Mission reward in dialogue box

Tyran

Is this possible?

The moment you talk to an NPC that provides a mission, the initial chat box will tell you the reward.

Something like:

(Reward: 4000 Combat Experience, 3000 Trade Experience and Sai'li's Circle)

I ask this because sometimes it can be annoying finding the mission you want. Also if you want to find missions with for example trade XP this could save a bit of headache. And you will know what NPC gives what item as a reward.

This should make missions a bit more attractive if people know what they get. I'm pretty sure I don't only speak for myself when I say that I can't be arsed blindly doing a mission without knowing what I will get. Especially with the length of some missions...

I can't be arsed blindly doing a mission without knowing what I will get. Especially with the length of some missions...

i know i will regret posting this... but... if I am going to get arsed... I really think I want to be blinded first... ESPECIALLY... knowing the length of some of the NPC's missions... :P

• Upvote 1

This seems like too much of a departure from the way missions were in live. I think a better solution is to just make sure that missions reward fairly for the player's time investment.

• Upvote 2

This seems like too much of a departure from the way missions were in live. I think a better solution is to just make sure that missions reward fairly for the player's time investment.

Yeah i agree somewhat on this if we want the game to be as it was back in live. Alltho, i also find it kind of annoying sometimes not knowing what you'll get after you finished a mission. Almost all mmorpgs today tells you what you reward is. This is one thing i think enb is missing. ( That and a complete mission breifing under the mission tab )

i know i will regret posting this... but... if I am going to get arsed... I really think I want to be blinded first... ESPECIALLY... knowing the length of some of the NPC's missions... :P

Somewhere on the dev team there is an absolute sadist. It must take talent because no other game has ever had a mission causing so much brain frying. The mission in question is a progen promotion mission from about 8 months ago.

I'm not sure how serious the departure from the way missions were in live is. Nothing of the mission changes except that you know what reward you get.
This is one thing i think enb is missing. ( That and a complete mission breifing under the mission tab )
That would be great for knowing what the torture missions are :)

I'm okay with this, or with the OP's request that the reward be mentioned in the dialogue. One of the things I like to do in the game is missions, so I'm not inclined to turn down missions without knowing what the reward is. I do think that if you take a mission that's going to hurt your faction standing with another faction, the dialogue should at least give a pretty strong hint of that. I also think that the majority of NPC missions should give an award of positive faction for completion since you're doing the NPC a favor of some type.

Somewhere on the dev team there is an absolute sadist. It must take talent because no other game has ever had a mission causing so much brain frying. The mission in question is a progen promotion mission from about 8 months ago.

Byakhee's missions are great. If you have trouble with them, you ain't doin' 'em right. :P

I do think that if you take a mission that's going to hurt your faction standing with another faction, the dialogue should at least give a pretty strong hint of that. I also think that the majority of NPC missions should give an award of positive faction for completion since you're doing the NPC a favor of some type.

I can agree with that. Any mission that would require you to get negative standing with any faction should be plainly obvious though. For example, doing missions for Shou Tzu should logically mess up your standing with one of the player factions, or your own, and pirate-fighting missions will lose you your RD faction.

I think the reward being a mystery is a good thing. It doesn't make sense to me to give the player an exact readout of what they'll get from missions; that's what Jobs are for.

Byakhee's missions are great. If you have trouble with them, you ain't doin' 'em right. :P

Ummm depends on when you start them, when he changes them, and when you finish them. The "warning: missions are in flux" really is of no solace, when they change half way through a "mandatory" mission. As I have said before if the missions absolutely have to be so obtuse that the normal casual or new player cannot figure them out nor complete them, then something is terribly wrong with them.

I can agree with that. Any mission that would require you to get negative standing with any faction should be plainly obvious though. For example, doing missions for Shou Tzu should logically mess up your standing with one of the player factions, or your own, and pirate-fighting missions will lose you your RD faction.

/agree

There are Progen missions that are stated to be "not combat" but are completely combat focused. These mess with faction.

I think the reward being a mystery is a good thing. It doesn't make sense to me to give the player an exact readout of what they'll get from missions; that's what Jobs are for.

This I have an issue with...the first few through the missions will give away the prize to those who follow. Letting the player's know why they are doing a mission and what is the reward is absolutely needed, most are so time consuming that the casual player, investing x amount of time for 20K reward for 3 days mission is just wrong.

Byakhee's missions are great. If you have trouble with them, you ain't doin' 'em right. :PI can agree with that. Any mission that would require you to get negative standing with any faction should be plainly obvious though. For example, doing missions for Shou Tzu should logically mess up your standing with one of the player factions, or your own, and pirate-fighting missions will lose you your RD faction.I think the reward being a mystery is a good thing. It doesn't make sense to me to give the player an exact readout of what they'll get from missions; that's what Jobs are for.

I think it should depend on what exactly Shou Tzu wants you to do whether or not it messes up faction with something else. If Shou Tzu wants you to go kill some Progen, Chavez, or V'rix ships, then it's pretty obvious that either the Progen, Chavez, or V'rix will be pissed about it. Same if he is having you steal from them or do something that directly harms them. If he wants you to kill some belters that messed with some of his guys, then it doesn't make sense that it would anger anyone other than the belters you had to kill (and since they're non-factioned faction wouldn't be affected). If he wants you to smuggle something, from point A to point B, then it's possible that another faction may be angered by it, depending on the specifics of what's being smuggled, and how it affects some other faction.

