Insta-warp...is it possible?

Not sure the game needs an easy button. There are plenty of games out there with those already in place. If something like this were to be put in place I would much rather see it applied to the "Explorer" classes only. If we're gonna do it all nice and easy like, give them WH's or whatever from this point of view you want to call them to each and every sector, just at very random spots inside those sectors.

Your game time issue is solved with the help of the friendly explorer class feller that WH's you to sector of your choice, where exactly you end up could be rather exciting. With every reward there should be some risk, slight risk to the Explorer classes since it is one of their skills, and slightly more risk to those hitching rides (those without navigate skills etc. etc.)

Something along this line would make the Explorer classes highly sought after in game. Surely the locations can be randomized, as far as the skills go just split em up evenly between the Explorer classes, some to the PE< JE< TE could even go as far as to give them the sectors related to their race, I'd prefer to open them all up to each of the "Explorer" classes given thats their calling.

All of this is highly unlikely, to many things in game involve the travel, of course I guess we could just load the job terminals with more than what is needed, and keep the tasks all in the same sector you got the job in. That would eliminate the time sinks for a lot of peeps. Time sinks is exactly what they are, time sinks to keep the public from hounding Devs to death about content. Should something like this be put in place, that will be the next thing addressed. "Now that I can go anywhere I want, anytime I want, I leveled up and have played all this content, I want new content. Wheres my new content?" Remember.... you heard it first from Charlie (wonder if he's still winning)!

I play an explorer, I do not make these suggestions for my time issues. I do not consider it an easy button because it is not exactly difficult to fly anywhere. It is just a waste of time which doesn't fit a free to play model. I am making these suggestions to potentially increase the fun to every person that plays.

[quote name='Exiledrapier' timestamp='1303769369' post='39748']
All of this is highly unlikely, to many things in game involve the travel, of course I guess we could just load the job terminals with more than what is needed, and keep the tasks all in the same sector you got the job in. That would eliminate the time sinks for a lot of peeps. Time sinks is exactly what they are, time sinks to keep the public from hounding Devs to death about content. Should something like this be put in place, that will be the next thing addressed. "Now that I can go anywhere I want, anytime I want, I leveled up and have played all this content, I want new content. Wheres my new content?" Remember.... you heard it first from Charlie (wonder if he's still winning)!
[/quote]

I don't think an improvement to the game should be dismissed because it allows people to enjoy the content of the game rather than wasting their time, eventually showing another weakness of the game. That just means the next weakness needs to be addressed as well in order to continue to improve the gaming experience.
  • Upvote 1

I can see it being used as an easy button to make jobs and trade runs that much easier... So you would have to limit people from being able to use it to cut corners. Otherwise what's the point in doing them. Just so you can level up your toon as fast as possible.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In "live", pirates and some MOBs could make you lose warp as you flew past them. That would be lost if you could insta-jump anywhere. Also, gravity wells would become useless to slow ships getting to/away certain locations.

But those are the only reasons I can see to not have insta-warp.

Of course, you may miss new content that might be added after you explored an area. And, being 8 sectors away would be meaningless as one sector away (would that make sense)?

I talked myself out of it. Not a good idea...

[quote name='Whoami' timestamp='1303797746' post='39764']
Holy HellHas, I did suggest putting the restriction on it like wormholes do to avoid trade run problems in my first post. I'm not going to bother to answer you anymore.
[/quote]
Dude I wasn't even talking to you... Was just stating my opinion as I thought more about it. To be clear if I am directing any of what I say to you, I will quote you like I did just now. Edited by HellHas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

[quote name='GenghisBob' timestamp='1303846477' post='39794']
In "live", pirates and some MOBs could make you lose warp as you flew past them.[/quote]you must be thinking about Freelancer EnB mod or something as in EnB live* no mob aggroed when you flew past them in warp.

* at the time of sunset of-course. what happened very early in live or even in beta is irrelevant.

[quote name='karu' timestamp='1303852503' post='39803']
you must be thinking about Freelancer EnB mod or something as in EnB live* no mob aggroed when you flew past them in warp.

* at the time of sunset of-course. what happened very early in live or even in beta is irrelevant.
[/quote]

Very early in the game RD's did in fact have an ability to drop you out of warp. As an old school TW I was aware of this up until the mission that offered the Cygni Express Engine as reward, after that it stopped occuring, and shortly after that, their ability to do so may have been dropped out of game altogether. I can tell you early into the game I was so releived to finally have gotten that engine, and no longer be drug out of warp by RD's on my many Trade runs from Tau to Fen, but as stated very much irrelevant now, although it did make for eye opening or tense moments at times.

I also remember how tense and antsy I would get when a gate Raid was announced and I was farming Rep in Endriago, or farming Bulwarks, somewhere on the other side of the Galaxy.... Make the run towards Cooper and realize once I got there i needed more ammo than what I had brought with me..... Good times man, good times. Orion server always seemed to have good people who were more than willing to spot ya a few stacks to get ya by. All that interaction would/could be lost had an ability like we are discussing been in/put in game.

