Idea to Get Donations Higher

Maybe a donation for skill points (similar to the live referral system) would ensure that you meet or exceed the goal each month?

We've discussed bonuses in the past, but we haven't made any decisions. There are camps of players out there who would not support that, because they believe it devalues the game (such as microtransactions to buy special gear with f2p games like Dungeons and Dragons Online for example)

We might continue to discuss it but it's not something we'd make a light decision on.

This is a very double edged sword.

But if there are desperate times and this is a successful method then why not.

However if this needs to be implemented it is only delaying the inevitable. Once people have enough skillpoints interest will die down and you will need to find a new way to get donations.

Hi

My personal opinion is that there should be no more incentives than the the one that already exists.

Donations are what keeps the play and dev servers up and running. If having the opportunity to play this game is not enough to garner the donations we need, then I suggest the result will be that these servers will be shut down.

Not a pleasant thought, but reality.

Riia

• Upvote 2

I imagine that taking payments for skill points or any other e-good will result in a lot of extra unwanted hassles for the emulator staff keeping track of it all between stress tests and dealing with the issues that are bound to arise.

And besides that -- any hint of profit making would probably bring down the wrath of EA Games lawyers and result in the shutting down of the emulator. Using any property of the "game" to gain revenue is a no-no IMO for that reason.

Raising cash to pay for servers is another matter and I think that has to be done solely through donations as it is now.

Let's clarify, It's not something we're likely to do. If it were, it wouldn't be a skill point bonus or anything like that, it'd probably be an experience bonus based on the donation (that was the one idea that could be done without giving truly unfair advantages over other players.)

In any case, it's not likely and we're not hurting in any way.

In regards to EA, as long as we don't sell their client or resources from it as our own, or in any way require payment for you to play we should be safe from EA's law-ninjas. That is to say, we shouldn't profit from their work in any direct regard.

Just to be clear though, we would resort to advertisements long before something like this.

Hi

My personal opinion is that there should be no more incentives than the the one that already exists.

Donations are what keeps the play and dev servers up and running. If having the opportunity to play this game is not enough to garner the donations we need, then I suggest the result will be that these servers will be shut down.

Not a pleasant thought, but reality.

Riia

Agreed! My concern (each time this comes up, how many is this one now?) is that any such effort to link donations to meaningful in-game benefits risks creating a 2-class system: those that can buy their way to improved gameplay capabilities and those that can't. That's not good in a non-commercial game. I'm much more ambivalent on the things that are less meaningful (eyeball poppers or something like that) but still fear it sets up a slippery slope.

• Upvote 2

This skill discussion is irrelevant to the topic. Create another thread.

Anyway. We're not going to give donors benefits that tilt the balance of the game. In my mind, that would just be a sleazy thing to do. (Not a fan of 'microtransactions') I would support non-game-altering benefits for donors, however, such as character transfers, name changes, etc.

This skill discussion is irrelevant to the topic. Create another thread.

Anyway. We're not going to give donors benefits that tilt the balance of the game. In my mind, that would just be a sleazy thing to do. (Not a fan of 'microtransactions') I would support non-game-altering benefits for donors, however, such as character transfers, name changes, etc.

Fair enough, was answering Kyp w/r/t something that is wrong with the Jenquai classes. Could a mod please separate this part of the discussion from the thread?

I think this topic came up a few weeks back. I'd be fine with donators having an icon for thier ship unlocked (maybe the N7 or FF logo), but I personaly wouldn't want to go any further than that, I'm not a huge fan of micro-transactions at the best of times.

Also, the moment we start charging for services, like name changes, or referal points, is the moment we start been made far more accountable for our actions as the donations are then a fee for services and not a donation. I persoanaly wouldn't want to have complaints on the forums because players havn't been able to get thier name change or referral points because a dev wasn't online that weekend. I already have a job and I'm going back to uni soon, I really wouldn't want the stress on me from players believing they are entitled to things in the game because they are buying things. If that makes sence?

• Upvote 1

I have to agree with the devs on this one. Microtransactions have the nasty habit of separating the player base by those who can and those who can't. Also, once you start doing this, then you have to start worrying about bringing in too much money. How's that for irony. You bring in too much and EA could start taking a look at the game and ask where all the money is going to and wanting the accountings and all that. The devs here have better things to do than worry about that. IE... jobs, develop game, ensure wife/family faction stays intact.

If anything, I would just suggest making the donation status and goals more prominent on the webpage so people see it and may think to themselves "you know... I'm having a great time with my old love and glad these guys took their time and abilities to resurrect this great game. I think I'll give $10 this month."

I think this topic came up a few weeks back. I'd be fine with donators having an icon for thier ship unlocked (maybe the N7 or FF logo), but I personaly wouldn't want to go any further than that, I'm not a huge fan of micro-transactions at the best of times.

Also, the moment we start charging for services, like name changes, or referal points, is the moment we start been made far more accountable for our actions as the donations are then a fee for services and not a donation. I persoanaly wouldn't want to have complaints on the forums because players havn't been able to get thier name change or referral points because a dev wasn't online that weekend. I already have a job and I'm going back to uni soon, I really wouldn't want the stress on me from players believing they are entitled to things in the game because they are buying things. If that makes sence?

IMO that's a pretty good idea, or maybe [Donator] after their name in chat, the way that Developers have [DEV] or Game Masters have [GM].

split off topic posts to another thread.

I can't say anything better than what has been said - I'm personally against money getting you anything other than flash (eyeball poppers, logos etc) in the game.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be a financially sound idea to implement a second server where pay bonuses apply? This way you wouldn't interfere with the current server environment or economy.

We won't be taking money for services or accounts. If you donate it's to help keep the server up so you can play with everyone. Pay for stuff opens up some legal loopholes that we don't want any part of.

• Upvote 1

We won't be taking money for services or accounts. If you donate it's to help keep the server up so you can play with everyone. Pay for stuff opens up some legal loopholes that we don't want any part of.

Tru dat.