Liam O'Faolin

Just a suggestion, for Liam O'Faolin's mission "Mining for a cause" (Don't know if this mission is JE only or all explorers), can he reward something different than a Roc device to help mining? Roc doesn't really help in mining at all as it's primary buff, Long Tractor Beam does not affect the distance from which an explorer can prospect. Distance that an explorer can mine from is determined by the Prospect skill. It's secondary buff, Scan range, can also be found on the Sculptor device, which both Scouts and Explorers can use, while Sentinels cannot. Instead I propose that the reward be either the Harpy or Sculptor devices. The Harpy is the best choice, if the mission is for all explorers, as the device does benefit mining, in that you can tractor in the things you mine more quickly, and is usable by all 3 explorer classes. If the mission is JE only, or Progen restricted, then the Sculptor is also a viable choice, given it's prospect buff, and at higher levels it's Scan buff. Given that Liam O'Faolin does say that the device he gives as part of the reward is to help one's mining.

so the 'long tractor beam' buff doesn't work yet?

I'll see if I can wire it up this week.

cheers,

TB

No, I'm saying that long tractor beam buff has no effect on mining, as Prospect range is determined by your Prospect skill. So the device really doesn't do anything for mining, as the NPC says.

No, I'm saying that long tractor beam buff has no effect on mining, as Prospect range is determined by your Prospect skill. So the device really doesn't do anything for mining, as the NPC says.

oh I see, tractor beam as opposed to prospect beam. Shouldn't the device make your prospect beam longer too? Which would help with mining?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? It sounds like I'm confused about it.

oh I see, tractor beam as opposed to prospect beam. Shouldn't the device make your prospect beam longer too? Which would help with mining?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? It sounds like I'm confused about it.

Roc has a buff of Long Tractor Beam, additional buffs are added at L5 (Scan) and L9 (Speed). Levels 5,6, and 9 also have a debuff of slow beam. Length of Prospect beam is determined by your level of the Prospect skill, with 2.5K at L7 Prospect (even if you have equipment that buffs prospect it doesn't increase your prospecting range, it does decrease the amount of time & energy needed to prospect). When you prospect anything that your prospect beam can grab, your tractor beam can pull in. I have not tested to see if prospect skill would affect tractor beam length when using it for reasons other than prospecting. Unless it's changed since Live, the only way to increase the distance at which you could prospect, is to spend skill points on your Prospect skill.

Roc is useful for looting corpses from further away, as well as things that are lootable that are free floating in space. In Live I had a Loony's Special Gizmoblatsit on my JE, which increased tractor range, increased tractor speed, boosted scan, and reduced sig. Made my prospecting faster because it sped up the tractor beam, also made me harder for the mobs to see, and able to see the mobs/roids from further away, but prospecting beyond 2.5K was impossible.

ok that makes sense. So the Roc wouldn't help mining at all, even if it were fully working, as you said originally. So the reward should be a different device.

Yes, thank you.