Mining Thoughts and Observations

Mainly to Merlin, but here are some general thoughts/observations I have on the tremendous work you've been doing on the fields! Hopefully none of it comes off as criticism as it's not intended to be in any way, shape or form. I wanted to wait until I had a chance to really mine a lot and get a feel for what I remember on Live and what's been changed before posting anything. I love bulleted lists, so that's what you get!

• I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the Bonus XP for clearing a field. In one hand, I like it because it gives you a reason to mine the entire field rather than just cherry picking. On the other hand, I kind of dislike it because it really makes it difficult to continually mine. You clear a field and then you have to move on to another one. In some places this is a bit of a hindrance as you have to wait for the fields to respawn and you're either sitting around waiting or you need to move to a different system. I think I would be more into it if...
    • The respawn time was faster
    • There were more like-level fields (e.g. rather than having 2 fields in one system that are lvl8/9 - have 3-4), this way at least by the time you're done mining all of them, the first will have respawned.
    • The fields were far larger - however, if the fields are really large, I'd rather see a more diverse set of prospect stuff (e.g. mix in hydro, glowing, rocks and gas like it was in Live). More on this below.
    • In other words, I would gladly trade that Bonus XP for very large fields or continually respawning fields like those that we in live.

[*]In line with that, I also worry about what mining will be like if the player base gets much larger. If you've got a lot of people mining and the current respawn time, mining it going to become less interesting and more of a battle. This may be your intention though, I don't know. But I myself like to mine because it's something I find it oddly relaxing.[*]It also makes it a little difficult to mine with other people. Especially on the smaller fields. You have a lot of huge gas areas that are great for mining parties, but I've at least not seen anything comparable with non-gas items. When I see someone in a field or come into a field I'm already mining, I instantly feel a sense of dread that I've now got to compete for the stuff that I want to mine.[*]I'd like to see lvl8/9 fields have a little less lvl7s (or any lvl combination for that matter). In fact, it'd be nice if you got rid of them completely from those fields. Mainly because it just adds more stuff you need to store in your cargo.. especially when you get like 1 lvl7 rock the entire time. Sure, include some lvl7 stuff in the lvl8s but when the lvl7s are there, you're also getting lvl6 stuff, so that's 4 lvls of rocks you have to carry around, sort and deal with if you just want to go out and mine to your hearts content.[*]I also feel like I would prefer seeing mixed field types over the 1 in a specific field - like it was in live. There are a few places that you do this nicely - like in Arg Prime near the planet (I forget it's exact nav point off hand) - but it's got pretty much everything there.[*]I love that you're splitting things of the same level across systems. It makes it much easier to mine as you don't have to worry as much about your cargo filling up with stacks of 2 or 3 mined things and stacks of 100+[*]Hulks would be awesome and it does add a bit of diversity/realism to mining. From what I remember on Live, 99% of the time it was worthless junk loot. When you get around to implementing them... if you could make it more interesting, that'd be awesome.[*]I'm seeing a lot of stuff that is say lvl8 only have lvl7 things in it. This makes me a bit sad :)[*]I haven't been back to Primus in awhile and it's not listed in your recent ore location list, however, I did notice that you posted something some time ago about that area being updated. The last time I was there, the fields were mostly Hydrogen.[*]There is a field in Freya between the hidden asteroids that used to be mining spot (towards the Rag gate) and Nif nav 2... it's been awhile since I've been there - I think it's mostly lvl6/7 Crystal and Glowing with a few lvl8s mixed in. The glowing had a lot of hydrogen in them. The crystals were all ok.[*]Speaking of Freya... I feel like the crystal field near along the Nif navs should be upgraded to 8/9 mostly if you're going to have lvl46 Sults coming after you from obscene distances. I'm not sure what it is about Naggys, but they all seem to have a ridiculously high scan range. This may have been updated with the June Content Update though, I have not been back to look. Or leave it the same and keep the Naggys at a safer distance and throw in some level appropriate mobs that come after you (like the bio hunters, in other fields)

So that's it, I think. Again, hopefully none of this comes off as criticism. I love what you're doing and I love that I am able to mine again!

how about changing the way gas cloud spawns work so that they respawn independently like they used to a few months ago, but keep the rocky/crystal/hydro spawns to a field respawn with bonus? I really like the completion thing of clearing a field and moving on to the next.

