Suggestions about change the map slightly

Zyntax

Every time i look at the new starmap it makes me wonder how some places are connected. Especially in Sol, many things seems to be out of order. Sure, most of the things can be explained back when the game was live for example gate to Akerons Gate beeing placed in Saturn simply because it was the "last" planet.

But now when our nice devs has added new sectors in Sol (Mercury, Venus, Ceres, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto ) shouldnt the gates be located at their "correct" places? Shouldnt the gate to Akerons Gate be located in Pluto ( Read the enb bible, it tells you where the gate is really located )

There is also a few other gates that can be questioned. Why are Mercury and Pluto even connected? Why is Ceres connected to Venus when it's located in a asteroid field between Mars and Jupiter?

My suggestion on how the systems should be linked now that we have new systems:

post-548-089694800 1283121267_thumb.jpg

post-548-089694800 1283121267_thumb.jpg

I could be off base here... but I think if you look at the attached map... the way its setup now makes more sense... plus... if there are warp gates ro jump gates.... then rhyme orreason as to where they connect kinda lose value dont they?

this website

http://www.enbx.com/maps.htm

has the best collection of maps from live that I have found...

post-9-049010500 1283136505_thumb.jpg

post-9-049010500 1283136505_thumb.jpg

Edited by Avani

I could be off base here... but I think if you look at the attached map... the way its setup now makes more sense... plus... if there are warp gates ro jump gates.... then rhyme orreason as to where they connect kinda lose value dont they?

this website

http://www.enbx.com/maps.htm

has the best collection of maps from live that I have found...

That's the problem with the attached map.. The new sectors isnt on them.

In your proposed configuration would Saturn still have the gate to Beta Hydri (Glenn)?

Yes.You could still go to Beta hydri from Saturn ( and thoose other non-Sol sectors that connects rookie areas ). Who knows. Perhaps Saturn is the nearest planet to B.H i RL? I havnt got a clue to be honest.

My suggestions are only about planets / sectors located in Sol. Most of us know how the planets in Sol are located. The way i see it ( i wonder thou why WW / EA didnt see it that way ) is that gates inside a system should be jumplanes/gates between planets. Gates that connect systems to eachother should be warpgates. ( I hope that make sence, it's late :o )

Yes.You could still go to Beta hydri from Saturn ( and thoose other non-Sol sectors that connects rookie areas ). Who knows. Perhaps Saturn is the nearest planet to B.H i RL? I havnt got a clue to be honest.

Lord wiki says Beta Hydri is 24.4 lightyears away from sol.

Would it matter which planet is closest?

Since we are talking about planets, has Venus got its retrograde orbit and does uranus roll on its side yet?

Last time I checked that was not the case.

Also, the sun was brighter from the Uranus sector than several other closer ones. Has this been changed yet?

well just to have some fun with this... isnt pluto no longer a planet? and tbh I really feel bad for Pluto... I mean all those years of planet status and then one day BAM! now your nothing... personally... I still call Pluto a planet and always will :o

good point about bh tyran... 99.999% of the trip is just getting to the system after that its just a matter of minutes (light minutes)... to travel between the planets...

well just to have some fun with this... isnt pluto no longer a planet? and tbh I really feel bad for Pluto... I mean all those years of planet status and then one day BAM! now your nothing... personally... I still call Pluto a planet and always will :)

If Pluto is a planet then you must call Ceres a planet. Might as well get Eris, Makemake, and Haumea in on the action too. So we either have 8 planets or 13 planets, take your pick. Hehe ;)

Anyhoo... Back on topic. It doesn't matter where in the solar system you put the inter-solar gates. What's a few million miles difference when you're talking scales of 4+ light-years just to get to the closest star?

But I'll agree with the intra-solar gates. They could (should?) be Acceleration Gates... Why is Pluto and Mercury even connected? Shouldn't Mars and Jupiter have more links to AB{A,B,G} than Saturn?

well just to have some fun with this... isnt pluto no longer a planet? and tbh I really feel bad for Pluto... I mean all those years of planet status and then one day BAM! now your nothing... personally... I still call Pluto a planet and always will :)

or...

finally, after all those years since he was wrongfully appointed planet status, Pluto could let out a sigh of relief.

The little fella was aching for some rest. Of course, giants like Jupiter or Saturn don't have any problems fulfilling planetary duties; even the smaller Earth, Venus and Mars could handle it quite well.

