Player Names

Just getting back to the OP, I've restarted the server so this feature is available. Use:

/capitalise

or

/capitalize

depending on spellynge preference (they both do the exact same thing).

This will capitalise/ize the last two characters of your char's name providing it's an abbreviation of any of the class names. This is saved to the DB, so it's then permanent.

If you can think of variations then please post, maybe capitalise <char> would insert the <char> you specified between the name and the postfix.

TB.

• 2 weeks later...

perhaps the offensive type names are made by kids who hope to shock, or intimidate.

i think its a basic lack of simple creativity or else no adult supervision.

or a plain lack of manners.

They do this type of thing because they have gotten away with it in the past in other places. This type of behavior has become socially acceptable or excuses made for it to continue.

I personally rarely cuss (yes by choice) and would prefer not to be involuntarily subjected to it.

vulgar language was not acceptable in public channels in live and I hope that continues here. private channels; guild/group/tells say what you want.

There are children who play this game, could be watching at any given time, and those of us who prefer not to use or read it so lets all show some consideration for others in public channels.

do you want me to add chat filters like we had live? We talked about humourous ones that work on a 'strike' basis, first couple of times the word just gets **'d then it gets ##'d and if you do it again everything you say comes out as 'blah blah blah de blah' or something else - there was a really funny filter idea but I can't remember what it was.

Just got to make sure it doesn't keep picking up things like 'hot water' as a swear word.

do you want me to add chat filters like we had live? We talked about humourous ones that work on a 'strike' basis, first couple of times the word just gets **'d then it gets ##'d and if you do it again everything you say comes out as 'blah blah blah de blah' or something else - there was a really funny filter idea but I can't remember what it was.

Just got to make sure it doesn't keep picking up things like 'hot water' as a swear word.

One potential problem is that some words that aren't dirty may be censored because there are dirty words in them. Say if someone typed the word Assume which isn't a bad word, unless you take off the "ume".

One potential problem is that some words that aren't dirty may be censored because there are dirty words in them. Say if someone typed the word Assume which isn't a bad word, unless you take off the "ume".

Agreed. If there's a finite amount of development effort, and I assume (!!) there is, I'd rather see it devoted to other efforts. People using language contrary to the agreed upon standard, in public channels, should simply be dealt with on a case by case basis. An occasional slip is no biggy (IMO), it happens, it's really the people that for some reason insist that somehow it's their "right" to express themselves however they see fit that cause this to be an issue.

Just discovered the /capitalize command and quite like it.

Does it only apply if the last two letters are in a list i.e. pp, pw, ps, js, jd, je, tt, te, ts?

Also bit of a snag with the character name checker i.e. it doesn't allow triple repeated letters. I had a problem getting the character name LotTT for example. I guess players will also run into problems if their "handle" ends in pp, jj (unlikely) or tt if they wanted to use the race/profession postfix.

Would it be possible to relax the rules in the character name checker a little perhaps not include the last two letters in the check if the last two letters match one of the above postifxes? And also perhaps permit iii i.e. the roman numeral for three - I think Lsb would appreciate that.

:)

Edited by Lot