I have seen some HUGE fields full of rocky asteroids out shepard/cooper way (I think), but yes there's still a lot to do. We should have hulks dropping nice things very soon. The server is ready to do it, we're just waiting for the items to be added!

I am down with dropping the clearing bonus and have fields respawn faster... this would stop the people that cry about cherry pickers... and the faster respawn time takes care of the rest...

what is the despawn timer on a rock once it has been opened... maybe shorten that so fresh rocks pop when people cherry pick

@Tienbau - Now that you mention Shepard, I do remember seeing a large rock field or two there. Granted they were all lvl6 if I remember correctly. I've not touched Cooper yet. I'm not sure if I'm high enough CL wise to handle the mobs. But then again I'm going off previous game memory and it's about time that I went and checked it out. :)

@Avani I agree. The more I think about it the more I'd rather just have faster respawn times or continually respawing fields. In all honesty, I can mine that bonus XP faster than the respawn time if the roids were already there. The XP's not really the point, it's easy enough as a miner to get EL XP ... I'm more interested in just getting stuff in my cargo.

Maybe it could be possible to have some of the higher level stuff be more like live or the gas clouds that Tienbau is referring to? At that level, your main concern isn't the XP but getting the stuff in your cargo. Granted, that adds a lot more complexity.

I've also noticed that there's very little market chatter about buying/selling mined stuff. I'm not sure if it is because there's not much demand for it yet, that there aren't enough miners or that since people can easily create a second account for mining, that they just do that.

Hello,

I will do my best to cover the points you have made and I do like to get feed back like this as it will only make my job easier if I know what the players are thinking.

Mainly to Merlin, but here are some general thoughts/observations I have on the tremendous work you've been doing on the fields! Hopefully none of it comes off as criticism as it's not intended to be in any way, shape or form. I wanted to wait until I had a chance to really mine a lot and get a feel for what I remember on Live and what's been changed before posting anything. I love bulleted lists, so that's what you get!

• I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the Bonus XP for clearing a field. In one hand, I like it because it gives you a reason to mine the entire field rather than just cherry picking. On the other hand, I kind of dislike it because it really makes it difficult to continually mine. You clear a field and then you have to move on to another one. In some places this is a bit of a hindrance as you have to wait for the fields to respawn and you're either sitting around waiting or you need to move to a different system. I think I would be more into it if...
    • The respawn time was faster

Merlin: I will talk to the other devs/programmers about this as this as of the moment is hard coated into the server at 30 min

• There were more like-level fields (e.g. rather than having 2 fields in one system that are lvl8/9 - have 3-4), this way at least by the time you're done mining all of them, the first will have respawned.
    Merlin: Ok, at the moment when I set a field to say lvl 7 I have to put 2 lvl's below & 2 lvl's above in the field or you will get that fun lvl 2 helium! This will problie change in the weeks to come.
    • The fields were far larger - however, if the fields are really large, I'd rather see a more diverse set of prospect stuff (e.g. mix in hydro, glowing, rocks and gas like it was in Live). More on this below.

Merlin: I did have some fields that were around 250, but, it would mess up the clear bouns in that players were getting neg points, so to be safe the highest roid count can not be over 100

• In other words, I would gladly trade that Bonus XP for very large fields or continually respawning fields like those that we in live.

Merlin: I see no problem in haveing both and will see about makeing it happen, but can not promise anything until after I talk to the others first.

• In line with that, I also worry about what mining will be like if the player base gets much larger. If you've got a lot of people mining and the current respawn time, mining it going to become less interesting and more of a battle. This may be your intention though, I don't know. But I myself like to mine because it's something I find it oddly relaxing.
Merlin: I also find mining relaxing and that is why I have lobbied to keep the mobs in ore fields down to a min or none at all.
  • It also makes it a little difficult to mine with other people. Especially on the smaller fields. You have a lot of huge gas areas that are great for mining parties, but I've at least not seen anything comparable with non-gas items. When I see someone in a field or come into a field I'm already mining, I instantly feel a sense of dread that I've now got to compete for the stuff that I want to mine.

Merlin: There are many large ore fields that you problie have not found yet. All I will say is that if you see big open areas it might be worth while to free warp

and take a look around.