I could see the mission Traitor, giving a small negative adjustment to EarthCorps faction considering you have to lie to Admiral Herrera, but it should be a pretty small adjustment since he's merely a little more suspicious of you than before, he's not calling for your head but will watch you more closely.

I do think that if a mission gives both positve & negative faction adjustments for doing something, then the positive faction gained should be more than the mission would have otherwise given if it didn't require one to anger another faction. I don't think that say taking out the trash for the Progen should anger the Jenquai, unless the Progen are having you dump said trash on Kailaasa, or some other Jenquai planet.

Ummm depends on when you start them, when he changes them, and when you finish them. The "warning: missions are in flux" really is of no solace, when they change half way through a "mandatory" mission. As I have said before if the missions absolutely have to be so obtuse that the normal casual or new player cannot figure them out nor complete them, then something is terribly wrong with them.

I can see that the mission changing in the middle of your doing it would be very frustrating, I've been lucky not to have that happen to me I guess. Byakhee's missions are very long, but they have actual plot. I think people are too anxious to go out and grind their levels up to 50 rather than paying attention to story. There isn't much of a solid storyline going on in the game right now since we're pre-alpha, and I find Byakhee's missions refreshing in that they make me feel like I'm actually playing a video game as opposed to a level grinding contest. I especially like his Agrippa Tech stuff for the PP. I'm also a pretty casual player and I haven't had too much trouble with his missions, except that sometimes it can be hard to find target mobs; I can only surmise people don't read his dialogues thoroughly enough.

I can see that the mission changing in the middle of your doing it would be very frustrating, I've been lucky not to have that happen to me I guess. Byakhee's missions are very long, but they have actual plot. I think people are too anxious to go out and grind their levels up to 50 rather than paying attention to story. There isn't much of a solid storyline going on in the game right now since we're pre-alpha, and I find Byakhee's missions refreshing in that they make me feel like I'm actually playing a video game as opposed to a level grinding contest. I especially like his Agrippa Tech stuff for the PP. I'm also a pretty casual player and I haven't had too much trouble with his missions, except that sometimes it can be hard to find target mobs; I can only surmise people don't read his dialogues thoroughly enough.

I had trouble with his dialogues because you HAD to read them :lol: Most other games have dialogues for storyline fetishists, and then simplified instructions in a mission log for the rest of us.

The problem with Byakhees missions I found was that the mission log did not tell you everything you needed to know to get the job done. So if you missed out on the dialogue you could be screwed.

Also, quite a few dialogue boxes do not contain information vital to the mission. So you may understand why a lot of dialogue boxes are only scoured for keywords like deliver and destroy and not closely read.

I would agree though that his missions are better than grinding to lvl 50. You are playing the game pretty much how it was meant. But if the missions are a bit of a pain to get through then I doubt I'd do them twice.

So perhaps there could be more incentives to do missions.

More item rewards and experience to somewhat match grinding exp would come a long way.

I do like that Byakhee's missions have a storyline associated with them, but with no surrounding storyline for just about any other part of the game, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Its been like getting a book, start reading at chapter 10, get to chapter 20 and find out that the writer changed something in chapter 12 that affects the rest of the book, but you can't go back and read it.

I not only read the text of the missions, but try to screen capture the dialog text as it flashes across the screen. I know the Alt up arrow will bring this back, but not after a log off or a CTD. (the screen grabs help here). I guess my point is that I don't think that doing a screen capture, reading and re-reading mission text to figure out some hidden meaning should be necessary in a game. I can see such complexity in clues in RL for finding a million buried gold doubloons, but come on LOL the story line can be advanced without the need to dissect every chat for hidden meaning or clues.

Don't confuse Jobs and Missions - it almost sounds like you'd want a mission set up more like a job (dump trash, earn x amount of xp, x credits and x faction)

Missions are really for storyline development and to get you into the game world and setting. They should make the characters stand out and be more realistic (as much as they can in a futuristic game anyway) The dialogue should get you into the developments going on in the game, and perhaps mention something you wouldn't know otherwise. (maybe even not mission related) Maybe an NPC mentions a place you haven't been, or a fact that something is going on in an area which you might want to investigate, or even a whole new (sub)plot line for your race, class or just a particular NPC character.

Being able to quickly click through all the chat options and be able to complete the mission by your mission log is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go about it, and completely misses the point. Missions are optional except for HU's and skill ones, so really if you want simplicity and ease, you cold concentrate on jobs more. As you may be able to tell, I love missions. (Except an annoying one where I've got to level like 30 levels to kill the mob needed after easily killing the previous one :))

Being able to quickly click through all the chat options and be able to complete the mission by your mission log is, in my opinion, the wrong way to go about it, and completely misses the point. Missions are optional except for HU's and skill ones, so really if you want simplicity and ease, you cold concentrate on jobs more. As you may be able to tell, I love missions. (Except an annoying one where I've got to level like 30 levels to kill the mob needed after easily killing the previous one :))
The question to ask yourself here is; should missions be for part of the playerbase, or for everyone?

It's not like if you make the missions more player-friendly you will be taking anything away from those that closely follow the storyline...