never found the compatibility changes to be useful on a Win7 system, only Vista. :D

Though CDel deals with a lot more of the Tech support than the rest of us do.

Based on the original except.txt you posted for me, the fix was actually the enbconfig run as admin or it sure looks like it was. You were exceeding the budget(s) your computer had set would be my suspicion, either way it was causing the program to read protected OS memory and crashing you. I've never found the compatibility changes to be useful on a Win7 system, only Vista. :)

Though CDel deals with a lot more of the Tech support than the rest of us do.

Just confirmed that compatibility mode is required on the client.exe file otherwise it will just CTD as before.

Thanks!

Just confirmed that compatibility mode is required on the client.exe file otherwise it will just CTD as before.

Thanks!

That is very strange. I've had Win7 64bit professional since the day it came out. My files don't require that change to run. In fact, all I have to do is run the install as admin to make sure everything is modified by the existing installers and run the config. After that I can log right in.

I wonder if anyone else can provide their experiences? Knowing what causes it might allow to fix it up. :)

Thanks!

It seems that it depends on the configuration of the Win7 system.

I for example don't use the compatibility mode and don't run it as Admin(because the first User is always an Admin) on Win7 and have no problems.

Many have a security suite and such a like running that may cause such problems.(seen at a friend of me)

greets

Hexergirl

It seems that it depends on the configuration of the Win7 system.

I for example don't use the compatibility mode and don't run it as Admin(because the first User is always an Admin) on Win7 and have no problems.

Many have a security suite and such a like running that may cause such problems.(seen at a friend of me)

greets

Hexergirl

aha but systems with UAC don't treat the first user account as a full administrator. The purpose of UAC is to assign administrator accounts two tokens. A default token that treats them in some ways like an administrator which is used for most actions and a token that comes into play when they are requesting to modify something that could be dangerous to the system (registry, program files, etc.). When it has to request this token, this is why you receive the "Do you want to allow this program to modify this computer?"

In XP what you said is entirely spot on though, there's nothing to interfere. A virus scanner shouldn't make a lick of difference to the game except at installation time since it's placing files and writing in the registry.

Perhaps differences in Windows 7 Home Premium vs Professional may be the cause of this inconsistency?

I'll have to go look over tech specs, but the only differences I recall between home premium and pro are that mainly you lose access to use the XP emulation mode, some of the security features, and the price with the home version.

aha but systems with UAC don't treat the first user account as a full administrator. The purpose of UAC is to assign administrator accounts two tokens. A default token that treats them in some ways like an administrator which is used for most actions and a token that comes into play when they are requesting to modify something that could be dangerous to the system (registry, program files, etc.). When it has to request this token, this is why you receive the "Do you want to allow this program to modify this computer?"

Ok, my UAC is set to no messages. :unsure:

You don't get more rights with UAC, just the rights you have can't be used without your knowledge.(or giving user/password for admin account for more rights)

The bad thing is, if you start a program that needs your agreement because UAC is set to, it's not working.

If you set your UAC to no messages this isn't a problem.

But it should only be done if there is only one user on this PC and only for gaming(or having a good security suite). :P

I'll have to go look over tech specs, but the only differences I recall between home premium and pro are that mainly you lose access to use the XP emulation mode, some of the security features, and the price with the home version.

As i can remember it's also like XP, less network options available.

greets

Hexergirl