• I'd like to see lvl8/9 fields have a little less lvl7s (or any lvl combination for that matter). In fact, it'd be nice if you got rid of them completely from those fields. Mainly because it just adds more stuff you need to store in your cargo.. especially when you get like 1 lvl7 rock the entire time. Sure, include some lvl7 stuff in the lvl8s but when the lvl7s are there, you're also getting lvl6 stuff, so that's 4 lvls of rocks you have to carry around, sort and deal with if you just want to go out and mine to your hearts content.
Merlin: Can't be done at the moment.
  • I also feel like I would prefer seeing mixed field types over the 1 in a specific field - like it was in live. There are a few places that you do this nicely - like in Arg Prime near the planet (I forget it's exact nav point off hand) - but it's got pretty much everything there.

Merlin: Ok, the way I am doing it right now is that I am only placing 1 ore type per field. If you see a mix that meens there is more then one field there.

• I love that you're splitting things of the same level across systems. It makes it much easier to mine as you don't have to worry as much about your cargo filling up with stacks of 2 or 3 mined things and stacks of 100+
Merlin: Don't you just hated it when you had to run to the damm station every 20 min's to unlaod?
  • Hulks would be awesome and it does add a bit of diversity/realism to mining. From what I remember on Live, 99% of the time it was worthless junk loot. When you get around to implementing them... if you could make it more interesting, that'd be awesome.

Merlin: They are coming

• I'm seeing a lot of stuff that is say lvl8 only have lvl7 things in it. This makes me a bit sad :)
Merlin: David & Tienbau have tryed to get this problem fixed. In live if you saw a lvl 7 rock 100% of the time it had a lvl 7 ore in it and about 25% of the time it had 1
lvl above and 50% of the time it had 1 lvl below.
  • I haven't been back to Primus in awhile and it's not listed in your recent ore location list, however, I did notice that you posted something some time ago about that area being updated. The last time I was there, the fields were mostly Hydrogen.

Merlin: Will be getting there but not yet. I want to finish Sol system first then will move onto the other systems.

• There is a field in Freya between the hidden asteroids that used to be mining spot (towards the Rag gate) and Nif nav 2... it's been awhile since I've been there - I think it's mostly lvl6/7 Crystal and Glowing with a few lvl8s mixed in. The glowing had a lot of hydrogen in them. The crystals were all ok.
Merlin: If it is the one I am thinking about it is lvl 7-9 now
  • Speaking of Freya... I feel like the crystal field near along the Nif navs should be upgraded to 8/9 mostly if you're going to have lvl46 Sults coming after you from obscene distances. I'm not sure what it is about Naggys, but they all seem to have a ridiculously high scan range. This may have been updated with the June Content Update though, I have not been back to look. Or leave it the same and keep the Naggys at a safer distance and throw in some level appropriate mobs that come after you (like the bio hunters, in other fields)

Merlin: I know that spot well and is a favorite hunting spot for me. I will check out Freya next time I am in the sector editer and might move the fields a bit.

So that's it, I think. Again, hopefully none of this comes off as criticism. I love what you're doing and I love that I am able to mine again!

Ok I hope that helps clear up somethings. Redoing the ore fields has been slow going and now I have to report just what I am doing to the leads of the sectors. This is ok, but it does slow things down a bit. Where I could do 3 to 5 sectors in a day now I am lucky to get 1 done. I am hopeing by the end of summer to be finished with all the sectors and then another month or 2 to fine tune them. Now to your point as to players fighting over the fields, well lets just say there are alot more fields then you think and the miners that take the time to really look will be in for some nice surprises! TTYL :-)

Merlin

Maybe it could be possible to have some of the higher level stuff be more like live or the gas clouds that Tienbau is referring to? At that level, your main concern isn't the XP but getting the stuff in your cargo. Granted, that adds a lot more complexity.

the system at the moment is modeled off the live system, which treats the field as a whole, rather than the earlier system we used to have which was just something I knocked up to get us working, before there was a concept of fields.

I guess the old system was a lot better for people who like to just sit in one place mining, but where's the fun in that? It's not like you have to go far to find another field. If there's a material that's needed for building or whatever perhaps we could add fields nearby - the sectors have more of a minerals theme now so you'd find similar materials. By the time that field had been cleared, the previous field would have respawned. This way you get a bit of an organic feel to things, and mining expertise comes in.

Maybe we could even have a mix of both? Some fields could keep the 'live' system like it is now, and others could have individually respawning asteroids. The large fields with the clearing bonus are popular with mining groups, whereas I guess the old system is better for people wanting to stay in the same place.

