Player Names

Can someone please make the player naming scheme a little better for players ? Is it possible ?

Instead of my name being [Vinhducanhtt], it would be nice to be able to have [VinhDucanh-TT] or [VinhDucanh_TT], or even just with a space like [VinhDucanh TT].

Can someone please make the player naming scheme a little better for players ? Is it possible ?

Instead of my name being [Vinhducanhtt], it would be nice to be able to have [VinhDucanh-TT] or [VinhDucanh_TT], or even just with a space like [VinhDucanh TT].

Hello,

I have always wondered why alot of players put a TT, TE, TS, PW, PP, PS, JE, JD or JS on the end of their name! I have never done this and have always tryed to come up with names that fit the toon I am making. I know more players do this then don't, but come on guys, put alittle effort into your toons names! :-) It is easy enough to figure out what eveyones toon is without putting those 2 letters on the end of your name. I can see it now, I could do this: MerlinTT, MerlinTE, MerlinTS, MerlinPW, MerlinPP, MerlinPS, MerlinJE, MerlinJD & don't forget about MerlinJS! I know, shut up Merlin! TTYL :-)

Merlin

• Upvote 2

I mostly do that so people don't have to recognize 8 completely different names just to know who I am. Anyway, while it is technically possible to do this, it's not something we'll probably end up doing, because we can't change the client, therefore we can't allow you to enter your username is such a way because of the way the client was coded and we have to do it directly through the database.

• Upvote 1

I mostly do that so people don't have to recognize 8 completely different names just to know who I am. Anyway, while it is technically possible to do this, it's not something we'll probably end up doing, because we can't change the client, therefore we can't allow you to enter your username is such a way because of the way the client was coded and we have to do it directly through the database.

You could always manually change our name in the database after we make a toon :):);)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I mostly do that so people don't have to recognize 8 completely different names just to know who I am.

Exactly. Oh BTW all my toons look alike and my ships are all painted with the same paint and decal scheme. Bit of a symmetry fanatic <_<

Exactly. Oh BTW all my toons look alike and my ships are all painted with the same paint and decal scheme. Bit of a symmetry fanatic <_<

It's funny you should mention that. I do the same thing, lol.

It's funny you should mention that. I do the same thing, lol.

I try to make mine quite different. But I do have another question.

You guys have been great at making sure names are kidfriendly. But now we have an influx of Hos. Stashho, Wormho, etc. And gee -- they're all women. Now if they made these toons men, I might not be offended. But the bigger issue is modeling behavior for children. Now we got Hos in the game, and most know exactly what this means, and if not, they will work to discover the meaning. We also have a Mofo -- short for what?

You guys do what you want. If that's the way it's going to be -- so be it. I just know what I shielded my kids from...

while I think enb is the least of our worries for what our kids are exposed to... I as well, have noticed na influx of questionable names on the server... I dont know what policy is... but usually I have pretty much all channels off anyway... but sigh that people cant show some thread of decency... and yes... I realize that in their minds these derogatory terms are decent... but there is a reason the word deluded exsists

You guys have been great at making sure names are kidfriendly. But now we have an influx of Hos. Stashho, Wormho, etc. And gee -- they're all women. Now if they made these toons men, I might not be offended. But the bigger issue is modeling behavior for children. Now we got Hos in the game, and most know exactly what this means, and if not, they will work to discover the meaning. We also have a Mofo -- short for what?

You guys do what you want. If that's the way it's going to be -- so be it. I just know what I shielded my kids from...

I'm pretty sure I know what most of those are and I too think there should be some restraint on the players who need to have these types of names. But... I have no clue what Hos means..lol as old as I am I thought it was Bonanza's middle son’s name.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Defender Phorlaug. hhhmm has a ring to it. <_<

Maybe they can alter chat to add the Character prefix to

the beginning of our chat ie: "JD) Phorlaug" or "JS) Phorth" etc etc.

But i'm guessing that'll mean altering the Client and we all

know thats a no no. OR

Everyone can turn on the race / profession chat channel for

their race and use that to ackknowledge their race and profession.

