Posts with blank space

Several months back there was a topic about posts with lots of blank space in them. I couldn't find it in my search, so I started this one.

I have been reading the forums the past couple of days, and every one by dakynos (DEV) is like this. I have tried 2 different computers, and 3 browsers (ie8, opera, and firfox) and it's appearing the same on all.

Anyone else having this oddity?

I'm actually investigating this right now for dakynos. WHat's odd is no matter what browser I use, I cannot see the empty space. Out of curiousity, do you any of you having the problem use any sort of proxy for your browser to filter anything?

When that happens, could you take a screenshot of it and save the web page source for us to look at?

I uploaded the screenshots in an excel file and the htm for the page also.

It only happens to me at work, we are using Windows xp and IE 8. I agree with Byakhee that it must be some 3rd party software, I don't have the issue using IE 8 on Windows 7 at home. I also have firefox, opera and safari installed at work and do not have this issue with any of those.

Edit: Also it is not random when it happens, any post from Dakynos shows up this way for me, and there are some others that don't post as much that happens too but can't remember their names.

blankErrorScreen.xlsx

blankError.htm

blankErrorScreen.xlsx

blankError.htm

Edited by Grendwal

Are you using IE8's compatibility mode? It must be the browser, because the saved page source code displays perfectly on my system.

I've pondered if its to actually do with his user group and not his signiture?

And yes, I have the issue with IE8, but putting the pages in compatibilty mode fix the issue.

Are you using IE8's compatibility mode? It must be the browser, because the saved page source code displays perfectly on my system.

Yes I have the box checked that says "Display all pages in compatibility mode"

Edit: Interesting though, I just unchecked the box that says display in compatibility mode and now the page displays correctly.

Edited by Grendwal

I think IE8's compatibility mode is the problem one way or the other, but I can't explain why this weirdness is happening in other browsers. There must be a problem in how some versions of some browsers interpret certain HTML code.

What'd you find on his group CDel? I looked through it but never really saw anything. I believe compatibility mode is the culprit, when I switched it on (Tools > Compatibility View Settings > Display all Websites in compatibility view, it would also explain why some see it and some do not since this is an individual setting, if it were the group I imagine it would be universal, even if just universal on one browser type) this caused the file "blankerror.htm" to display like it did on that remote system of the person who posted it, so, disable compatibility view. IPB is probably not designed to deal with it.

It also explains some of the problems I've had displaying the forum at work I'd say since I have to have it on for several of our sites.

When the moderator group was set up, the person who changed the name color forgot to close the <span> tag around the [MOD] tag after the username. I would guess that some browsers allowed this to mess up the CSS <div> tags and some others would automatically correct the error. Hopefully that was the only group with that problem and it should be nice and fixed now. I looked through a bunch of the other groups and didn't see any with the same issue.

I managed to check the fourms with IE7, and saw the same issues as others have reported. Now I no longer see them, so CDel's fix should do it. If not I have also heard turning compatibility mode off works too as Grendwal noted. I waited until I was pretty sure everything was fixed, so I wouldn't be making this thread worse for those who were having problems. Thanks for your patience!