"Sniper Weapon" for TS (Terran Scout)

any chance we can make this gun fun to use and leave equipped... I really really like the idea... but each time you post it sounds like more of a burden to carry this thing aruond... I mean next thing you know this will be a 1% controller drop...

dont take me wrong... I want this weapon and idea to be reality... but it has to have a raid and non-raid use... the game moves pretty fast

That would be more on the order of a nuke? :D

I do know I want to be around when you / we test it.

It'll be like testing at Bikini Atoll, we can wear dark glasses

and have a count down, WTH, we can put a few Progen ships out

there too. :)

baker45.jpg

Phor..

I'm hoping it would be a L135 "affiliation" quest item (guaranteed reward item) in lieu of a meaningful orefield guardian mitigation skill like PE's "Powerdown/Menace" and JE's "Cloak".

The balancing act lies with having the weapon being powerful enough in a raid to make the TS a wanted commodity, but not so overpowered that a TS could two-shot the Controller or GoBB (notwithstanding any new AI for the various minions these two mobs have).

A comparison might be in order:

PW - massive, sustained DPS used as point defense/close-in gunnery

TW - moderately heavy DPS as long ranged, but moderately long reload time/ammo-to-target hit time

JW - massive burst DPS, zero delay damage, high risk of interdiction (i.e. JW pulls whopping amounts of hate, gets ventilated)

PE - (somewhat less) massive, sustained DPS used as point defense/close-in gunnery

TS - ultra-heavy, burst DPS, ultra-long reload, potentially very long ammo-to-target time, moderate to potentially very high risk of interdiction

JE - weak DPS, zero delay damage, somewhat high risk of interdiction

In theory, a particularly effective application of the TS with Goddard would be Kuei Station (which iirc, does not move aside from rotating on its axes once it is spawned).

The TS could park about 10km downrange of it (managing to avoid the Hellbore carriers and other patrolling parts/carriers) and have a (very long) shot at soloing the thing (it would take a loooong time and a full hold of ammo), given that Kuei's hefty shields and hull and partial shield regeneration in between shots landing.

Or teamed with a group with a PW tank and some healers parked up Kuei's figurative nose, and the TS opposite Kuei and the PW, doing *double* damage (60k+ damage per salvo: that's about 2k damage per second, not counting any modifiers for explosive damage; using a Salamander could get it upwards of 90k per salvo or 3k damage per second)

Meanwhile, the station would be taking damage from the close-in fire team, so no shield regen to worry about.

For FB mobs, this becomes useful for pulling bosses out of packs of trash mobs/minions (assuming we do not have hate linking/shared from bosses to minions, which I do not believe was a factor in Live).

Instead of staging a two-JW team to cloak/summon/teleport away/cloak >> second JD summons mob to killing group... a single or pair of -0.1 sigged TS's with Goddards could open the salvo from a point about 11km up the Z-axis from the boss, backthrust up about 5km, wait 30sec, loose another volley (or second TS looses his volley) ... Boss fish comes steaming up toward the killing party lying in wait for him.

From there, one or both TS's move back to the TT healing bubble, absorbing whatever damage until the PWs and TEs pull hate; then the TS(s) move about 10km down from the action, line up on the fish and a tank... and unleash a double dose of the Goddard, tricking hate off onto the PW.

Now vs. L60 mobs (under 1 million combined shield/hull) and under, a TS could make short work of these, if his timing is right. Again, the DPS is comparable to a PW, but the PW has an easier time of just parking and shooting; the TS has a bit of a dance he must do for the similar effect.

Likewise, any mob under 100k shields/hulls would be a two or three shot kill to a TS with the L9 Goddard Launcher. If I'm not mistaken, that's pretty much anything L40-ish and below.

A missile that has 10,000 damage and is fired every 30 seconds...

to put this into perspective, a single ZET ML at 200% outputs around 3462 damage over 30 seconds.

So the damage produced by a single weapon would be nearly the equivalent of 3 ZET ML's but then inflicted all at once...

This is begging for sniping teams at raids:

6 TS would inflict between 180 and 360k damage to a mob ignoring deflects. Get someone to debuff it and the -40 would probably average the damage at 500k.

I will definitely make a TS if this is implemented as there would be no need for a warrior class :)

I was just tossing out the 10k per round (10k/30sec, or about 334dps) figure as a test number.

This is not to far off from what a PW can do close-in, with weapons turbo buffs.

The TS would ideally engage at 9km-11km away from the mob, well out of range for the other MLs he might have.

Perhaps a weapons-lockout for ranges under 6km to compel the TS to use an appropriate range, or the TS takes damage from using the weapon *way* too close?

For example, certain German torpedoes in WW2 needed to travel straight for a certain distance before the warhead armed (this prevent a hydraulic compression wave from smashing the u-boat that launched it from too-close detonation).

As for the party of 6 TS's ... maybe that could be done against a relatively immobile target such as Kuei station, or might make the Mordana raid a relatively short affair depending upon how much hull/shields those mobs have. Of course, most of the Mordana drops will favour Jenquai, which works out nicely if those TS's are also running Jenquai toons.

But in a gate raid/FB or vs. Controller with other minions waiting to gang up on you... that would seem pretty risky.

The TS doesn't hold up very well vs. focused fire from a CL60+ mob (paper thin shields, thinnest Terran hull) and we would need to move around or work with a tank or healer/tank combo for best results.

Not accounting for how the AI for the hate that boss mobs could or will share to their minions, even having something like the Master or the Warder gunning for you as a TS (or the closest TS in your multi-TS party) will probably result in one or more TS's getting blatted once the mob gets into its firing range.

Again, this is something that should be thoroughly tested if it can be coded at all.

Lastly, let's say we have this 6x TS party dishing out 500k damage collectively (they all fan out more or less evenly in a circle around the raid boss/CL66 mob) ... most CL65/66 mobs have well in excess of 2-3 million hull+shield points. The epic raid bosses (master and his cronies) have upwards of 8 million.

Assuming that this party can survive - remember, there is NO capacity for healing here, aside from improved area hull patch (which when after your shields are dead, is a group of wiry 15-year old boys like tossing a box of band-aids into the air when trying to take down Mike Tyson: once he is close enough to club you, you goin' down)...

- assuming the party can survive, it would take anywhere from 2-5 minutes to bring down a that multi-million point mob. And that also assumes everything goes off PERFECTLY.

Would it be overpowered vs. mid-high 50's mob? It might, and it might become a preferred class to fish for ammo comp mobs (shoot from a distance, thrust up/away another 7-8km as quick as you can, pop off another round... same for picking of drones and Chavez of the same level.

But in the end, no more overpowered than the PW who can "melee" toe to toe, or the kiting classes that can engage mobs the PW would have no hope of soloing in close.

• 5 months later...