Still, once the pop rocks are in, it'll liven up the old style fields a bit.

Not to be a stickler, but the system we have now is not how it was in live. In live there was no field clearing bonus like we use now. Fields slowly repopulated like mob spawns. Otherwise you wouldn't of had people mining gas in Glenn like they did in live if it was how we do it now.

Not to be a stickler, but the system we have now is not how it was in live. In live there was no field clearing bonus like we use now. Fields slowly repopulated like mob spawns. Otherwise you wouldn't of had people mining gas in Glenn like they did in live if it was how we do it now.

ok guv'nor, I wuz going by what I wuz told! Maybe the system changed throughout the life of 'live'. I do remember fields respawning as a whole though. But maybe this was after they'd been cherry picked ?

ok how about we make the mining bonus work via a 'mining rate', where to get the bonus you have to race against the clock, in some cases actually needing a team to achieve it, because if the first asteroid to be mined respawns before you clear them all, the bonus is forefit?

Then, if you want to casually mine a field and stay on it, you can, if you're after the bonus, you can do that too - everyone's a winner :) So a roid would respawn a certain time after it was mined, rather than waiting until a set time after the last mining activity.

Or, have the hidden fields on the regular slow respawn, then have fields at regular navs (the ones with field guardians) on a race against time system, this would encourage players to group up to get the bonus and kill the guardians.

Hello,

Now as to the ore fields if you want to make the "Exactlly" like they were in Live then each roid/gas has to have it's own timer. This is why it was imposible to clear the gas field in Glenn in Live. Tienbau, before making any changes to the ore fields I would like to have a sit down with you about them. I would really like it to be in voice chat if possible as believe it or not typing is not my favorite thing to do. Also and I am not trying to step on any toes here, but if I am incharge of the ore fields then I do need to be incharge of them and it should be Me, Tienbau & or David that figure them out. I have already seen someone do some changes to the ore fields and they did not talk to me first. All I ask is that I get the same respect when it comes to the ore fields as I have been asked to give the other dev's. I am now writting a report of when I do the ore fields in a sector and even though it now takes me 4 times longer to do a sector I understand the reason for doing so. So all I ask is that before any changes are made that we can talk about them first. TTYL :-)

Merlin

Hello,

Now as to the ore fields if you want to make the "Exactlly" like they were in Live then each roid/gas has to have it's own timer. This is why it was imposible to clear the gas field in Glenn in Live. Tienbau, before making any changes to the ore fields I would like to have a sit down with you about them. I would really like it to be in voice chat if possible as believe it or not typing is not my favorite thing to do. Also and I am not trying to step on any toes here, but if I am incharge of the ore fields then I do need to be incharge of them and it should be Me, Tienbau & or David that figure them out. I have already seen someone do some changes to the ore fields and they did not talk to me first. All I ask is that I get the same respect when it comes to the ore fields as I have been asked to give the other dev's. I am now writting a report of when I do the ore fields in a sector and even though it now takes me 4 times longer to do a sector I understand the reason for doing so. So all I ask is that before any changes are made that we can talk about them first. TTYL :-)

Merlin

ok so from what you guys are saying the hybrid system would be the best one - go back to individual timers for each asteroid but retain the clearance bonuses in case a team manage to clear the whole field before the first asteroid to be mined respawns, to make getting the bonus a race against time.

I'll PM you about TS today too.

when you say "we're waiting for the hulk items to be added" do you mean from a tools perspective? If I have any way to contribute to hulk development let me know. I would love to get started on that.

ok so from what you guys are saying the hybrid system would be the best one - go back to individual timers for each asteroid but retain the clearance bonuses in case a team manage to clear the whole field before the first asteroid to be mined respawns, to make getting the bonus a race against time.

Yes, that sounds like a good solution!

P.S. I did go check out Cooper. Sadly the 3 Ten-gu guarding the fields are too high for me. I'll definitely have to pillage those fields later!

Merlin, I spotted the new(?) field in Freya with lvl8/9 crystals and shiny roids as well as the big chain field in Earth - both of which I like very much. :lol:

I'd still like to see a slightly higher number of lvl9 roids added to the mix. Especially with the issue of not always have the correct lvl in the roid (e.g. there's a lvl8 in a lvl9 roid but no lvl9). Right now it looks to be roughly 10% or so in most fields. Just a small bump, like15- 20%?

Yes, that sounds like a good solution!