I'm indifferent really, but I do think there are more pressing issues to address than this ability. The loss of players of course, is never something you want to see, unless of course your better off without em!

[quote name='karu' timestamp='1303852503' post='39803']
you must be thinking about Freelancer EnB mod or something as in EnB live* no mob aggroed when you flew past them in warp.

[/quote]

There were Pirates, in Live, that were on a Nav route that would sometimes cause you to drop out of warp. They would demand tribute be paid. If you refused, they would fire on you. If you paid them, sometimes, they'd still fire on you. :o It was very rewarding once you had your level up high enough to be able to tell them to stuff it and smoke them.

[quote name='Whoami' timestamp='1303773167' post='39752']
I play an explorer, I do not make these suggestions for my time issues. I do not consider it an easy button because it is not exactly difficult to fly anywhere. It is just a waste of time which doesn't fit a free to play model. I am making these suggestions to potentially increase the fun to every person that plays.

I don't think an improvement to the game should be dismissed because it allows people to enjoy the content of the game rather than wasting their time, eventually showing another weakness of the game. That just means the next weakness needs to be addressed as well in order to continue to improve the gaming experience.
[/quote]

You start off saying it's not a time issue . . . then you go on to contradict yourself by stating it's a time issue - twice.
  • Upvote 1

To cut down travel times, I'd suggest adding the wormhole skill to the Terran Scout instead. I have a vague memory from back in the day that the scout was supposed to get one of the skills otherwise consider jenquai only, but it may have been some other skill than wormhole. If implemented, the scout should get a different set of wormholes than the JE.

My suggestion for new wormhole locations for the scout:
Adriel Prime
Odin Rex
Pluto and Charon
Inverness
Kitara's Veil
Grissom
Muspelheim

[quote name='Knix' timestamp='1303900805' post='39859']
My suggestion for new wormhole locations for the scout:
Adriel Prime
Odin Rex
Pluto and Charon
Inverness
Kitara's Veil
Grissom
Muspelheim
[/quote]

I don't know if you had any particular reasoning for these locations, but if we were to use the JE's wormhole ability as a model the second wh location would be Earth (since JE's second goes to Jup, Jenquai homeworld the TS would be going to Terran homeworld), beyond that I don't know the original developers reasoning for locations (SE could be because that's where the only other Live Jenquai class was based?, maybe VT was because it's a Jenquai station way out there with decent ore fields, and I honestly see no logical reason for ABB, Carp or Endriago, but we have them, so there! ;)). I DO like your KV idea, however Inverness and Grissom might be a little too close together, considering there's a Carp wh already that would give 3 locations in a relatively small area. I'd suggest maybe keeping Inverness (or possibly even changing that to Arduinne just to add a little more distance to a "competing" wormhole).

I'm sure some JE's would complain that this would be another phasing out the usefulness of the Explorer, but quite frankly I would like to see more wh locations even if it IS a Terran that has the ability. Now the question is are the DEVs willing and able to do this (they may have something else on the board)? Would they have to call it something else (if the skill named create wormhole is locked to the current wefts they might have to find an alternate name for the skill)?

Illusion could be a lesser version of cloak, for the Scout, makes the most sense since they have the L8 shields that Jenquai have, and they are an explorer without a hide skill.

[url="http://home.swipnet.se/Hubba/classes.htm"]My link[/url]

[quote name='Tanya' timestamp='1303917073' post='39872']
I don't know if you had any particular reasoning for these locations, but if we were to use the JE's wormhole ability as a model the second wh location would be Earth (since JE's second goes to Jup, Jenquai homeworld the TS would be going to Terran homeworld), beyond that I don't know the original developers reasoning for locations (SE could be because that's where the only other Live Jenquai class was based?, maybe VT was because it's a Jenquai station way out there with decent ore fields, and I honestly see no logical reason for ABB, Carp or Endriago, but we have them, so there! ;)). I DO like your KV idea, however Inverness and Grissom might be a little too close together, considering there's a Carp wh already that would give 3 locations in a relatively small area. I'd suggest maybe keeping Inverness (or possibly even changing that to Arduinne just to add a little more distance to a "competing" wormhole).

I'm sure some JE's would complain that this would be another phasing out the usefulness of the Explorer, but quite frankly I would like to see more wh locations even if it IS a Terran that has the ability. Now the question is are the DEVs willing and able to do this (they may have something else on the board)? Would they have to call it something else (if the skill named create wormhole is locked to the current wefts they might have to find an alternate name for the skill)?
[/quote]

I just tried to toss them out in some of the hard to get to areas we have to day, while leaning slightly towards terran dominated areas. Some are a bit close, but so are some of the JE worm holes. SE - Kailaasa and Jupiter - ABB for instance.
I haven't put any effort into ordering them.