Hulks! What now?

ok I've implemented the big ore stacks dropping in hulks, with even a chance for refined materials too :blink:

Could I get someone to give me a list of the most useful refined materials too, as I am adding a further 'danger level' setting for resource fields so the content reflects how tricky they were to get to.

I'll get cracking on the other ones next week.

[quote]- obscure some contents of hulks (mystery item, only revealed when you pull it in).
- large stacks of ores in hulks (good explanation too). Gonna be a killer on the reactor ...
- chance for hidden hulk to be revealed once you've cleared the field (was somehow obscured from scanners). Chance for AA in said hulk.
- buffs in hulks if they pop.
- increasing chance of AA's dropping if fields are cleared? This kinda happens by default although the AA placement code is still needing a few tweaks - I want it to work so that the server maintains a constant number of AA's throughout the galaxy rather than just having a very low drop chance.[/quote]

I like all of these altho instead of just a chance for an AA i'd suggest that the server rolls for field lvl specific, high end loot item instead of [b]just[/b] AA's.
also [quote]but hulks didnt pop with mobs, just random buffs[/quote]
hulks and roids all had a chance to pop iirc and also weren't discernible by color. (also iirc) i seem to remember the phrase "if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is..." passed around quite a bit when discussing how to tell if something was going to pop.
I also seem to remember guardians spawning from roids as well as hulks and if you look at my sunset vid you'll see me pulling a L9 device from a L9 roid, not a hulk.

[quote name='Tienbau' timestamp='1307682893' post='41962']
ok I've implemented the big ore stacks dropping in hulks, with even a chance for refined materials too :P

Could I get someone to give me a list of the most useful refined materials too, as I am adding a further 'danger level' setting for resource fields so the content reflects how tricky they were to get to.

I'll get cracking on the other ones next week.
[/quote]

I would suggest just sticking to Raw format for the ores, let the miner refine them. Just my 2cents.

Discordite, Apollonite, Raw Eye Stone, Raw Flawless Ruby, Hades Blood, Brood Oil, Horosium, Curium, Titanium, Rhodite, Radium are some good ones to start with (used in ammo :D )

I'm sure others will have some suggestions as far as ores used to manufacture actual items but the above list should cover down on ammo comps. I'm sure the L9 Ore folks will speak up in those terms.

[quote name='Hober' timestamp='1307534541' post='41869']
One way to get people to clear the fields would be to hide the identity of the hulks contents until it has been mined. Open a hulk and all you see is ship remains until you mine it. Once it's in your hold, it's true identity is revealed. Somewhat along the lines of ancient artifacts, but you don't need to take the stuff to an NPC.
[/quote]

When I go hulking I empty out each hulk completely, pulling in stuff I know to be crap. If I start getting tight on cargo space I will eject the lower level items to be able to pull in the higher level items. If I don't know what it is in the hulk then I don't know if it's worth spacing what I already have. Not in favor of this change.

[quote name='Jarod' timestamp='1307730319' post='41980']
When I go hulking I empty out each hulk completely, pulling in stuff I know to be crap. If I start getting tight on cargo space I will eject the lower level items to be able to pull in the higher level items. If I don't know what it is in the hulk then I don't know if it's worth spacing what I already have. Not in favor of this change.
[/quote]

yeah we wouldn't want to have many of these, but have a chance for them to be something cool.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='RojoMuerte' timestamp='1307685631' post='41965']
I would suggest just sticking to Raw format for the ores, let the miner refine them. Just my 2cents.

Discordite, Apollonite, Raw Eye Stone, Raw Flawless Ruby, Hades Blood, Brood Oil, Horosium, Curium, Titanium, Rhodite, Radium are some good ones to start with (used in ammo :D )

I'm sure others will have some suggestions as far as ores used to manufacture actual items but the above list should cover down on ammo comps. I'm sure the L9 Ore folks will speak up in those terms.
[/quote]

The refined ores make some sense to me, I have no problem with it. The hulk may have been an ore freighter carrying refined ores to a station. Adds a bit of realism for me.

[quote name='Vitaes' timestamp='1313332006' post='44710']
The refined ores make some sense to me, I have no problem with it. The hulk may have been an ore freighter carrying refined ores to a station. Adds a bit of realism for me.
[/quote]

Agreed. It's another thing for us explorers to find. In live Explore & Trade were in need of the level of loving combat received. They started to fix explore towards the end with more orefields, the improvement to the MCP's rewards, and missions like Lyle's. Trade was improved with missions like the Zach mission which was mostly geared towards TTs and explorers. Please continue this trend the JT & Scout will benefit from this.

Also can this thread be stickied, since the 1/2 eaten space suit info is here?

Is it just the hulk field im pulling or are all the hulk ores now refined? If its mixed then ignore me :D. But seems live it was both refined and nonrefines, and would make more sense (if it can be done) to have both, like above, the refined would be that TT hualing ore and got his butt crushed, but should also be unrefined, that greedy, over curious miner got THEIR butt killed also..and they didnt get to the station to refine it before their curiosity got the better of them. Keep up the good work guys!

• 1 year later...