"Sniper Weapon" for TS (Terran Scout)

Whacky idea:

Scouts are long range, fast patrolling light cavalry (in an old Earth military context).

Typically they did not engage enemy pickets (though they might make probing attacks to test enemy strength in an area).

Armanents carried by mounted scouts were of two types - short range carbines (or shortbows in the case of horsed archers) or less frequently, a sniper rifle.

For EnB, I'd like to propose a special ML line that is scout only:

Heavy damage, ultra long range, very slow reload, massive hate modifier when successfully used. The Scout CANNOT kite with it, as he would have to hold a motion vector of exactly zero for the duration of its "charging time" to even be able to fire it.

This would be the OL135 "Affiliation" bonus for the Scout, guns and ammo available only at Margresi from a GETCo NPC.

Upgrades through L9 available from the same NPC; ammo would be vendor only, sold by the weapons vendor at Margresi.

L7 Goddard Launcher (uses same icon as the Excellent ML Type A line)

- Unique

- Non-Tradeable

- Non-Manufacturable

- Critical Targeting +5% (equipped)

- Weapons Damage Control +25% (equipped)

- Missile Energy Conservation +10% (equipped)

- Prospect Skill +3.0 (equipped)

Range: 10.5km

Ammo: Gen. Von Bismarck's Explosive Goddard Missile

Reload: 1 round every 30 seconds at zero velocity.

Est. DPS: 60 per round/second

Notes: This Garand Launcher is custom built by the Special Weapons Division of GETCo for Hyperian Explorers who have proven their loyalty to the principles of the Company. Please note that accuracy can only be guaranteed when the weapons platform is completely still; use of this weapon while in motion may result in critical systems damage.

The upgrades are as follows: ------------------------------------------------

L8 Improved Goddard Launcher (uses same icon as the Excellent ML Type A line)

- Unique

- Non-Tradeable

- Non-Manufacturable

- Critical Targeting +7.5% (equipped)

- Weapons Damage Control +30% (equipped)

- Missile Energy Conservation +12.5% (equipped)

- Prospect Skill +3.5 (equipped)

Range: 11km

Reload: 2 round every 30 seconds at zero velocity.

Est. DPS: 120 per round/second

-------------------------------------------------

L9 Most Improved Goddard Launcher (uses same icon as the Excellent ML Type A line)

- Unique

- Non-Tradeable

- Non-Manufacturable

- Critical Targeting +10% (equipped)

- Weapons Damage Control +35% (equipped)

- Missile Energy Conservation +15% (equipped)

- Prospect Skill +4.0 (equipped)

- Weakens enemy impact resistance

Range: 11km

Reload: 3 rounds every 30 seconds at zero velocity.

Est. DPS: 180 per round/second

-------------------------------------------------

L7 Ammo: Gen. Von Bismarck's Explosive Goddard Missile

- Non-Manufacturable

- Explosive ML ammo

- DPS: 60 per round/second

- Minimum Absolute Explosive Damage per round: 1,800

- Stacks to 50 rounds per stack.

Edited by -Seeker-

I like it, but it feels wrong for something named after the M1 Garand to be a missile launcher instead of a PL. It would add a cool unique element to the scout and make him more useful in combat it seems.

I am not to sure about the massive hate modifier part... if its a sniper rifle or even a silenced sniper rifle then someone dies and no one knows where it came from... and the way you describe it... its gonna have to be way op... if you can only fire it once... but I like the sniper rifle concept...

I am not to sure about the massive hate modifier part... if its a sniper rifle or even a silenced sniper rifle then someone dies and no one knows where it came from... and the way you describe it... its gonna have to be way op... if you can only fire it once... but I like the sniper rifle concept...

This would be a bit of a departure from the application of a sniper rifle in a RL manner, not accounting for counter sniper ops; general SOP for snipers is "shoot and scoot", because if they stick around to take a second shot, the chances of their position being discovered increase dramatically (acoustics, muzzle flash, and sound of the report of the rifle might be give-aways if the weapon is not properly silenced).

I was vague about this and did not include the mechanics for how the hate modifier might work, but the goal of it would be to make it very difficult for a scout tom solo a mob of equal or greater CL at extremely range with a warp kiting or even a long tether-kite (tether the mob, warp to the opposite end of its tether range, wait 30sec, shoot.... and maybe get a second shot off before it closes to its normal weapons range).