PhorlaugJD :P...

I'm pretty sure I know what most of those are and I too think there should be some restraint on the players who need to have these types of names. But... I have no clue what Hos means..lol as old as I am I thought it was Bonanza's middle son’s name.

That would be Dan Blocker a.k.a. Hoss

Edited by Phorlaug

That tics me off. People with offensive names will be dealt with... this is intended to be a family-friendly game. Please report any players you find with offensive names through the GM support ticket system. I'll handle the ones you mentioned above right now.

perhaps the offensive type names are made by kids who hope to shock, or intimidate.

i think its a basic lack of simple creativity or else no adult supervision.

or a plain lack of manners.

yes it works! I'll add a switch to capitalise the last two letters of your name if it's one of the racial abbreviations.

How about /capitalize and /capitalise (both so no-one gets confused depending on where you live).

EDIT: OK well I added this in, so you can use /capitalise or /capitalize to permanently change your name. This sticks in the DB so you only need to do this once.

It'll be on the server at the next restart.

But now we have an influx of Hos. Stashho, Wormho, etc. And gee -- they're all women. Now if they made these toons men, I might not be offended. But the bigger issue is modeling behavior for children. Now we got Hos in the game, and most know exactly what this means, and if not, they will work to discover the meaning.
OMG I just looked up what a HO is...thanks for telling me this. Now my pocket money savings have somewhere else to go since I was able to buy a PSP.
Now if they made these toons men, I might not be offended.
Wikipedia tells me male hoes also exist...how can female hoes be bad but males ones are ok? (removed)
We also have a Mofo -- short for what?
OMG again I checked that up! It sent me to a site called (removed)...thanks for the tips Toreava, much appreciated! Edited by Dakynos
Really? Please some courtesy
  • Upvote 2

OMG I just looked up what a HO is...thanks for telling me this. Now my pocket money savings have somewhere else to go since I was able to buy a PSP.

Wikipedia tells me male hoes also exist...how can female hoes be bad but males ones are ok? (removed)

OMG again I checked that up! It sent me to a site called(removed)...thanks for the tips Toreava, much appreciated!

Have you ever gone outside? Or is English not your native language? :P

OMG again I checked that up! It sent me to a site called (Removed)...thanks for the tips Toreava, much appreciated!

You're being sarcastic, right?

Kids aren't playing Earth and Beyond.

At least not kids that are young enough to be offended by the name "Wormho" or "Mofo"

Kids play games like Warcraft and Halo on Xbox Live. They are exposed to much worse than "Wormho"

• Upvote 1

Sarcasm? No. Family-friendly? Yes

Edit: Just wanted to add that ya might be surprised at the number of single-digit aged players there are.

Edited by Zinlu

Sarcasm? No. Family-friendly? Yes

Edit: Just wanted to add that ya might be surprised at the number of single-digit aged players there are.

also nieces/nephews that love to watch over shoulders

Earth & Beyond is intended to be a family-friendly game, and we will do our best to keep it that way, regardless of how many kids do play. We want the game to be something everyone can enjoy.

Most normal kids laugh at things like storageho...Repressive parenting seems the problem here.

If you still think you can let your 10 year old on the internet without them learning what the inside of a female looks like, you are living 10 years ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

believe it or not... some people actually refrain from vulgar language by choice... I know crazy... so I think it is a good call on the devs part to restrict language somewhat in public areas... and as I recall in guild chat or private channels you could say what you liked.... imo its not repressive to try and teach your kids to talk without using curses or slang that literally make no sense in the sentence

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Most normal kids laugh at things like storageho...Repressive parenting seems the problem here.

If you still think you can let your 10 year old on the internet without them learning what the inside of a female looks like, you are living 10 years ago.

More like 20 years ago, but that doesn't mean we should stop trying.

believe it or not... some people actually refrain from vulgar language by choice... I know crazy... so I think it is a good call on the devs part to restrict language somewhat in public areas... and as I recall in guild chat or private channels you could say what you liked.... imo its not repressive to try and teach your kids to talk without using curses or slang that literally make no sense in the sentence

Agreed,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1