Anyone else hate the opening video? Remove it!

This is a step-by-step (in Windows) to remove the opening video (no one wants to see that logo pop up anymore :) )

1. Find the .bik files listed in Earth & Beyond/data/client/mixfiles

They would be as follows:

EB_Sizzle.bik

eb_ws_logo.bik

2. Rename each of these by adding .old to the end. They should look like this:

EB_Sizzle.bik.old

eb_ws_logo.bik.old

3. Create a new txt file by right clicking in the folder and selecting new and text document.

Name the text document:

EB_Sizzle.bik

4. Create another new txt file just like the instruction above.

Name the text document:

eb_ws_logo.bik

5. Voila! No more startup video!

If anything goes wrong, or you want to revert back, just remove the created documents and take the .old extension off the original documents

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

all u gotta do is press esc, or space bar, or click the mouse and the video will stop instead of going theu all the hassle of renaming this and renaming that.

Edited by Starfox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

thanks Mr Turnip, it's a good tip for people who don't like to watch the intro every time. The only drawback is that you'll have to repeat the process each time there's a client patch, and you'll have to sit through an extensive patching process for both those videos. I'm not sure if we can exclude those movies from the patch process, it'd certainly help.

I still like it even though I've seen it god knows how many times, but to be honest I mostly skip it while I'm debugging things.

• Upvote 1

thanks Mr Turnip, it's a good tip for people who don't like to watch the intro every time. The only drawback is that you'll have to repeat the process each time there's a client patch, and you'll have to sit through an extensive patching process for both those videos. I'm not sure if we can exclude those movies from the patch process, it'd certainly help.

I still like it even though I've seen it god knows how many times, but to be honest I mostly skip it while I'm debugging things.

Hello,

I also like the opening video and find myself watching it about twice aweek, but an idea came to me (oh God, Merlin has another stupid idea). Have you seen the funny video of Hitler talking about EnB & Sunset? Wouldn't it be a blast to throw that in just once on a patch? Problie a bad idea (I have lots of them), but if you haven't seen it yet you should watch it! TTYL :-)

Merlin

• Upvote 3

Hello,

I also like the opening video and find myself watching it about twice aweek, but an idea came to me (oh God, Merlin has another stupid idea). Have you seen the funny video of Hitler talking about EnB & Sunset? Wouldn't it be a blast to throw that in just once on a patch? Problie a bad idea (I have lots of them), but if you haven't seen it yet you should watch it! TTYL :-)

Merlin

LOL. That's crazy. Like this guy -

A "CYA" item:

As hateful as the EA logo might be to some - I think there might an issue should an EA staffer by chance download some future version of the client and find that somebody has scrubbed the EA trademarks and logo from the product.

That not to say that EA would react to it - but why give a loaded gun and more ammo to the bear? :P

• Upvote 1

These are my 2 cents.

I love the video. . . it actually brought forth a emotional response when i first started playing (beginning of ST-4)

it may not be a good idea to remove the EA logo . . . some one may take issue with it and disrupt the project.

same as most of us wanting to remove everything that has to do with EA

I do think we should have a way to bypass it to not be forced to see it all the time, such as if you crash

on a side note if you have the ability to change the video here is one YOU should use

• 10 months later...
Just a thought here, EA has the ability to censor us entirely, yet they allow us to have our fun with a game they no longer wish to support. Allowing us to do this is an act of benevolence, and should be viewed as something to praise them for...

Hmm. Did I just say we should forgive Charles Manson because he planted some flowers? :blink:

Oh well IMHO I like the video and will play it at least once a week and hit ESC the rest of the time.