But for a little guy like Pluto it was getting real strenuous to resemble a "real" planet.

Finally he could relax, sit back and enjoy the sinecure of a sub-planetary-object (or whatever they call it).

On the topic:

I see no reason why there shouldn't be a gate to Akeron in Saturn.

After all these are gates that hurl a ship through whatever dimension, subspace or watchamaycallit to a receiver at a far, far away point in space.

If we would follow the order of the planets, someone from Earth would have to go to Mars first, then through one(?) of the Asteroid belts, passing Jupiter and Saturn, the next one and Neptune, then disturb Pluto in his well earned hidden place and so on and so forth... You really wanna go that far?

Saturn is a hub, connecting to his neighbor Jupiter, some "inner" sectors and even other star systems (Aragoth via Akeron and Beta Hydri). The reason for this is simply game play and not resembling the real order of the planets in our solar system.

I'd say we leave it as it is

• Upvote 1

You could also note closer to home disparities. When leaving earth you enter asteroid belt alpha as if that's on the doorstep of earth. But it is actually beyond the orbit of Mars. Also, earth sector has roids that can be mined, at the height of earth station. Thats a bit dangerous and unlikely to be a group of captured asteroids.

The question is whether it is acceptable that gates do not take the shortest path but create detours around the solar system.

If it is not acceptable and gates need to take the shortest path then a possible solution is this:

Make gates periodically change their direction.

Take into account that there are points in the orbit that ABG is closer to Saturn than it is to Jupiter > when Jupiter is on the far side of the Sun to both.

Same for ABA and Mars...there can be points where either is closer to Earth.

The changing direction of gates would be once every few months, years and even decades for pluto...

Ofcourse this would raise a new problem...we would either need a person that can be arsed to change the gates, or somehow program the gates to change the directions by themselves.

At any rate it would not be too chaotic as most months there would not be a single change needed. And at the very least it would be interesting to leave earth and be right in progen space :)

• Upvote 2

Actually I think this is much to do about nothing. Where a gate goes should not be an issue. Think about it, if we could travel now from Earth to Mars AND build a gate from Earth to Mars, wouldn’t that gate naturally be built from Earth to Mars? And taking that further as we explore more of the galaxy... gates would be from our home world to our new found places. Sort of a Star topology?

But the big nasty in all this, I thought in EnB lore that the gates were originally built by the forgotten race? Virix? So if this is true there could be some totally unimaginable reason for where the gates are placed and where they go.

And I thought the Terrans (could be wrong here) also were able to build gates, so who knows why they do anything they do?

Wouldn’t it be a cool add-on to the game if there were a “Build a gate project” that would take a bit of time to build, requiring builders, miners and warriors (to protect the builders)to assemble a new gate? The destination could be kept secret by the Devs until the project is completed. And as long as wishin, after that along the same line of cooperative building, build a star base? Cool beans imo. Get on i:)Devs. :)

Edited by Mimir
  • Upvote 2

maybe we could take an idea from COH and from our guild bases ;) build guild gates that only your guildies could use... so we could build gates to the controller, the fishbowl, the rd base :) , the TS reactor building workshop, etc... now we are talking...

Well one big issue I see with this discussion is that too many people are thinking too linear when it comes to where planets should be in comparison to the other planets. For instance, right now, Mars and Saturn are on the opposite side of the sun from Jupiter, so actually at this moment in time, it would be a shorter trip to reach Jupiter from Mars than it would from Saturn.

Usually Venus and Mercury are closer to us than Mars, but in about 8 years or so Mars will be in an almost identical orbit with the sun as we are so Mars will be about half as close to us as Venus and Mercury.

What I've gathered so far is the gates aren't limited in distance (as far as we know) or by changes in distance (the solar system and galaxy isn't static). The gates were put in place by who-ever because they wanted to get to a certain place from a certain location and vice-versus. It's starting to make sense to me now that I'm relearning the back story and why the map is the way it is now. :)

It would be neat to have gates change though due to warring factions and the like. Or new gates built through some epic mission that a whole faction or groups of factions need to complete.

Well one big issue I see with this discussion is that too many people are thinking too linear when it comes to where planets should be in comparison to the other planets. For instance, right now, Mars and Saturn are on the opposite side of the sun from Jupiter, so actually at this moment in time, it would be a shorter trip to reach Jupiter from Mars than it would from Saturn.

Usually Venus and Mercury are closer to us than Mars, but in about 8 years or so Mars will be in an almost identical orbit with the sun as we are so Mars will be about half as close to us as Venus and Mercury.