P.S. I did go check out Cooper. Sadly the 3 Ten-gu guarding the fields are too high for me. I'll definitely have to pillage those fields later!

if you wanna go mine that cooper field gimme a shout and Ill ride along shotgun :lol:

The fields were far larger - however, if the fields are really large, I'd rather see a more diverse set of prospect stuff (e.g. mix in hydro, glowing, rocks and gas like it was in Live). More on this below.

I see it like this, people complained about too many types of ores in a single field and Merlin bent over backwards to make people happy. Now you can mine a field without going to a station 3 times and get a bonus and move on. Not everyone can be completely satisfied, they are taking a small step for mankind to bring pleasure back to humanity. The only way this will be "like it was in live" now is to hop in a time machine and land 6 years ago. This is baby steps...I for one am happy to be back in the fields picking anything.

Merlin, I spotted the new(?) field in Freya with lvl8/9 crystals and shiny roids as well as the big chain field in Earth - both of which I like very much. :lol:

I'd still like to see a slightly higher number of lvl9 roids added to the mix. Especially with the issue of not always have the correct lvl in the roid (e.g. there's a lvl8 in a lvl9 roid but no lvl9). Right now it looks to be roughly 10% or so in most fields. Just a small bump, like15- 20%?

Amended... Tonight I have been looking for Grail Water using the list you provide as systems to find specific ores in. Presently, I've gone to 13 fields of hydrocarbons that are at least 75 and most probably at the 100 count. I have found 2 Grail Waters. The lvl9 stuff really needs to be bumped up. =(

Hello,

I will do my best to cover the points you have made and I do like to get feed back like this as it will only make my job easier if I know what the players are thinking.

Ok I hope that helps clear up somethings. Redoing the ore fields has been slow going and now I have to report just what I am doing to the leads of the sectors. This is ok, but it does slow things down a bit. Where I could do 3 to 5 sectors in a day now I am lucky to get 1 done. I am hopeing by the end of summer to be finished with all the sectors and then another month or 2 to fine tune them. Now to your point as to players fighting over the fields, well lets just say there are alot more fields then you think and the miners that take the time to really look will be in for some nice surprises! TTYL :-)

Merlin

I have yet to see any ore fields being "fought over" by players, but I'm not all-seeing either. Perhaps it isn't so much what is where but with mob agro, level of mob relative to level of ore, and/or location of the ore itself.

mob agro is still a pain you don't get single mobs but what feels like sector hate

having for example; lvl 25ish-30ish mobs around level 1-3 ore fields can create deterrent for mining

high level ores in low level areas and vice versa... nice to have the high level ones in lower level areas, but it does encourage camping, on the other hand low level ore fields in high level mob sectors aren't worth the effort to mine.

could the explore bonus be adding some "territoriality" in the ore fields? perhaps one person or group has started mining with the intention of clearing the field to have someone else or another group show up with the same intention? I've had my combat jobs killed by people who are group mining for explore xp, I guess they saw it as a "bonus" of some combat xp. That being said I'm of the thought that maybe the bonus xp is becoming more of an issue than incentive not to cherry pick.

I remember the mining/combat ops in Uranus in st3, I miss them, but with mob agro and being jobs are in game I can see where people would rather do those. Also population seems very sparse in some time zones so finding a group in really hard right now. Some of my friends are also caught up in the endless grind of the "bonus missions" that seem to go on forever so we don't group much.

I hope we don't keep changing things to create and environment of "what people want" instead of the original goal of recreating what live was and move forward from there. I already don't play the class I love due to what I feel has become a single minded goal to make me play as directed and not have to abililty to choose how I want to play. I don't respond well to carrots on sticks, rewards dangled for the sole purpose of conformance to a defined path, or having my enjoyment curtailed because of how others think I should "play".

• 1 month later...

I hope I will see more fields just with level IX ores only in the future.

And not just a selection of IXs - all types of IXs - basically one field supplies all.

I was hoping to mine enough IXs to build components for a few Archos guns for my own use - however I've struggled in a few hours to find enough for just one gun! The fields that I've found contain mostly VIIIs and the odd handful of IXs. And I've been all over the place, lol.

On the other hand getting Apollonite VII and Discordite VI to make ammo components is easy.

I will have to go rip some components in Earth/Jupiter/Mars for the Archos.

:)

I hope I will see more fields just with level IX ores only in the future.