The optimal utility of this weapon would be as an opener:

Since a TS has very good scan range and combat speed, he is best suited to be a raid group driver, and this weapon would be useful to pluck a mob from its buddies, and do substantial damage whilst the mob moves toward the battle group.

I'd like to think of it as a TS take on "summon mob" .

yeah I like that too. Maybe if the mob gets hit by it they are momentarily confused, because they know they hate someone a lot, but they can't see them.

The aiming part is a good idea too, a nice departure from how the weapons work. Also it gives another good reason to have a scout.

One I thought of was a 'super cannon', which involves three ships getting into a certain relative position (not via formations) before they can charge the weapon. On reflection though it's a bit 'power rangers'.

so the way you imagine that working would be having the weapon become active only after being stationary for a few seconds, like the combat trance skill.

How about also - if you're detected by an aggressive MOB and you're equipped with one (or more) of these weapons you become a primary target too? Kinda like everyone wants to hit the sniper first before the tanks?

Oh and ... CHUCK!!! He doesn't need a sniper rifle, he would just walk up and roundhouse the mob, or wrestle it into submission.

• Upvote 1

On reflection though it's a bit 'power rangers'.

Voltron is better :lol:

I still like the idea - think more of species 8472 on Voyager - 4 or 5 ships combined and focused their fire into a super weapon and blew up a planet - sure Chuck could do the same thing, but he's not floating around E&B :)

well if anyone likes the idea (and more to the point would use it) of the super cannon with 3/4 ships in specific position to charge the weapon it would be a lot of fun to code the effects buildup and cannon fire!

Although the thread is about the sniper weapon - is this something we all want or not?

well if anyone likes the idea (and more to the point would use it) of the super cannon with 3/4 ships in specific position to charge the weapon it would be a lot of fun to code the effects buildup and cannon fire!

Although the thread is about the sniper weapon - is this something we all want or not?

Is this not already ingame in some form or other, the V'rix helix formation?

I like the idea of mighty morphin power rangers using a super cannon, but the idea of summoning drones sound more fun.

A strictly TS weapon would be great, I like the idea of a sniper type of gun. Hearing you all talk about a TS makes me want to go make one ( and that

is what I am going to do !!!!)

A sniper weapon were you would have to stay still, have it devastate a single mob (to a point) and have it cost much

energy

or have it make you stuck for 30 seconds to 1 min. (think of self destruct from live)

the only bad part about this is make sure you cant have a pack of TS'es that sits around and ks'es a boss in a raid.

so if you do not want to go for pure damage have this weapon slow/stop the mob or have it drain its reactor, I mean you

have many combinations to coose from. I can just foresee if it is a long range gun 1-2 groups of TS'es can KS a raid.

so if you do not want to go for pure damage have this weapon slow/stop the mob or have it drain its reactor, I mean you

have many combinations to coose from. I can just foresee if it is a long range gun 1-2 groups of TS'es can KS a raid.

IMO and this is just my input.

I like the idea of a Massive area EMP or Hack weapon.

Not too keen on the range thing.

Replace some of the buffs with Reduced Signature by 65% and increased warp and speed,

I think that gives a little more meaning to Scout.

I think we don't want to make something that may or could give an edge if we should have

PVP some day. If the weapon range is increased the Skill range of all the skills should

be modified.

How would you or how could you Defend yourself against this type of weapon or Character?

In a way this is almost like being cloaked.?

This weapon would be apt to a new class "Artillery Gunner"

Phorlaug...

I'll have to try a TS and see really what their about.

Edited by Phorlaug
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this is a kinda glass canon weapon... he is "kinda cloaked" until you get into scan range and one shot his crap ass L8 shields... and lets not even think ahead to any type of pvp... there is enough work to do just to finish the game...

and as for the scout being op in combat... lets see it first and nerf it later (really... show me scout that is a threat lol... gonna take a lot, right now its hard enough being a scout and getting a raid spot)... like one of the devs was saying in another post... sumtin to the like of... not making small gradual changes they make big changes and see what happens...

The Goddard would have its base damage (as listed above) and a charging time (TS has to be motionless for 30sec to use it)

I also like the idea of the aggro mobs detecting the weapon - with the wrinkle that the weapon might put out a particular signature as it charges up for launch that has a chance of being noticed by such an aggro mob.

