Notice to Players

Hello,

I had to do something tonight that I really do not like to do. I had to kick off 2 players from the play server. 1 was for spamming the chat so bad I could not even get a message in and the other was for useing words that I know are not allowed in open chat. I want everyone to know that I do not like having to do this, but since I was the only one on that could I had to. The use of 4 letter words, the "N" word, calling other players names, useing bad words in your toon name will not be allowed by any of the staff here at the emu. Now as a Dev it is not my place to kick players, but these 2 players were about as "RUDE" as I have ever seen 2 players be. Players, please leave that kind of stuff at the door and make the game a happy & friendly place to be. Putting the word (sorry about this) "cunt" in your name not only affends me as I have 4 daughters, but will offend all our female players out there. For the 2 guys I kicked, I am sorry I had to do it, but both of you needs to grow up. I will not post their names as I am hopeing they grow up and the matter can be closed here. "But" I do know who you guys are and I will be watching & if I need to kick you again I will see to it it is more then just for the moment. I hope everyone who was on the server understands & knows I do not just kick players for the heck of it. So lets all play nice and have a nice day! TTYL :-)

Merlin

• Upvote 3

I noticed one earlier and wondered: what is the reporting procedure for such?

Is there an in game mechanic, or should we just wait it out until a GM/Dev/Beta/Some_Other_Emu_Official logs in and notices?

Hello,

Normally a GM should handle these types of things, but this was one of those times that I was the only one on that could kick these guys which is something I hate to do. If for some reason you see someone that is acting in a way that you know would not be allowed & no one is there to take care of the problem is to ask them nicely to please stop and take screen shots. Everyone on the server knows better then to act the way those 2 or 1 person was acting and the fact that they did not log right back in proves they knew what they were doing. The last thing any of us wants is for the players to start policing each other and that is what the GM's job is, but there are times when there is no GM's on and sometimes us Dev's will step in if we have to. But please everyone, don't make us step in and everyone play nice! TTYL :-)

Merlin

... should we just wait it out until a GM/Dev/Beta/Some_Other_Emu_Official logs in and notices?

yeah, someone will come online at some point and if someone's doing something bad enough to get noticed they'll get told off - if they keep doing the same thing they'll get kicked. If no devs or GM's on at the time, the offender is lucky but their luck prolly won't hold out for long.

Cunt is definitely a bit below standards. But what you said about "the use of 4 letter words, the "N" word", that is a bit unclear.

Did he say nagger or n00b? The reason I ask is because I have experienced the highest ranks of the carebear police who are offended at the word "n00b".

Surely the chat filter is not going to be so strict that you cannot say noob or newb...

I'm not sure but I think it may have been "THE N" word.

The one that Mark Fuhrman was so fond of?

Oh and that "C" word will get you more than just a suspension in most US companies. It is considered harassment and will get you a one way ticket to the front door. So if these were kids, I look at it as a valuable lesson in curbing ones tongue in social settings. And if they were adults they should know better.

Edited by Mimir

Mimir, I am just a mere infidel non-American. So I have no clue who you are talking about.

Non-americans only really know the president and Bill O'Reilly because he is a sort of messenger from god to a lot Americans.

And we know a few movie actors...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

LOL well the Mark Fuhrman was in reference to the OJ trials, I'm sure you heard "If the glove don't fit you must acquit" line? If not I'm sure a google of Mark Fuhrman or OJ will get you the whole story.

I was online when all that nonsense took place. I'm glad a official was online to deal with them. I'm glad u kicked them. Good to see the DEVs and GMs taking care of business. ;)

Keep up the good work.

I was online when all that nonsense took place. I'm glad a official was online to deal with them. I'm glad u kicked them. Good to see the DEVs and GMs

. ;)

Keep up the good work.

:D

26285797.jpg

Heh.

Well, to spell it out for our non-American friends, or anyone else who may be somewhat unfamiliar the sense of public rancor toward certain words for the use of which may fall under the "fighting words" exclusion to Constitutionally protected free speech:

The "N" word is a euphemism for the highly offensive word "n*gger* (insert the letter "i" in place of the asterisk) toward Americans of African ancestry (particularly among those who are of descent from former slaves that derives from a colloquial southern US-accented intonation of the word "Negro", itself a word that should generally not be used in most conversation to refer to African-Americans except where the word exists as a proper noun in the name of various African-American organizations the predate the "euphemism treadmill" that retired the word (Negro) from being used in polite conversation.

That older word itself derives from the French (and most other Romance language cognate words) word for the colour "Black".

For our friends from outside the USA (and presumably Canada, whose population is close enough to the USA for them to be aware of our long and often turbulent history of interracial relations)... to use the "N-word" (also: "N-Bomb") is a mark that the user thereof is either a racist, a backwards reactionary, or the most ignorant and insensitive sort of cretin who is probably unfit for most human company, save for the sort of villainous scum that keeps company of at Stormfront.

As for the certain four-letter "C"-word that rhymes with last syllable of "Reactor Shunt", no woman should have to endure that word, much less the multitude of foul language words uttered these days by men in their presence (I'm probably a somewhat old codger who believes that intelligent men should conduct themselves as gentlemen in front of a lady, to include refraining from making demeaning references to reproductive organs in their presence).

Bear in mind also, that even if the constitutionality of whether or not the restriction against using foul language violates the first amendment of the US Constitution...

... this web site, and the server that hosts the emulator are privately owned property. The owners can set any rules (see also: Terms of Service) they like. And that includes monitoring or restricting the use of whatever speech they deem fit. :)

• Upvote 2

At least we can all agree on one thing: droppers of the N-bomb are to be despised.

I agree whole-heartedly . . . but do we need a very special explanation for those those that steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that there are specific cultural differences between the people playing this game across the globe? I, personally, was quite surprised to find that some of our members were incapable of effectively using search engines and I now realize that my assumption that anyone playing this game was probably somewhat tech-savvy was not well founded. So my concern would be that such people would continue to have a difficult time without every thing being spelled out to them . . . slowly . . . so that they could understand these issues.

This thread seems to be going nowhere positive in the near future, so lets stop belittleing each other shall we :-)

Noted. Locked.

Nevermind, you got there first, lol.

Edited by C Del