Yeah, it's true that planets move in their orbits but tbh, it's just a game and we dont want to complicate it to much. But i doubt when we somday can travel to Mercury, i doubt that we are going to take the scenic route thru Pluto. Perhaps we should just accept when we gate from sector x to sector y, we arrive at their orbital spaces. Keep in mind that we dont land on the planet itself unless we travel to it.

Shuzun: Why i suggested that we move Akerons Gate from Saturn to Pluto is simple. According to the original dev documents, the location of the gate was near Pluto, i can give you a quote from the devdoc.

"So IC found out

about the gate, and the earth government, the precursor to EC, and the Progens

decided to get they selves a slice and went to war again to get some access to

Akerons gate area, out in Pluto. Eventually, the war was resolved, with much

death, good EC people blowing up their ships, and crazy ass Mordane getting

caught in the explosion."

Why it's located in Saturn today is simple because back in live, it was the last planet. (They scrapped Neptune because they never got it to work correctly.) I belive that's why Saturn is now also a major hub today as you said. . But we dont want to change it to much.

And yes, the ancient did build the gates, but not the one connecting for example Saturn to ABG. They are terran design. The gate to Antares is an example of Ancient gate design.

One neat idea would be turning SOL into one huge gigantic sector where the planets spins in their orbits and you have to chase the planets if you want to reach them. And give the planets the coward AI so the planets flee from you when you aproach them! :)

Edited by Zyntax

Wouldn’t it be a cool add-on to the game if there were a “Build a gate project” that would take a bit of time to build, requiring builders, miners and warriors (to protect the builders)to assemble a new gate? The destination could be kept secret by the Devs until the project is completed. And as long as wishin, after that along the same line of cooperative building, build a star base? Cool beans imo. Get on it :)vs. :)

I like this idea for something to do later in the game, after the emulator goes "live".

"So IC found out

about the gate, and the earth government, the precursor to EC, and the Progens

decided to get they selves a slice and went to war again to get some access to

Akerons gate area, out in Pluto. Eventually, the war was resolved, with much

death, good EC people blowing up their ships, and crazy ass Mordane getting

caught in the explosion."

While this is certainly true, it still doesn't tell me why there shouldn't be a gate to Akeron from Saturn.

In a way the game is build around the fact that Staurn was the last planet in the solar system, the beginners zone and certain early mission areas are balanced around it. There is no need to complicate the early levels by shoving in more sectors a new character has to move through.

Anyone who wants to access Akeron the right way is free to go through Pluto, as there is a gate now.

I have wondred myself about the strange order of gates and sectors and the idea isn't bad in itself, don't get me wrong there. But then I started thinking about how this game is built up from the beginner areas and that it might have to be re-written to accommodate the new routes. I might over-estimate the volume of work needed, but I really think that development ressources should go to other areas before modifying the core.

• Upvote 1

While this is certainly true, it still doesn't tell me why there shouldn't be a gate to Akeron from Saturn.

In a way the game is build around the fact that Staurn was the last planet in the solar system, the beginners zone and certain early mission areas are balanced around it. There is no need to complicate the early levels by shoving in more sectors a new character has to move through.

Anyone who wants to access Akeron the right way is free to go through Pluto, as there is a gate now.

I have wondred myself about the strange order of gates and sectors and the idea isn't bad in itself, don't get me wrong there. But then I started thinking about how this game is built up from the beginner areas and that it might have to be re-written to accommodate the new routes. I might over-estimate the volume of work needed, but I really think that development ressources should go to other areas before modifying the core.

We are not modifying the core, we are changing the emu so it's following the core lore. And from the beginner point of view. Sol is the beginners area really, so where we put the gate to the "more experience players" sector doesnt really matter. All i suggested was follow the original docs and place the gate in Pluto. And belive me, it doesnt take much work to do it.

In the end I think its pretty logical for the races to have picked saturn as pass-between places to reach other using gates.

It would be awkward otherwise passing through each other's systems.

However, the mercury and pluto link is less logical. It seem an aweful waste of resources to link these two small planets.

In the end I think its pretty logical for the races to have picked saturn as pass-between places to reach other using gates.

It would be awkward otherwise passing through each other's systems.

However, the mercury and pluto link is less logical. It seem an aweful waste of resources to link these two small planets.

Perhaps the resources make it worthwhile? Thank you Merlin. ;)