The exact mechanic I am thinking of is:

TS finds a spot he can try to pot the mob from - remember also that while Goddard has a max range approaching 11km (maybe more if other range-modifiers from shields, engines, reactors, or devices are stacking) - the TS *cannot* move for 30sec prior to the weapon becoming available for use. Meanwhile, the target mob is happily moving around its usual path. Therefore, the outer edge of the TS's range has to overlap the entirety of the mob's travel path, IF he is looking to get two or more shots off before having to move when solo-ing.

Or even just trying to line up the first shot: if I move, the warm-up timer starts over again.

After the 30sec. warm-up, the TS hits his "F" key (or specific weapon slot key) and the Goddard missile flies free from the launch tube. At this point, the missile is in flight, has not it the mob... and the reload timer is cooking off (which basically resets if the TS moves)

But a smart mob might at this point detect the weapon recharging (i.e. "see the muzzle flash before the bullet hits"), and aggro with the full hate modifier in effect (the mob gets a feeling that what's coming toward him is gonna hurt real bad, and it will try to whack the sniper before he can reload).

TS can mitigate this somewhat by "scooting after shooting", but he will still have massive hate on him, whereas other players would not gain hate until after their rounds do damage to the mob.

The roll for weapons detection aggro could also depend upon the relative "intelligence" of the mob - for example, an advanced drone with heuristic AI or an experienced enemy pilot might detect this sooner than an organic critter. Mordana and V'rix might prove to be particularly perceptive about such a sneaky but devastating weapon, for example.

Manes and most other orefield guardians on the other hand, are probably more concerned about guarding their nesting/feeding areas (orefields) and probably don't care much for the subtleties of human or cybernetic tactics.

The weapon itself would be unique and TS-only, thus increasing the utility of the TS to raid groups.

As for formations - perhaps a hate management formation, with the TS positioning opposite the mob at a great distance:

TT TE

---PW<--{PL range}-->MOB<-----{roughly 9~10km}--------->TS (with Goddard ML)

JE PP

...this could serve to direct the hate that would ordinarily go to the TS onto the PW and to double the damage from the Goddard missile when it impacts (a rough parallel of a Rogue "backstab" maneuver in a typical fantasy genre game).

This would be more of a skill thing, as the TS would need to line up on the mob with the PW (or whoever is tanking) directly behind the mob relative to the TS.

As for a pair or trio of TS's using the Goddard KS a raid mob? I would tend to doubt it, on the face of -

a. yanking tons of hate from a mob that could one-shot through L8 shields easily, and

b. although the rounds themselves do very good damage, but the sustained DPS from a group with a TE, PW, PP, etc. will tend to out do that of the Goddard.

Think of it as a bit of an extreme take on what Terrans are best at - tossing missiles around - and ramping up the benefits and faults that go with it (higher single-use damage, longer reload times, lower quantity ammo stacks)

Whoo..

Actually the Progen may see something *similar* as I've been working on for some time. Then again we are 'projectile'. And there are some interesting mobs of mine that would enjoy doing a bit of counter-sniping. Manno-o-Mobbo so to speak.

I'm intrigued by the idea and not throwing mud or anything . . . but knowing how people will naturally look for a loophole just wondering aloud what happens if rather then wait that 30 seconds for reload a player with appropriately buffed Equip Engineering just swaps another one in?

personally while I like the idea of sniper rifle... I dont like this 30 second thing... its like a gift and a nerf all bundleded up into one... just give my TS build reactors and you can have all my weapons and weapon slots...

The Goddard would have its base damage (as listed above) and a charging time (TS has to be motionless for 30sec to use it)

I also like the idea of the aggro mobs detecting the weapon - with the wrinkle that the weapon might put out a particular signature as it charges up for launch that has a chance of being noticed by such an aggro mob.

The exact mechanic I am thinking of is:

TS finds a spot he can try to pot the mob from - remember also that while Goddard has a max range approaching 11km (maybe more if other range-modifiers from shields, engines, reactors, or devices are stacking) - the TS *cannot* move for 30sec prior to the weapon becoming available for use. Meanwhile, the target mob is happily moving around its usual path. Therefore, the outer edge of the TS's range has to overlap the entirety of the mob's travel path, IF he is looking to get two or more shots off before having to move when solo-ing.