And not just a selection of IXs - all types of IXs - basically one field supplies all.

I was hoping to mine enough IXs to build components for a few Archos guns for my own use - however I've struggled in a few hours to find enough for just one gun! The fields that I've found contain mostly VIIIs and the odd handful of IXs. And I've been all over the place, lol.

On the other hand getting Apollonite VII and Discordite VI to make ammo components is easy.

I will have to go rip some components in Earth/Jupiter/Mars for the Archos.

:)

I kind of agree with this. There should be a few pure L9 orefields hidden throughout the game, I think it should be more common to find a few L9 prospectables mixed in with L8 ores, or maybe evne orefields that are L7-L9. Most pure L9 orefields should be off the beaten path, and require a explorers to look for them. I think that in terms of orefield guardinas, there should be, depending on the size of the field 1-3 mobs that can be either avoided by an explorer, or killed in a one on one fight with an Explorer, using the right tactics and the right gear.

It keeps rolling around in my head that each rock had a small bonus for taking all the ore in it and that even if you took just one (cherry picked) it would respawn in live. To be honest I don't remember bonuses for clearing fields.

It feels like: "I know you need ore x, but if you clear the field you can have y amount of bonus xp"

If I'm a component builder and need one ore, is it realistic to expect me to clear an entire field? We miners will take the whole field just for the sake of the clear and because we enjoy mining. There are times I'm sure someone might be building an item and just need that one piece of ore; maybe they have to log and want to finish the item/get ready for a raid that won't wait for them to clear a field/don't have the cargo space needed to properly clear and finish their build. There are many reasons to not clear a field, all valid at the time.

Might I suggest instead of a field clear bonus or rock clear bonus we boost the trade xp for refining? boost the explore xp per rock? This might compensate for cherry picking and accomodate rl situations as well (being in middle of clear and you're needed for a rl emergency/situation that takes you away from game) Perhaps it will help people "share" more and take away the concern about "bonuses" or "this is my field don't mess up my bonus" or I cleared it and got no bonus, not knowing someone had to log out for rl situation halfway through the field; which means neither player gets the bonus and you guys start getting bugged about "ore fields are bugged/broken".

To be honest sometimes it is a bit difficult to see where one field ends and another begins so can be confusing if you're working an area and someone else comes along.

I like the mixed ores in fields, too; it's just like killing a mob they don't always have level specific loot on them ;-). I'm sure it'll get ironed out content wise to be more of the level appropriate with some other levels in it. I'm not against have a few that are pure level x, y, or z, just not a lot of them, that would take some of the fun away ;-)

I have been in several sectors recently, yesterday I saw several "markers" where I know it's planned for ore or gas fields. We need to be a little more patient and allow Merlin to do his thing so it's done and not buggy when we do mine it.

Like you said Merlin it's still a work in progress.

*True miners don't care what level it is, or what critter is in the field, they mine it anyway*

Edit:

Perhaps you could give us updates when you post the ore lists? So we can see how it's progressing instead of having multiple threads started on the same topic?

Edited by Khara
  • Upvote 1

Humm.... i think there's actually quite a bit of level 9 ore. With the pure level 9 ore comes the guardians and the hard to kill pop rocks, atleast thats what i remember. Long as we don't have manes that gravewell you so you can't move for ten years its starting to look decent. Looking forward to hulks having useful items in them, and not just proto gear.

Heh, I just found out about the field clearing bonus last night. It was a pleasant surprise as I wasn't expecting it. Back in Live I usually mined everything in sight.

So as it stands now you have 30min to clear a field before the rocks start respawning?

How is it determined as to who gets the bonus if there's multiple miners?

With a 30min timer I could see a contention if more miners are online. Yeah we could find another area but everyone has their favorite spots.

Might I suggest instead of a field clear bonus or rock clear bonus we boost the trade xp for refining? boost the explore xp per rock? This might compensate for cherry picking and accomodate rl situations as well (being in middle of clear and you're needed for a rl emergency/situation that takes you away from game) Perhaps it will help people "share" more and take away the concern about "bonuses" or "this is my field don't mess up my bonus" or I cleared it and got no bonus, not knowing someone had to log out for rl situation halfway through the field; which means neither player gets the bonus and you guys start getting bugged about "ore fields are bugged/broken".

My thoughts exactly. People would be more reluctant to share a field if they are all vying for the clear bonus.