Or even just trying to line up the first shot: if I move, the warm-up timer starts over again.

After the 30sec. warm-up, the TS hits his "F" key (or specific weapon slot key) and the Goddard missile flies free from the launch tube. At this point, the missile is in flight, has not it the mob... and the reload timer is cooking off (which basically resets if the TS moves)

But a smart mob might at this point detect the weapon recharging (i.e. "see the muzzle flash before the bullet hits"), and aggro with the full hate modifier in effect (the mob gets a feeling that what's coming toward him is gonna hurt real bad, and it will try to whack the sniper before he can reload).

TS can mitigate this somewhat by "scooting after shooting", but he will still have massive hate on him, whereas other players would not gain hate until after their rounds do damage to the mob.

The roll for weapons detection aggro could also depend upon the relative "intelligence" of the mob - for example, an advanced drone with heuristic AI or an experienced enemy pilot might detect this sooner than an organic critter. Mordana and V'rix might prove to be particularly perceptive about such a sneaky but devastating weapon, for example.

Manes and most other orefield guardians on the other hand, are probably more concerned about guarding their nesting/feeding areas (orefields) and probably don't care much for the subtleties of human or cybernetic tactics.

The weapon itself would be unique and TS-only, thus increasing the utility of the TS to raid groups.

As for formations - perhaps a hate management formation, with the TS positioning opposite the mob at a great distance:

TT TE

---PW<--{PL range}-->MOB<-----{roughly 9~10km}--------->TS (with Goddard ML)

JE PP

...this could serve to direct the hate that would ordinarily go to the TS onto the PW and to double the damage from the Goddard missile when it impacts (a rough parallel of a Rogue "backstab" maneuver in a typical fantasy genre game).

This would be more of a skill thing, as the TS would need to line up on the mob with the PW (or whoever is tanking) directly behind the mob relative to the TS.

As for a pair or trio of TS's using the Goddard KS a raid mob? I would tend to doubt it, on the face of -

a. yanking tons of hate from a mob that could one-shot through L8 shields easily, and

b. although the rounds themselves do very good damage, but the sustained DPS from a group with a TE, PW, PP, etc. will tend to out do that of the Goddard.

Think of it as a bit of an extreme take on what Terrans are best at - tossing missiles around - and ramping up the benefits and faults that go with it (higher single-use damage, longer reload times, lower quantity ammo stacks)

you've really put a lot of thought into this haven't you? If we do add it you will be the official tester. We'll be expecting field reports and everything.

The idea of mobs picking up on the sig of the charging weapon is even better than the weapon attracting mob attention. Perhaps some race's police will object to you pootling around with this item equipped in their space too? Not sure, but in most countries if you wander around carrying a high power sniper rifle (with all the recoil gubbins attachments etc) the local law enforcement don't tend to like it much.

So maybe have a fairly long install time (say 30 seconds to 1 minute), and you have to remain static, and pointed to within a few degrees of the target before the weapon primes.

I'm thinking about having either some subtle effects or using specially coloured buff icons, so one icon will come on when you've sat still long enough for the weapon to prime, and another will come on (but coloured say grey or blue) when you're pointed in the roughly the right direction, and then the same icon will change to a 'valid target' (red maybe) colour when you're pointed directly at the target. The only problem with this is that it's hard to aim using the keys, I wonder if there's a way to use the mouse to change direction without impulse engines coming on? Perhaps once you've got the direction roughly correct an auto-aim can take over.

Sorry to have to say this but...

You must be a WOW player by the look of that word I highlighted, which sort of explains your suggestion.:)

WOW is a retardedly imbalanced game and a really good example of badly thought through combat...

Anyway, a 15k range weapon with a 30 second reload needs to prettymuch instagib a mob, otherwise it's shield regeneration between each shot will nullify all damage.

So..

• You can forget about soloing high level mobs with this. Which is probably the primary idea behind it...

• If you can kill a mob using a 30 second reload weapon, you can just as well use your normal weapons because it will be a low level one.

Bottom line is that unlike my previous suggestion, this weapon does not pass for chuck norris style.

Sorry to have to say this but...

You must be a WOW player by the look of that word I highlighted, which sort of explains your suggestion.:)

WOW is a retardedly imbalanced game and a really good example of badly thought through combat...

Bottom line is that unlike my previous suggestion, this weapon does not pass for chuck norris style.

I played WoW for about 10 minutes from a friend's account: it seemed like a really cartoonish version of Final Fantasy.

My "Rogue" comparison stemmed from the Rogue of the EverQuest series of games, and from the Thief of FFXI (who had a pair of abilities called "sneak attack/trick attack" that when executed with proper timing and positioning, would do huge damage and transfer hate to the tank.

Done wrong, the Thief (or worse, the mage or healer that got "tricked onto" as opposed to the tank) would be dogmeat fairly quickly unless he has some serious luck and evasion gear/buffs on him.

As for the power of the weapon, I erred on the side of being quite conservative with the fire power of the weapon; I could see the Goddard ammo itself doing upwards of 10k damage per hit. Coming from the L9 upgrade ML, that could be in the neighbourhood of 30k damage, not accounting for mob rally/buffs or debuffs applied by (other) players.

That may well be more reasonable: take that with a properly executed line-up shot with the PW/tank getting hate transferred on him, with a doubled bonus (basically a guaranteed 100% critical hit, for the sake of mechanics) to do roughly 60k damage. On a raid mob, that's a decent chunk of hitpoints.

Like any new idea, it would need to go through tons of testing :)

As for the power of the weapon, I erred on the side of being quite conservative with the fire power of the weapon; I could see the Goddard ammo itself doing upwards of 10k damage per hit. Coming from the L9 upgrade ML, that could be in the neighbourhood of 30k damage, not accounting for mob rally/buffs or debuffs applied by (other) players.

That may well be more reasonable: take that with a properly executed line-up shot with the PW/tank getting hate transferred on him, with a doubled bonus (basically a guaranteed 100% critical hit, for the sake of mechanics) to do roughly 60k damage. On a raid mob, that's a decent chunk of hitpoints.

Like any new idea, it would need to go through tons of testing :)

the weapon would make the scout more of an 'archer' in fantasy terms really than a rogue. The JD is really the rogue, since he has to sneak in close and 'backstab' with the cloak bonus and critical strike.

I like the way you have to line up to get the shot, or risk getting severe aggro. It would make specialising in being a scout and pulling off a successful contribution to a combat party (without quickly becoming toast) quite an art. To me, that adds a lot of value to the idea. Nice one.

I have a little bit of concern with the using of this

weapon to farm for trade XP, when the word Mob is used.

If this is going to be a AOE weapon.

IMO

Like the JD Energy Leech or the JE Shield Leech the level

requirement should be at level 8-9 weapons build and L8 or 9

missiles in conjunction. (The Jenquai skills have a close range affect)

The ammo for a AOE weapon should be limited to a 2-3 missiles

per stack and a "Unique" Tag attached to the stack with a

Non-tradable. Then I could see the Massive hit points or higher.

See I'm coming around :) sorta.

I do know I want to be around when you / we test it.

It'll be like testing at Bikini Atoll, we can wear dark glasses

and have a count down, WTH, we can put a few Progen ships out

there too. :)

I want to be able to see this thing go off at 10.k away

then we'll appreciate the awsome power of the Tscout.

Phorlaug....

Edited by Phorlaug

As for stack size, I was thinking of stack of 30 or 40 (probably 30, since it is a multiple of 3, as fired by the L9 upgrade) - this would balance out the relatively limited TS cargo space and force him to either equip for combat specifically, and put the mining gear away.

Alternatively, the TS could take several stacks of these along, and handily KO any ore guardian or pop roid, if he handles himself wisely. Of course, this might be in itself a challenge, if there is more than one L50 Bio Extractor (these guys seem to travel in pairs) or a spawn of several L45+ Einherjar that are smart enough to pick up on the weapon charging signature.

Rationale: PE's can deliver short range withering fire onto these guardians/pop roids (still keeps combat advantage all around, no positioning/warm-up requirement) and JE's can cloak and run, or cloak and hit harder.

TS's get a big fat gun (erm, ML) and has to combine timing, tactics, and technique to off the same mob in one to three hits.

This would not be an ideal farming weapon, due to its slow reload time, and if maintained as a single-mob weapon.